Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

"The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers (5248 Views)

When Prayer Is Hard: 10 Bible Verses To Help You Talk To God / Reason Why Our Prayer Is Not Being Answer And The Solution!!! Pleased Read / Famous Rosary Miracles (for Believers). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by damilarelr(m): 6:09am On Oct 30, 2013
You need to read this with an open mind leaving out any form of indoctrination. So here we go:

Some people still pray this prayer:

'And forgive us our trespasses...AS WE...forgive those who trespass against us'! (Matt 6:12)

I once thought that was the perfect way to ask God for mercy since it was generally referred to as 'The Lord's Prayer'!

But I was surprised to find out that it was the church that generally refers to this prayer as 'The Lord's Prayer'!

Now listen carefully: this prayer is NOT meant for believers!

Have you ever come across a verse in the New Testament after the resurrection of Jesus where any disciple of Christ prayed the so called "Lord's prayer"?

This prayer was a perfect prayer for people in the days of Jesus who believed Jesus was the Messiah but had not become beneficiary of the New Covenant yet because the Holy Spirit had not yet been given because Jesus had not yet been GLORIFIED! (John 7:39)

That is why the prayer begins with:
Our Father
who ART IN HEAVEN...

This implies a sense of distance between 'those who are praying' this prayer and the 'Father' they are praying to!

Listen; the day you became born again, God made you SIT together with Jesus in HEAVENLY PLACES at the RIGHT HAND of God!!! (Eph 2:6, Heb 1:3, Heb 10:12)

If you are a believer, you are not praying to a Father 'who art in Heaven'!!!

You are praying to....ABBA Father!!!

The Bible says:
'And because ye are SONS, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, ABBA FATHER. Wherefore thou art NO MORE a servant, but a SON; and if a SON then an heir of God through Christ'! (Gal 4:6-7)

The word 'ABBA' implies that you are now SO NEAR to your Father! (these are not made up words)

The Bible says:

'But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes WERE FAR OFF ...are made NEAR by the blood of Christ'! (Eph 2:13)

Stop having a sense of distance between you and your Father!

It is good we learn to rightly DIVIDE the word of Truth whenever we read the Scriptures.

Let's get back to where we started from on the prayer of forgiveness.

'And forgive us our trespasses...AS WE...forgive those who trespass against us'! (Matt 6:11)...AS WE...

Before Jesus died, He said to His disciples:

'I have yet many things to say unto you, BUT YE CANNOT BEAR THEM NOW.' (John 16:12)

You see, one of the Truths which Jesus deferred to tell the disciples was the Truth of ...PERFECT FORGIVENESS...as a result of His death on the cross! (read further before you call for my head)

He told them in the next verse:

'Howbeit when He, the SPIRIT OF TRUTH, is come, He will guide you into ALL TRUTH...' (John 16:13)

Now let us see how the Spirit of Truth taught us about the forgiveness of sins in the New covenant.

'...forgiving one another, EVEN AS God for Christ sake HATH FORGIVEN you'! (Eph 4:32)

Did you see that?

Before Jesus died, He said....'And forgive us....AS WE...forgive those who trespass against us'!

When the Spirit of Truth came, He said....'forgiving one another, EVEN AS God for Christ sake HATH FORGIVEN you'!

Wow!

The former teaches that....you should forgive others SO THAT God will forgive you....

The latter teaches that....you should forgive others BECAUSE God has forgiven you!

The reason you find it difficult to forgive is that you are yet to understand how much God has FORGIVEN you!

When you understand that on the day you became born again, God did not only forgive you of your past and present sins alone...but also your FUTURE sins (Col 2:13-14), you will begin to forgive others even before they offend you!!!

'We love....BECAUSE....HE first loved us'! (1john 4:19)

Do you believe He loves you unconditionally?

If yes, then you will be empowered to LOVE others unconditionally! (Luke 7:47).

Remain in His Grace.

