Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,706 members, 7,802,101 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions (25446 Views)

BBM on iPhone and related issues / BBM On Android And Related Issues / How Can I Used BBM On Wifi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 27, 2013
With the current euphoria about BBM on Android and Iphone. New users are now in ecstasy and enjoying BBM Live on their devices.

I am also one of them but despite this euphoria a lot of questions have been bugging my mind and I think it is important that I ask them because I dont have answers to them:

(1). I hope that I can keep my BB Pin even if I change my Android phone. This was one of the reasons why I did not have a BB phone because you have to get a new Pin anytime you get a new phone which is like changing your home or office address every six months. I feel your BB Pin should be part of your identity just like your phone numbers and your name.

(2). Now that Android phones and Iphones officially have a kind of Blackberry feature in them I think it is also wise that our Nigerian network providers should also make internet plans on these devices very affordable and pocket friendly. Just like the Blackberry plans. Or what do you think?

(3). What is the future of other mobile IM services like WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber etc. Especially WhatsApp?.

Something tells me that if WhatsApp does not step up its game soon, they could well have an exodus on their hands.

These are my questions for now. Feel free to enlighten me and you may also ask your own questions.

5 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Paschalele: 8:32am On Oct 27, 2013
dats exactly wat is bordering my mind plz contribute........ hv ur say 4 odas 2 hear u

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 27, 2013
Paschalele: dats exactly wat is bordering my mind plz contribute........ hv ur say 4 odas 2 hear u
Yes O. And I pray that the enlightened ones will come on board.

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by OCTAVO: 10:24am On Oct 27, 2013
virtuoso01: With the current euphoria about BBM on Android and Iphone. New users are now in ecstasy and enjoying BBM Live on their devices.

I am also one of them but despite this euphoria a lot of questions have been bugging my mind and I think it is important that I ask them because I dont have answers to them:

(1). I hope that I can keep my BB Pin even if I change my Android phone. This was one of the reasons why I did not have a BB phone because you have to get a new Pin anytime you get a new phone which is like changing your home or office address every six months. I feel your BB Pin should be part of your identity just like your phone numbers and your name.

(2). Now that Android phones and Iphones officially have a kind of Blackberry feature in them I think it is also wise that our Nigerian network providers should also make internet plans on these devices very affordable and pocket friendly. Just like the Blackberry plans. Or what do you think?

(3). What is the future of other mobile IM services like WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber etc. Especially WhatsApp?.

Something tells me that if WhatsApp does not step up its game soon, they could well have an exodus on their hands.

These are my questions for now. Feel free to enlighten me and you may also ask your own questions.
Oga, I will only comment about your post in bold. Do you think everyone give a hoot about bbm?
Whatsapp is exceptionally cross platform for your info. Do you know how many millions of java phone user using whatsapp? Lest I mention windows os phones too. Bbm is only restricted to bb, android and ios. So, evidently, it is bbm that still needs to sit up in order to catch up with whatsapp (if it ever will).

27 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Ruq: 11:56am On Oct 27, 2013
This don't even need to ponder on. The creation of the BBM app just proved that every BlackBerry device just got shitier than what it was before. I can tell you people never saw this coming, it just goes to tell you that what BlackBerry users have been buying all this while is a well designed phone that already has an in built and personal messenger.

Just like a tweet said. 'Downloading the BBM app is like buying five remotes for the same TV'. See you now have BBm app, i'm sure you have the likes of whatsaap, wechat and the others. Now think of someone who has all these apps plus 2go, nimbuzz and the rest. When you have all these apps on your phone like I do, with the same list of friends in all the apps, tell me what's the point ? and even whatsapp works on BB devices so Downloading five different apps to chat with the same group of people is kind of pointless and dont leave out that most of this friends you can also chat with on FB. RIM didn't do their research well.

IMO the creation of whatsapp just made me know that BB devices are just hyped and are not for app driven people like me. Till today I don't regret ever getting a Bb even if at one point i was thinking of getting one.

