Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms (19210 Views)

A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State / Alcohol Is The Mother Of All Evils... / Why Is Pork Forbidden In Islam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by AbdH: 8:50pm On Oct 29, 2013
deols: @AbdH,

About the pic you posted about the prophet cursing people who deal with alcohol. Can you confirm whether that hadith is about the beverage or dealing with alcohol in all forms?

Because, for example, the spirit used in cleaning wound is alcohol. A more concentrated one for that matter. Would having a company that deals in its production or helping people clean their wounds or having your wounds cleaned with it be haram?

I think the hadith is about the beverage.

Alcoholic beverages of course, it is clearly stated in the image. Even foods that contain alcohol are forbidden. Alcohol can be used on wounds though...but the ingestion is a no no.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by deols(f): 3:41am On Oct 30, 2013
AbdH:

Alcoholic beverages of course, it is clearly stated in the image. Even foods that contain alcohol are forbidden. Alcohol can be used on wounds though...but the ingestion is a no no.

The clarification is at least, good.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by deols(f): 3:43am On Oct 30, 2013
Logicbwoy:

Why are you asking the question now? Eh? After I asked it? You didnt see the problem with the pic until an atheist raised it?
And before you say that I'm derailing.....I doubt that the Prophet made such a wide curse on all use of alcohol (my opinion). So I agree with you on this issue....sha waiting for ABDH's response

Well, I wanted it clarified, anyway.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Logicbwoy: 6:13am On Nov 02, 2013
deols:

Well, I wanted it clarified, anyway.

So much for clarification
https://www.nairaland.com/1494959/did-prophet-pbuh-curse-people#19250055
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Abuammarj(m): 10:29am On Nov 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Was is stated lik dat in the Quran?

The Verse Please?
yes. The verse says "WA ADI'UL LAHA WA ADI'UL RASUUL" obey Allah and the rasuul. And obidience is by doing what He comandd u to. Nt only that verse, thia are many more.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by AlBaqir(m): 11:55am On Nov 06, 2015
# First, ANYTHING that intoxicate is Haram in Islam, and a sahih hadith says even in a small quantity. tbaba1234 and vedaxcool have posted sufficient ahadith to this effect. Today, 95% of oral liquid drugs contain Ethanol in small quantity. This makes them Haram. We have alternative in the remaining 5%.

However, when we talk about "alcohol", it is a general/parent name for many product of R-OH group. This group is divided into: 1. Primary alcohol, 2. Secondary alcohol and 3. Tertiary alcohol.

It is the first group (primary alcohol) that are known to be very reactive - intoxicant, because of the presence of a single OH.

# The secondary/Tertiary alcohol e.g Glycerine/Glycerol, propylene glycol, Sorbitol, etc are non-intoxicant product due to their increase number of -OH. These make them Halal. These products are commonly used in creams, soaps, drugs etc.

The very reactive primary alcohol e.g Methanol, Ethanol etc are HARAM for consumption either in small or large quantity. But Sharia allows them to be used in other than consumption e.g sterilization, extraction etc.

# In Islamic Sharia, some things that are Haram by nature can be "purified/modified" to become Halal. For example, Ethanol can be used to extract alkaloid [therapeutic chemical substances] from the bark of a tree [usually for medicine]. If this solution is boiled above 80 degree centigrade, it is sure Ethanol will evaporate since its boiling point is around 78degree centigrade. If perceived, and the smell of intoxicating Ethanol is off, the remain residue/liquid is Halal.

# Some solid drugs [tablets] usually contain small percentage of ethanol during the process of granulation [powder mixture] but virtually all the ethanol evaporates during the process of heat-drying. This make these products [tablet] halal.

# Perfumes also contain various primary alcohol [intoxicating type], but since its not consumed and its easily evaporated once used, there is no harm. But to avoid Ethanolic type of perfume is better [Ihthiyat wajib].

Allah knows best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Sasuwa(f): 12:02pm On Nov 06, 2015
Any intoxicating substance is alkahol,
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by MKO4ever(m): 12:08pm On Nov 06, 2015
In other words, you can drink alcohol but don't be drunk
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Trustworthiness: 12:17pm On Nov 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:
I believe in d quran..i dnt rely much on the hadith

Are you a muslim at all? You believe in the Quran and not the Hadiths. I see why you are trying to justify the use of alcohol. The prophet have said in an hadith that Allah Has not put our cure in something that is haram. For every medicine that are cures that Allah Has provided for us that will not involve the use of anything haram.

Go and learn more about prophetic medicines. I used and i am still using it to cure a lot of things. I have used it to help people looking for pregnancy and now they happy mothers today.