3 Likes

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 30, 2013
The information You're trying to pass across is not even clear, there is a relationship between the two verses and that is forgive those who sin against you, it didn't say otherwise so i don't know why You're saying It's not for christians too... That prayer was the Prayer Jesus taught the disciples, if it was for unbelievers, he wouldn't have taught them.....and do you know the prayer of a sinner/unbeliever is an abomination before the Lord? God does not honour such prayers so It's kinda senseless for them to pray. I think people should start focusing on things that are needed to make heaven instead of creating shaky doctrines....
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 7:50am On Oct 30, 2013
The day people realise that Jesus came as God in the flesh (John 1:1,14) and the full embodiment of the Holy Spirit of grace and truth especially when He walked on earth (John 1:33), people will start respecting Jesus more.

I am sure the way Jesus taught us in what manner to pray did not start and end with 'our Father in heaven' and 'forgive us now our tresspasses'.
Besides Our Father is in heaven, is this even disputed? So what really is the issue in reiterating this?
Is it not strange for people who have been forgiven by God and have the Holy Spirit helping them to be perfect to even harbour unforgiveness against their neighbour? Is that not already holding iniquity in one's heart?

Let us be very careful when handling the Word of God and making statements.

A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by MEILYN(m): 8:30am On Oct 30, 2013
Alwaystrue: The day people realise that Jesus came as God in the flesh (John 1:1,14) and the full embodiment of the Holy Spirit of grace and truth especially when He walked on earth (John 1:33), people will start respecting Jesus more.

I am sure the way Jesus taught us in what manner to pray did not start and end with 'our Father in heaven' and 'forgive us now our tresspasses'.
Besides Our Father is in heaven, is this even disputed? So what really is the issue in reiterating this?
Is it not strange for people who have been forgiven by God and have the Holy Spirit helping them to be perfect to even harbour unforgiveness against their neighbour? Is that not already holding iniquity in one's heart?

Let us be very careful when handling the Word of God and making statements.

A word is enough for the wise.
please. U are not wise neither are you enlightened. You wouldnt say something like the bolded if u are wise. Stop misleading people..
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by raptureready: 8:48am On Oct 30, 2013
@op

So wait, lemme guess, Jesus was TEACHING UNBELIEVERS, how to pray TO GOD IN HEAVEN?

Thank God the bible is so complete;

Mathew 6:7-13

7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions like the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8 Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him
9 In this manner therefore pray:
Our Father in heaven
Hallowed be Your name
10Your kingdom come
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
11Give us this day our daily bread
12And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who have trespassed. against us.
13And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from all evil,
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Read your bible again. Pay attention to @bold and stop deceiving people.

3 Likes

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 8:52am On Oct 30, 2013
MEILYN: please. U are not wise neither are you enlightened. You wouldnt say something like the bolded if u are wise. Stop misleading people..
cheesy The wise and enlightened thing to have done is to realise the scriptures beside the bolded was not for decoration:

John 1:1,14
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the WORD WAS GOD.
14 And the WORD WAS MADE FLESH, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld HIS GLORY, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,
) full of grace and truth.

Now that is wisdom divine.

I understand, its Nairaland afterall.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 9:24am On Oct 30, 2013
damilarelr: You need to read this with an open mind leaving out any form of indoctrination. So here we go:

Some people still pray this prayer:

'And forgive us our trespasses...AS WE...forgive those who trespass against us'! (Matt 6:12)

I once thought that was the perfect way to ask God for mercy since it was generally referred to as 'The Lord's Prayer'!

But I was surprised to find out that it was the church that generally refers to this prayer as 'The Lord's Prayer'!

Have you ever come across a verse in the New Testament after the resurrection of Jesus where any disciple of Christ prayed the so called "Lord's prayer"?

This prayer was a perfect prayer for people in the days of Jesus who believed Jesus was the Messiah but had not become beneficiary of the New Covenant yet because the Holy Spirit had not yet been given because Jesus had not yet been GLORIFIED! (John 7:39)

That is why the prayer begins with:
Our Father
who ART IN HEAVEN...

This implies a sense of distance between 'those who are praying' this prayer and the 'Father' they are praying to!

