Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,676 members, 7,801,949 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? (20409 Views)

Marrying A Second Wife: A Muslimah's Short Story / Why I Should Take A Second Wife! / Can I Do This For My Wife If She Likes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by nene1: 6:31pm On Oct 28, 2013
Salams everyone,

I had a discussion with my mom and cousin about polygamy. I feel that EVERY man would practice polygamy if they could even including non muslims who criticize our system. So I just wanted to ask the muslim men here if they would marry more women if they were wealthy or if they would still stick to one wife. I think that in theory polygamy, is a good idea for women (not just men). If people did it right it would be of great benefit to women, but many men cannot be fair. Also women don't respect each other. They try to give each other hell. This is why I prefer to avoid polygamy. I am really afraid of my future husband cheating on me or marrying another wife. I really hope I find one who is fine with one wife and set of kids. I would be devastated if it happened to me. I don't think I have the patience or strength to endure it. Are there men out there that can actually control their desires and be faithful to one woman. My cousin's mother is a 3rd wife so she has no problem with polygamy and was almost ready to be a 2nd wife of an older rich guy. However he has been married to his one wife for many years. He's one of the few rich men with 1 wife. My cousin thinks it's selfish to want a man all to yourself. I disagree, if you are in love with your husband, why would you want to share him with another woman? Polygamy only needs to be practiced by a few men in order for every woman to find a husband. It doesn't have to be mine. Some women are ok with it and some are not. It is not fard in Islam so everyone doesn't have to do it. Well that's my feeling on polygamy. Maybe I am wrong, but we do have a choice on what type of marriage we want.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by deols(f): 7:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
subscribing wink
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by jaybee3(m): 7:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
I personally don't think it's possible to love two women equally so i wouldn't be practising polygamy even if i was as rich as dangote.

6 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Sissie(f): 9:32pm On Oct 28, 2013
Op theirs nothing wrong in wanting your husband all to yourself, not all women can handle polygamy.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Deen4me(m): 9:38pm On Oct 28, 2013
This one na banger ooo grin

On a more serious note, Lets look at the facts

Polygamy : a system of marriage whereby one person has more than one spouse

Polygyny : where a man marries more than one woman (Allowed in Islam)

Polyandry : where a woman marries more than one man (Not Allowed in Islam)

1 Islam did not introduce polygyny

Moses 2 wives (Exodus 2:21 , Numbers 12:1)
Abraham at least three wives (Genesis 16:3 ,Genesis 25: 1-5)
David -12 Wives , 3 Concubines (1 Samuel 18:27 ,1 Chronicles 3 1-5)
Solomon 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 kings 11:3 ,Songs 6:8 2 Kings 10:1)

2 : The Qur'an is the only religious scripture in the world that says, 'marry only one'

"Then marry those that please you of women
two or three or four.
but if you fear you will not be just, then (marry only) one " Q 4:3

3. Polygyny protects the interests of women and children in society. It requires men to spend on their additional wives and their offspring.

The Prophet(PBUH) says,
“When a man has two wives and he is inclined to one of them, he will come on the Day of resurrection with a side hanging down (paralyzed) Abu Dawud

4.Only a minority (10-15 %) of Muslims practice polygyny because of additional financial and psychological burdens of handling more than one family.

40 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Fkforyou(m): 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2013
Personaly....I would prefer just one cos all my attention and wealth would be on her I don't need to start over analysing all my actions but offlate I wouldn't mind a second wife if am able too...in essence I won't mind having a second wife although i would be comfortable with just one.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Deen4me(m): 10:16pm On Oct 28, 2013
Islams aims to solve societal problems by practical means

Not everybody likes polygamy, but my opinion is it should be encouraged.

.........And live with them in kindness. For if you dislike them - perhaps you dislike a thing and Allah makes therein much good. (Q 4:19)

When I see what a lot of ladies go through either willingly or unwillingly under the guise of trying to get married.

Dignity and honour is thrown under the trailer.

Pressure from home, society, Biological clocks , a lot of wrong decisions are made.

I can only pray that my sisters never have to go through such.

And lets not forget the widows, chances of them getting remarried is slim and God bless you if you have kids in tow. cry

I believe a lot of the negativity stems from what society exposes one to, i.e Africa magic Yoruba etc wink

How our fathers practiced it without adhering the Islamic rules etc

@ OP

I don't think it is proper for a believer to connote negativity on what Allah has given approval for.

My advise to you is pray to Allah to give you what is best for you.

He may decide to test you with anything. Our prayer as believers is we pass those tests in flying colours.

We have a lot of sisters in their late 30's and 40's who are yet to get married, If reverse was the case would you still stand on your opinion

The point is explained by the Hadith of the Rasul (PBUH)

Anas relates that the Prophet (PBUH) said: “None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.