3 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by ollyndjeda(m): 1:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
I think the pin and the phone are kinda fixed. So if u change ur phone and download d app u'll b given a new pin. Bbm has an edge over the other im's. Its updates-that shows other people what you just wrote as your status or when you change ur dp. And also the pin ish that gives you a sense of control over who is your contact. And also always being online-when u use a bb you are always connected to the internet and sending a message to someone, u are sure the persn is gonna get the msg immediately and reply asap. Unlike whatsapp and the likes.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by OCTAVO: 1:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
ollyndjeda: I think the pin and the phone are kinda fixed. So if u change ur phone and download d app u'll b given a new pin. Bbm has an edge over the other im's. Its updates-that shows other people what you just wrote as your status or when you change ur dp. And also the pin ish that gives you a sense of control over who is your contact. And also always being online-when u use a bb you are always connected to the internet and sending a message to someone, u are sure the persn is gonna get the msg immediately and reply asap. Unlike whatsapp and the likes.
The post in bold made me wonder if you have ever used whatsapp before!!
I rest my case cheesy

10 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Qtsnow(m): 2:03pm On Oct 27, 2013
you can always have ur contact back whenever you change your andriod device by just putting in your blacberry ID and password you used in registering before. helped a bb user to move from bb to tecno and he still has all his contact just a new pin

3 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Suntemi(m): 3:25pm On Oct 27, 2013

Sincerely I was thinking one can have a PIN for life even if one change his device, but i tried switching from one iPhone to the other immediately I saw this post and to my surprise, It's not so. I was given another PIN. I think it doesn't make sense even as they claim your contacts will not notice. What if I have so many stuffs I do and I spread my BBM PIN everywhere, will that means I will have to go change the PIN on all those places I have put it.

It will only make sense again if I change my phone, the pin changes but anyone can still reach me with the old pin. If it can't be so. It simply doesn't make sense. It really not good for business. It should be a thing of choice where users choose to continue using the same pin even if they change their device.

You are right and if they can't which I know they can, they should provide a bundle plan for BBM only like they did for whatsapp or simply roll out a bundle plan that will cover say 5 social app for just say ₦400 or ₦500 monthly.

Everyone needs to step-up their game including BBM

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 27, 2013
OCTAVO:
Oga, I will only comment about your post in bold. Do you think everyone give a hoot about bbm?
Whatsapp is exceptionally cross platform for your info. Do you know how many millions of java phone user using whatsapp? Lest I mention windows os phones too. Bbm is only restricted to bb, android and ios. So, evidently, it is bbm that still needs to sit up in order to catch up with whatsapp (if it ever will).
You may be right but try and look at it from this perspective:

With WhatsApp you need to give out your number and the truth is that most people dont just like to give out their numbers,especially on a public forum.

The Advantage that BBM has is that you can simply give out your pin or make use of the bar code feature without even giving out your pin. At least if you give somebody your pin and the person turns out to be a nuisance you can quietly remove the person from your list.

As for the cross-platform part of WhatsApp. I hope you know that most people who currently use Java phones seriously plans on upgrading their devices in the near future to either android or any other better OS. And please dont forget the fact that if Nokia could retire the Almighty Symbian OS then it is just a matter of time before Java suffers the same fate.

I use WhatsApp and also BBM. And although WhatsApp has the voice message feature which BBM lacks at the moment, I think I will still give BBM more stars.

5 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by OCTAVO: 3:58pm On Oct 27, 2013
I get your point anyway. But there's one feature that bbm lacks which is the ability to reveal if a user is actively online or not and also the last seen feature. And also like you rightly stated; voice note too. All these things are just interwoven cheesy

3 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Dedewizzy(m): 4:19pm On Oct 27, 2013
virtuoso01:

I use WhatsApp and also BBM. And although WhatsApp has the voice message feature which BBM lacks at the moment, I think I will still give BBM more stars.

did u just write that.. well I think u haven't explored your BBM well coz it has got the voice note right from time.

3 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Osyxcel(m): 4:34pm On Oct 27, 2013
O.P, these are my own response to your question.

1. I think the BBM Pin is pinned to your Email for life. E.g During the first release, I registered with my email, and I was assigned a Pin. On the second release, I simply signed in with my email, and I got the same PIN, and the Status and D.P were intact.

2. Most likely, the network providers will provide separate plans for BBM just like Whatsapp plans or even bring down the price of data plans.

3. Whatsapp is the only real competitor amongst those IMs, at least for now. BBM still has a lot to do in order to usurp the dominance of Whatsapp (Java, Symbian, Windows).

3 Likes

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by nonny1212: 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2013
7b023b67... Both male and female friends
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 27, 2013
OCTAVO: I get your point anyway. But there's one feature that bbm lacks which is the ability to reveal if a user is actively online or not and also the last seen feature. And also like you rightly stated; voice note too. All these things are just interwoven cheesy
the last seen feature is not a feature BBM lacks. Its part of BBM. And most pple see it as a plus to BBM as some pple hate when pple trace thier online status. While the voice notes and video call would come with updates!

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Suntemi(m): 6:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
Osyxcel: O.P, these are my own response to your question.

