Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots (15442 Views)

World Cup 2014: Sepp Blatter Says He Is 'surprised' Lionel Messi Won The Golden / Super Eagles Defenders Present Performance And World Cup Qualifier / Africa Needs Local Coaches e.g. Kanu - Lagerback (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
FIFA President Sepp Blatter says Africa should get more spots at the World Cup, giving teams from the continent more chances to win the tournament.

For the 2014 World Cup, 53 European nations have been competing for 13 spots at the tournament. But the 54-nation Confederation of African Football will have five teams in Brazil, and Blatter says the continent is "woefully under-represented at the World Cup."

Blatter says that "as long as this remains the case, African sides may never win an intercontinental trophy, regardless of progress on the playing side. This flawed state of affairs must be rectified."

Writing in FIFA's new weekly magazine, Blatter repeated a call for the number of guaranteed World Cup berths for Asian teams to be increased from four.
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1594201/fifa-sepp-blatter-says-africa-get-more-world-cup-spots?cc=5901

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
I'm in favor of his suggestion. Africa's slots should be 6, while that of CONCACAF should be reduced to 2.5 from the present 3.5.

Also, Europe's slots could be reduced from 13 to 12, which would pave the way for an additional slot to go to South America (from 4.5 to 6).

2 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by ckkris: 8:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
Black Africans should also improve their domestic leagues, instead of STEALING THE MONIES donated by GLO & other sponsors. Fifa helps those that help themselves.

8 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Afam4eva(m): 8:33pm On Oct 25, 2013
African football is not really improving, so i don't think the slots of Africa should be increased. It's for the good of the game.

2 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Afam4eva: African football is not really improving, so i don't think the slots of Africa should be increased. It's for the good of the game.
I disagree. The likes of Nigeria, CIV, Ghana, Egypt, Burkina Faso and Cape Verde/Senegal deserve a world cup spot.

10 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Afam4eva(m): 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan:
I disagree. The likes of Nigeria, CIV, Ghana, Egypt, Burkina Faso and Cape Verde/Senegal deserve a world cup spot.
If they deserve a world cup spot then they should fight for it on the field of play. Until African teams start doing very well at the world cup, only then should our spot be increased. Most times African teams don't make it past the group stage, so on what ground should the spot of Africa be increased?

4 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 8:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
Afam4eva:
If they deserve a world cup spot then they should fight for it on the field of play. Until African teams start doing very well at the world cup, only then should our spot be increased. Most times African teams don't make it past the group stage, so on what ground should the spot of Africa be increased?
An African team has made the quarters on 2 consecutive occasions, while the best CONCACAF performances have been only Round of 16 appearance in the same period. If an African team makes the quarters next year, and no team form CONCACAF does the same, thenit would be justification for CAF's slots to increase to 6.

7 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Tolexander: 8:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
We don't need more slots.
He wants us to be disgraced abi?

4 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
Tolexander: We don't need more slots.
He wants us to be disgraced abi?
Like I said earlier, 6 quality African teams can hold their own.

Remember in the 2006 world cup, Portugal could only beat debutants, Angola, by 1-0.

2 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Afam4eva(m): 9:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan:
An African team has made the quarters on 2 consecutive occasions, while the best CONCACAF performances have been only Round of 16 appearance in the same period. If an African team makes the quarters next year, and no team form CONCACAF does the same, thenit would be justification for CAF's slots to increase to 6.
Granted that Africa may have performed better than the concacaf region, but i don't think that's enough to give her more slots. African teams at the world cup haven't done anything spectacular at the world cup to deserve more slots. What we have are just few moments of brilliance by African teams and that does not correlate to collective achievements.

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by PurpleHouse(m): 11:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan:
The world deserve is rather rude and arogant! Maybe you could have said "Deserve to Earn" coz every team that's gonna be there needs to earn and work for it!
Back to topic, I agree and disagree! I agree because truly, Africa needs to be well represented in the world soccer event like the world cup. The more the teams the more the chances of springing out a supprise!
But I disagree because, haaa! Imagine a group B match between Spain/Germany/Holland/Argentina/Sweden/France/Italy/Belgium/Japan/Russia/ VS Bokina Faso/Togo/Zambia/Ethiopia/Cape verd/kenya/Morocco/Libya/ etc.... How u see am now? And mind you any of these team at their best mood can spoil the party for Bigger countries like Nigeria, Ghana, Civ, Cameroon, Egt, senegal, Tunisia etc, but when they finally arive at the mudial, they will receive the BAshing of their lives and Embarrass Africa!
In terms of Football development, we are still miles behind! Way behind! But all the same, its a welcome development and one I strongly hope materialize! Especially if it will make Nigeria always be at the World Cup till End Time Things! ***Smiles***

2 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva: African football is not really improving, so i don't think the slots of Africa should be increased. It's for the good of the game.