The hadiths is as important as the Quran in the life of a true muslim. It is only that we consult the Quran first and then the hadith for further explanation of the intent of the sayings of Allah in the Quran.

So, @op, you can not call yourself a muslim while you neglect the sayings, teachings and actions of the prophet (SAW), that is the hadiths.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Rilwayne001: 12:20pm On Nov 06, 2015
Man, this is an old thread. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Rilwayne001: 12:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
Trustworthiness:

Are you a muslim at all? You believe in the Quran and not the Hadiths. I see why you are trying to justify the use of alcohol. The prophet have said in an hadith that Allah Has not put our cure in something that is haram. For every medicine that are cures that Allah Has provided for us that will not involve the use of anything haram.

Go and learn more about prophetic medicines. I used and i am still using it to cure a lot of things. I have used it to help people looking for pregnancy and now they happy mothers today.

The hadiths is as important as the Quran in the life of a true muslim. It is only that we consult the Quran first and then the hadith for further explanation of the intent of the sayings of Allah in the Quran.

So, @op, you can not call yourself a muslim while you neglect the sayings, teachings and actions of the prophet (SAW), that is the hadiths.

Okay
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by zingywingy: 12:33pm On Nov 06, 2015
Sallam Aleikun. Am a Muslim too but i felt more with Quran.. Holy undiluted book than human reported Hadith. Quran is from Allah to Holy Prophet SAW. But hadith is from Holy Prophet SAW to someone that told someone that heard from someone.. Hmmm... Human beings and exaggeration can't be seperated.

Astagafrililahi

babylolaroy:

if yu are a muslim, your belief of Quran is thus useless if yu dnt believe in ahadith

1 Like

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by AlBaqir(m): 12:44pm On Nov 06, 2015
Bro. Rilwayne001, don't tell me you've being Quranized like the username of this world. Ahadith [authentic saying of the Prophet] is as important as the Quran. They are inseparable. However to know true hadith from false hadith irrespective of scholar's grading on them, that hadith should NEVER contradict Quran. Quran, being al-Furqan (The criterion) is described as "...tibyana likulli shayh - clarifier of all things". Please put this into perspective brother. Salam.

1 Like

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by dmola(m): 12:47pm On Nov 06, 2015
sallam aleikum my Muslim brothers n sisters

this very interesting thread please shield more light on it thank you
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Rilwayne001: 12:51pm On Nov 06, 2015
AlBaqir:
Bro. Rilwayne001, don't tell me you've being Quranized like the username of this world. Ahadith [authentic saying of the Prophet] is as important as the Quran. They are inseparable. However to know true hadith from false hadith irrespective of scholar's grading on them, that hadith should NEVER contradict Quran. Quran, being al-Furqan (The criterion) is described as "...tibyana likulli shayh - clarifier of all things". Please put this into perspective brother. Salam.

Yeah! Thanks bro.. smiley
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by abduldope(m): 1:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
@op wt if i cant sleep and i use somthing lyk codiene to help me sleep NOTE: i only use it wen i cant sleep. meaning only at nyt hrs wch wen i wake 4 subhi prayers it wld have clear of ma head and leving me with no intocxication feeling ??
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by GGGB07(m): 1:24pm On Nov 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:
It isnt that i dnt belive in tha hadith at all, but i dont rely much on em, cuz i find it very difficult in choosin d sunni hadith nd that of shia...

If that's the problem/challenge you have then its better for you to seek guidance on how to tell a salih hadith from other kinds and stop the blank statements you make about the hadiths....its simply wrong.

In furtherance to this i would suggest you seek knowledge from erudite scholars around or buy salih bukhari or muslim, start with those before you move on to other books of hadiths and trust those two books mentioned are in several volumes so buy them and they would guide you.

To you question or your post, i sincerely think you should have requested for an explanation or a guidance instead of interpreting the quran to soothe your understanding.

Alcohol in all forms are prohibited in islam and lots of people have explained it to you so learn brother, learn.

1 Like

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by tunshe: 1:46pm On Nov 06, 2015
AlBaqir:

Is this AlBaqir or hacked profile?

Rilwayne001, do you still hold this view?

Deols, I am glad to see you back to nairaland.

In conclusion;
Alcohol consumption(ingestion ) is haram,the 10 groups of people described in the picture by ABDH are cursed and the uses of alcohol as stated by AlBaqir are allowed.

Wa Lahu Alam!
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by abduldope(m): 2:03pm On Nov 06, 2015
AlBaqir:
# First, ANYTHING that intoxicate is Haram in Islam, and a sahih hadith says even in a small quantity. tbaba1234 and vedaxcool have posted sufficient ahadith to this effect. Today, 95% of oral liquid drugs contain Ethanol in small quantity. This makes them Haram. We have alternative in the remaining 5%.

