Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,691 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims (8351 Views)

Top 12 Misconceptions About Islam / Top TEN Misconceptions About ISLAM / Ramad-amnesia, A Contagious Disease Among Muslims. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:16am On Oct 26, 2013
PROLOGUE

PEACE TO U ALL
Ok, i hope u can be patient with me, because this voluminous book i want to present, most people, particularly muslims may find strange. But of course you don't have to take my words for final. I am not shoving this down anyone 's throat. I don't expect anyone to gullibly swallow whatever i write as though i am that great elder or sheikh or mullah, which clearly i am not. I want to communicate with people with CRITICAL THINKING. This, GOD willing will be beneficial to even non muslims who humbly wan't to learn the truth about Islam. After surfing through this section, i found plenty of misconceptions being promoted among muslims. These misconceptions are numerous. I had a tough time just picking these ten minor ones.

10: ISLAMIC NAMES

09: ISLAMIC MONTHS

08: PROPHET MUHAMMAD WAS THE GREATEST MESSENGER

07: PROPHET MUHAMMAD WAS INFALLIBLE

06: PROPHET MUHAMMAD ESTABLISHED ALL ISLAMIC RITES

05: ONLY 'MUSLIMS' WILL INHERIT PARADISE

04: ISLAM IS FREE AND GUARDED FROM CORRUPTION

03: MUSLIMS SHOULD BETTER SUPPLICATE TO GOD IN ARABIC

02: MUSLIMS SHOULD BETTER RECITE QUR'AN IN ARABIC

01: QUR'AN IS AN OVERVIEW OR SUMMARY OF GOD 'S REVEALATION TO MUHAMMAD

Get a copy of translated English Qur'an by your side now. You 'll need it.

"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing,the eyesight and the brain, and you are responsible for using them" (QUR'AN 17:36)

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:23am On Oct 26, 2013
ISLAMIC NAMES

Minor? But significant. To be fair and square, most muslims believe there is a terminology known as Islamic Names. Most times, you see parent giving their giving their babies such names as Musa, Amina e.t.c and feeling like a million. Convert to Islam are pressed to changed their original name to the so called Islamic names for better, for worse. Additionally they insist that the name of the Almighty Creator is "ALLAH" and "GOD, JEHOVAH OR LORD" musn't be used to replace "ALLAH", for any reason. If you are from missouri, you won't accept this dogma, be you muslim or not.

First and foremost, there is no such thing as Islamic names, and what most muslims are referring to are arabic names and not all arabic names have beautiful meanings. Let us flesh out the last sentence. For instance, the names of persons like messengers in the Qur'an does not refer to the original names but the names by which such persons were referred to by Arabs before Qur'an revealations. For instance Moses was called Moshes by GOD in the Torah,just as the isrealites know him. Jesus was called Yeshua by GOD in the Gospel, the name by which the isrealites knew him. Nowhere in GOD 's previous scriptures did HE call Moses or Jesus as Musa or Isa. So which ones is the Islamic names, the original hebrew names or the derived arabic names? Your answer should be non, no such thing as Islamic names.

Long before Qur'an, arab pagans,christians and Jews had such names as Aisha, Muhammad,Mustapha, Halimah e.t.c. Some of then embranced Islam without changing their names. Even today arab non Muslims still give themselves such names. There are fine non arabic names like Elizabeth(GOD is satisfaction) or Lois(Holy), with respectful meaning. Yet muslims reject them.

Our names are reflection of our different backgrounds and languages/tribes which is among GOD 's awesome sign(Qur'an 30:22). So why try mask GOD 's sign by discriminating against non arabic names or insisting all muslim chose arabic names

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:26am On Oct 26, 2013
Now, on to GOD. "ALLAH" is not the exclusive name for our Creator,this has no Scriptural proof. "ALLAH" is only the arabic word for "GOD". And "GOD" is understood as an unfathomable,supreme entity(Qur'an 2:255), not just a name. The only reason why the Qur'an used the word "ALLAH" is because the Qur'an was revealed to an arab man,hence it had to be in arabic, "ALLAH" being the arab 's word for "GOD". Previous scriptures weren't in arabic, like Torah(Old testament) and Gospel(New testament). Hence "GOD" didn't call Himself "ALLAH" in those scriptures.