Bukhari & Muslim

Let me leave you with this article letting you know its not only local to Nigeria but a global phenomenon

The sooner we start addressing the problem the better for us

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20131026184706

Salam Alaikum

22 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by deols(f): 3:19pm On Oct 29, 2013
@Deen4me, You claim that it solves certain societal issues, like helping widows get married. Whereas there is no law asking the men to only have other wives out of pity for them or so as to spend on them.

Many a time they are driven by lust..and the social effects of that can even have grave consequences.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Deen4me(m): 4:48pm On Oct 29, 2013
deols: @Deen4me, You claim that it solves certain societal issues, like helping widows get married. Whereas there is no law asking the men to only have other wives out of pity for them or so as to spend on them.
Many a time they are driven by lust..and the social effects of that can even have grave consequences.

Not to sugar coat it

We should not connote negativity if any Muslim decides to marry based on physical attributes (as you put it lust). It is perfectly legal from the Islamic point.

Find references below

Made beloved to me from your world are women and perfume,and the coolness of my eyes is in the prayer.”

(Ahmad and An-Nasa ‘i)

Narrated by Abu Huraira (RA), Muhammad {PBUH} said:

"A woman is married for four things, i.e., her wealth, her family status, her beauty, and her religion. So you should marry ...the religious woman [otherwise], you will be a loser.'"

(Bukhaari, 3/242; Muslim, 2/1086)

Whichever of the four reasons for getting married to a woman (1st,2nd,3rd or 4th), so long as its done in accordance to the sunnah, it s rewardable.

'Umar b. al-Khattab narrated that the Prophet (PBUH) said:
Deeds are [a result] only of the intentions [of the actor], and an individual is [rewarded]
only according to that which he intends. Therefore, whosoever has emigrated for the sake of Allah and His messenger,
then his emigration was for Allah and His messenger. Whosoever emigrated for the sake of worldly gain,
or a woman [whom he desires] to marry, then his emigration is for the sake of that which [moved him] to emigrate."

Bukhari and Muslim.

Finally can you please educate me on the bolded statement above

6 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by deols(f): 3:54am On Oct 30, 2013
Deen4me:

Not to sugar coat it

We should not connote negativity if any Muslim decides to marry based on physical attributes (as you put it lust). It is perfectly legal from the Islamic point.

Find references below

Made beloved to me from your world are women and perfume,and the coolness of my eyes is in the prayer.”

(Ahmad and An-Nasa ‘i)

Narrated by Abu Huraira (RA), Muhammad {PBUH} said:

"A woman is married for four things, i.e., her wealth, her family status, her beauty, and her religion. So you should marry ...the religious woman [otherwise], you will be a loser.'"

(Bukhaari, 3/242; Muslim, 2/1086)

Whichever of the four reasons for getting married to a woman (1st,2nd,3rd or 4th), so long as its done in accordance to the sunnah, it s rewardable.

'Umar b. al-Khattab narrated that the Prophet (PBUH) said:
Deeds are [a result] only of the intentions [of the actor], and an individual is [rewarded]
only according to that which he intends. Therefore, whosoever has emigrated for the sake of Allah and His messenger,
then his emigration was for Allah and His messenger. Whosoever emigrated for the sake of worldly gain,
or a woman [whom he desires] to marry, then his emigration is for the sake of that which [moved him] to emigrate."

Bukhari and Muslim.

Finally can you please educate me on the bolded statement above

I am only saying that your point of polygyny helping society becomes invalid when there is no law guiding the men on reasons to choose it. They can choose it out of lust, and they would still be ok, Islamically.

There are also situations where younger girls would rather marry the rich older men, neglecting the younger guys.

I don't think that this helps society. In essence, I am saying that there is no point justifying it. People get into it for personal reasons and most of the time,not because they want to save the world.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by sexymoma(f): 12:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
Why can't you spend your wealth on one wife and see how beautiful and peace you life would be....
Instead of investing on second wife.. you could achieve a whole lot of thing with that money you know.

And moreover dont you know you are harboring someone else wife ni
After now men will be looking for wives while one man married 8 women

One Man, One Wife
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by ZUBY77(m): 12:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
I would if i have to.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
To be honest, if you really want to practise religion and have peace, it is safer to have one wife..one wife is already a problem for the man talkless of two or three...just ask children frm polygamous homes they will give u their experience.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by MrAboki: 12:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
YES!!!

ALLAH DEMANDS IT OF ALL MUSLIMS..

A man is allowed to marry up to four women for many reasons, benefiting both the man and the women.

•Firstly, it may help the women as in the case of the Prophet where he often married poor women or women whose husbands died in battle. This was to help and protect them.

•Secondly, as the prophet Abraham (as) married, they may bear the man a child when the first wife cannot. Instead of abandoning a women for her inability to conceive, he marries another and *treats them both with justice)

•And lastly, in the case of a man tempted to commit adultery with another women. Instead of this man committing a grave sin, adultury, Allah has given man an ease within his law and allowed man to marry another women. The aim of this is to prevent man and the women from committing a grave sin. Many people look at this law as a selfish addition to men but in fact it is meant as an ease on both men and women; it's not an excuse to 'have fun' with many wives but in fact it is meant to help ease men and women with their way of life.

