Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

9 Children Raised by Animals. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 9 Children Raised by Animals. (46157 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Ugandan Boy Raised By Monkeys Tries To Adapt (photos) / Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Children Raised by Animals. by olenyi: 10:06pm On Oct 26, 2013

From myth to reality
Legend has it that Romulus and Remus, the twin founders of Rome, were abandoned as children and had to be suckled by a wolf until they were discovered by a wandering shepherd. Eventually they founded the great city on Palatine Hill, the very place where they had been cared for by the wolf. This is likely just a myth, but history abounds with real stories of children who really were raised by animals.
Although reality for these feral children is rarely so romanticized as it was for Romulus and Remus (feral children are often hampered with cognitive and behavioral disabilities), occasionally their stories can also be a testament to the human will to survive, and of the tender maternal instinct of other animals.

Ukrainian dog girl
Left to live in a kennel by her abusive and neglectful parents from the ages of 3 to 8, Oxana Malaya grew up with no other company than the dogsshe shared the kennel with. When she was found in 1991, she was unable to speak, choosing only to bark, and ran around on all fours. Now in her 20s, Malaya has been taught to speak but remains cognitively impaired. She has found some peace caring for cows that reside on a farm near the mental institution where she lives.

Cambodian jungle girl
While herding buffalo along the jungle's edge in Cambodia at the age of 8, Rochom P'ngieng became lost and mysteriously disappeared. Eighteen years later, in 2007, a villager caught sight of a naked woman sneaking around his property attempting to steal rice. Identified as the long lost Rochom P'ngieng due to a distinctive scar on her back, the girl had grown into a 30-year-old woman who had somehow survived on her own in the dense jungle. Unable to learn the local language or to adapt to the local culture, she fled back to the wild in May 2010.There have been mixed reportsabout her whereabouts since that time, including one about her reappearance in June 2010in a deep, dugout toilet near her home.

Ugandan monkey boy
After seeing his mother murdered by his father, a traumatized 4-year-old John Ssebunya fled into the jungle, where he reportedly was raisedby a troop of vervet monkeys until his discovery in 1991. As is often the case when feral children are discovered, he resisted capture from the villagers who sought to take him, and he got assistance from his adoptive monkey family (which supposedly threw sticks at his captors). Since his capture, John has been taught how to speak, and can now sing, too. In fact, he even tours with the Pearl of Africa children's choir. (Note: This is not a photo of John Ssebunya.)

Victor of Aveyron
Perhaps the most famous feral child of them all, Victor's story was made widely known in the film “L'Enfant Sauvage.” Although his origins are a mystery, it is generally believed that Victor lived his entire childhood naked and alone in the woods before being spotted in 1797. After a few more sightings, he eventually emerged on his own near Saint-Sernin-sur-Rance, France, in 1800. Victor became the subject for many philosophers and scientists who were curious about the origins of language and human behavior, though little progress was made in his development due to his cognitive impairments.

Madina
Madina's tragic story is much like Oxana Malaya's. Abandoned until her discovery just last yearat the age of 3, she lived with dogs. When found, she knew only two words, yes and no, though she preferred to growl like a dog. Luckily, Madina was declared mentally and physically healthy by medics shortly after her discovery, despite her ordeal. Though her development has been hampered, she is young enough that caretakers believe she can lead a relatively normal lifestyle when she grows up.

Lobo Wolf Girl of Devil's River
In 1845, a mysterious girl was seen running on all fours in the company of wolves attacking a herd of goats near San Felipe, Mexico. The story was corroborated a year later when the girl was seen again, this time devouring a freshly killed goat. As the story goes, alarmed local villagers mounted a search for the girl days later, eventually capturing her. Supposedly she howled incessantly throughout the night, attracting a pack of wolves that charged into the village in an apparent rescue attempt. She was able to sneak out of her enclosure and escape.
The girl was not seen again until 1852, when she was reportedly witnessed suckling two wolf cubs on a sand bar in a river. After being seen, she gathered up the two cubs, ran back into the woods and was never heard from again.

Russian bird boy
Confined in a room surrounded by bird cages, a Russian boy was raised like a pet bird by his abusive mother. When he was discovered, he could not speak and instead merely chirped like his bird companions. Though he was not physically harmed, he cannot engage in any normal human communication. He has been moved to a center for psychological care where professionals are working to rehabilitate him.

Amala and Kamala
These two girls, 8 years old and 18 months respectively when discovered, were found in a wolves' den in 1920in Midnapore, India. Their story is wrapped in controversy. Because they were so far apart in age, experts did not think they were sisters. It's more likely that they were both taken by wolves on different occasions. Like many other feral children, they reportedly longed to return to the wild and were miserable in their lives trying to cope with the civilized world.

Peter the Wild Boy
A naked, hairy boy walking on all fours emerged from the woodsnear Hamelin, Germany, in 1724. Eventually coaxed into being captured, he behaved like a wild animal, choosing to eat both birds and vegetables raw and was incapable of speaking. After being moved to England, he was given the name of Peter the Wild Boy. Though he never learned to talk, he supposedly loved music, was taught menial tasks, and lived to an advanced age. A gravestone marks where he was laid to rest in a churchyard in 1785.

http://www.mnn.com/family/babies-pregnancy/photos/9-children-who-were-raised-by-animals

10 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Kanwulia: 7:59am On Oct 27, 2013
Boy! I really envy them o! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by olenyi: 9:29am On Oct 27, 2013
Kanwulia: Boy! I really envy them o! cheesy

shocked shocked shocked

Do you have any particular reason for your preference?