In old testament, exodus 6:2-3~ GOD called Himself "YAHWEH" and told us that Abraham and his progeny knew HIM as "EL SHADDAI". So Moses called GOD, "YAHWEH" and Abraham called GOD "EL SHADDAI", not as "ALLAH".

Before Qur'an revealation,arab jews referred to "GOD" as "ALLAH",arab christians referred to "Jesus or GOD" as "ALLAH"(Qur'an 5:18, 2:116). The arab pagans also referred to "GOD" as "ALLAH",although they associated partners with HIM(Qur'an 39:38). It is an historical fact that even before Qur'an, "ALLAH" was the name of one of the pagan gods or idols.

Lastly the word "ALLAH" is simply a conjunction of al(the) and illah(god/diety) which form "the god/diety(ALLAH)" when combined. Nothing more about it.

GOD tells us in the final testament that we can call Him with any respected name we prefer, He has no specific name. And to Him belong the most beautiful names(Qur'an 7:180, 17:110).

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:30am On Oct 26, 2013
ISLAMIC CALENDAR

As if it has any Islamic or divine origin, some people call it Islamic calendar. The appropriate name is "arab lunar calendar". Ancient pagans, moon worshippers, and Jews used this calendar long before Qur'an revealation. The arab muslims didn't invent it. Even the month names have no divine or Islamic meaning. For instance "Muharram" mean "forbidden","Safar" mean "empty". These months were named after the weather or seasons of arabs at that time. History also imply that the ancient arabs even before Prophet Muhammad may have used the lunar or lunisolar calendars with the same month names as today arabs do.

Those who still insist that the current arab lunar calendar is GOD only 's chosen calendar should beware. The word "month" occured 12 times in the Qur'an and the word "day" occured 365 times. The arab and gregorian calendar have 12 months. The gregorian calendar has 365 days!This is a sign for the intelligent, this is not mere coincidence. The arab calendar, however has 354 days.

Some muslims will still call the arabic lunar calendar, the best or most accurate. This again has no justification. Moon sighting is a delicate process prone to errors.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:33am On Oct 26, 2013
Sometimes,due to weather or cloud,the moon may be present but not visible. The sky may also be clear but depending on the hour of birth,the new moon may not be seen till the next day. Many muslims believe the new moon must be round. False. The new moon depending on location may be a thick or thin crescent. Yet,upon these the muslim clerics prohibited the use of telescope for moon sighting untill 30
years ago!
So, this is why muslims worldwide always contemplate on when to commence fasting. This is why they all can't start the fast on the same day or fast for the same number of days.

Furthermore,due to this inconsistencies, many muslim nations have sought after using astronomy related rules to determine the start of a new lunar month. Even Saudi arabia have to depend on a pre-calculated lunar calendar based on astronomical calculations for administrative purposes.

We don't have to stick with traditions. There exist a maths relationship for interconversion of lunar arabic calendar and solar gregorian calendar, so that we can make the best use of the two.

My aim so far, has been to tackle the misconception that the arab lunar calendar, is divine, Islamic, faultless, most accurate and only calendar endorsed by GOD. Not that i seek to condemn the calendar.

Qur'an 10:5
The moon can be used for dating(lunar calendar).

Qur'an 17:12
The sun can be used for dating(solar calendar). Recall that alteration of the two signs;day and night, depend on sun and earth rotation.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:38am On Oct 26, 2013
PROPHET MUHAMMAD WAS INFALLIBLE AND PERFECT

I hope you are not one of those who believe Prophet Muhammad was perfect,sinnless and had knowledge of the future beyond the Final testament. Else this post is yours. An educated acknowledger of GOD shouldn't follow such an erroneous conception. To compound the problem, there are those who even consider all his sahabas(friends/companions) as perfect infallible surbodinates who should be emulated,who learned and delivered accurately the truth, who the the prophet guaranteed success in Hereafter even before their death. Yet, according to Qur'an,there were bad eggs among these companions whose identity were never exposed. (Qur'an 9:101, 63:1,33:60)

