Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria (24172 Views)

Uzodinma Iweala: 'Beast Of No Nation', Based On Novel By Okonjo-iweala‘s Son / Alone (2015) Opening Day Box Office Business Report / Rihanna And Beyonce For MTN Project Fame Opening Gala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 2:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
Okonjo-Iweala backs Bloomberg TV’s operation in Nigeria

The Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has expressed her support for the recent inauguration of the Bloomberg TV Africa in the country.

During the North American launch of Bloomberg TV Africa in Washington DC, Okonjo-Iweala said the establishment of the media unit in Nigeria was a welcome addition to the country’s growing economy.

“This will be the first station – TV station – from abroad to be based in Nigeria and I think you’ve got it right,” the minister said, according to a Bloomberg statement.

Addressing an audience of 70 delegates, who were in Washington DC to attend the World Bank-International Monetary Fund annual meetings, she commended the Bloomberg Media Group for having the foresight to base its production and operational hub in Nigeria.

She added, “I want to say to all who are not in Nigeria that if you’re not in Nigeria, you’re not in Africa; so, I think Bloomberg TV has got it right.”

The Chairman, Bloomberg Media Group, Mr. Andy Lack, expressed excitement at his organisation’s plans for the Nigerian market.

He said, “We at Bloomberg believe in Nigeria, its people and its role in the developing African growth story. Our partnership with the Nigeria-based Optima Media Group has enabled us to develop a platform for Africa’s growing business and financial community that will significantly extend our presence across the continent.”

The Chairman, Optima Media Group and Vice-Chairman of Bloomberg TV Africa, Mr. Rotimi Pedro, said, “Bloomberg TV Africa will deliver the highest quality news and business programming that will empower Africans to tell their story from their own perspectives.

“We aim to provide relevant and up-to-date information to enable African business leaders to make informed business and investment decisions.”

According to the statement, the event was attended by several personalities, including the President, African Development Bank, Dr. Donald Kaberuka; the Group Managing Director, UBA Plc, Mr. Phillips Oduoza; and Managing Director, Diamond Bank Plc, Dr. Alex Otti.

Others were Executive Director, Heritage Bank, Mrs. Mary Akpobome, and a representative of the Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Lamido Sanusi, among others.

The North America launch of Bloomberg TV Africa is the first in a series of launches, according to the statement.

It said further events would be held in Kenya, South Africa and Nigeria.

Bloomberg TV Africa is expected to begin full operations from its Lagos hub in the first quarter of 2014, with three to four hours of business programming available to African viewers each day.

http://www.punchng.com/business/money/okonjo-iweala-backs-bloomberg-tvs-operation-in-nigeria/

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 2:08pm On Oct 28, 2013
I think this is a welcome development. Anything to get our local TV stations cracking and leaving their medieval ways of running TV.

12 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Tolexander: 2:23pm On Oct 28, 2013
This is a nice developement!
She added, “I want to say
to all who are not in
Nigeria that if you’re not in
Nigeria, you’re not in
Africa; so, I think
Bloomberg TV has got it
right.”
madam should watch her words cos this may be used against her by the other african countries in the future if she's still nursing the ambition of becoming the world bank president.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 2:25pm On Oct 28, 2013
Tolexander: This is a nice developement!madam should watch her words cos this may be used against her by the other african countries in the future if she's still nursing the ambition of becoming the world bank president.
She's speaking as Nigerian leader and there's nothing wrong in that. Even if she becomes the president of world bank, will that stop her from being a Nigerian?

26 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Emmyk(m): 2:35pm On Oct 28, 2013
Welcome debelofmont

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by dridowu: 2:41pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nice 1 at our harvard madam and if it finally works out, guess what job creation be dat 4 my padis in communication industry

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Capnd143(m): 2:48pm On Oct 28, 2013
If and only if the likes of Ait and channelsTV will get a clue 4rm them!
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 2:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
Capnd143: If and only if the likes of Ait and channelsTV will get a clue 4rm them!
If they don't, they'll die a natural death. Even Ebony Life TV that was opened a few months back is up to international standard and other Nigerian stations should take a cue from them.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Lilimax(f): 3:58pm On Oct 28, 2013
This is a sign of good things to come.
Jobs will be created for the the unemployed ones.

Kudos to you ma'am smiley.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by idupaul: 4:05pm On Oct 28, 2013
Tolexander: This is a nice developement!madam should watch her words cos this may be used against her by the other african countries in the future if she's still nursing the ambition of becoming the world bank president.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by idupaul: 4:07pm On Oct 28, 2013

Believe after her stint with the most corrupt govt in human history she will forget about anything UN
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by olaezebala: 4:11pm On Oct 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
If they don't, they'll die a natural death. Even Ebony Life TV that was opened a few months back is up to international standard and other Nigerian stations should take a cue from them.

