Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,448 members, 7,801,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? (2641 Views)

2 First-class Yoruba Kings To Preach At Christian Revival / Why Do Catholic Priests Wear Rings? / Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by garripack: 2:29pm On Oct 27, 2013
i am wandering if catholic churches preach the gospel at all once i went there all i saw were just mere prayers and some jamborees sorry to say so but i just want to know if catholic church preach the Gospel at all please don't be sarcastic
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 2:43pm On Oct 27, 2013
garripack: i am wandering if catholic churches preach the gospel at all once i went there all i saw were just mere prayers and some jamborees sorry to say so but i just want to know if catholic church preach the Gospel at all please don't be sarcastic

They do.

You are liar if you say you went to a Catholic mass anywhere in the world and you didnt hear them preach the gospel.

Not being sarcastic, just blunt.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by skyscraperTM(m): 2:45pm On Oct 27, 2013
No they don't. The last time my friend invited me to a catholic harvest and it was offering all through.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 2:50pm On Oct 27, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
No they don't. The last time my friend invited me to a catholic harvest and it was offering all through.

What do you people gain from telling lies?

Hian!

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by garripack: 3:17pm On Oct 27, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
BROS I THINK SAY NA ONLY ME OOOO angry angry angry angry

sosososo offering

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by garripack: 3:19pm On Oct 27, 2013
italo:

Hian!

no body is lying it was what i experienced very simple
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by yorex2011: 4:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
it depends on what u mean by preach...if u mean telling u that u will have money dis yr...preaching prosperity all through....catholic churches preach about sin ,salvation,..and the core things of christianity....and i'm not saying this because am a catholic but because its d truth....i've been invited to pentecostal churches too and many of which wud preach on prosperity forgetting bout sin and salvation....there was one i once went to that preached about himself travelling abroad that year, prosperity, all through...(never mentioned anyrhing on sin or salvation)only a few that really preach on sin and salvation which i believe shud be the core of preaching....

and yes if u come to catholic church on a harvest day then there will lots of thanksgiving...(harvest is a day set aside in a year when evrybody specially thanks God for his many blessings(dats why ur friend invited u because its a once in a year thing)

and finally....i believe we all believe in one God regardless of denomination but we shud never forget that we shud always preach the truth( what people dont want to hear)...rather than telling them what they want to hear...
bottom line....catholic churches preach the gospel....peace be with you all

5 Likes

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by garripack: 4:18pm On Oct 27, 2013
yorex2011: it depends on what u mean by preach...if u mean telling u that u will have money dis yr...preaching prosperity all through....catholic churches preach about sin ,salvation,..and the core things of christianity....and i'm not saying this because am a catholic but because its d truth....i've been invited to pentecostal churches too and many of which wud preach on prosperity forgetting bout sin and salvation....there was one i once went to that preached about himself travelling abroad that year, prosperity, all through...(never mentioned anyrhing on sin or salvation)only a few that really preach on sin and salvation which i believe shud be the core of preaching....

and yes if u come to catholic church on a harvest day then there will lots of thanksgiving...(harvest is a day set aside in a year when evrybody specially thanks God for his many blessings(dats why ur friend invited u because its a once in a year thing)

and finally....i believe we all believe in one God regardless of denomination but we shud never forget that we shud always preach the truth( what people dont want to hear)...rather than telling them what they want to hear...
bottom line....catholic churches preach the gospel....peace be with you all

meaning
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by yorex2011: 4:22pm On Oct 27, 2013
garripack:

meaning
catholic churches preach d gospel
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by garripack: 4:24pm On Oct 27, 2013
yorex2011:
catholic churches preach d gospel

to me they don't preach real Gospel they just display sum preamble
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by yorex2011: 4:27pm On Oct 27, 2013
garripack:

well...sorry if u feel dat way....but its all good if u attend a gospel preaching church...we are all brothers worshipping one God
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by anselm791(m): 4:32pm On Oct 27, 2013
There's three readings, prayers, sermone, eucharistic celebration which by the way is the most important part, thanksgiving, offerings, and announcements all in 2 hours. So do the maths.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 4:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
garripack:

Depends on when you joined in the Mass, if that is what you attended. The Catholic mass is same all over, it is broadcasted on TV some times, you can verify your claims from any of them. However, since you've made your conclusion; why do you ask the question?
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by garripack: 4:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
yorex2011:
well...sorry if u feel dat way....but its all good if u attend a gospel preaching church...we are all brothers worshipping one God

yes thats true but i feel the catholic priest should add gospel in their service and should reduce all those many many hymns and preamble
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by skyscraperTM(m): 4:41pm On Oct 27, 2013
italo:

Hian!
i'm not lying bro! Though i'm pentecostal but i have nothing against catholics because when i was in secondary school i used to attend a catholic organisation meeting because most of my friends were catholics and they were members too. But what i saw that day really shocked me, it was a big church attended mainly by rich people. I came late to meet them taking offerings so i had to call my friend who was already inside to come meet me outside cause the hall was filled to the brim. Even though they started taking the offerings before before i came the exercise lasted till the end of the service. Like i earlier said, it's a church attended mainly by rich people including renowned politicians. My head almost blew off with the amount of money i was hearing, people were giving 1m, 500k, 200k (no exaggeration) 100k, 50k, 20k, 10k, 5k, N500 and nothing less. They were collecting each money by family, they will announce the name of the family, the amount they're donating, and if it's huge, the kindof applaused they'll get will literally sweep you off your feet. (was that really necessary?) After they were done with the family category, they devised other means such as, community members, university polytechnic, ­college of education students, agape members, charismatic members, societal bla bla bla and other ridiculous or perhaps inconsequential group. The part that made me dumbfounded was when they asked football club fans to come drop their offerings. You needed to see gullible youth opening their teeth sheepishly while they danced to the alter. I was admist them though not before i felt it was proper but because i detest going to church without dropping an offering. I remember going with my friend to drop the offering with my friend who is a chelsea fan even though i am a die-hard fan of man united. As if that was not enough, the 'fada' had to come outside with a rubber kindof basket on his hands to collect offerings from the people who were standing outside. All these happened for about 3hours and even as they had to close the service because of time factor some families who were yet to pay their offerings were pleading but to no avail. After the service was over, i told my friend about the extravagant lifestlye of his church and we both laughed over it. Honestly, i will never forget that day.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by garripack: 4:45pm On Oct 27, 2013
Syncan:

Depends on when you joined in the Mass, if that is what you attended. The Catholic mass is same all over, it is broadcasted on TV some times, you can verify your claims from any of them. However, since you've made your conclusion; why do you ask the question?

i asked because i wanted to know if there was a backyard preaching before or after the mass simple!!!!!!!!! undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 7:16pm On Oct 27, 2013
garripack: i am wandering if catholic churches preach the gospel at all once i went there all i saw were just mere prayers and some jamborees sorry to say so but i just want to know if catholic church preach the Gospel at all please don't be sarcastic

garripack:

no body is lying it was what i experienced very simple

garripack:

First it was only mere prayers and jamboree, no gospel...

...later it's that they dont preach real gospel.

So they preach but it is fake gospel? No more "mere prayers and jamboree?"

I repeat: if you claim to attend a Catholic Mass anywhere in the world and you didn't hear the gospel preached, you're either deaf or a liar.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
i'm not lying bro! Though i'm pentecostal but i have nothing against catholics because when i was in secondary school i used to attend a catholic organisation meeting because most of my friends were catholics and they were members too. But what i saw that day really shocked me, it was a big church attended mainly by rich people. I came late to meet them taking offerings so i had to call my friend who was already inside to come meet me outside cause the hall was filled to the brim. Even though they started taking the offerings before before i came the exercise lasted till the end of the service. Like i earlier said, it's a church attended mainly by rich people including renowned politicians. My head almost blew off with the amount of money i was hearing, people were giving 1m, 500k, 200k (no exaggeration) 100k, 50k, 20k, 10k, 5k, N500 and nothing less. They were collecting each money by family, they will announce the name of the family, the amount they're donating, and if it's huge, the kindof applaused they'll get will literally sweep you off your feet. (was that really necessary?) After they were done with the family category, they devised other means such as, community members, university polytechnic, ­college of education students, agape members, charismatic members, societal bla bla bla and other ridiculous or perhaps inconsequential group. The part that made me dumbfounded was when they asked football club fans to come drop their offerings. You needed to see gullible youth opening their teeth sheepishly while they danced to the alter. I was admist them though not before i felt it was proper but because i detest going to church without dropping an offering. I remember going with my friend to drop the offering with my friend who is a chelsea fan even though i am a die-hard fan of man united. As if that was not enough, the 'fada' had to come outside with a rubber kindof basket on his hands to collect offerings from the people who were standing outside. All these happened for about 3hours and even as they had to close the service because of time factor some families who were yet to pay their offerings were pleading but to no avail. After the service was over, i told my friend about the extravagant lifestlye of his church and we both laughed over it. Honestly, i will never forget that day.