We hear numerous things about the prophet. Like many muslim said he was sinnless,he didn't make mistakes in action or decision,all his deeds were divinely inspired, even his personal opinions were divine,binding upon all muslims. According to some, he smelt like perfume, he didn't have shadow, he had instant healing powers, he could bless or curse anyone.
Look at all these. Can these be true? We 'll soon know. In as much as GOD wants mankind, to obey HIS messenger, HE is fully aware that mankind have the tendency to cross the limit, setting the messenger as an idol. That is why GOD left down verses in HIS Book to guide.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:47am On Oct 26, 2013
A. Prophet Muhammad was a man like us,not infalible and had his fair share of physical and mental flaws like everyone.

"Say (0 messenger): 'I am only a man like you. It has been reavealed to me that GOD is One. So whoever hopes for the Meeting with his LORD, let him be righteous and associate non as a partner in the worship of his LORD.' "(Qur'an 18:110)

"Say(O messenger): ' I am only a human being like you. It is reavealed to me that your GOD is One. Hence take the Straight Path to Him and seek forgiveness of Him. And woe to the idol worshippers.' " (Qur'an 41:6)

Why does GOD also warn about idol worshipping at the end of these two verses emphasising Prophet 's humanity??

B. He did not know the future. He did no know what will happen in Hereafter, He could not curse or bless anyone.

"They ask you about the Hour(Day of Judgement): 'When will be it appointed time? Say: 'The knowledge is with my LORD. None can reveal its time but He....... They ask you if you have a good knowledge it. Say: 'The knowledge is with GOD, but most people don't know
Say(O messenger); 'I do not possess for myself any harm or benefit except as GOD wills. If i could know the future,then i would have increased my fortunes and no harm would have reached me. I am but a warner and bearer of good news to a people who acknowledge'(Qur'an 7:187-188)

He had no knowledge of the future or what will happen to him or any other person.
46:09 Say; I am not an innovation among the messengers,nor do i know what will be done to me or with you. I follow but which is revealed to me by inspiration; i am but a warner open and clear.....

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:48am On Oct 26, 2013
C. He commited mistakes and sins and was alerted by GOD in some cases(e.g Qur'an 80:1-10)

"So be patient, for GOD 's promise is true, and seek forgiveness for your sin, and glorify and praise HIM at dusk and dawn" (Qur'an 40:55)

It is given, that GOD support and fortify HIS messengers, giving them also miracles as proofs. GOD however leave HIS messengers with faults and flaws,unaware of future events like every other person. Communities of the past,hence could not accept GOD 's messengers due to their belief that GOD 's messengers must be divine and infallible(Qur'an 7:69). GOD tests us by sending his messengers with limited knowledge, fault and flaws. Those who believe messengers are divine and infallible,two steps ahead of average man fail the test, rejecting the message(Qur'an 17:94). Only those who are able to look beyond the messenger 's faults or flaws can see the truth. This why there are still jews out there waiting for the messiah to this day.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:53am On Oct 26, 2013
PROPHET MUHAMMAD WAS THE GREATEST MESSENGER

Another misconception,without scriptural basis,stark contradiction to Qur'an and big insult to other messengers of GOD. Yet supported by most muslims and their clerics. So these muslim praise him,celebrate his birthday and some claim GOD created the universe because of him. They add S.A.W after the mention of his name but only add A.S or nothing after that of the other messengers. They forbid any form of depicting him either in picture or drama, react when he is spoken ill of but care less about other messengers. All in all, they give more distinction to muhammad than any other messengers, whereas GOD did not. This is sin.

(Quran 2:285) ".... They(believer) say 'we make no distinction between one another among them(messengers)' and they(believer) say
'we hear and we obey'.
Qur'an 3:84 repeat the same assertion; Do not make distinction among GOD 's messenger.
To make distinction mean, to separate persons into ranks or rate them. Hence one must stop pointing Muhammad as the greatest of all messengers. One must stop preferring one messanger over the others for any function or rating one messenger above or below another,in any aspect.

