Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:11 PM

Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? (14765 Views)

Monopoly Products In The Nigerian Food Market / Nigerian Food (Pictures Only) / Nigerian Food One Can Eat To Add Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Rossikk(m): 1:15am On Oct 26, 2013
Mudley313:

mi sef dey wonda...n surprisingly he's the one bragging about education fundamentals of international trade n commerce

there are lots of addidas sneakers made in china...does dat now make it a chinese product?

If China is producing Addidas sneakers then the Addidas sneakers it produces are CHINESE PRODUCTS.

When it exports said shoes, those shoes are counted as CHINESE SHOE EXPORTS.

Nobody says ''No! They don't count as Chinese exports because Addidas owns the factories used to build the shoes!!!''

Goodness! The level of economic illiteracy on this site is astounding. Sad thing is even when folks are shown the light, using other foreign examples etc, it is still unable to permeate their thick skulls.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Rossikk(m): 1:24am On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
You don't know the difference between a "Nigerian made product" and a "Made in Nigeria product". You're obviously the one who needs some education.

In the world of economics, industry and commerce, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the two. Shut up and learn something new for once in your life.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Afam4eva(m): 1:27am On Oct 26, 2013
Rossikk:

In the world of economics and commerce there is NO DIFFERENCE between the two. Shut up and learn something new for once in your life.
Dude, don't be stubborn to acquiring new knowledge. Don't let your ego get in the way of being schooled on para-economics. Don't say these things you're saying outside, so that you don't get mocked. learn now and be free. My classes are free.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Rossikk(m): 1:32am On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
Dude, don't be stubborn to acquiring new knowledge. Don't let your ego get in the way of being schooled on para-economics. Don't say these things you're saying outside, so that you don't get mocked. learn now and be free. My classes are free.

Keep making a dunce of yourself.

Here's a Bloomberg report on South African vehicle sales and exports:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-01/south-africa-vehicle-sales-fall-for-second-month.html

As we can see, Ford and other SA based firms are regarded as South African companies with their sales and exports described as ''South African vehicle sales and exports''.

....Go argue with Bloomberg with your ''para-economics'' (whatever the hell that means..)

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Mamacita007(f): 2:05am On Oct 26, 2013
o my God!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 26, 2013
Why do Nigerians think everything about Nigeria should be like every other? Each country has what's going for him. You can't have it all undecided undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 2:10am On Oct 26, 2013
Mamacita007: o my God!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked
You've just witnessed an economic lesson grin
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Mamacita007(f): 2:13am On Oct 26, 2013
CFCfan:
You've just witnessed an economic lesson grin

in fact, im so dizzy reading this economic lesson by afam4eva & rossikk. i have nothing to contribute haaahaahaa
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 2:17am On Oct 26, 2013
Mamacita007:

in fact, im so dizzy reading this economic lesson by afam4eva & rossikk. i have nothing to contribute haaahaahaa
Lol..The bottom-line is that goods manufactured in a country bear the tag 'made in ...." regardless of the fact that the company may be owned by a foreigner.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Afam4eva(m): 2:48am On Oct 26, 2013
Rossikk:

If China is producing Addidas sneakers then the Addidas sneakers it produces are CHINESE PRODUCTS.

When it exports said shoes, those shoes are counted as CHINESE SHOE EXPORTS.

Nobody says ''No! They don't count as Chinese exports because Addidas owns the factories used to build the shoes!!!''

Goodness! The level of economic illiteracy on this site is astounding. Sad thing is even when folks are shown the light, using other foreign examples etc, it is still unable to permeate their thick skulls.

This brings us back to the example i made previously juxtaposing "Made in China" products and "Chinese Made" products. The former does not count as the country's exports because in most cases, most of the shares are owned by foreigners.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by tope3x(m): 3:16am On Oct 26, 2013
by their name,you shall know them...oloshi
Motlalentoa: Err...'cause most people won't eat food
that smells bad or looks slimy.
undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by SuyaEater(m): 3:25am On Oct 26, 2013
Amefrica: grin Call me wizard! As if I knew this would make front page..

This is getting boring. 15th time in this month to comment first..

@Topic, maybe because of locust beans..

Hallelujah! Church in session.. *runs*

what an ediot
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by SuyaEater(m): 3:28am On Oct 26, 2013
The way white people look at africa they dont look at china like that.....to them anything associate with africa is seen as negative.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 3:41am On Oct 26, 2013
buoye1: I had rather call u a Lizard!!!!!!!Oshi rata ma rayo!!

...And because one of my besties opened this thread, ima leave you with ur pathetic life..

But next time, don't use ur stinking mouth to write a check ur g a y as-s cant cash! T w a t..
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 3:46am On Oct 26, 2013
SuyaEater:

what an ediot

Are you sane at all? Must you show how frustrated you are on here?

