Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,866 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:10 AM

Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November (25275 Views)

Picture Of Solar Eclipse As Seen In Ibadan / Live Updates On Today's Solar Eclipse / How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by bcomputer101: 3:54am On Oct 30, 2013
THE Director-General of National Biotechnical Development Agency (NASRDA), Dr Saidu Mohammed, has said the solar eclipse, which will occur on November 3, will come with mild darkness across the 36 states of the federation.

The Director-General, who made this known during a press briefing, last Thursday in Abuja, also advised Nigerians to remain calm, as the eclipse would not affect satellite communications or air services.

The eclipse, however, will be characterised by a flush of sunlight and mild darkness during its peak. The agency has, therefore, made available at its headquarters, sunglasses, which will serve as filters for the effect of the sun.

Dr Mohammed added that: “It will be like any other day, but its effect will be felt at its peak. It is recommended you wear sunglasses. There is no need to panic,” he concluded.

Earlier in his presentation, the Director of Centre for Astronomy, University of Nsukka, Professor Felix Okpara, who outlined the various times of the eclipse across the nation said, in Abuja, the eclipse will begin by 1:03 p.m. It will be at its maximum by 2.40 p.m and it will end by 4.03 p m in the evening. In Lagos, it will begin by 12.50 p.m, its maximum level will take place by 2.40 p.m and end by 4.01p.m.

In Ibadan, the eclipse will start by 12.52 p.m, the maximum level will be witnessed by 2.32 p.m and it will end 4.01 p.m. In Port Harcourt, the eclipse will begin by 1.03 p.m, its maximum will be experienced by 2.43 p.m and by 4.09 p.m, it will end. In Uyo, the eclipse will begin by 1.06 p.m, its maximum will be experienced by 2.45 p.m and by 4.10 p.m, it will end.

In Enugu, the eclipse will begin by 1.04 p.m, its maximum will be experienced by 2.43 p.m and by 4.07 p.m, it will end and in Kano, the eclipse will begin by 1.07 p.m, its maximum will be experienced by 2.40 p.m and by 4.01 p.m, it will end.

An eclipse is an astronomical event that occurs when an astronomical object/objects is temporarily obscured, either by passing into the shadow of another body or by having another body pass between it and the viewer as seen from the earth.

Solar eclipse was previously recorded in Nigeria concurrently in 1945, 1959, 2001 and 2006.

Source: www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/25104-solar-eclipse-occurs-on-sunday.html

6 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nobody: 4:10am On Oct 30, 2013
when such things happened, its the sign for the wise one. because life is secret for the wise.
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by khadaffi(m): 5:22am On Oct 30, 2013
You might not agree with this but these are signs of the end time.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by ckkris: 5:22am On Oct 30, 2013
Will it be TOTALITY? Thank God for Physics, otherwise some witches would be beaten up, some prophets make good money, and alfas get new wives.

16 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by donphilopus: 5:39am On Oct 30, 2013
I thought thy said we won't experience it in the south, anyways I'm ready to watch it again
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by LMAyedun(m): 5:55am On Oct 30, 2013
Ok, I will watch out then.

**searches for Binocular**
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by ObiOkpor(m): 6:06am On Oct 30, 2013
let me get my water and basin(bowel) ready.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Danfodite: 6:20am On Oct 30, 2013
Pls show me way to Benin Republic, I wan port. 1st time comment on NL. Gud morning
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Tolexander: 6:26am On Oct 30, 2013
ckkris: Will it be TOTALITY? Thank God for Physics, otherwise some witches would be beaten up, some prophets make good money, and alfas get new wives.
talking about oshofa, celestial church founder!

Let me go and buy a gobble to watch the eclipse.
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Jeel: 6:43am On Oct 30, 2013
Rapture?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 30, 2013
make i go find my binoculars
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 30, 2013
I no go,go church niyen..

1 Like

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by LewsTherin: 7:17am On Oct 30, 2013
Sunglasses are not safe for use in observing a solar eclipse. Besides, for a good part of Nigeria (Lagos for example) it is only going to be a partial eclipse.

Run a test and use your raybans to look at the sun and lets all hear the results.

There's an app in the google play store called eclipse. It will give you dates and periods for solar and lunar eclipses as well as simulate the event.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 30, 2013
and hw does this have to do with politics?
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by angelTI(f): 8:03am On Oct 30, 2013
......sunday it is then!
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by macof(m): 8:18am On Oct 30, 2013
angel TI: ......sunday it is then!
Glory be to the sun God
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by yorex2011: 8:28am On Oct 30, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
Ok, I will watch out then.

**searches for Binocular**
e be like say u wan blind

2 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by dridowu: 8:40am On Oct 30, 2013
No wonder #winnerstakesearth..............lol
Where can i get binocular ?

1 Like

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Madawaki01(m): 8:58am On Oct 30, 2013
Jeel: Rapture?
chai!!!ur mumulity no get part 2.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Iykedaprince(m): 10:43am On Oct 30, 2013
Waiting patiently.... Got to maximise the opportunity of observing the skies!!
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by angelTI(f): 2:55pm On Oct 30, 2013
macof:
Glory be to the sun God

Which sun god?
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by macof(m): 2:09pm On Oct 31, 2013
angel TI:

Which sun god?

Mithra the God of the Christians, there's also Apollo of Greece
And Anyanwu of Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by IAMBREEZY: 3:34pm On Oct 31, 2013
Good
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Sicozone(m): 3:35pm On Oct 31, 2013
....I could recall it happened last when i was in sec.skul,we were all held behind closed doors. Our teachers said it would destroy our eyes,fortunately we didn't work throughout that day nd we wished eclipse occured everyday,i remembered i escaped punishment due to it on dat day. Although some of us smuggled to check it out. I remembered we used sweet wrappers. It was a luvly xperience then. Night during d day..... What an Awesome God.....

1 Like

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nwoka(m): 3:35pm On Oct 31, 2013
This is a fallacious post....we are experiencing lunar eclipse..... this is when the earth comes between the sun and the moon,thus a reddish appearance of the moon! I do not know your source , but the next solar eclipse is about 20yrs from now!
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Kemy11(m): 3:35pm On Oct 31, 2013
God its the second time im experiencing solar eclipse. Still counting
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 31, 2013
macof:

Mithra the God of the Christians, there's also Apollo of Greece
And Anyanwu of Igboland.
Your stupidity defies belief.. Mptchewww

3 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by yungdamaz(m): 3:36pm On Oct 31, 2013
Eclipse abii...ah fink we would xperince PRE-ECLIPSE wen phcn strikes morrow

5 Likes

Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Justicemy: 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2013
i've heard dis many times even wen i was stil in high skul.. Dey always anticipate it but it doesnt come to pass.
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2013
IAMBREEZY: Good

See his small head LOL. smiley
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2013
I missed having a close look at the last one i won't miss this for anything.
Re: Solar Eclipse Occurs On 3rd November by iamteaser: 3:37pm On Oct 31, 2013
Wow! I'm about to witness the third solar eclipse in my lifetime.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mother-of-Two Breastfeeds Her Dog To "Feel Complete" / The Ozone Layer Is Growing Back / Total Solar Eclipse Over Antarctica As Moon Completely Covers The Sun (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.