Muhammad was not different from other messengers of GOD.
46:09 Say; I am not an innovation among the messengers,nor do i know what will be done to me or with you. I follow but which is revealed to me by inspiration; i am but a warner open and clear.....

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 2:55am On Oct 26, 2013
Yes, Muhammad delivered a magnificient Book,the Final testament all alone to the whole of mankind. It was an enormous mission. GOD however did not exalt him over other messengers. Unike Muhammad :
Adam, GOD created without parents,GOD asked all the angels to prostrate before him(Qur'an 15:28-30). Yet GOD did not exalt him.
Abraham, GOD called HIS "Friend"(Qur'an 4:125),who was never an idolator(Qur'an 16:123). Yet GOD did not exalt Abraham.
Moses, GOD "spoke directly" to(Qur'an 4:164). Yet GOD didn't exalt him above others.
Jesus, GOD supported with extraordinary miracles, talk about his "birth",his life and even his "death" was miraculous(Qur'an 5:110-113). Again GOD never exalted Jesus above any messenger.

Infact GOD spoke about all his messengers in equal light. Why then do some muslims chose to exalt or give more distinction to Muhammad.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:00am On Oct 26, 2013
PROPHET MUHAMMAD DELIVERED ALL ISLAMIC RITES.

Islamic rites are Salat(Prayer), Zakat(Obligatory charity), Fasting(Ramadan), Pilgrimage. This is a very popular misconception. Abraham, not Muhammad established this rites and these were practiced & passed down generations after generations by believers and subsequent messengers of GOD.

Qur'an 2:127-128 :
As Abraham raise the foundation of the sanctuary with Ishmael, (they said) "Our LORD, accept this from us....". "Our LORD let us peacefully surrender to YOU and from our progeny, a nation peacefully surrendering to YOU. And show us our RITES and forgive us.....

However, the Jews and Christians lost these rites(Qur'an 19:59) and that is why you hardly find them perform any of these rites. However, the world is very vast, there could still be very few jews and christians though rare, performing some of these rites.

Abraham invoked GOD for Salat
Qur'an 14:37
Qur,an 14:40 "My LORD, let me hold salat(prayer), and also my descendants..."

Zakat was establised and practiced from Abraham.
Quran 21:73 We made them leaders who guide by our command, and We inspired them to do good and hold the salat and zakat....

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:05am On Oct 26, 2013
Fasting was an Old established practice of believers before Muhammad
Qur'an 2:183 "O you who believe! Observing fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you,that you may become the pious".

Abraham and his son, did original build the sanctuary of GOD in Mecca and peformed or established pilgrimage for believers.

Qur'an 2:125-128
Qur'an 22:26 "We have appointed to Abraham the location of the sanctuary. (Saying) Do not set up anyone with ME, and purify MY sanctuary for those who visit,who kneel and prostrate"

Other messengers and their followers before Muhammad adopted these rites(Qur'an 10:87, 19:29-31, 31:17)

Meccan pagans before Muhammad adopted Abraham religion, although they did not devote their worship to GOD alone. With their beards, their turbans, they performed the ablution, salat , Zakat, fasting and Pilgrimage as today muslims. History and Qur'an tells this.
Qur'an 8:35 Their Salat at the sanctuary was nothing but deception and aversion.....
Qur'an 9:54 What prevented the acceptance of their spending was that they rejected GOD and His messenger, and they came not to salat except lazily and they don't spend except unwillingly.

We can learn that Muhammad didn't establish or get any divine revealation on how to perform these rites. These rites were common to those arabs even before he was born. All he did was to adopt these existing rites but devote them to GOD alone. This is what GOD meant by commanding him to "Follow the religion of Abraham" as thus:

Qur'an 16:123, 22:78

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:10am On Oct 26, 2013
ONLY 'MUSLIMS' WILL INHERIT PARADISE

The definition that; Anyone who claim to believe in Qur'an is a Muslim is wrong. And the notion that ; 'only muslims will inherit Paradise' more wrong in the context of most speakers.
According to GOD, those who believe without setting up partners and are righteous the true muslims who will enter paradise.