I think they should start screening on NL. People like you with low life shouldnt be here.

T w a t you are the dumbest guy ever liveth undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by MisterG: 4:06am On Oct 26, 2013
CFCfan:
That's what I'm saying. There aren't many small Nigerian restaurants in the U.S. either. I don't blame our people to much sha, because here in Southern California, one has to pony up close to $10,000 to set up a decent restaurant, due to the taxes, utility bills and supplies.

The problem Nigerians are not pulling their money and expertise like the Ethiopians did in both California and Washington DC. What is interesting a good percent of the business between on fairfax avenue btw Olympic and Pico are Ethiopia, and the area is designated as little Ethiopia.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_B6LDT7h6ArY/TCU4xTs2n1I/AAAAAAAACxc/TTGQFW1ZjmQ/s1600/rahel.jpg[/img]

and they attract many people from all backgrounds and walks of life.

Washington DC

Restaurants in Washington DC

Ever tried Ethiopian food? Washington, D.C. is home to the world’s largest community of Ethiopian emigres, and you won’t find better tibs or kitfo anywhere else in this country. Or maybe you’d like to try great Burmese cuisine, or the inventive tapas creations of chef Jose Andres. Whatever your tastes, when you visit Washington, D.C., make sure you bring your appetite.

View a list of Washington, D.C. restaurants and make a reservation online through our friends at OpenTable.com.

Suggested TourSpirit Dinner Cruise
Quite simply, a Spirit dinner cruise is the perfect night out. A magical setting enhanced by dazzling city sights and harbor lights. An evening filled to the brim with wonderful cuisine, live music and dancing under a canopy of stars. For a party of two, a couple of couples, or a grand affair for up to 600 guests, this is the ultimate Washington experience.

More info.

Odyssey Dinner Cruise

Step aboard Odyssey and enjoy a two-or three-hour escape to the signature elegance and total entertainment experience only a true luxury cruising vessel can provide. Creative appetizers, entrees and desserts prepared fresh onboard, daily. Award-winning wines. Dancing to live music. And unmatched views of the nation’s greatest monuments drifting past your table. Explore and discover Washington’s most luxurious dining cruise ship!

http://thedistrict.com/visitor-information/restaurants-in-washington-d-c/

The difference they came together collectively as a community and now making their mark in various areas in the United States, i have seen them open shop in places such as San Francisco and Seattle as well
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by MisterG: 4:12am On Oct 26, 2013
[quote author=Mister G]

edit
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by igbo2011(m): 4:36am On Oct 26, 2013
Because foreign is better. That is the mindset that most people of African descent have.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by MthimbaneZA(m): 5:41am On Oct 26, 2013
The main magnate would b our culture and how we attract and present our business. Look at the Japanese culture its so beautiful,that's why the sushi is such a hit throughout the whole world. They way it is prepared and presented it is classic.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Originalsly: 6:20am On Oct 26, 2013
Chinese have a long history of growing and cooking rice. Rice is eaten daily in most countries and most people do eat rice. As a meal rice is pretty cheap to prepare. Fried rice this rice that rice rice with this rice with that...mainly chicken...which most people are familiar with and do eat when it comes to meat. Rice and chicken is at the heart of any Chinese restaurant regardless of location...and their sauces and flavorings.For this reason...familiarity and cheapness...people order Chinese food. Now what foods would the Nigerian use to attract the non Nigerian? Fried rice?...unattractive unfamiliar. What else? Like someone said earlier...even if someone ventures in for a meal...if not really determined...customer service/attitude and presentation would turn the customer away...if not attitude from the cashier/counter person/waitress...then definitely from the manager who has to loudly boss someone around to let all know who is really d oga at d top. "Hmmm...excuse me please...but ma'am this food is a bit too salty can I..."
"Ah ah?...what are you trying to say?..that we don't know how much salt to add? ...abeg abeg stop complaining and eat the food oo. Mtcheeeeewwww". Let me shut up.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by boss1310(m): 6:48am On Oct 26, 2013
Nigeria and china na mate?do you know that as of 1920's chinese men run restaurant in US
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by boss1310(m): 6:48am On Oct 26, 2013
Nigeria and china na mate?do you know that as of 1920's chinese men run restaurants in US
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 26, 2013
Any food/dish made with flour,rice,peas and mix veg. including tomato will have universal appeal.

Italian pizzas,garlic bread are popular.
Indians with their curries,chinese..chow mien.

Food popularity comes with great restuarants and chefs.

We lack that...Our culture orientates us to avoid eating out when we can cook at home..even at schools in nigeria,students smuggle in hot plates to make their foods either to save cost or orientation.
We are trained to cook our foods.