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!
ALLAHU AKBAR
ALLAHU AKBAR

12 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by biggiyke(m): 12:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
no sir!! one wife is enough headache already. i would want to live long enough to enjoy my wealth. grin
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Fazhy: 12:57pm On Oct 31, 2013
[size=18pt]Second wife?[/size] [size=18pt]NO WAY!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by BabaAlabi: 12:57pm On Oct 31, 2013
Hm
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 31, 2013
smiley
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Burger01(m): 12:58pm On Oct 31, 2013
Hey!! I'm not a muslim o. Ok?! But, my I ma follow the steps of my uncle Solomon of blessed memory..

cool

4 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by donphilopus: 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
Why should I??
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
HELL NAHHH. WHY ?
DOUBLE WAHALA FOR DEAD BODY PLUS THE OWNER OF DEAD BODY grin

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by homesteady(m): 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
2nd wife = extra wahala!
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by king94(m): 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
No.I wouldn't.I cnt bear 2 do dat to my wife.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by yuzedo: 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
I will even mary a 100rd wive. after i becum a govnore by nest mont in annambra am gonna give rita dummynick an quit notice. den i will do NL comptitetion for a new first lady dat have a sweet upstair and down stare. tongue

LOL is lie. looooook at all of dem hungry babes dey want to be her excelency cheif mrs sweetus first lady wive of anambra govnore. I can never never divorse rita sweetus nee dummynick even if u have a big boobsie + ikebe like GP tank!! angry angry angry

23 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
nene1: Salams everyone,

I had a discussion with my mom and cousin about polygamy. I feel that EVERY man would practice polygamy if they could even including non muslims who criticize our system. So I just wanted to ask the muslim men here if they would marry more women if they were wealthy or if they would still stick to one wife. I think that in theory polygamy, is a good idea for women (not just men). If people did it right it would be of great benefit to women, but many men cannot be fair. Also women don't respect each other. They try to give each other hell. This is why I prefer to avoid polygamy. I am really afraid of my future husband cheating on me or marrying another wife. I really hope I find one who is fine with one wife and set of kids. I would be devastated if it happened to me. I don't think I have the patience or strength to endure it. Are there men out there that can actually control their desires and be faithful to one woman. My cousin's mother is a 3rd wife so she has no problem with polygamy and was almost ready to be a 2nd wife of an older rich guy. However he has been married to his one wife for many years. He's one of the few rich men with 1 wife. My cousin thinks it's selfish to want a man all to yourself. I disagree, if you are in love with your husband, why would you want to share him with another woman? Polygamy only needs to be practiced by a few men in order for every woman to find a husband. It doesn't have to be mine. Some women are ok with it and some are not. It is not fard in Islam so everyone doesn't have to do it. Well that's my feeling on polygamy. Maybe I am wrong, but we do have a choice on what type of marriage we want.

Not really.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Brymo: 1:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
This isn't my biz.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by nerodenero: 1:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
nene1: Polygamy only needs to be practiced by a few men in order for every woman to find a husband
Assuming the OP is one those numerous women who could not get a husband, meaning she will stay unmarried.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 31, 2013
The character of going for a second wife or dating many girls has little or nothing to do with wealth because I've seen promiscous poor men. I feel it boils down to greed and every man has some percentages of greed in him. The problem of men who date or marry many women is the poor management of their greed.
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by yuzedo: 1:01pm On Oct 31, 2013
mod bro i beg u in god name dint hide my poast am just expressin my tot okay? is u dat ask d question on homepage and i answer dammit!!! angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by adexsimply(m): 1:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
yuzedo: I will even mary a 100rd wive. after i becum a govnore by nest mont in annambra am gonna give rita dummynick an quit notice. den i will do NL comptitetion for a new first lady dat have a sweet upstair and down stare. tongue

LOL is lie. looooook at all of dem hungry babes dey want to be her excelency cheif mrs sweetus first lady wive of anambra govnore. I can never never divorse rita sweetus nee dummynick even if u have a big boobsie + ikebe like GP tank!! angry angry angry
grin grin
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by hardbody: 1:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
nene1: Salams everyone,

Even if the money is overflowing, i will not marry more than one wife. But even wise and famed king Solomon will envy my retinue of concubines
Re: Would You Marry A Second Wife If You Were Wealthy? by MrAboki: 1:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
yuzedo: I will even mary a 100rd wive. after i becum a govnore by nest mont in annambra am gonna give rita dummynick an quit notice. den i will do NL comptitetion for a new first lady dat have a sweet upstair and down stare. tongue

Mazi I ga di o!!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

7 Practical Steps To Help You Face Any Difficult Situation / Saudi Deports 71 Of The Detained Female Hajj Pilgrims / Here's How Long Muslims Have To Fast For Ramadan Across The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.