Lol.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by everyday: 11:10am On Oct 27, 2013
Really weird
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by soulglo: 6:00pm On Oct 27, 2013
So touching. Especially the way the monkeys fought to "save" the Ugandan boy from his rescuers.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Kanwulia: 7:36pm On Oct 27, 2013
olenyi:

shocked shocked shocked

Do you have any particular reason for your preference?

Lol.

I was only being sarcastic! cheesy
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by 7footre(m): 6:04pm On Oct 28, 2013
Survival instincts. D human race is really special
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Sllowppoisoon: 2:25pm On Oct 29, 2013
Human beings are Also classified as Animals
Every Nairalanders,,MODs,,OPs are all scientifically......... lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by 9jahubcom(m): 2:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
soul_glo: So touching. Especially the way the monkeys fought to "save" the Ugandan boy from his rescuers.
nor be small tin
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by emmawiz: 2:29pm On Oct 29, 2013
Story! story!! Ok children dis is d end of my story hop u enjoyed it.. Animality.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Tolexander: 2:30pm On Oct 29, 2013
Abu Mikey- raised by mouse!

What about Tarzan?

Victor of Aveyron
Perhaps the most famous feral
child of them all, Victor's story
was made widely known in
the film “L'Enfant Sauvage.”
Although his origins are a
mystery, it is generally
believed that Victor lived his
entire childhood Unclad and
alone in the woods before
being spotted in 1797. After a
few more sightings, he
eventually emerged on his
own near Saint-Sernin-sur-
Rance, France, in 1800. Victor
became the subject for many
philosophers and scientists
who were curious about the
origins of language and
human behavior, though little
progress was made in his
development due to his
cognitive impairments.
Amala and Kamala
These two girls, 8 years old
and 18 months respectively
when discovered, were found
in a wolves' den in 1920in
Midnapore, India. Their story is
wrapped in controversy.
Because they were so far apart
in age, experts did not think
they were sisters. It's more
likely that they were both
taken by wolves on different
occasions. Like many other
feral children, they reportedly
longed to return to the wild
and were miserable in their
lives trying to cope with the
civilized world.
these two above are prominent in sociology.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by valencia25(m): 2:31pm On Oct 29, 2013
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Maczeelly(m): 2:32pm On Oct 29, 2013
Hmmmmm......
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by lovejo(m): 2:33pm On Oct 29, 2013
k
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by ayamAJ(m): 2:33pm On Oct 29, 2013
shocked Wonders shall never end....raised by animals
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
The human race is indeed a barbaric one. Shame on the human race.

Does anyone see that most of these children were raised by animals as a result of the fallout or default of human violence?

This goes to prove that animals are even more loving and caring than the human race. Monkeys and wolves accepted them and trained them as if they were their very own.

Yet we humans kill and main each other in the name of racism and tribalism. We can't even accept another person who speaks a different dialect of our language.

The other day my dad was being violent and saying that he will never allow my brother to marry a yoruba girl; just because she is yoruba.

Shame on us humans.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by KKImoh: 2:37pm On Oct 29, 2013
Animals can be so meek as not 2eat a humanflesh amongst it {e.g the wolf]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Neduzze5(m): 2:37pm On Oct 29, 2013
Mehn! Animal life is really sweet oh. I will love to be able to imagine myself eating raw flesh and sucking blood, suckling the female wolves and running some long kilometers in few seconds, not in real life though, at least in my dream! grin
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Seyipa(m): 2:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
no wonder the bible said we should not worry of what to eat because it has already been provided . God is great

5 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by crackhaus: 2:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
Remarkable how animals can be caring and protective of human children, but only want to kill or run away from adults.
Wonder what that says about grown people.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by adegwurulez(m): 2:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
"animals save humans while humans kill animals"- ironic

"animals save humans while some humans(bh boys) kill other humans"- stupid

morals:sometimes we have to learn from animals.

5 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by cashkid18(m): 2:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
and d mod dt moved it to d fp expects me to believe it
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by PastorOluT(m): 2:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
"Ise eniyan nise eranko"
Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Coldfeet(f): 2:43pm On Oct 29, 2013
WOW!!!! Speechless. There's a similar story I've heard about a lioness that came to drop bush meat at the door of a woman that saved her cubs! And the story still goes to say that till date that family still gets that mysterious bush meat undecided some say they will find a freshly killed animal on the bush part while returning from the farm! They say its the lions way of saying thank you for not killing her cubs! That family don't hunt or kill lions till date!! Well don't know if its true sha lols!

4 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by LajaLaba: 2:43pm On Oct 29, 2013
I had a similar experience but i wont tell cry

3 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by John1305(m): 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
I find it interesting that humans can actually learn to live and communicate with other animals when they grow up there as this few that were found.. But you see.. this goats and dogs we dem born for my house.. Dem no de talk.. God dey sha.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by homesteady(m): 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
Laja Laba: I had a similar experience but i wont tell cry

Please tell us grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Children Raised by Animals. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
cashkid18: and d mod dt moved it to d fp expects me to believe it

Please go and play with your toys. angry

This thread is for matured minds.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Would Be [2015] Brides; Come In, Let's Plan Together! / In Response To A Previous Thread Created By Amara Okafor / Female Child Vs Male Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.