Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,148 members, 7,807,477 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads (6468 Views)

CBN To Reintroduce Fee On Remote-on-us ATM Withdrawal / Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA / Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by memud6: 1:57am On Oct 28, 2013
Against the backdrop of deteriorating Federal roads nationwide, the Federal Government may have decided to reintroduce tolling on its highways, to raise money to fix the roads.

A policy document on the reintroduction of tolling may be forwarded to the Federal Executive Council by Works Minister, Mike Onolememen, for approval and implementation.

The policy document is known as Green Paper: Federal Roads and Bridges Tolling Policy for Nigeria.’
The Director, Public, Private Partnership, Federal Ministry of Works, Babatunde Ekusinmi, who disclosed this to newsmen noted that “Nigeria had operated some toll roads for several years, but they were abandoned in 2004, due mainly to legal disputes, revenue leakages and unmet maintenance of the tolled roads. With tolling once again being considered as a policy option, Nigeria has the advantage that it can assess successfully and execute tolling to develop, build, manage and maintain roads”.

The Green Paper proposal claimed that tolling policy would foster the improvement of Nigerian roads and bridges. “Tolling would generate the revenue needed to recover cost to the private investor of the construction, rehabilitation, financing, maintenance and operation of the road and bridge, and to achieve reasonable returns for that investor; the Federal Government would enter into toll concessions only where such concessions are financially viable and forecast traffic volume is high (unless there are strong economic or social grounds).

The Paper also said the Federal Government would permit tolling only for specific roads and bridges where the related investment results in significant improvements for road users and toll payers; the Federal Government would ensure that tolls are ring-fenced and dedicated to defraying the costs of rehabilitation, upgrading, maintenance and operation of such roads; the Federal Government would introduce mandatory public consultations prior to tolling any road or bridge in Nigeria, to provide users with critical information in advance of the tolling being introduced.
Bad-Ore-Road

Benin-Ore Road

The Federal Government would give preference to tolling by established and reputable private firms; toll rates would distinguish between vehicle classes to reflect the cost of providing road space to a class of vehicles and their relative usage impact on road pavements; tolls should be fixed during the length of a concession, subject only to periodic increases which are agreed in the contract and are based on an adjustment formula which takes account of inflation and other variables.

Ekusinmi said it would be necessary to empower concessionaires to appoint officers with powers to stop vehicles and verify toll payment, and such powers would be clearly specified and circumscribed to avoid potential for abuse.

He said the Federal Government would speedily implement institutional reforms to clarify responsibilities for implementing and overseeing road and bridge tolling; the Federal Government would ensure it has sufficient capacity to oversee the implementation of toll concessions – initially through the Ministry of Works and Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, FERMA, and subsequently through the establishment of the proposed Federal Roads Authority, FRA.

He emphasised that the application of Public-Private Partnerships, PPPs, with the use of tolling, provides Nigeria with an excellent strategy to improve its roads and bridges for the benefit of Nigeria’s economy, businesses and communities.

Projects, he said were already progressing rapidly and that “it is essential that the policy framework is in place to support and facilitate such progress. A tolling policy will establish the enabling environment in which tolling is applied appropriately, and investors and the public can be confident in the future.

“The intent of the Tolling Policy Green Paper is clear. Tolling and private investment should be used to achieve substantial improvements to Nigerian roads and bridges. The Green Paper objective is to improve the proposed policy, and the Federal Ministry of Works looks forward to

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/bad-roads-fg-reintroduce-toll-gates/
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Nobody: 2:11am On Oct 28, 2013
I thought they call Fashola "the hater of the poor" for creating toll booths in Lagos. So FG also hates the poor with the intention of erecting toll gates on federal roads. Well......... it is the right thing to do. It is done in most of the developed countries I have been to.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by rilibaba08: 2:31am On Oct 28, 2013
Pdp a party without direction

1 Like

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Sloan: 3:07am On Oct 28, 2013
payless: I thought they call Fashola "the hater of the poor" for creating toll booths in Lagos. So FG also hates the poor with the intention of erecting toll gates on federal roads. Well......... it is the right thing to do. It is done in most of the developed countries I have been to.

Did the PDP FG not spend millions to pull down all toll gates a few years ago? Now, they will spend 10times more to rebuild it all again and the roads will be as bad as it was before? What happened to SURE-P? The money they are getting from there is not enough?