Qur'an 2:62, 5:69
"Those who believe, and those who are Jews and Christians, who believes in GOD and ressurection and work righteousness, on them shall be no fear or grief".
This is the minimum requirement to inherit paradise.

The name 'muslim' is not restricted to those who accepted Qur'an. And that one accepted Qur'an doesn't automatically make him a 'muslim'. Before Abraham there were muslims among the people of Noah, Ad or Thalmud, they believed in GOD 's messengers but did not perform salat,zakat,fasting or pilgrimage, as they were not asked to. Some of them existed during the era of Abraham without performing the islamic rite because they were unable to confirm Abraham 's messengership. Such people who simply believe and are righteous, though un able to confirm other messages of GOD may still not be extinct. GOD is pleased with them all.
As with the above verses, even during Qur'an revealation GOD informs us that there existed Jews & Christians then who did not accept the Qur'an but were righteous monotheists. Yes, they might not have performed the Islamic rites because their forefathers had lost them but they are not disbelievers. Even today such Jews or Christians could still be found. All of them, GOD guarantee eternal life.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:15am On Oct 26, 2013
This misconception is similar to one among the Jews, who undermined the gentiles and claimed they were the only on GOD is pleased with, forgeting that GOD sent messengers to other nations apart from Isreal(Qur'an 2:111). Now, as one who call himself a Muslim, ask yourself these questions:

Am i a muslim because i accepted Prophet Muhammad or because i devote my worship to GOD alone?
Do i observe the Qur'an or i abrogate it with other teachings that prohibit what it permitted or permit what it prohibited or gives other obligations?

According to Qur,an also most people who believe in GOD, end up joining others in worship with HIM, turning into idol worshippers unknowingly.
Qur'an 12:106; And most of them believe not in GOD except that the attribute partners unto HIM.

Idols are not restricted to sculptures alone. Names could be idols. Idol worshipping is in the heart. Following teachings that contradict the Qur'an, Gospel or Torah is idol worshipping. And most idol worshippers are oblivious of their crimes even when they are ressurected. They keep insisting they are/were monotheists(Qur'an 6:22-23)
Even some of the meccan polytheists claimed to believe in GOD since they worshipped no sculpture but GOD denied them several times in Qur'an, as polytheists(Qur'an 29:61)

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:20am On Oct 26, 2013
INTERMISSION

If for any reason you are a proponent of all the first six misconceptions, then most likely you may not agree with the rest of this book. Please, it is never too late. I was in the same position sometimes back.

I used to be one with these ten misconceptions but thankfully i have eaten the crow.
Use to be stuck in the past and dark,but found out i wasn't being realistic.
I used to wonder about these misconceptions but i never got better.
Then a voice came down from the sky and said, "usermane,use your head"
I had to re-evaluate my thoughts, brooding about these misconceptions.
Had to keep a strong faith believing,knowing one day i 'll understand better.

But i knew it wouldn't come that easy
Seen a whole lot of hate,believe me.
Despite all the troubles,we still have to work hard to find the truth.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:24am On Oct 26, 2013
ISLAM IS FREE AND GUARDED FROM CORRUPTION

Another grave misconception. Although GOD promised to preserve the Final Testament, GOD did not promise to protect or preserve Islam. Let us further probe this.
Every Tom,Dick and Harry is aware of the numerous sects of muslims, with varying beliefs and all claiming to be Islam. Which one of these sects did the prophet preach? Do i just join anyone or join the bandwagon or just assume the sect of my parents or community is the truth. Well, well, the existence of sects in Islam today prove beyond doubt that Islam is not as corruption free as Muslims may believe.
Qur'an(6:159) Verily, those who break into sects, you(messenger) have no concern with them. Their affair is only with GOD,who then will tell them what they did.
Qur'an 30:22, 23:53.