Take a look at the words in bold.
1. You came late- So you wouldn't know what had happened before you came but i will tell you:
a) Introductory rites (Peace greetings and opening prayers)
b) Liturgy of the word (one old testament passage, one new testament epistle and one gospel passage and sermon from the priest)
c) Liturgy of the Holy Eucharist (prayers,breaking of bread and blessing of the wine, communion)

These have all taken place before you came. Now take a look at what you said, that prompted Italo to say you lied, and tell me if you honestly still stand by it.

2. The offering had started, and continued till close of service-Note that you went on a unique day, day for harvest, and this occurs once in a year, you could see from your comments that some families who felt obligated to make their own offering were not given the chance, due to time.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:

What you are describing is Harvest which only happens once in 365 days. It is a day when the parishioners offer gifts as a community thanking God for his blessings the whole year.

Part of the idea is to raise money for the Church and the parishioners know this, thats why they come out to donate as much as possible...not because they're gullible.

However, there are individuals who see it as a time to show off...that isnt the idea. Such is to be expected in any human gathering.

Do you think its to much for parishioners to offer gifts in thanksgiving and to support their parish once in a year?

Again I say to you: if you claim to attend a Catholic Mass from beginning to end anywhere in the world and you didnt hear the gospel preached, you only saw offering from beginning to end...

You are a liar.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by italo: 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2013
I hope you guys know that Catholic masses are now being shown on local and satellite tv on a daily basis.

There's a limit to the false information you van give in this 21st century, brothers.

Dont make us start posting videos of Catholic masses to disprove what you've said.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 7:37pm On Oct 27, 2013
garripack:

i asked because i wanted to know if there was a backyard preaching before or after the mass simple!!!!!!!!! undecided undecided undecided

I shall leave you then to your lies. Jesus said he preached in public, so also the Mass is said in public. No point speaking in Ignorance when you can easily get yourself informed.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by danahart(f): 2:17pm On Oct 28, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
. U just said it all , U CAME LATE nd u met dem during offering( nd it was Harvest sunday), how den did u conclude there was no Homily, ,4 ur info, Homily comes b4 Offering, say wat u r sure of .

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by danahart(f): 2:24pm On Oct 28, 2013
Because u didn't hear How rich u will become if u pay your tithe next Month, How thunder will kill all your village people, all de bla bla blas means they don't preach in de catholic church? ..Smh

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by lacum: 2:31pm On Oct 28, 2013
Syncan:

thanks my guy. u know, this is y i dont like commenting here. people cone here to ask questions they have already concluded in their mind nevervto blivebin n expect us to waste our time answering it.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by lacum: 2:35pm On Oct 28, 2013
garripack:

and when u were told that part of the mass include the homily did u blive or continue arguing? u know what ur looking for

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by tobechi20(m): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2013
[b][/b][color=#006600][/color]

catholic church preach but they dont shout and yell and scream at their members like mad pastors.