I think all State governments should reject this directionless initiative and tell the FG to hand over the roads to the respective state governments. Let the state governments be responsible for all roads within their states and if there must be toll gates, let it be within the state so that if the state governments collect tolls and the road is bad, the government house / office is only minutes away where the people can go directly to their governors and drag him to the road to fix it himself!

5 Likes

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Tuntheycr7: 3:19am On Oct 28, 2013
Nawa o
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Nobody: 3:39am On Oct 28, 2013
Sloan:

Did the PDP FG not spend millions to pull down all toll gates a few years ago? Now, they will spend 10times more to rebuild it all again and the roads will be as bad as it was before? What happened to SURE-P? The money they are getting from there is not enough?

I think all State governments should reject this directionless initiative and tell the FG to hand over the roads to the respective state governments. Let the state governments be responsible for all roads within their states and if there must be toll gates, let it be within the state so that if the state governments collect tolls and the road is bad, the government house / office is only minutes away where the people can go directly to their governors and drag him to the road to fix it himself!

FG is in a tough situation when it comes to revenue. Nigeria is broke and FG won't admit it. They have no money to finance the roads. The intention of FG is to give these roads out to private firms. Nigerians will be at the mercy of these firms with exorbitant toll fees.

It is an open secret that FG is currently spending more than it is bringing in. One has to wonder why FG wants independent tax collectors out of business. The next thing we will be seeing is FG embarking on massive loans to finance the country's day to day activities.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by sheniqua: 4:38am On Oct 28, 2013
Like the govt will see a penny of what they collect.
That is if the tool booth workers make it home alive.
Soft target for armed bandits.
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Danhumprey: 5:55am On Oct 28, 2013
This is another avenue to extort money from poor,innocent and poverty-stricken Nigerians all in the name of developing our roads. The Federal Government can't be trusted.

1 Like

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 28, 2013
Brb
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by AbuMikey(m): 1:52pm On Oct 28, 2013

Na only me dey here ? grin

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by dridowu: 1:53pm On Oct 28, 2013
Confusionist FG
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 28, 2013
End Time Corruption

1 Like

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by 3ace(m): 1:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
Another room for corruption. Meanwhile, has anybody noticed this?

www2.nairaland.com/

What does the "2" mean?
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Brimmie(m): 1:57pm On Oct 28, 2013
grin grin

At Last!! I Thought I Wasnt A Nairaland Addict.. sad

But Since Morning.. 7am I Guess, I've Been Reloading The Site.. Gettin All Sorts Of Error! Frm Error 402 to Error 419.. I Changed IP Twice, Jus Incase Maybe They (OGAS At The Top) Denied Us Access To Nairaland.

Nna, I Love Nairaland Nor Be Small! undecided undecided Walahi!!

Back To The Matter.. Stella Must Go, Stella Must Stay!! cheesy cheesy

**Fufu.. Ofe Ogbono Na Kunu Juru Oyi**
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by treks(m): 2:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
Am sorry to say that this administration is in total confusion. What happened to the so called SURE-P that is tasked with such responsibilities? FG removal of fuel subsidy was preached by the economy coordinating minister to tackle such issues when nigerians were out protesting on the streets. Today that money cant manage our roads. We are in serious trouble caused by this planless and un- coordinated govt.
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 28, 2013
where are sincerenoisemaker and co

this is going to be good - after paying them to lambst apc policies, the govt adopts same cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by GeneralJ(m): 2:22pm On Oct 28, 2013
So that 225 million they spent on bmw couldn't be used to patch a couple of potholes, fucking corrput lying idiots
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by MAYOWAAK: 2:34pm On Oct 28, 2013
In Nigeria, you don't dodge potholes when you are driving you just choose the ones you will enter. -Pastor Sam Adeyemi

3 Likes

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by iamswizz(m): 2:37pm On Oct 28, 2013
Gej till 2019
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by uchechuks4all: 3:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
That's the only thing they are very good at, extorting money from the poor masses to buy more armoured vehicles for themselves. What have they done with the current tax nigerians are paying?