None of these sects members will agree they are a sect. But their teachings and practices, will expose them. When a prophet come with new scripture, the believers are united. As soon as the messenger dies, some of the believer subscribe to other teachings or books that contradict the scripture,the only book of GOD, instantly creating a sect. Thus, they betray the prophet and his message.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:29am On Oct 26, 2013
The ummayads and abbasids who took over the Islamic state after the prophet 's death were more concerned with power and wealth than the Islam. Islam during that period wasn't saved of ill innovations, and spiralled downward. Centuries, later a call was made to reconcile and redefine Islam as GOD revealed it. But then, with the centuries long gap between then to the era of the prophet, there was hardly any good that could be done. Thus, today Islam, as practiced by majority have very little if anything to do with the Islam of the Prophet 's era.

Now, for the the proponent of this conception,
Why do you think GOD permitted human and jinn enemies of the prophet 's mission to narrate lies and the fabrications in other to decieve and deviate believers (Qur'an 6:112). These narration were started before the prophet 's death and became widespread and sought after his death. Only true believers will be able to do away with these fabrications(Qur'an 6:113)

Secondly, why do you think the prophet will complain on Judgement day that muslims DESERTED the Qur'an(Qur'an 25:27-30). 'Desert' here is a strong language. And the proceeding verse explains why, refering us back to Qur'an 6:112.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:35am On Oct 26, 2013
Do you now accept truth and rid yourself of this misconception?

It is an obvious thing, that most muslims and their clerics do not abide by the Qur'an. When you warn them using the GOD 's verses, you are termed as 'heretic',rejected or killed as apostate(Qur'an 22:72).

GOD promised the believers happiness not only in hereafter,but even in this world(Qur'an 10:62-64, 11:3, 16:97). The predicament of the muslims today completes the story.

The intriguing truth is that the early arab muslims as early as the 7th century rose to the pinnacle of civilisation when the lived by the Qur'an alone. Even the armericans and europeans know this. As soon as they subscribed to other books' teachings at the expense of the Qur'an, opening the door for corruption, they were relegated and have been held back ever since.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:47am On Oct 26, 2013
MUSLIMS SHOULD BETTER SUPPLICATE IN ARABIC.

Most muslims pray to GOD in arabic,thinking arabic is the ideal language to get GOD 's quickest response. Some ask GOD for their need in their dialet then recite some verses(most without any relevance to supplication to GOD) of Arabic Qur'an or other arabic words[(du'as)(heedless of the meanings)]. Such du'as can be found in several books indicating specific arabic du'as for specific wants,that muslims in one sitting recite hundred to thousand times. Some muslim wrongly believe these du'as are 'magic words', GOD prefer and instantly respond to. Some muslims even write on slate, Qur'an verses or those arabic du'as, wash the ink in a container and consume to heal them of illness.

This huge misconception discourages one from supplicating to GOD in one 's language,words or manners. At times it doesn't make sense. Read the meaning of Chapter 112, for instance, which muslims love to recite in their supplication. You will observe that it has nothing to do with supplication to GOD.

Somehow, this whole 'prayer' must better be in arabic is an illusion. And there are no such thing as 'special magic words' or specific du'as that exclusively guarantees instant grant of one request.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:50am On Oct 26, 2013
You don't need to spend extra dough or time on those prayer(du'a) pamphlets. You don't need to have special prayer sessions with any priest. Do away with protocols, formality,or comformity. Sit,stand or lie in humility, anywhere or anytime and invoke or supplicate to GOD in your tongue, in whatever language, with whatever wording of your choice and for whatever you want. It is all the same, how ever you choose to do it.

Qur'an 2:186
When My servants ask you about Me, I am always near. I answer their prayers when they pray to Me.....

Lastly, we can learn from these righteous servants, how to pray or supplicate.
A. They supplicated in their dialet
B. Used their personal wordings
C. Did not additionally recite verses of the scripture or specific du'as

Qur'an 2:67, 28:16, 71:28
Qur'an 3:36
When she gave birth to her,she said, "My LORD, I have given birth to a girl"..... "I have named her Mary and I invoke Your protection for her and her descendants from the rejected devil."

