Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims - Islam for Muslims (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims (8330 Views)

Top 12 Misconceptions About Islam / Top TEN Misconceptions About ISLAM / Ramad-amnesia, A Contagious Disease Among Muslims. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 16, 2013
Many Mufassir (interpreters) don't even spare the person of holy prophet
(saws) from rebukarble acts "Frown and turn away (in anger)", they
instantly concluded the "frowning and turning away" refer to the
prophet; despite earliest surah says: "Had you been mean to them, they
would have deserted you". "Indeed you are of (most) exalted character"![/quote]

@ al baqir, a question .please what is the difference between "tafsir" and "ta'wel"?
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2013
[quote
author=Dewze]

imagine if you had written all these response in Arabic. It would have
made no sense to me and therefore have no impact at all on me, no matter
how deep they are. That is the point the OP is trying to make.

Infact the OPs write up has given me some sense of faith in Islam far
more than any of u other so called teachers have done on this
thread.[/quote]

what is dis one saying? The Op have succeded in telling u "what he thinks" about the Qur'an and islam not what is the Qur'an and islam. Dats the point tbaba and vexdacool are trying to tell u.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 9:30pm On Nov 16, 2013
Al-Baqir, is it possible to believe in Muhammad without believing in all other messengers? I doubt it. To make distinction is to judge or rank them. And what Muslims today have done is give Muhammad more distintion than other messengers which would not have been wrong if there were verses to back that up.

Micheal H. Hart 's book was just a personal research, wasn't of divine origin,hence prone to errors. Secondly the book was not about the greatest messenger but about greatest men. The best student in the class is not same as best student in Mathematics.

Again in your own hadith book, Muhammad asked that nobody should say he(muhammad) is better than Jonah ibn matta.
Sahih Bukhari,Book of Prophet 4.625
Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book of tafsir of the Prophet 6.128.

So many times, the Qur'an ask us, believers including Muhammad to look up to Abraham but even with that you people maintain that Muhammad was the greatest and yet you can't quote a single verse to justify your claim.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 9:52pm On Nov 16, 2013
Sheykul Islam:

@ al baqir, a question .please what is the difference between "tafsir" and "ta'wel"?

"Tafsir" is the verbal conventional interpretation of the Qur'an while "Ta'wil" is the esoteric (inner) meaning of the Qur'an.

A very good example is the dream of Nabi Yusuf reported in the Qur'an. He dreamt 12 stars and moon bowed down for him.
Nabi Yaqub (a.s) (and many other then) simply interpreted it to be a greatness status of his son Yusuf (a.s)but the esoteric meaning (Tawil) only known to Allah was evident when Nabi Yaqub, and his other 12 sons bowed down for Yusuf for his greatness.

Allah explains "Ta'wil" in surah al-Imran vs 7.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 11:12pm On Nov 16, 2013
usermane: Al-Baqir, is it possible to believe in Muhammad without believing in all other messengers? I doubt it. To make distinction is to judge or rank them. And what Muslims today have done is give Muhammad more distintion than other messengers which would not have been wrong if there were verses to back that up.

Micheal H. Hart 's book was just a personal research, wasn't of divine origin,hence prone to errors. Secondly the book was not about the greatest messenger but about greatest men. The best student in the class is not same as best student in Mathematics.

Again in your own hadith book, Muhammad asked that nobody should say he(muhammad) is better than Jonah ibn matta.

So many times, the Qur'an ask us, believers including Muhammad to look up to Abraham but even with that you people maintain that Muhammad was the greatest and yet you can't quote a single verse to justify your claim.

No Muslim has and will ever asserted such belief - to believe in Muhammad but not other prophets.
But we believe he's the greatest of all.

The fact that Qur'an was revealed during the time of the bearer of the message, Muhammad (saws) ;and majorly talks and remind muslims of the people of the past to learn from(compare to biblical false narration about prophets) and being concern about giving code of conduct to a morally decayed society; all these and more factors limit the praising and personal glorification of the holy prophet (saws).

Imagine Musa (a.s) was mentioned several times in the Qur'an than Muhammad (saws). Does this make Muhammad less important than Musa? No. Muhammad (saws) exalted personality lies in so many command in the holy Qur'an e.g "Obey Allah and His prophet..." He is a living role model to be followed, obeyed and emulated in every A, B, C, D's of life.

Muslims might be enjoyed to learn from the piety, perseverance, sagacity etc of a particular too many prophets but the combination of all these virtues is embodied in the person of Muhammad (saws). In fact why would Qur'an talks about him every now and then when he was with them flesh and blood? Qur'an simply says:

"VERILY, in the Apostle of God you have a good example for everyone who looks forward [with hope and awe] to God and the Last Day, and remembers God unceasingly"~Q33:21

Verses to back Muhammad's greatness over other prophets? There abound many verses in the holy Qur'an to that."

Michael H. Hart's book might truly be personal research work but he research into the life of Muhammad and found him exalted above any other man. Not only Michael but many other western and religious scholars; hence, Qur'an says:

VERSES TO JUSTIFY MUHAMMAD's GREATNESS OVER OTHERS!

NB: Muhammad was addressed and exalted in a way never been given to any other prophet.