1. I think the BBM Pin is pinned to your Email for life. E.g During the first release, I registered with my email, and I was assigned a Pin. On the second release, I simply signed in with my email, and I got the same PIN, and the Status and D.P were intact.

it will only be for life you didn't change your phone.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
Dedewizzy:

did u just write that.. well I think u haven't explored your BBM well coz it has got the voice note right from time.
I did not know BBM has voice messages. Thanks for the info.

Anyway I am still exploring.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by OCTAVO: 6:15pm On Oct 27, 2013
runzlord: the last seen feature is not a feature BBM lacks. Its part of BBM. And most pple see it as a plus to BBM as some pple hate when pple trace thier online status. While the voice notes and video call would come with updates!
Pls how can one check the last seen? I need to know pls.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
runzlord: the last seen feature is not a feature BBM lacks. Its part of BBM. And most pple see it as a plus to BBM as some pple hate when pple trace thier online status. While the voice notes and video call would come with updates!
I think you are right about the Last Seen feature on WhatsApp.

As for the voice and video messages I expect it should already be on BBM by not. So am expecting them anytime.

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
sun_temi:

it will only be for life you didn't change your phone.

I believe they should do something about this. If I change my phone and then get a new pin I may still get all my contacts back fine.

But will that mean that my new phone owner will now be using my old pin and receive any other messages sent to me through that old pin?

I dont like this.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by twosquare(m): 6:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
More than voice note people ...BBM cannot send videos whereby Whatsapp can.....And voice note is not perfect on BBM...u can only record live before sending (don't know if am wrong ) while on whatsapp u can choose an already recorded voice, even a music and send it 2 d other party.....Whatsapp rocks...BBM still got some catching up to do

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 27, 2013
OCTAVO:
Pls how can one check the last seen? I need to know pls.
there is no way u can know. It belived that ure are always online! When i ping u, u recieve it. And it depends on u to reply or not. It does nt mean ure away, or offline.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
virtuoso01:
I think you are right about the Last Seen feature on WhatsApp.

As for the voice and video messages I expect it should already be on BBM by not. So am expecting them anytime.
yeah. Video call! Nt video msg.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 6:12am On Oct 28, 2013
runzlord: yeah. Video call! Nt video msg.

Yeah sorry. But I am thinking of maybe both sha.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 28, 2013
twosquare: More than voice note people ...BBM cannot send videos whereby Whatsapp can.....And voice note is not perfect on BBM...u can only record live before sending (don't know if am wrong ) while on whatsapp u can choose an already recorded voice, even a music and send it 2 d other party.....Whatsapp rocks...BBM still got some catching up to do

If this is true then why did Tens of Millions of people all over the world scramble to download BBM on their phones within the first few days?

I still wonder.

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Ruq: 6:54am On Oct 28, 2013
virtuoso01:

If this is true then why did Tens of Millions of people all over the world scramble to download BBM on their phones within the first few days?

I still wonder.

A lot of people wanted BB devices, but knowing that the only usefull thing about the device is the BBM. This made people go for Android and Other phones. Now that the bbm app is out, isn't it clear to you that what made BB devices somewhat worth it, is now just an app anyone can download provided the right device.
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by sheymaziggy: 1:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
OCTAVO: I get your point anyway. But there's one feature that bbm lacks which is the ability to reveal if a user is actively online or not and also the last seen feature. And also like you rightly stated; voice note too. All these things are just interwoven cheesy
that is the thing i hate about whatsapp,u just cant ignore people as ur contact would always know when u in and out of whatsapp,which doesnt protect my privacy,so i guess one mans food is another mans poison,that is why i like bbm,ur privacy is controlled by you.

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by sheymaziggy: 1:57pm On Oct 28, 2013
u guys shouldnt wory about changing of pins,just worry about your contact which u would still retain if you switch device,whatapp is poor in security and privacy.I like both messanger so am not beefing.

1 Like

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by alotofgrace(m): 2:42pm On Oct 28, 2013
long live whatsapp...once they include file sharing in their programme

Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 28, 2013
all this kain android-bbm topic no dey ever finish?! Anyway i'm more concerned about the data plan. angry
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
alotofgrace: .
busted! You're tryna keep space just cos of first page. grin i caught u sha... tongue
Re: BBM On Android And Iphone: My Questions by Lilimax(f): 2:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
Heard that the numbers starts with 7. How true? undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Best Selling Phones Of All Time (Photos) / Smartphone Shelf Life – What Is The Average Lifespan Of A Smartphone? / My Personal Review Of The HTC ONE M8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.