Listen; the day you became born again, God made you SIT together with Jesus in HEAVENLY PLACES at the RIGHT HAND of God!!! (Eph 2:6, Heb 1:3, Heb 10:12)

If you are a believer, you are not praying to a Father 'who art in Heaven'!!!

You are praying to....ABBA Father!!!

The Bible says:
'And because ye are SONS, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, ABBA FATHER. Wherefore thou art NO MORE a servant, but a SON; and if a SON then an heir of God through Christ'! (Gal 4:6-7)

The word 'ABBA' implies that you are now SO NEAR to your Father! (these are not made up words)

The Bible says:

'But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes WERE FAR OFF ...are made NEAR by the blood of Christ'! (Eph 2:13)

Stop having a sense of distance between you and your Father!

It is good we learn to rightly DIVIDE the word of Truth whenever we read the Scriptures.

Let's get back to where we started from on the prayer of forgiveness.

'And forgive us our trespasses...AS WE...forgive those who trespass against us'! (Matt 6:11)...AS WE...

Before Jesus died, He said to His disciples:

'I have yet many things to say unto you, BUT YE CANNOT BEAR THEM NOW.' (John 16:12)

You see, one of the Truths which Jesus deferred to tell the disciples was the Truth of ...PERFECT FORGIVENESS...as a result of His death on the cross! (read further before you call for my head)

He told them in the next verse:

'Howbeit when He, the SPIRIT OF TRUTH, is come, He will guide you into ALL TRUTH...' (John 16:13)

Now let us see how the Spirit of Truth taught us about the forgiveness of sins in the New covenant.

'...forgiving one another, EVEN AS God for Christ sake HATH FORGIVEN you'! (Eph 4:32)

Did you see that?

Before Jesus died, He said....'And forgive us....AS WE...forgive those who trespass against us'!

When the Spirit of Truth came, He said....'forgiving one another, EVEN AS God for Christ sake HATH FORGIVEN you'!

Wow!

The former teaches that....you should forgive others SO THAT God will forgive you....

The latter teaches that....you should forgive others BECAUSE God has forgiven you!

The reason you find it difficult to forgive is that you are yet to understand how much God has FORGIVEN you!

When you understand that on the day you became born again, God did not only forgive you of your past and present sins alone...but also your FUTURE sins (Col 2:13-14), you will begin to forgive others even before they offend you!!!

'We love....BECAUSE....HE first loved us'! (1john 4:19)

Do you believe He loves you unconditionally?

If yes, then you will be empowered to LOVE others unconditionally! (Luke 7:47).

Remain in His Grace.
blessed be the name of the lord.
The lords prayer was to be taught during the transitional period. Jesus taught it to the disciples because he had not yet gone to the cross to establish a new relationship in his name.
We can learn many things from the lords prayer, but now, we pray to the father in Jesus' name

John 16:19 Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me? 20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. 21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. 22 And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you. 23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. 24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. 25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. 26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: 27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

Jesus meant what he said. He was going to die, nd they would have sorrow, but then, he would ressurrect with a new covenant enacted with his blood in his name. That is why he said "in that day.."
He said hitherto, meaning up until now, you have not prayed in my name. Ask and you shall receive.
We pray to the father in Jesus' name. We do not even pray to Jesus, and Jesus does not pray to the father for us.

The lords prayer is not to be prayed now, though we learn a lot of princips from it.
Pray to the father in Jesus' name
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 30, 2013
Another argument that will end up with people throwing verses around.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 9:38am On Oct 30, 2013
@Joshthefirst,
We do not even know how to pray but the Holy Spirit enables us. The thing to note there is that Jesus said 'In this manner therefore pray', it is all about the manner of prayer for He put praise, honour & thanksgiving first before any other prayer and that is how Jesus often started His prayers. Jesus noted valid points for prayer there that we can emulate if we do not even say it as exactly as He said it there.

If anyone decides to pray exactly that way in today, there really is nothing wrong as well for all prayers are to be prayed in the name of Jesus.

We pray all manner of prayers to God Eph 6:18 and this is inclusive.