1. "Have We not expanded thee thy breast?
And raised HIGH the esteem (in which) thou (art held)? ~Q94 vs 1 and 4

(Yusuf Ali comment: "The breast symbolically the seat of knowledge and the highest feelings of love and affection, the treasure-house in which are stored the jewels of that quality of human character which approaches nearest to the divine..."wink

2. "...for thee: soon will thy Lord Raise thee to a station of Maqaman Mahmudan" ~17 vs 79.

Yusuf Ali again writes: "To the prophet was to assigned in the hereafter the highest post of honor and glory - Maqama mahmud. There is much mystic meaning in this, implying his excellence above all prophets..."

3. He was referred to as "as-Siraj al-Munir"

"And as one who invites to Allah’s (grace) by His leave, and as a lamp spreading light (Siraj Muneer)" [Al-Ahzab 33:46].

Yusuf Ali writes: "...the prophet also come as a light or lamp (siraj) to illuminate the whole world...elsewhere the same word (siraj) is used for the sun. The comparison is apt. When the sun appears, all the lesser lights pale before his light...."

NB: I only limit myself to Abdullah Yusuf Ali's Tafsir. Am I to go into classical Sunni or Shi'i tafsir of each of those ayah, you will bite more than you can chew.

4. Referring to many abundant verses in the Qur'an can never do justice to the personality of Muhammad (saws). In fact the greatness of the Qur'an as a whole, the impeccability of the Qur'an, the infallibility of the Qur'an, the beauty (jamal) and the perfection (kamal) of the Qur'an, which NO prophet has ever been sent with, is the mirror image and summary of Muhammad (saws)'s greatness over all other prophets.
He was walking and working and talking Qur'an.

Lastly as per the hadith you quoted, you already know my position as a shi'a on al-Bukhari and other books of hadith. I only take whatever complies with the Qur'an in it and discard what contradict it.

"He was Muhammad (saws), mercy upon mankind..."~Zain Bhikha.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 8:02am On Nov 17, 2013
Funny,how some people wanna twist my words as a weapon against me. Did i ever say understanding of Arabic is irrelevant to understanding Qur'an? Even Dewze tried to correct most of you but a lot prefer to find fault in my article than find truth in it.

For the last time, understanding arabic is a catalyst to fasten the understanding of Qur'an but it is NOT a prerequisite for understanding the Qur'an. My message so far has been; "if you do not understand arabic, u are better off reading a translation where you get to learn something than reading pure arabic text like a poem where you learn nothing"

People tend to talk about how much it is better to read the direct word of God but they forget certain elements:
Qur'an is not simply paper,ink and alphabets. Neither is it restricted to a particular language. It is the message that is the Qur'an. Qur'an is not from the tongue and lips, it is embedded in the mind or heart. In whatever language, u read it, as long as you are delivering God 's message, you are reading the Qur'an.
For the records, we don't even have the original arabic Qur'an, the ummayad ruler Marwan Ibn Al-Hakam(died 684AD) destroyed the original copy written by Muhammad 's own hand for certain reasons.
Scribes that tried duplicating the original Qur'an commited scribal errors even though the message of God itself was unaltered.
The original Qur'an did not have vowels or vocalization marks, these additions we have in today 's copies are therefore from scribes and not necessarily from God.
Hmmh... So much for insisting Qur'an must be read in arabic.

Lastly, look what you people have done to a book that God said is user friendly(Qur'an 54:17). You,traditional muslims decide to forge manuals for it with certain concepts like Hadiths,Sunnah,reason for revealation,tafsir,fatwa,ijma e.t.c, consequently driving people from the truth. Yusuf Ali understand arabic, why then does he get certain words wrong like ummy(gentile) in Qur'an 7:158 which he translated as illiterate. Common logic should tell even a non arabic speaker after reading the Qur'an that the Prophet was a literate(Qur'an 96:1-5,68:1). What is even worse is that according to the traditional Muslims, even understanding arabic is not enough to understand the Qur'an. You might be aware of this already, else ask you clerics.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 8:20am On Nov 17, 2013
usermane:
ISLAM IS FREE AND GUARDED FROM CORRUPTION

Another grave misconception. Although GOD promised to preserve the Final Testament, GOD did not promise to protect or preserve Islam. Let us further probe this.
Every Tom,Dick and Harry is aware of the numerous sects of muslims, with varying beliefs and all claiming to be Islam. Which one of these sects did the prophet preach? Do i just join anyone or join the bandwagon or just assume the sect of my parents or community is the truth. Well, well, the existence of sects in Islam today prove beyond doubt that Islam is not as corruption free as Muslims may believe.
Qur'an(6:159) Verily, those who break into sects, you(messenger) have no concern with them. Their affair is only with GOD,who then will tell them what they did.
Qur'an 30:22, 23:53.

None of these sects members will agree they are a sect. But their teachings and practices, will expose them. When a prophet come with new scripture, the believers are united. As soon as the messenger dies, some of the believer subscribe to other teachings or books that contradict the scripture,the only book of GOD, instantly creating a sect. Thus, they betray the prophet and his message.

Dear username,
Little understanding of a subject always makes you misconstrue matters. Some of your view are true while some are faulty assertions.
You see there's ISLAM and there are MUSLIMs. ISLAM is perfect, free of corruption:

"...today we have perfected your religion, and chose for you, al-Islam..."~Qur'an

That was the result of the labour of 23years of prophetic struggle. ISLAM is a formulated (by God), complete WAY OF LIFE in which if follow as prescribed will bring peace and emanate that intrinsic inner qualities which lead to perfection.