Mehn, that station de represent no be small
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by doctokwus: 4:16pm On Oct 28, 2013
Afam4eva: I think this is a welcome development. Anything to get our local TV stations cracking and leaving their medieval ways of running TV.
Well said.D tv stations we av in nigeria(d ones dat claim 2 b major ones,not d stone aged versions in all states),e.g channels,ait,continental,nta,are @best,2me,studio presentations of still productions,dey wudnt honestly b recognised as tv stations in modern climes.
My concern is dat bloomberg is biz oriented& wudnt really get d other stations to become real tv stations,as cnn,bbc or aljazeera wud av done if dey also av hubs,not just correspondents,in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2013
Job creation. Nice
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by EzePromoe: 4:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
A good development for Nigeria.
Bloomberg will set the pace for other International TV stations, because it seem like all these TV stations have chosen South Africa as their media hub in Africa.
E.g CNN, Vox, MTV, TRACE, Telemundo etc.
It's high time they came to recognize the fact that Nigeria is more African than than the pseudo-white Mzansi populace.

20 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 28, 2013
oga talk another thing

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Tolexander: 4:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
She's speaking as Nigerian leader and there's nothing wrong in that. Even if she becomes the president of world bank, will that stop her from being a Nigerian?
ya, there is nothing wrong in speaking like a nigerian and being the world bank president won't stop here from being a nigerian but mind you, her being a nigerian won't be the vehicle to the presidency but with the help of other nations which the other african countries are part of, though their votes may be minimal.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:59pm On Oct 28, 2013
olaezebala:

Mehn, that station de represent no be small
I never really gave Mo Abudu a chance when i heard that she was setting up Ebony Life TV but right now, i'm addicted to the station cos it's very unlike other Nigerian stations. Their picture and program me quality is second to none. Those people really did their home work.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by biafranqueen: 8:40pm On Oct 28, 2013
no she is marketing her department the more investors the better the economy, her record will sparkle!

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by biafranqueen: 8:41pm On Oct 28, 2013
Tolexander: ya, there is nothing wrong in speaking like a nigerian and being the world bank president won't stop here from being a nigerian but mind you, her being a nigerian won't be the vehicle to the presidency but with the help of other nations which the other african countries are part of, though their votes may be minimal.
she should focus on running for President of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by JMOI: 10:26pm On Oct 28, 2013
[size=18pt]GEJ is working. Everybody now wants to partner with Nigeria. That's why I always say GEJ till 2019. This fresh air dey sweet me for body.[/size]

22 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 28, 2013
Good one but when they set up their office or HQ in Lagos they will say its ... No offence intended
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by 80million1: 10:27pm On Oct 28, 2013
If TECNO can PING, who says your SITUATION cannot CHANGE?
ONLY BELIEVE IN GOD!

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 10:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
Okonjo Iweala should go and sit down. She's on the FEC...what has she - along with her cohorts - been doing to ensure that NTA gets the drastic overhaul it sorely needs?

It's 2013 and the 'Giant of Africa' cannot even broadcast in HD. Nearly all live events covered by NTA have abysmal audio and video quality. Such an utter disgrace.

10 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 10:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
hhhh
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:32pm On Oct 28, 2013
Will the station be broadcasting epl and champions league matches? Na that one concern me oo..

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by skyscraperTM(m): 10:33pm On Oct 28, 2013
Who cares? So long it's in nigeria it's still a local station and only God knows how much i hate local stations especially NTA.

#TeamDSTV
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 28, 2013
texazzpete: Okonjo Iweala should go and sit down. She's on the FEC...what has she - along with her cohorts - been doing to ensure that NTA gets the drastic overhaul it sorely needs?

It's 2013 and the 'Giant of Africa' cannot even broadcast in HD. Nearly all live events covered by NTA have abysmal audio and video quality. Such an utter disgrace.

Ode, so na NOI go leave her work go dey direct NTA. U mumu no be small. I'd rather they close that thing if not for the employees that would be out of work.

10 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Backs Bloomberg TV Opening In Nigeria by highmood(m): 10:37pm On Oct 28, 2013
Hope they are coming for good. Because this foreign media, I no seem to trust Dem now oh.,as them don,de spy on each others now. But if they are for good. Fine, have a great time in nija.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Voice Nigeria Season 1 (official Thread) / Amazon Prime To Layoff Staff And Stop Producing African Content / Bbnaija 2018: Miyonse And Kemen Advise Contestants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.