What I find so strange is where you said the prayer is not to be prayed now. Hmmmmm. Let us be careful with such words o.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 9:47am On Oct 30, 2013
Alwaystrue: @Joshthefirst,
We do not even know how to pray but the Holy Spirit enables us. The thing to note there is that Jesus said 'In this manner therefore pray', it is all about the manner of prayer for He put thanksgiving first before any other prayer and that is how Jesus often started His prayers. Jesus noted valid points for prayer there that we can emulate if we do not even say it as exactly as He said it there.

If anyone decides to pray exactly that way in today, there really is nothing wrong as well for all prayers are to be prayed in the name of Jesus.

We pray all manner of prayers to God Eph 6:18 and this is inclusive.

What I find so strange is where you said the prayer is not to be prayed now. Hmmmmm
ma'am. I believe as you said, that we have many principles to learn from the lords prayer, but in this day of his resurrection, I believe our prayers are adressed to the father in Jesus' name. The lords prayer was not in Jesus' name.
We now boldly stand before God through Christ Jesus. And we pray all of our prayers in his name. Indeed, we are to do all things and give all praise to the Father in Jesus' name
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 9:57am On Oct 30, 2013
I believe the scripture has guidelines for prayer.
John 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. 24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. 25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. 26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

Ephesians 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 9:59am On Oct 30, 2013
Reyginus: Another argument that will end up with people throwing verses around.
A discussion that will make us search the scriptures more, more like.

@Joshthefirst,
I understand your point.
The person bearing the name Jesus Himself gave us a manner of prayer to pray. So is the whole reason why that prayer is no more of relevance to you is because 'in Jesus name' is not there? Possibly you may not realise that that very manner of prayer is 'in Jesus name' already for it was Jesus that gave us that manner to pray. So anyone who wants to pray can as well finish it with 'in Jesus name I pray' to be rest assured then.
It seems you have brought a new angle to this o.

When I say God bless you, please believe it is in Jesus name, even if I did not add 'in Jesus name'.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 10:03am On Oct 30, 2013
We even speak in new tongues and perform signs in Jesus' name:

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Here's a prayer that was prayed (to God and answered by God) by the early church:

Acts 4:24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is: 25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things? 26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ. 27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, 28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done. 29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, 30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 10:05am On Oct 30, 2013
Alwaystrue:

@Joshthefirst,
I understand your point.
The person bearing the name Jesus Himself gave us a manner of prayer to pray. So is the whole reason why that prayer is no more of relevance to you is because 'in Jesus name' is not there? Possibly you may not realise that that very manner of prayer is 'in Jesus name' already for it was Jesus that gave us that manner to pray. So anyone who wants to pray can as well finish it with 'in Jesus name I pray' to be rest assured then.
It seems you have brought a new angle to this o.

When I say God bless you, please believe it is in Jesus name, even if I did not add 'in Jesus name'.
hmmmm.
But what about the lords prayer? When Jesus taught them that prayer, his name was not yet exalted.?
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 10:11am On Oct 30, 2013
Joshthefirst: hmmmm.
But what about the lords prayer? When Jesus taught them that prayer, his name was not yet exalted.?
You may as well say all Jesus said before He died is not relevant then using this same basis you are bringing.

Is that not why He also died partly to ratify the agreement and make valid His testament? I though we had discussed this before. Jesus was not speaking of Himself, all he said was direct from God. He is the Word of God
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 10:14am On Oct 30, 2013
Alwaystrue:
You may as well say all Jesus said before He died is not relevant then using this same basis you are bringing.

Is that not why He also died partly to ratify the agreement and make valid His testament? I though we had discussed this before. Jesus was not speaking of Himself, all he said was direct from God. He is the Word of God
yes he is the word of God...
But was the lords prayer part of the agreement he put forward between us and the father?
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Alwaystrue(f): 10:39am On Oct 30, 2013
Joshthefirst: yes he is the word of God...
But was the lords prayer part of the agreement he put forward between us and the father?
Jesus the Word of God testament was wholly enforced at His death but it did not limit His working while alive for He forgave sins even before He died. Matthew 9:6.

And the disciples used the name of Jesus even before His death. Luke 10:17.