On the other hand, MUSLIM is a being not a programmed (compelled)robotic object. Human being generally are created with perfection and in due proportion (Qur'an says); then his Lord gave him power of intellect(quwati shawiyah) and free-will (ikhtiyar) (quran says). After that the two paths of Good and Bad are shown to him. Then he's been warn (primarily by his intellect, then prophets are sent to direct him, then books of guidance are left behind for him): whoever chooses the right path is successful; and whoever chooses the wrong side is doomed.

The center of Islam is Qur'an! The building of Islam is Muhammad (saws)! These two entities remain pure till the end of days. They remain as they are forever. Muslims are just the inhabitants of this building who paints it with different colors owing to different room you find yourself. We are the problem not ISLAM. Why hasn't Qur'an(the centre of Islam) been falsify? Torah and Injeel have been reduced and edited to nothingness. That is a testification that Islam is a Perfected entity but Muslims because of his intrinsic free-will could either choose the straight path or the wrong path.

Even during the time of Rasul (saws), the bearer of the message; Qur'an only advise: "enter into Islam whole-heartedly and do not follow the path of shay'tan for he is your avowed enemy". Qur'an only advice in this way since: "Let there be no compulsion in religion for truth stand out clear of error...". Yet at that time there were hypocrites, there were those who broke their allegiance and there were sincere ones who remain steadfast.

How do we know the original path set by Muhammad (saws) amidst several representatives of Islam? That is a research where the God-gifted power of intellect will have to work at its best.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 8:58am On Nov 17, 2013
usermane:

For the last time, understanding arabic is a catalyst to fasten the understanding of Qur'an but it is NOT a prerequisite for understanding theQur'an.
Hmmh... So much for insisting Qur'an must be read in arabic.

Is this "english contradiction" or what?
If you concur that Arabic is a CATALYST to FASTEN the UNDERSTANDING of the Qur'an, why then is it not prerequisite for understanding the Qur'an?

I have given you example where reading Qur'an in English or any other language do not do justice to the message until you actually understand the Arabic language in which Qur'an was revealed.

As per the "vowel or vocal marks" on each letters of the Qur'an, the Arabs read and understand without it since its their dialect but for non-Arab and who hasn't learn arabic that much, you need the one with "marks" otherwise you will end up reading non-sense. I have both copies on my shelf; as well as the old written (this old written is very common with sheiks for that's what they learnt with).
In fact I shook my head when you said we don't have the original arabic Qur'an. The uthmanic script and those ones handwritten by different companions are still preserved in many library of the world today. No difference from each other. Then you make another blunder that saying: "...the original copy written by Muhammad 's own hand.."

The holy prophet (saws) was not able to write or read (he was an Ummy which Qur'an itself testifies). One of the uniqueness about Qur'an is how it was IMPRINTED and collected into memory. Since the beginning of revelation till today, we have TALKING Qur'an - those who learnt it by heart.

Username if you don't have the energy or zeal to go and study Arabic (for the sake of Qur'an), then please dear brother do not discourage people who have. You talk with secular and western mentality. Why can't each Nigerian tribe study in our dialect? Why imposition of English unto our neck? Many of the most successful nations today never abandoned their mother-tongue.
Arabic is the Language of the Qur'an, for its understanding to be perfected, one need to study the language to the depth.

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 9:41am On Nov 17, 2013
At certain times people come up with new names, their own invention. This, the Prophet could possibly have done. You shouldn't try to potray it like the Prophet recieved divine revealations entailing "holy names" from God. Some persons come into Islam with bad names, and such names ought to be changed like u said. But to say that "James" should start bearing "Ali" cos he is now a muslim is quite retarded.

Muhammad, his parents were non muslims, how did they get such a beautiful name for their son?

Lastly, what has names got to do with religion? At best, only their meaning should be of concern.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by golpen(m): 10:07am On Nov 17, 2013
Dewze:

why do u guys so wickedly and so ignorantly twist a persons wordsjust to score cheap points. The OP never said that there is anything wrong in studying the Quran in Arabic. He has mentioned it over and over again that doing so is an added advantage but that it shoud not be used as a dogmatic Islamic doctrine. He said it is not a dogged requirement for righteousness and here u are saying another thing. Man! u guys r so wicked and misleading.

Why are you so disgusting and unreasonable?...if all your posts are about scoring points, then you should look for an exam or quiz hall, I guess. Do you have reading comprehension deficiency syndrome?
I made a post earlier about reciting and memorising Qur'an in arabic, he didn't react to my post and this is what he said in one of his later posts

There are lot of arabs and even non arabs, some of who understand arabic better than the mallams here. But even with that the clerics and scholars still discourage them from trying to read the Qur'an using their GOD given intellects. You have learnt arabic, great! But how come you still can't read Qur'an for the meaning. Most of them are talked into further learning the countless volumes of hadith books as another prerequisite before they can think of reading Qur'an for the meaning. And with the countless volumes of hadiths and then the commentaries, this is hard work. I doubt if even Imam Bukhari could have touched Imam muslim or Abudawood 's compilation and vice versa. Are you the one going to learn through all of them?