they dont preach prosperity ad goodluck

they dont place emphasis on tithe

they dont impose tithe

they preach humility and urge christians to embrace suffering as christ carried the cross.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Jamji: 3:26pm On Oct 28, 2013
oh when the members dont even go to catholic church with bible, then what kind of preaching do you expect?
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
@ ITALO
this is very true. I wont lie that they do not preach. They do that well. But the football clubs thanksgiving is the most disgusting. l. I attend a catholic church every sunday. There will be harvest by mid november in the church and they ve taken a whole lot of money. I dont just want to taint the name of the church, but if you want me to say it, I will and you will find out for yourself.
Its no different from pentecostals. They do seed sowing and tithes. Tithes @ the end/begining of the month and seed sowing @ 1st sunday. They also separate family harvest thanksgiving, (which the family will have paid some amount in doing it and will still collect from the congegration) with normal thanksgiving. Let me start naming the collections.
1.Offering
2. 2nd collection and thanksgiving after that.
3. laity collection
4. church building collection.(there is a song for this)
5. tithe
6. seed sowing
7. Harvest;- family, state, society, letter of alphaphet your name starts with, Month of birth and worst of all football clubs.
8. Harvest launching;-harvest dress launching, brochure launching, launching of king and queen of the harvest.
Launching is usually done with huge amounts, then general thanksgiving after the launching.
9. Apart from launching of brochure, people will still pay for things like; supporting Jesus picture on 1st page, mary on 2nd page, pope on third page, bishop on 4th page, priests on the 5th page. (I dont understan these ones). They will also make money on the sales and advertisement in the brochure.
On the harvest day, it will be worse. After the nos(1,2,3,4,6 and 7), there will also be stupid thanksgivings like
1. pregnant women,
2. children(they will use age groups), pry sch, sec sch, under grad, adult, old people.
3. societies; sacred heart, immaculate heart, st anthony etc.(all of them)
Then general harvest thanksgiving, and pass the tray for tips too.
Its a harvest but did I forget to say that nothing(to eat or drink) will be free on that day. Nobody send you. oyo
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Syncan(m): 5:02pm On Oct 28, 2013
nwuyag:
@ ITALO
this is very true. I wont lie that they do not preach. They do that well. But the football clubs thanksgiving is the most disgusting. l. I attend a catholic church every sunday. There will be harvest by mid november in the church and they ve taken a whole lot of money. I dont just want to taint the name of the church, but if you want me to say it, I will and you will find out for yourself.
Its no different from pentecostals. They do seed sowing and tithes. Tithes @ the end/begining of the month and seed sowing @ 1st sunday. They also separate family harvest thanksgiving, (which the family will have paid some amount in doing it and will still collect from the congegration) with normal thanksgiving. Let me start naming the collections.
1.Offering
2. 2nd collection and thanksgiving after that.
3. laity collection
4. church building collection.(there is a song for this)
5. tithe
6. seed sowing
7. Harvest;- family, state, society, letter of alphaphet your name starts with, Month of birth and worst of all football clubs.
8. Harvest launching;-harvest dress launching, brochure launching, launching of king and queen of the harvest.
Launching is usually done with huge amounts, then general thanksgiving after the launching.
9. Apart from launching of brochure, people will still pay for things like; supporting Jesus picture on 1st page, mary on 2nd page, pope on third page, bishop on 4th page, priests on the 5th page. (I dont understan these ones). They will also make money on the sales and advertisement in the brochure.
On the harvest day, it will be worse. After the nos(1,2,3,4,6 and 7), there will also be stupid thanksgivings like
1. pregnant women,
2. children(they will use age groups), pry sch, sec sch, under grad, adult, old people.
3. societies; sacred heart, immaculate heart, st anthony etc.(all of them)
Then general harvest thanksgiving, and pass the tray for tips too.
Its a harvest but did I forget to say that nothing(to eat or drink) will be free on that day. Nobody send you. oyo

Please remain focused on the topic of the thread. If the catholic church preaches the gospel say so unequivocally and keep the rest. If what particular Parishes do on harvest day seems odd, it is remains what it is "what a particular parish did" and not the whole Catholic church. All you have just enumerated above has eclipsed your opening speech below:

nwuyag:
@ ITALO
this is very true. I wont lie that they do not preach. [b]They do that wel[/b]l.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 28, 2013
garripack:

Bros I attended one that preach and it was a real preaching

1 Like

Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by skyscraperTM(m): 6:48pm On Oct 28, 2013
Thanks @nwuyag for supporting me.

Nobody can deny the fact that catholic churches do preaches but if you noticed in my previous comment i focused more on the luxurious lifestyle of the church. I never knew a catholic church could be that materialistic compared to pentecostals untill that day.
Re: Do Catholic Churches Preach At All ??????? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 28, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Thanks @nwuyag for supporting me.

Nobody can deny the fact that catholic churches do preaches but if you noticed in my previous comment i focused more on the luxurious lifestyle of the church. I never knew a catholic church could be that materialistic compared to pentecostals untill that day.
No mind me.
all these cath people will just be forming what I don't know. Especially the nigerian ones. I know they can't deny this. I have seen it in other places. . Tho ofcourse, this is the least neccesity in their doctrine. You can verify that outside nigeria.
I just said let me open their yansh small

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Names Of Funny Churches In Nigeria / My Olowogbogboro DP / Jesus And The New Testament : A Closer Look.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.