So when Jesus tells us a manner to pray, do not think it is not relevant because 'in Jesus name' was not added for you are already praying through Jesus as a believer. When we pray in the Holy Spirit or we pray the word of God as a believer, we are praying in Jesus name. I really do not know how else to explain it to you.

1 Like

Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 10:41am On Oct 30, 2013
Alwaystrue:
Jesus the Word of God testament was wholly enforced at His death but it did not limit His working while alive for He forgave sins even before He died. Matthew 9:6.

And the disciples used the name of Jesus even before His death. Luke 10:17.

So when Jesus tells us a manner to pray, do not think it is not relevant because 'in Jesus name' was not added for you are already praying through Jesus as a believer. When we pray in the Holy Spirit or we pray the word of God as a believer, we are praying in Jesus name. I really do not know how else to explain it to you.
okay ma'm. Thanks
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 30, 2013
The Op is very much in error, The Lord's prayer is a PATTERN prayer.It is one of the Beatitudes( beautiful attitudes) of Jesus.

Principles outlined from the prayer is that the disciples really wanted to know How Jesus prayed to the Father.

Anytime Jesus prayed he always Prayed alone. The effect of his prayers are evident by the signs that followed His ministry,hence his disciples wanted to know the secret of His power.

They told Him,teach us to pray AS JOHN TAUGHT HIS DISCIPLES.This shows that they understood the mannerism of John's prayer and the pharisees attitude towards prayer.It is interesting to note that most of John disciples and the pharisees decamped to become Jesus DISCIPLES.

It also worthy of note that the pharisees never called God father.Jesus taught that. So the OP is using English gymnastics here. How can your father be far away from you in the first place. Jesus said we HAVE A FATHER IN HEAVEN which is true.

Even Jesus said our kingdom is not of this world so the OP is also in error to insinuate that only Paul gave us that understanding.

Concerning the issue of forgiveness Jesus said we should forgive people from the heart(Mat 18:35) and anyone we forgive their sins are forgiven

(John 20:23) another big error from the OP who wants to discredit Jesus ministry.

What we need to understand here is we do not need to memorize the lords prayer and recite it often. The lord's prayer is just a pattern prayer to the father as taught by our lord and saviour. The principled are already outlined.We know HOW to pray to the father.

The problem is since The promise of the father is not yet given to the disciples until the tarrying at pentecost. The disciples would not know what to pray for as they ought to (Romans 8:26).

After the disciples were filled with the Holy Ghost they now had boldness to pray because the Holy Spirit HIMSELF INTERCEDES WITH GROANINGS THAT CANNOT BE UTTERED IN ARTICULATE SPEECH. hallelujah!!!
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 30, 2013
Alwaystrue:
From experience it doesn't do that.
What it does has always being making the scripture appear loose and illogical.
It is not even a discussion in the first place.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by OMOILARE: 11:37am On Oct 30, 2013
The soul that sinneth shall die! God dosn't forgive future sins. The lord's prayer is just a prayer guide given by Jesus for Christians, but reciting it does not amount to being an unbeliever. Afterall most of the rubbish (Speaking in tongues) being ultered on the Altar in Churches is not in the Holy Bible.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by jayriginal: 11:48am On Oct 30, 2013
damilarelr:

No, but Ive never come across a verse in the New Testament after the resurrection of Jesus where any disciple of Christ swallowed eba either. Apparently, eba is not meant for believers either.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by shdemidemi(m): 12:07pm On Oct 30, 2013
The OP does have a point, only if we can peruse his assertions.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by shdemidemi(m): 12:21pm On Oct 30, 2013
OMO ILARE: The soul that sinneth shall die! God dosn't forgive future sins. The lord's prayer is just a prayer guide given by Jesus for Christians, but reciting it does not amount to being an unbeliever. Afterall most of the rubbish (Speaking in tongues) being ultered on the Altar in Churches is not in the Holy Bible.

Do you know of a soul that have not sinned?
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by shdemidemi(m): 12:38pm On Oct 30, 2013
Bidam:

(John 20:23) another big error from the OP who wants to discredit Jesus ministry.