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:53am On Oct 26, 2013
02. MUSLIMS SHOULD BETTER RECITE QUR'AN IN ARABIC

This is an elephant in the room. Even non muslims know there is something wrong with reciting Qur'an in a language you understand not. They know getting meaning should be the concern. The prophet was not chosen to deliver the final testament because it message was in Arabic. The message had to in arabic because the final testament was to be delivered by a man whose mother tongue happened to be arabic. Had GOD chosen an English man, the Qur'an would have been revealed in English. GOD can express HIMSELF well in any language.
Qur'an 41:44, 42:7

Due to this misconception, many non arabs turn away from translated Qur'an that delivers them the message to arabic Qur'an which they mostly recite even though they don't know what they are reciting. To these guys they 'd rather read the direct arabic words as uttered by the prophet than the translation. What! how does GOD reward one for reading the scripture in a language he doesn't understand. If only they had utilised their several hours of reciting several chapters in arabic, with fast and song-like tone for studying one chapter of a translated Qur'an, it would have been better for 'em. While some of them claim the Qur'an is difficult to understand without other books or preachers. The Qur'an however reject their claims(Qur'an 54:17).

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 3:56am On Oct 26, 2013
As a result, most of them do not uphold the Book of GOD. And GOD describe such people as donkeys carrying a pile of books(Qur'an 62:5)

They prefer to be spoon fed by scholars,clerics,sheikhs and mullahs. Though few of these clergy above may be okay, the Qur'an criticizes those who take their words for it(Qur'an 9:31) and warn believers of the dangers of the clergy in general(Qur'an 9:34). How do a non muslim get to appreciate Islam when the Qur'an recitation from the speakers of a nearby mosque is in arabic. How do i listen and pay heed to a recitation that i don't understand(Qur'an 7:204).

With this misconception, it is no wander why the ummayads and abbasids enforce arabic exclusively in the non arab kingdoms they conquered,why the ottoman chiefs banned printing of Qur'an with death penalty. It is no wonder why before 150 years back, translating Qur'an was a taboo.

Those who hamper,the translation of Qur'an and encourage reading arabic Qur'an over translated copies are guilty of concealing GOD 's revealations. And GOD promises them severe retribution(Qur'an 2:174). Qur'an should be translated in various language for everyone. Qur'an is not mean for arabic speakers or muslims alone.

Now, if you(muslim) are out there, and can't recite arabic Qur'an. Don't worry. Get a translated copy,seek GOD 's protection from satan(Qur'an 16:98). Recite at your own pace with critical thinking. Don't expect to get everything over night in one read,you have to go cover to cover many times to become much familiar. It is a gradual but rewarding process. Ask GOD to increase you in understanding(Qur'an 54:40, 20:114). You may ask some persons on where you are stuck,but be objective of what they tell you. Don't stick permanently with only one translation, go through other translations too to check few translation errors. Careful with translations found in google although you can find real good ones there, whose hard copies are out of your reach.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 4:07am On Oct 26, 2013
01:
QUR'AN IS A SUNMMARY/OVERVIEW OF GOD 'S REVEALATION TO MUHAMMAD

Before we begin to trash this misconception lets take note

Qur'an 2:02,12:01
Qur'an verses are clear, specific,certain, and doubtless.

Qur'an 6:21, 7:182
Those who disagree with GOD 's verses are wicked and will be losers.

Now shall we get to work?
Qur'an 6:114,7:52,10:37,12:111,16:89,41:3
Qur'an isn't fabricated, it isn't summary, it is infallible,fully detailed explanation of everything

GOD condemn those who disagree with the above verses(Qur'an 6:39)

GOD mean from all the above verses that Qur'an entails all the bits,pieces,hints and examples believers need and can thus be studied independently by the sincere.

GOD reveal His scriptures as trial for man. When GOD tests us he equip us fully first, so we have no excuse to fail. GOD thus, won't reveal His scripture, written down but leaving out details in the mouth of fallible men. GOD records His scripture wholly in writting before His messenger dies, leaving out non of his revealations unrecorded, in the hands of men with the risk of getting mixed with fabrications or falsehood to mislead the righteous. This is GOD 's pattern as THE MOST JUST.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 4:11am On Oct 26, 2013
But as mankind is never satisfied, alot of persons still won't believe Qur'an is detailed or explanatory enough. Qur'an spoke about these kind of persons.(Qur'an 18:54). These people are not satisfied with GOD 's details and want more.