And this post above is what I'm responding to so you better get your head together and look before leaping okay kid!
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 11:04am On Nov 17, 2013
Pls Al baqir, can you show us a single verse in the Qur'an that tells that the Sacred Mosque existed before or was built before Abraham or before Mankind and even angels used to worship in it?

Also have you ever seen, "obey the Prophet or obey Muhammad" in the Qur'an? You tend to interchange messenger with prophet and this isn't right. "Prophet" in the Qur'an always referred Muhammad while he was alive on earth. Obeying the messenger is not obeying hadith books compiled centuries after Muhammad 's death. Obeying the messenger is obeying the Qur'an, the words he recited through his mouth. Not some unconfirmable rumours that were compiled by a certain man without due authorization from God.

I don't know if you studied Chemistry. A catalyst function in some reaction as an agent that hasten the reaction to completion. Such reactions could go without catalyst except that more time would be required for completion. A prerequisite is just like a reactant needed to obtain certain product or compound through a chemical reaction.
To round up, while you don't understand arabic yet, it is a choice, read the translated copies where u get to learn, or be bent on arabic text where you learn nothing. Please choose wisely.

Traditional muslims won't stop amusing me. First, u say the prophet knew everything, including the unseen but on the other hand you call him an illiterate, hmm... Very funny indeed. A messenger of God, a ruler of a state with different tribes and religions preaches a book that encourage us to read and write, yet the messenger of God himself refused to learn how to read and write! What an insult you guys hurl at Muhammad. You claim to love and obey the messenger yet you attribute insults upon insults to him, all in your stories or hadiths books, isn't this hypocrisy? An infallible man according to you couldn't read or write although fallible ones around him could do so? Note that these are the same traditional muslims that insists on keeping beards because the prophet did so, and banned me for 2 days for proving beards have nothing to do with Islam. My friends, you may go as far as Jupiter to study arabic, but always remember that your critical thinking is your first tool in understanding Qur'an.

Sadly am more preoccupied now and i cant dedicate myself to this thread anymore, i have done the most i can within the limited free time i have. The truth about Islam as delivered from Muhammad has been confounded with falsehood as is evident in various sects today. Only the Qur'an is free from such corruption and should soley be utilised for guidance.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by 1n2n3(f): 11:13am On Nov 17, 2013
usermane: Al-Baqir, is it possible to believe in Muhammad without believing in all other messengers? I doubt it. To make distinction is to judge or rank them. And what Muslims today have done is give Muhammad more distintion than other messengers which would not have been wrong if there were verses to back that up.

(

what the heck is wrong with this usermane? are u a muslim? if u are, you really need work on ur deen by seeking knowledge from d right source i.e Quran and sunnah, and ask from those who really knows. May Allah guide you.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usisky(m): 12:44pm On Nov 17, 2013
1n2n3:
what the heck is wrong with this usermane?

[size=13pt]
Peace ma'am! If you think usermane has made an invalid claim, why don't you point how and why you think so. Just making
sentimental remarks does nothing to point that out.
[/size]

1n2n3:
are u a muslim?

[size=13pt]
By qur'anic standards, he is far more MUSLIM than 99.9% of those who call themselves muslims here on this forum.
[/size]

1n2n3:
are u a muslim? if u are, you really need work on ur deen by seeking knowledge from d right source i.e Quran and sunnah, and ask from those who really knows.

[size=13pt]
I agree that knowledge and virtues of the deen(principles of conduct and certainly not dogmatic RELIGIONS) should be
sourced from the QUR'AN(GOD's Infallible word). As for the 'sunnah' part, i ask: which sunnah?

>>Sunnah according to your 'sunni' theology and their many branches? Or

>>sunnah according to the 'shi'i' theology and their many derivatives?

which?
[/size]

1n2n3:
May Allah guide you.

[size=13pt]
Allah(GOD) has been merciful on this brilliant fellow(usermane). He has blessed him with the knowledge of the true
teachings of the glorious quran after lengthy discussions he and i had during this past ramadan.

please meditate on the following for your own good:

[21:10] We have sent down to you a scripture containing your message. Do you not understand?

[2:176] This is because GOD has revealed THIS SCRIPTURE, bearing the truth, and those who dispute the scripture are the most ardent opponents.

[3:3] He sent down to you THIS SCRIPTURE, truthfully, confirming all previous scriptures.......

[7:2] THIS SCRIPTURE has been revealed to you - you shall not harbor doubt about it in your heart - that you may warn with it, and to provide a reminder for the believers.

[16:64] We have revealed THIS SCRIPTURE to you, to point out for them what they dispute, and to provide guidance and mercy for people who believe.

[18:1] Praise GOD, who revealed to His servant THIS SCRIPTURE, and made it flawless.

[23:68] Why do they not reflect upon THIS SCRIPTURE? Do they not realize that they have received something never attained by their ancestors?

[35:31] What we revealed to you in THIS SCRIPTURE is the truth, consummating all previous scriptures. GOD is fully Cognizant of His servants, Seer.

[39:2] We sent down to you THIS SCRIPTURE, truthfully; you shall worship GOD, devoting your religion to Him alone.

[45:2] The revelation of THIS SCRIPTURE is from GOD, the Almighty, Most Wise.