Most people outside nigeria would prefer to make their dishes at home than eat in restuarant.

Besides our food varies...an hausa student or igbo man might find it frustrating enjoying his favourite dish in a restaurant in tottenham hale or woolwich and vice versa cos they might not prepare the foods the way they like them.

If Nigerian foods/restuarants are not very popular with Nigerians,it will take a while before other nationals start patronising us.

Our suyas are popular though..i,ve seen a white brit wanting to know where she could get some spicy suya.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by ballabriggs: 7:06am On Oct 26, 2013
Mister G:

The problem Nigerians are not pulling their money and expertise like the Ethiopians did in both California and Washington DC. What is interesting a good percent of the business between on fairfax avenue btw Olympic and Pico are Ethiopia, and the area is designated as little Ethiopia.

You also have Nigerian restaurants like those ones. The question is, how popular is an Ethiopian dish?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by isaiahethan: 7:26am On Oct 26, 2013
What food ?is it amala
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Allohrandy(m): 7:31am On Oct 26, 2013
I
ballabriggs:

You also have Nigerian restaurants like those ones. The question is, how popular is an Ethiopian dish?
I think Ethiopian restaurants is the most popular African restaurants. Most African restaurants in the states are operated by Ethiopians
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by ballabriggs: 7:32am On Oct 26, 2013
You see this boy called Rossik thinks he knows a lot but he is a very ignorant fellow. Some of the arguments I have seen here on nationality of products and organisations are arguments seen in the International Economics literature.

What is an American good? What is a Chinese good? What is an Italian company?

Debates are usually inconclusive on these issues as globalisation has increasingly made it difficult for economists to identify these things. Read Krugman's, International Economics where he writes about trade creation and trade diversion in custom unions to have a better understanding.

Point here is, when you come to a forum like this, you should be open to views from the other side. No one cares what fake articles you've been googling online.

The man Afam4ever has made valid points. I'm not saying he is right or he is wrong but his points are worth considering as we gain new knowledge.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by ballabriggs: 7:36am On Oct 26, 2013
Allohrandy: I I think Ethiopian restaurants is the most popular African restaurants. Most African restaurants in the states are operated by Ethiopians

Oh really. While in the UK, Nigerian restaurants are the most popular African restaurants.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
This brings us back to the example i made previously juxtaposing "Made in China" products and "Chinese Made" products. The former does not count as the country's exports because in most cases, most of the shares are owned by foreigners.

Guy, you are wrong. ROSSIK is actually correct on this one. Whether the company is foreign owned makes no difference. If the goods are made in your country and sent out of the country in substantial amounts, you are an exporter of that commodity. Whether it is made in or manufactured in Nigeria does not matter. Nigeria makes money when these goods are exported even if the foreign companies repatriate their dollars to their home countries. Your reference to Shell is a joke. Nigeria EXPORTS crude. PERIOD. Nigeria exports a shit load of timber, agricultural products etc

Do not mix up local manufacturing with exporting.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by ballabriggs: 8:33am On Oct 26, 2013
A-town:

Guy, you are wrong. ROSSIK is actually correct on this one. Whether the company is foreign owned makes no difference. If the goods are made in your country and sent out of the country in substantial amounts, you are an exporter of that commodity. Whether it is made in or manufactured in Nigeria does not matter. Nigeria makes money when these goods are exported even if the foreign companies repatriate their dollars to their home countries. Your reference to Shell is a joke. Nigeria EXPORTS crude. PERIOD. Nigeria exports a shit load of timber, agricultural products etc

Do not mix up local manufacturing with exporting.

He is not wrong and I can refer to evidences in the literature to support his assertions.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 26, 2013
ballabriggs:

He is not wrong and I can refer to evidences in the literature to support his assertions.

How so? Define Exports?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by ballabriggs: 8:49am On Oct 26, 2013
A-town:

How so? Define Exports?

Some of the arguments with identitying a countries exports can be seen in trade under NAFTA between US and Mexico. If someone exports a shirt to the US from Mexico, we say it is a Mexican export and it moves without barriers. However this shirts could have been partly finished in China and only the buttons fixed in Mexico.

Do we still then say it is a Mexican export? Do we say it us a Chinese export?

These are issues that are subject to never ending debates in the globalisation and trade literature. We can go on and on arguing this and we will never get definite answers to some of these questions as economists.

This is even a straightforward case, there are more complex cases with identitying exports from a country.

If you want more read on this, refer to Krugman's, International Economics: theory and policy, to have a better understanding.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Was The First Thing You Learned To Cook? / Health Benefits Of Our Everyday Naija Veg & Spices / Melon (egwusi) Peeling Machine--- Newly Constructed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.