1 Like

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by pheesayor(m): 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2013
you're right, the roads got worse when the tolls were removed. Fashola's toll is in order, even the badagry road being expanded will be tolled on the expressway leaving service lane free for those who don't want to pay toll. My problem with the tolling is the amount charged and the frequency of the toll gates.

payless: I thought they call Fashola "the hater of the poor" for creating toll booths in Lagos. So FG also hates the poor with the intention of erecting toll gates on federal roads. Well......... it is the right thing to do. It is done in most of the developed countries I have been to.
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by stan4b(m): 3:13pm On Oct 28, 2013
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by patriotic007: 4:09pm On Oct 28, 2013
Excellent idea,....We all know that Nigerians dont mess with their private business so the solution is privatisation,....some people say its a avenue to extort the masses but i think if you can put a car on a major highway to travel,fuel the car,even buy different snacks and food on the way then a toll of 100 or 200 naira should not be your problem full stop,...

1 Like

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by texazzpete(m): 5:28pm On Oct 28, 2013
patriotic007: Excellent idea,....We all know that Nigerians dont mess with their private business so the solution is privatisation,....some people say its a avenue to extort the masses but i think if you can put a car on a major highway to travel,fuel the car,even buy different snacks and food on the way then a toll of 100 or 200 naira should not be your problem full stop,...

I know you're a child, but those of us who are old enough remember that Obasanjo scrapped the toll gates as a concession to increasing the fuel price.
Can you now explain why - with no commensurate reduction in pump price - are the tollgates coming back?

It's not about what money 'is your problem'. it's about not being unfairly asked to pay.

Anyway, to borrow your words, if the FG is able to put together billions of naira on political jamborees and a harebrained plan to spend tens of billions on a centenary celebration next year, putting together billions of naira to fix the roads shouldn't be their problem.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by taharqa: 5:48pm On Oct 28, 2013
texazzpete:

I know you're a child, but those of us who are old enough remember that Obasanjo scrapped the toll gates as a concession to increasing the fuel price.
Can you now explain why - with no commensurate reduction in pump price - are the tollgates coming back?

It's not about what money 'is your problem'. it's about not being unfairly asked to pay.

Anyway, to borrow your words, if the FG is able to put together billions of naira on political jamborees and a harebrained plan to spend tens of billions on a centenary celebration next year, putting together billions of naira to fix the roads shouldn't be their problem.
The FOOOLISHNESS and Unbelievable IGNORANCE that some of you Kids spew on this forum almost regularly is truly Astonishing... I know that by now I shouldn't be surprised (and, am usuali not) but there are times when it just gets to me..
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Oildichotomy(m): 5:51pm On Oct 28, 2013
Simple
Policy somersault is synonymous with Nigeria.
No biggie

1 Like

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by solotutu(m): 7:21pm On Oct 28, 2013
So are they trying to tell me there isnt any CASH in the FG's treasury ehhhhn? shame on this greedy ppl

CLICK and LIKE https://www.facebook.com/IwillvoteJKF2014.org
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by UyiIredia(m): 7:32pm On Oct 28, 2013
payless: I thought they call Fashola "the hater of the poor" for creating toll booths in Lagos. So FG also hates the poor with the intention of erecting toll gates on federal roads. Well......... it is the right thing to do It is done in most of the developed countries I have been to.

@ bolde: It ISN'T. Nigeria has peculiarities which exempts it from this excuse principal of which money from a certain region (the Niger Delta) have been siphone through sham contracts to repair such roads. Why will our money be wasted enter the pocket of a few and we all are expected to pat for the govt ineptitude.
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Vires: 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2013
After Obasanjo increased the price of fuel and demolished all the toll gates
Now this government wants to introduce it again
na wa for this foul air oooo ?
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by ollyruffy: 7:59pm On Oct 28, 2013
PDP and GEJ should continue to extort all and be looting all. Their days are numbered as d ruling party. 2015 is around d corner.
Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by Garrithe1st: 8:04pm On Oct 28, 2013
Where is sincere1diot??

1 Like

Re: FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads by kkkp: 8:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
Bcus u are using 2 usernames
3ace: Another room for corruption. Meanwhile, has anybody noticed this?

www2.nairaland.com/

What does the "2" mean?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of Zakzaky After Being Shot / FG Remains Focused On Rescuing Leah Sharibu — Osinbajo / Why We Are Reviving UPN - Fasehun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.