[46:2] The revelation of THIS SCRIPTURE is from GOD, the Almighty, Most Wise.
[/size]
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usisky(m): 1:08pm On Nov 17, 2013
[size=13pt]
@Al-Baqir

Peace Sir.

My objective here is to buttress further on what usermane has posted and the many many remarks he had made along
the way in which you have tried to counter.

I believe you have made many erroneous deductions in trying to prove usermane wrong. Therefore, i will love for us to expound
further on some of them. The best way to have a reasonable discussion, i think, is to go a step at a time. In that regard, i will
like us to discuss first, something you just alluded to some few posts earlier, and i which find repugnant:

"That the prophet Muhammad was an illiterate man".

Qurestions:

a- what is the wisdom behind God appointing an illiterate man to convey such a momentous message to the world,
if indeed, He wants us to take the message seriously?

b-what is the word used to describe Muhammad as being an illiterate man, an evidence from the quran will do?

let's start from there before moving on to other issues.
[/size]
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by BetaThings: 3:21pm On Nov 17, 2013
Logicboy03: It is rare that I praise a muslim but....good work from the op! I like the op and the discussion that has come from it
When an atheist starts praising a muslim, then that muslim should take another look at his beliefs

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Dewze(m): 3:48pm On Nov 17, 2013
golpen:

Why are you so disgusting and unreasonable?...if all your posts are about scoring points, then you should look for an exam or quiz hall, I guess. Do you have reading comprehension deficiency syndrome?
I made a post earlier about reciting and memorising Qur'an in arabic, he didn't react to my post and this is what he said in one of his later posts

And this post above is what I'm responding to so you better get your head together and look before leaping okay kid!

i will simply let others read your post to which I replied. They can make their judgement with their own conscience (biased or unbiased). For you, I leave you and your conscience for God to judge, grand pa.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by BetaThings: 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2013
usermane:

Everyone knows that a knowlege of arabic, should be a bonus in understanding Qur'an but it is not a prerequisite. We see even muslims who understand arabic that adopt doctrines contrary to Qur'an, we see them misunderstand the context or message of verses. Abubakar Shekau,boko haram leader is an example, very fluent in arabic. You are a christian, why did Jesus criticise the pharisees so often so often for abusing the Torah? Don't the pharisees understand hebrew?

If you want to learn arabic, good luck, but don't keep drumming it on those who can't. I can read the Qur'an in arabic though
This is a misconception. Some terrorists don't even understand Arabic.
The best works refuting the beliefs of those criminal elements are in Arabic.
Only a few have been translated into Arabic
And you cannot even begin to refute those murderers in English - they will see your knowledge of Islam as superficial and to some degree, they would be right
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by BetaThings: 3:57pm On Nov 17, 2013
Mufti Menk is knowledegeable in Arabic
Here is he making dua in English
We make salat in Arabic but can make dua in any language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDDODs95Xj0

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by golpen(m): 4:23pm On Nov 17, 2013
Dewze:

i will simply let others read your post to which I replied. They can make their judgement with their own conscience (biased or unbiased). For you, I leave you and your conscience for God to judge, grand pa.

Are you waiting for your fellow ignorants to come to your aid?.. You better don't, cause they must have seen your OYAlistic approach grin to my post. Don't put up your frustration against me again okay, you can help your self by reading the earlier posts and note what I've said earlier on the issue.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Dewze(m): 4:28pm On Nov 17, 2013
Sheykul Islam:

what is dis one saying? The Op have succeded in telling u "what he thinks" about the Qur'an and islam not what is the Qur'an and islam. Dats the point tbaba and vexdacool are trying to tell u.

just like you have succeeded in telling us what you think about him (usermane). Should I say the difference btwn the both of you is that he(usermane) has done his with scriptures and verses 'directly' from the Quran. Not from any sunah or hadith which offcourse can be argued or disputed, depending on which side/sect of Islam you belong to. He has intentionaly and sensibly picked this verses from the book that is at least universally accepted by all muslims to be true and perfect. You should aswell bring out 'Quranic' verses that speak contrary to what the OP stated.

Al-baqir has admiriably tried to dispute some of the OPs statements. One of the problems I ve with his points is that they are mostly based on this same disputable sunnahs and hadiths. Example is trying to explain the superiority of Mohammed over other prophets by an obviously hyped interpretaion of the quran by another fellow believer. I don't see anywhere in those verses where it is mentioned Mohammed is directly or even indirectly greater that other prophets (all I see in those verses are exaltations and not positional status/rank). Al-baqir mentioned that Mohammed was refered to as a lamp(light). Just wondering if he has read that Christ Jesus was also called the light of the world.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by BetaThings: 5:22pm On Nov 17, 2013
Logicboy03:
You dont know? When Tbaba posts something- they all run saying "jazakallah" like sheep. grin grin grin
And what do you say when Islam is attacked. One can use a computer to predict your response
So you have issues with sheep?
I ask because when you and your group are looking for justification for fa.g,go,try, are you not always taking animals as role models for your deviancy?

1 Like

Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by BetaThings: 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2013
beejaay:
and how do u decide who is a certified scholar and who is not who award certificate of certification and who confer excellence on individuals for competence (cos am sure God doesnt annoint anyone)

Who does that in Unilag or in Christianity?
There is a reason for the revelation of the verses. Some people spend years learning them
While some just download the translation of the Qur'an and start commenting
A Christian recently said "we have the English soft copy of the Qur'an, so you Muslims cannot hise anything again" Same person went further to state that "you are reading a wrong meaning into the Bible"
So can we Muslims not also download the Bible and start commenting?
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 7:10pm On Nov 17, 2013
usisky: [size=13pt]
@Al-Baqir

Peace Sir.