However, when we talk about "alcohol", it is a general/parent name for many product of R-OH group. This group is divided into: 1. Primary alcohol, 2. Secondary alcohol and 3. Tertiary alcohol.

It is the first group (primary alcohol) that are known to be very reactive - intoxicant, because of the presence of a single OH.

# The secondary/Tertiary alcohol e.g Glycerine/Glycerol, propylene glycol, Sorbitol, etc are non-intoxicant product due to their increase number of -OH. These make them Halal. These products are commonly used in creams, soaps, drugs etc.

The very reactive primary alcohol e.g Methanol, Ethanol etc are HARAM for consumption either in small or large quantity. But Sharia allows them to be used in other than consumption e.g sterilization, extraction etc.

# In Islamic Sharia, some things that are Haram by nature can be "purified/modified" to become Halal. For example, Ethanol can be used to extract alkaloid [therapeutic chemical substances] from the bark of a tree [usually for medicine]. If this solution is boiled above 80 degree centigrade, it is sure Ethanol will evaporate since its boiling point is around 78degree centigrade. If perceived, and the smell of intoxicating Ethanol is off, the remain residue/liquid is Halal.

# Some solid drugs [tablets] usually contain small percentage of ethanol during the process of granulation [powder mixture] but virtually all the ethanol evaporates during the process of heat-drying. This make these products [tablet] halal.

# Perfumes also contain various primary alcohol [intoxicating type], but since its not consumed and its easily evaporated once used, there is no harm. But to avoid Ethanolic type of perfume is better [Ihthiyat wajib].

Allah knows best.

wt if i cant sleep and i use somthing lyk codiene to help me sleep NOTE: i only use it wen i cant sleep. meaning only at nyt hrs wch wen i wake 4 subhi prayers it wld have clear of ma head and leving me with no intocxication feeling ??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Trustworthiness: 2:17pm On Nov 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Was is stated lik dat in the Quran?

The Verse Please?

"Say (O Muhammad to mankind): ‘If you (really) love Allah then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow Quran and the Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.’ Say (O Muhammad): ‘Obey Allah and the Messenger (Muhammad).’ But if they turn away, then Allah does not like the disbelievers." (Quran: 3/31)
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by AlBaqir(m): 3:20pm On Nov 06, 2015
tunshe:

Is this AlBaqir or hacked profile?

Rilwayne001, do you still hold this view?

Deols, I am glad to see you back to nairaland.

In conclusion;
Alcohol consumption(ingestion ) is haram,the 10 groups of people described in the picture by ABDH are cursed and the uses of alcohol as stated by AlBaqir are allowed.

Wa Lahu Alam!

Brother, it is Albaqir true and true. Do you suspect anything strange?
Salam
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by AlBaqir(m): 3:48pm On Nov 06, 2015
abduldope:
wt if i cant sleep and i use somthing lyk codiene to help me sleep NOTE: i only use it wen i cant sleep. meaning only at nyt hrs wch wen i wake 4 subhi prayers it wld have clear of ma head and leving me with no intocxication feeling ??

ANYTHING that affects human sensibility is classified "Intoxicant" and Islam forbids it. There are lots of philosophical reasons for that.

If you find it difficult to sleep and you've exhausted all intrinsic options, and if at all you must take drug, I will advice to consult physician.

# Codeine, Morphine, Diamorphine etc are classified under Opioid Analgesics or Narcotic analgesics. They are usually used for the relief of moderate to severe pain. However the opioid have been found to interact with several closely related receptors.

# Cocaine and all its derivatives, Procaine, Proxymetacaine etc are classified as Local Anaesthetic. These are compound which produce reversible loss of sensation by preventing or diminishing the conduction of sensory nerve impulses. Although some of these local anaesthetic could also be used to produce loss of pain without loss of nervous control.

In one word, all these things are dangerous. Islam only allow their use in severe cases. Its very unfortunate that drug abuse [without medical prescriptions] is rampant in Nigeria.

I am a chemist with years of pharmaceutical experience and pharm-related field so I know how it goes in this field [good, bad and conspiracy].

2 Likes

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by adejaresalami1(m): 5:00pm On Nov 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:
I believe in d quran..i dnt rely much on the hadith
saying you don't rely much on hadith is like distrusting our noble prophet(pbuh)...you shouldn't have in the first place post what you have no knowledge about...The statement is shirk because believe in Allah and Muhammad is one they are not two separate thing ....you ought to seek repentance to Allah for He's oft forgiven most merciful. Allah knows best.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by MbashrexBashir(m): 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:
Background: Some think that in Islam and The Quran
the substance alcohol is forbidden completely in all
forms, no matter the application or form.