As a lecturer, when you ask your students to just write and essay. They ask for more details like; "how many pages or words, should it be written or printed?". And more questions for details arises. They make the simple homework tasky for themselves.
Also when GOD state dress code for believers they ask for extra details. They ask; "which colour is best for men,and which for women?". When commanded to perform salat,zakat or fast,they ask; "at what age should our kids start salat,zakat or fasting?". When they don't find the answers to their questions in the scripture, they say "Qur'an doesn't explain everything. They are being feeble minded and such persons can't understand Qur'an.

The Isrealite did the same thing. Asking too much for detail and they nearly failed this test ;Qur'an 2:67-71.

The jews even today believe the Book of Moses was an overview or summary of GOD 's revealation,that it doesn't explain everything. GOD denied this(Qur'an 7:145)

Qur'an 5:101-102
GOD warn us about asking for extra details outside his Scripture; Qur'an. And that He left out such details due to His mercy. HE tells us asking for such detail equal to asking for burdens which eventually may turn us to ingrates or disbelievers. However, mankind including most muslims, have failed to learn from their history or GOD

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 4:14am On Oct 26, 2013
Therefore,rid yourself of this misconception. Free yourself of unwarranted workload. Islam is not a bunch of dos and don'ts on every petty, little thing. Qur'an detailed as much as
-how to greet fellow believers(6:54)
-what to say before we start reading the Qur'an(Qur'an 16:98)
-what to say when we plan to do something in future(18:24). What more could a believer want?
Accept with humility GOD 's repeated assertion that the Qur'an is fully explained with all details and enjoy a perfect life in this world and hereafter.

Qur'an 59:21
If We revealed this Qur'an to a mountain,you would see it trembling,crumbling of of reference to GOD. We cite these example for the people so they may reflect.

1. Such a Book 's teachings shouldn't be abrogated by other books(Qur'an 2:41)
2. Such a Book is detailed,self explanatory with enough examples(Qur'an 6:114, 16:89, 30:58,18:54)
3. Such a Book can stand alone(Qur'an 18:27)
4. Such a Book is satisfaction(Qur'an 18:27).

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 4:17am On Oct 26, 2013
EPILOGUE

This, which i have presented from the bottom of my heart is not a propaganda or conspiracy against muslims. These are misconceptions that have plagued muslims for long. I hope you have learnt a couple of things. It would be worth a good read by anyone intending to learn about Islam, even the non muslims could get some of their questions on Islam answered.

You may share this with your family and friends. I urge you to read and verify the evidences,facts and examples. I apologise if i have offended anyone. Please deal with this proffesionally. Thanks.

PEACE BE UPON YOU.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Infomizer(m): 10:20am On Oct 26, 2013
I really appreciate the painstaking efforts you put into compiling this piece. I wish religious folks would be more like you and be critical in their analysis of religious texts. Well done bro, may the force be with you! wink
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 11:21am On Oct 26, 2013
Infomizer: I really appreciate the painstaking efforts you put into compiling this piece. I wish religious folks would be more like you and be critical in thier analysis of religious texts. Well done bro, may the force be with you! wink

Thanks, very well my friend. I do wish as you do and i hope,pray our wishes be granted.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 26, 2013
Waiting for this to reach FP next week friday then I will comment. All I can say is muslims should learn to take criticisim well
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 12:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
goldylock: Waiting for this to reach FP next week friday then I will comment. All I can say is muslims should learn to take criticisim well

Encouraging post, my friend. I do hope it make the FP. And i am glad you did learn from the thread.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 12:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
This is a constructive criticism, aimed at correction and not ridicule.

Guys, come out, come out wherever you are.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by babestell(f): 1:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
shocked
@ OP, well written article. - hope you are ready for the forthcoming onslaught ie if the mods don't hide this thread. Mosy of the comments you made also apply to other religions in their own context.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Concept Of Cleanliness In Islam / Ruling On Trading In Currencies / What Could Be Worse Than Abandoning Prayer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.