My objective here is to buttress further on what usermane has posted and the many many remarks he had made along
the way in which you have tried to counter.

I believe you have made many erroneous deductions in trying to prove usermane wrong. Therefore, i will love for us to expound
further on some of them. The best way to have a reasonable discussion, i think, is to go a step at a time. In that regard, i will
like us to discuss first, something you just alluded to some few posts earlier, and i which find repugnant:

"That the prophet Muhammad was an illiterate man".

Qurestions:

a- what is the wisdom behind God appointing an illiterate man to convey such a momentous message to the world,
if indeed, He wants us to take the message seriously?

b-what is the word used to describe Muhammad as being an illiterate man, an evidence from the quran will do?

let's start from there before moving on to other issues.
[/size]

"That the prophet Muhammad was an illiterate man"

Was that my wording? I strongly doubt it. I will appreciate you the more if you can go through my replies to Username's theories.

Here's my exact wording:

"The holy prophet (saws) was not able to write or
read (he was an Ummy which Qur'an itself testifies). One of the uniqueness about Qur'an is how it was IMPRINTED and collected into memory. "

1. Honestly I deliberately used the word 'cannot read or write' rather than "illiterate" in the context of this contemporary world. At least you will agree with me that inability to read or write does not necessarily mean one is foolish or unintelligent.

2. On the other hand, I used 'cannot read or write' to set username up for another argument hoping he will take the bait and BINGO he did.

So far (if you read and digest our conversations well) I have been battling him to prove that English translation of the holy Qur'an does not do justice to the Arabic wording of the Qur'an; thereby, studying Arabic, understanding Arabic, recitation in Arabic is the BEST (I cited an example from sura Nisa vs 1). Remember he's a type that tend to discourage Arabic.

THE ARABIC WORD USED
The exact word used in the holy Qur'an is "UMMY" (pl. UMMIYIN).
Going through many English translated Qur'an, you see "illiterate" or "Unlettered" etc.

Literally that might be the meaning but not necessarily mean that and Qur'anic meaning is quite different entirely. In the Qur'an, it means "GENTILE" or "ONE WHO IS NOT PRIMARILY FAMILIAR WITH A LAW (apparently Moses's Law).

'Gentile' though non-jewish, also mean someone who is not a reader of Torah.

Ref: Edward Lanes Lexicon explain this in detail (vol. 1)

Examples in the Qur'an:

1. "And there are among them 'ummi(yuna)' , who know not the Book, but (see therein their own) desires, and they do nothing but guess" ~Q2:78

2. In sura Jum'a vs 2:

"It is He Who has sent among the 'ummiyina' a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His verses, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom, although before they
had been in manifest error"

If one translate the word "ummi" to mean "illiterate", it will distort the meaning of the two verses above. One will presume Allah sent the holy prophet (saws) to illiterates. But going through example 1. "Who know not the book" which actually give the meaning of "Ummi"signify people who know not the previous law (of moses).

This is a broad explanation which I cannot quickly brush through but I hope you get the gist.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 7:31pm On Nov 17, 2013
Dewze:

just like you have succeeded in telling us what you think about him (usermane). Should I say the difference btwn the both of you is that he(usermane) has done his with scriptures and verses 'directly' from the Quran. Not from any sunah or hadith which offcourse can be argued or disputed, depending on which side/sect of Islam you belong to. He has intentionaly and sensibly picked this verses from the book that is at least universally accepted by all muslims to be true and perfect. You should aswell bring out 'Quranic' verses that speak contrary to what the OP stated.

Al-baqir has admiriably tried to dispute some of the OPs statements. One of the problems I ve with his points is that they are mostly based on this same disputable sunnahs and hadiths. Example is trying to explain the superiority of Mohammed over other prophets by an obviously hyped interpretaion of the quran by another fellow believer. I don't see anywhere in those verses where it is mentioned Mohammed is directly or even indirectly greater that other prophets (all I see in those verses are exaltations and not positional status/rank). Al-baqir mentioned that Mohammed was refered to as a lamp(light). Just wondering if he has read that Christ Jesus was also called the light of the world.

Thanks Dewze. Ask them why they claim Muhammad is the greatest messenger, they 'll come with verses like Qur'an 33:21,68:4 and the verses Al baqir cited that gives no clue of Muhammad being the greatest Messenger. This is what past communities did, they always believed that their Messenger was the greatest and idolised him against his will. But are all messengers not good example to mankind? Are all messengers not of exalted character? Aren't all messengers to be elevated to a honourable rank? is it only Muhammad?
Try these verses please, the whole of this, "Muhammad is infallible,the greatest" lack a minute evidence in the book of God. Qur'an 46:9, 21:72-73, 20:40-41, 4:125, 17:55, 7:144, 60:4-6.
Qur'an 33:37, 66:1,40:55

If Muhammad was infallible then he is no more a man or mortal like us, as Qur'an says(Qur'an 18:110). A mortal like us is fallible.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 7:54pm On Nov 17, 2013
BetaThings:

Who does that in Unilag or in Christianity?
There is a reason for the revelation of the verses. Some people spend years learning them
While some just download the translation of the Qur'an and start commenting
A Christian recently said "we have the English soft copy of the Qur'an, so you Muslims cannot hise anything again" Same person went further to state that "you are reading a wrong meaning into the Bible"
So can we Muslims not also download the Bible and start commenting?

and who asked them to spend years learning it??

if a total novice cannot pick a book and understand it to the basic then that book is as useless as it should be (and am sure the Holy Quran and the Holy Bible is not useless...)... a book that is for the whole benefit of mankind should be understandable to the most stupid among them so that they will not be brainwashed and used against the very purpose its written for

going by your logic since shekau,osama, and many more islamic terrorist went through rigorous study on Quran we can say that they are qualified to be called scholar ryt...

and pls tell me why will a Supreme God make a book He sent to his people so hard that they have to go through some form of school to understand it??

since the sunni and shia and different group scholars went through rigorous Quranic school why are they still divergent in their views and almost sees each other as enemies??( my thinking is that with there supposedly years of learning they should understand it to the fullest and the issue of sect shouldnt exist in the first place)

my sister dont get it twisted Quran, Bible is as clear as daylight and as simple, clear as anything can be...it doesnt need any special education..the word in it is clear for any one to understand and interpreters or the so called scholars are not needed
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by AlBaqir(m): 8:09pm On Nov 17, 2013
usermane:

Thanks Dewze. Ask them why they claim Muhammad is the greatest messenger, they 'll come with verses like Qur'an 33:21,68:4 and the verses Al baqir cited that gives no clue of Muhammad being the greatest Messenger. This is what past communities did, they always believed that their Messenger was the greatest and idolised him against his will. But are all messengers not good example to mankind? Are all messengers not of exalted character? Aren't all messengers to be elevated to a honourable rank? is it only Muhammad?
Try these verses please, the whole of this, "Muhammad is infallible,the greatest" lack a minute evidence in the book of God. Qur'an 46:9, 21:72-73, 20:40-41, 4:125, 17:55, 7:144, 60:4-6.
Qur'an 33:37, 66:1,40:55

If Muhammad was infallible then he is no more a man or mortal like us, as Qur'an says(Qur'an 18:110). A mortal like us is fallible.

I think the more I read your comment or reply, the more I realize 'who you really are'.
This is not a proper way of debating or arguing the truth out. You like dodging from vital points raised and never admit the acceptability of those you kept silent from.
I read this thread of yours for many hours and I try to counter your points and assertions one by one. I expect you to redress those replies one by one rather than bringing another issues you have little knowledge of.
Sometimes you will use hadith for your purpose and many a times you will say hadith books is are not reliable thereby only Qur'an should be used. Generally you don't read Qur'an to comprehend and see the connectivity of one verse to another verse. You neither have the knowledge of Qur'anic interpretation (Q3 vs 7) nor recognize which verses are 'Muhkam' and which are 'Mutashabih'. I explain and debunk a sura (80) you posted to prove the holy prophet made mistakes; you neither admit to my explanation nor dis-prove my assertion. How many areas have I touched where you either dodged or deliberately bring another issue entirely. Treat point one by one as I reply your 'table of theories' one by one.
Lastly, you never wanna admit further research on whatever you believe in. In fact it seem to me you have sealed your heart with certain set of belief.
On this web (Nairaland) I have a lot to do personally and my mission is far.
On this note I sign out from this thread.

Salam.
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 8:15pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Only salat do we restricted as a muslim to do in the 'Arabic mother' language. Du'a (supplication), khutba, tafsir etc; are allowed in any language best understood and expressed by individual. But bro. ARABIC is rich.

can you please show me the Quran verses where you are restricted to arabic language only there is no restriction to the languages to be used for prayers brother...i await your response on the verses that support your claim otherwise pls sir modify your post cos its misinformation
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 8:16pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

I disagree with you here brother.
I have read and digested all your view-point. Kindly take your time and read mine with people's accusation esp @thaba1234 and my responses; then we can continue on that:www.nairaland.com/1480939/concept-infallibility-isma

www.nairaland.com/1488847/muhammad-saws-error-free-prophet

If you don't believe in the all times infallibility of the prophet (saws) then how much trust do you have for authenticity of the Qur'an?
Were you there when Jubril descended and revealed the message to him?
How do you know which words of his is actually 'revelation' or his personal sage saying except what he himself tells you?
Is there God's signature and stamp on each sura revealed?

bro no one is infallible and am sure op have given us plenty verses to buttress this unless and ofcourse you dont believe in those verses of the Quran
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 8:18pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Was that my wording? I strongly doubt it. I will appreciate you the more if you can go through my replies to Username's theories.

Here's my exact wording:

read (he was an Ummy which Qur'an itself testifies). One of the uniqueness about Qur'an is how it was IMPRINTED and collected into memory. "

1. Honestly I deliberately used the word 'cannot read or write' rather than "illiterate" in the context of this contemporary world. At least you will agree with me that inability to read or write does not necessarily mean one is foolish or unintelligent.

2. On the other hand, I used 'cannot read or write' to set username up for another argument hoping he will take the bait and BINGO he did.