No much publicity about it, plus the whole soccer system is corrupt.

Isah Hayatu as a case study.
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by safarigirl(f): 11:39am On Oct 26, 2013
@Purplehubs, any of Nig, CIV, Ghana or even Senegal can win Portugal, Uruguay and even Spain with just a little extra effort. In the 2010W/C Argentina could only score a controversial goal against a less-than-average Nigerian side. Now that some Africans are hiring indigenous coaches, they're playing better football e.g Nigeria and Ghana, we deserve more slots, at least 6 or 7. I was just about to start a topic on this, even at the U-17 level, we have just 4, why not 5? All 4 African reps made it to the next round, the only continent to achieve that. Africa's football is good, we've earned an extra spot.

5 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Afam4eva(m): 12:01pm On Oct 26, 2013
safarigirl: @Purplehubs, any of Nig, CIV, Ghana or even Senegal can win Portugal, Uruguay and even Spain with just a little extra effort. In the 2010W/C Argentina could only score a controversial goal against a less-than-average Nigerian side. Now that some Africans are hiring indigenous coaches, they're playing better football e.g Nigeria and Ghana, we deserve more slots, at least 6 or 7. I was just about to start a topic on this, even at the U-17 level, we have just 4, why not 5? All 4 African reps made it to the next round, the only continent to achieve that. Africa's football is good, we've earned an extra spot.
Playing better football and getting results are two different things. African teams are not getting the results at the world cup and not until they do that, their slots will/should not be increased.

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by EzePromoe: 2:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
Let U-17 slot be increased instead

1 Like

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Lilknight(m): 3:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
Naso e suppose be!!!
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Afam4eva(m): 3:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
Eze Promoe: Let U-17 slot be increased instead
I agree with this because African teams have won the world under 17 cup and have done very well in underage competitions.
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 26, 2013
Yes o
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by yomalex(m): 3:20pm On Oct 26, 2013
Good Thinking
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by AbuMikey(m): 3:26pm On Oct 26, 2013

Long Overdue tongue

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by skyscraperTM(m): 3:28pm On Oct 26, 2013
I agree with blatter
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by iamdsam: 3:29pm On Oct 26, 2013
I'm in support of this. Africa has been misrepresented for long. Looking at the number of countries in Africa, Africa deserves to have more teams in the world cup. We still need to improve on our side whether national teams or club teams.
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by bigt2(m): 3:31pm On Oct 26, 2013
I concur
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by 190theclown: 3:35pm On Oct 26, 2013
thank God im not african so this matter nor concern me angry angry
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Kairoseki77: 3:41pm On Oct 26, 2013
This is institutional racism.

FIFA is supposed to be a global organization, not a white one.

Europe cannot have 13 while the rest of the world only gets 4-5 spots.

Europe uses African, Asian, and Latin American talent in all of its European teams! If players felt they had more of a chance to get to the World Cup by staying with their national teams, our African teams would go better!

2 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
I tell ya.
During the last World Cup, it was 6 slots. I thought it has come to stay. But alas, FIFA told us that it rose to 6 slots cos an African country is the host nation.
After South America & Europe, Africa is the next power house of football.
FIFA, make our slots increase by 2022 o. Or else!
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
Yea, right! Nice move sepp,

And you had to wait till you are leaving to remember that.......

Political nimwits.......
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by tejpot(m): 3:51pm On Oct 26, 2013
If an African country has won the U-17 than any other country, if not for racism, why not increase our slot?
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by dedons: 3:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
Who is Sepp Blatter

Is he the old man with an AKPARI on his head

Why is he deceiving Africans

This is another sign of the END...

Anyway,first to comment.
Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Tonylyte(m): 3:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
I respect blatter 4 speaking 4 africa, buh where am confused is that, are they increasing africa's slot base on merit(performance) or becos they want us to have more opportunity to win the trophy?. As 4 me, i tink the 5 we've got already is oky....

2 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by slimthugchimee(m): 3:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I agree with this because African teams have won the world under 17 cup and have done very well in underage competitions.
with overaged players

4 Likes

Re: Sepp Blatter: Africa Needs More World Cup Slots by Tonylyte(m): 4:00pm On Oct 26, 2013
Even if they raise our slot to 12, south-africa wil stil find it difficult to qualify 4 wrld-cup. Lmfao.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rangnick Insists He WON'T Convince Pogba To Stay At Man Utd If He Wants To Leave / Final Medals Table Of The National Youth Games / Liverpool Finally Drop Points At Home To End Their 100% Home Record Attempt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.