Intoxicants are to be avoided according to The Quran:
O you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and
sacraments, and games of chance are foul tools used by
the devil. You shall avoid him so that you may be
successful. [5:90]

For example, the substance alcohol does have useful
properties (e.g. it is used in medicine, food production)
and can be used for these purposes:
They ask you about intoxicants and gambling. Say: In
both of them there is a great harm and some profit/
benefits for men, but their harm is greater than their
profit/benefits... [2:219]

From the fruits of the palm trees and the grapes you
make wine as well as a good provision. In that is a sign
for a people who reason. [16:67]

Thus, the substance alcohol is not banned, but it is
intoxication that is to be avoided. Interestingly, the
above verse provides a powerful message to reflect on,
i.e. we can use something in a positive way or in a
negative way, which one will we choose?

Pls I dnt want us to argue and fight over dis issues but I think your post is some how not correct. It might encouraged some hu av interest in liquor to misinterprete you and use against the injuctions. Pls try understand. Salam alaykum.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Jummymine(f): 5:31pm On Nov 06, 2015
Rilwayne, are you a Muslim? If yes, then reaise tht in Islam, we are forbidden to speak of this religion without knowledge.
Alcohol is completely forbiden in Islam, by the Qur'aan, the Sunnah, the consensus of the scholars and by Qiyaas. it is one of the INCONTROVERTIBLE ISSUES or Islam, disputing of which is essentially apostasy from the faith.
This nonsensical claim is not made by any that has an inkling of knowledge of this religion. It is not a matter that is even up for discussion among Muslims on the faith. It is not even something to argue about.
PLEASE DO NOT ENDANGER YOUR FAITH BY JUST THROWING UP ANY CLAIM WHENEVER YOU WANT; THAT IS WHAT RUIneD COMPLETELY OTHER RELIGIONS.
yOUR STATEMENT, "I believe in d quran..i dNnt rely much on the hadith" SHOWS HOW IGNORANT OF THIS RELIGION YOU DEFINITELY ARE. In Islam, we follow, and we do not make our own rules. That's what Submission is about. Repent, and realise that Alllah determines His religion, not you with your little knowledge. You either decide to follow the religion, or else you are free to leave it please.
Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by Jaydee009: 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2015
In other words, drink but don't get drunk.

Meanwhile all Muslims have tasted alcohol because it is used to prepare blood tonic, cough syrup, many medicines, cakes and some fries (used as preservatives).

Say hello to the good side of alcohol...

Salam.
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 6:10pm On Nov 06, 2015
alcohol consumption is very forbidden in Islam. even for medical use or anything.. please don't confuse yourself o.... alcohol is very very forbidden ... instead of using alcohol for medical use.. water can replace it
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 6:12pm On Nov 06, 2015
Jaydee009:
In other words, drink but don't get drunk.

Meanwhile all Muslims have tasted alcohol because it is used to prepare blood tonic, cough syrup, many medicines, cakes and some fries (used as preservatives).

Say hello to the good side of alcohol...

Salam.

laughing.. that's not alcohol.. as long as its not toxicant.. it's not alcohol
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by ShaheedBinAliyu(m): 6:14pm On Nov 06, 2015
[quote author=Jummymine post=39749393]Rilwayne, are you a Muslim? If yes, then reaise tht in Islam, we are forbidden to speak of this religion without knowledge.
Alcohol is completely forbiden in Islam, by the Qur'aan, the Sunnah, the consensus of the scholars and by Qiyaas. it is one of the INCONTROVERTIBLE ISSUES or Islam, disputing of which is essentially apostasy from the faith.
This nonsensical claim is not made by any that has an inkling of knowledge of this religion. It is not a matter that is even up for discussion among Muslims on the faith. It is not even something to argue about.
PLEASE DO NOT ENDANGER YOUR FAITH BY JUST THROWING UP ANY CLAIM WHENEVER YOU WANT; THAT IS WHAT RUIneD COMPLETELY OTHER RELIGIONS.
yOUR STATEMENT, "I believe in d quran..i dNnt rely much on the hadith" SHOWS HOW IGNORANT OF THIS RELIGION YOU DEFINITELY ARE. In Islam, we follow, and we do not make our own rules. That's what Submission is about. Repent, and realise that Alllah determines His religion, not you with your little knowledge. You either decide to follow the religion, or else you are free to leave it please.
Thanks.complement

hadith complement Qur'an. hadith that go against Qur'an must not be accepted
Re: Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms by ty4real4gt: 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2015
إنما الخمر والميسر والأنصاب والأزلام رجس من عمل الشيطان فاجتنبوه

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Cuts-Off His Hands To Prevent Stealing (PHOTO) / Common Reasons For Late Marriage / 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Islam And The Prophet Muhammad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.