So far (if you read and digest our conversations well) I have been battling him to prove that English translation of the holy Qur'an does not do justice to the Arabic wording of the Qur'an; thereby, studying Arabic, understanding Arabic, recitation in Arabic is the BEST (I cited an example from sura Nisa vs 1). Remember he's a type that tend to discourage Arabic.

THE ARABIC WORD USED
Going through many English translated Qur'an, you see "illiterate" or "Unlettered" etc.

Literally that might be the meaning but not necessarily mean that and Qur'anic meaning is quite different entirely. In the Qur'an, it means "GENTILE" or "ONE WHO IS NOT PRIMARILY FAMILIAR WITH A LAW (apparently Moses's Law).

Examples in the Qur'an:

1. "And there are among them 'ummi(yuna)' , who know not the Book, but (see therein their own) desires, and they do nothing but guess" ~Q2:78

2. In sura Jum'a vs 2:

"It is He Who has sent among the 'ummiyina' a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His verses, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom, although before they

If one translate the word "ummi" to mean "illiterate", it will distort the meaning of the two verses above. One will presume Allah sent the holy prophet (saws) to illiterates. But going through example 1. "Who know not the book" which actually give the meaning of "Ummi"signify people who know not the previous law (of moses).

This is a broad explanation which I cannot quickly brush through but I hope you get the gist.

No way, u said he couldn't read or write, and i have addressed that. A person who cannot read or write is still an illiterate or unlettered.

And forget it man, u can't ridicule me with: "usermane discourages persons from learning arabic", a clear survey of my posts so far deny your accusation. You with all your knowledge of arabic decide to translate ummy for illiterate and it prove my arguement so far as tangible.

And please the first step toward becoming a muslim is to study the Qur'an(Qur'an 4:82,47:24). Only after that does one accept the Qur'an and Muhammad as God 's messenger. I bet you expect such person(incapable of understanding arabic) to utilise a translated copy in his quest to learn the truth.
Again don't just conclude every xtian out there is doomed(Qur'an 2:62). There are unitarian xtians, some of whom may be monothesists even closer to God than some muslims. Muhammad did not come to eliminate Jesus or Moses and put himself ahead of them. Qur'an also did not come to eliminate the torah or gospel, but to confirm them(Qur'an 3:3, 5:47)
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by usermane(m): 8:19pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Here's my exact wording:

THE ARABIC WORD USED

Examples in the Qur'an:

2. In sura Jum'a vs 2:

No way, u said he couldn't read or write, and i have addressed that. A person who cannot read or write is still an illiterate or unlettered.

And forget it man, u can't ridicule me with: "usermane discourages persons from learning arabic", a clear survey of my posts so far deny your accusation. You with all your knowledge of arabic decide to translate ummy for illiterate and it prove my arguement so far as tangible.

And please the first step toward becoming a muslim is to study the Qur'an(Qur'an 4:82,47:24). Only after that does one accept the Qur'an and Muhammad as God 's messenger. I bet you expect such person(incapable of understanding arabic) to utilise a translated copy in his quest to learn the truth.
Again don't just conclude every xtian out there is doomed(Qur'an 2:62). There are unitarian xtians, some of whom may be monothesists even closer to God than some muslims. Muhammad did not come to eliminate Jesus or Moses and put himself ahead of them. Qur'an also did not come to eliminate the torah or gospel, but to confirm them(Qur'an 3:3, 5:47)
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by beejaay: 8:21pm On Nov 17, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Kindly read and digest links sent to you before we embark fully on this. However, the arabic word use in those two verses is "bashar" meaning "mortal"; and not "man who err" as you think.
Had it been Muhammad is not somebody who eats, drink, sleeps, work, die (definition of "Bashar"wink, these tribe of his, the Arabs would have presented an "excuse" that "its difficult to follow him since he's immortal". Hence the essence of the verse "say: I am a man like you..."

Remember, even before he declare himself as a prophet sent to them, he was known with no fault. In fact his people nicknamed him "as-Sadiq wadul Amin" among other nicknames. He was perfect in his status before being appointed as a prophet. "Revelation" i.e being prophet was icing on his cake.
Besides aren't you believe every man is born "sinless" and "pure"? Islam doesn't believe in "original sin".
And the fact that man has been given "aql (intellect)" and "ikhtiyar - free-will", you can use both to commit or not to commit. Its a matter of choice not force. And in the case of prophet of God (saws), in additional to these naturally in-built two gift (free-will and intellect), he was able to recognize his Lord...and His creation both in its spiritual dimension whereby "manifest evidence - ilm yaqeen" has been given to him making him far away from sin, mistakes or error as far as this relative world and its spiritual dimension is concern.
It will be foolish comparing God who is absolute and above imagination with holy prophet's infallibility.

the fact that Prophet came in human physical form means he has all the attribute and xteristics of that form which its finite..when you take on the physical form of a goat u will definitely eat grass and when its a lion u will definitely eat flesh (no other way round it)

no matter how hard you try to manipulate the verse of the Quran, it simply means what it means "HUMAN"
Re: Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims by Akindarchi(m): 8:41pm On Nov 17, 2013
Some oF the posts here are causing me to read surah NAs...........with emphasis on the last Ayat......
. It is obvious d devil is still very much active

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Story Of Prophet Luut / Common Mistakes During Fasting / Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.