Mr bidam, I don't think the OP is discrediting Jesus in any way from what was written up there. In the Holy scriptures, before Christ, it was the dispensation of the father. People don't say the ministry of Jesus (the son) discredit that of the father. But,as soon as you come to this dispensation of the Spirit, we become so emotional about the Jesus we knew in the flesh.

Bidam:

The problem is since The promise of the father is not yet given to the disciples until the tarrying at pentecost. The disciples would not know what to pray for as they ought to (Romans 8:26).

After the disciples were filled with the Holy Ghost they now had boldness to pray because the Holy Spirit HIMSELF INTERCEDES WITH GROANINGS THAT CANNOT BE UTTERED IN ARTICULATE SPEECH. hallelujah!! !

Bro, the scripture did not say what you re saying. Please take time to look at that Roman 8:26 properly, it does not say we are making utterances. It says the Spirit goes to plead on our behalf.

Romans 8:26
26 So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 30, 2013
OMO ILARE: The soul that sinneth shall die! God dosn't forgive future sins. The lord's prayer is just a prayer guide given by Jesus for Christians, but reciting it does not amount to being an unbeliever. Afterall most of the rubbish (Speaking in tongues) being ultered on the Altar in Churches is not in the Holy Bible.
pls do u read ur bible at all ...am just suprised dat their is sometin dis ignorant at this time...read d new covenant well God said deir sins ah will remember no more ,he didnt say past ,present or future .he meant all...
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 30, 2013
shdemidemi:

Mr bidam, I don't think the OP is discrediting Jesus in any way from what was written up there.
The OP did discredit Jesus by comparing it with the Pauline epistles. No one is getting emotional here oga. It is just to point out the errors the OP made.Here what Paul said:
(1 Timothy 6:3-4) "If any man teach otherwise, and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing,".

Bro, the scripture did not say what you re saying. Please take time to look at that Roman 8:26 properly, it does not say we are making utterances. It says the Spirit goes to plead on our behalf.

Romans 8:26
26 So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.
The scripture i quoted was literal without any personal interpretation to it.Recheck again.

Moreover the Holy spirit does not speak through thin air. He speaks through the lips of men.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2013
Alwaystrue:
cheesy The wise and enlightened thing to have done is to realise the scriptures beside the bolded was not for decoration:

John 1:1,14
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the WORD WAS GOD.
14 And the WORD WAS MADE FLESH, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld HIS GLORY, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,
) full of grace and truth.

Now that is wisdom divine.

I understand, its Nairaland afterall.

He could be called a God but not the almighty God. two Gods are mentioned there. one the word/begotten son while the other is a Father.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Joshthefirst(m): 3:23pm On Oct 30, 2013
JMAN05:

He could be called a God but not the almighty God. two Gods are mentioned there. one the word/begotten son while the other is a Father.
you're shooting yourself in the foot:

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 30, 2013
@op

that prayer is a pattern on how to pray not a recitation. that pattern is still in force.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 30, 2013
Joshthefirst: you're shooting yourself in the foot:

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

no. there is only ONE almighty God, but many gods. Jesus is included as a god. pls dont mind the capital letter i used for Jesus above. i had john1:1(kjv) in mind when writing. the word "God" is a title.
Re: "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers by shdemidemi(m): 3:30pm On Oct 30, 2013
Bidam: The OP did discredit Jesus by comparing it with the Pauline epistles. No one is getting emotional here oga. It is just to point out the errors the OP made.Here what Paul said:
(1 Timothy 6:3-4) "If any man teach otherwise, and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing,".

Why are you making it out like it's a competition between the words of Christ and the epistles of Paul. Just as the OP pointed out Jesus made preparations for the dispensation of the Holy Spirit that would come after Him. Paul did not come and speak his own word but he heralded the gospel of Christ.

Bidam:
Moreover the Holy spirit does not speak through thin air. He speaks through the lips of men..

Is that your own interpretation? If not, pls show us in the verse you quoted where it says we are the ones doing the talking. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christians In Jerusalem Want Jews To Stop Spitting On Them / Atheism: A Bold Representative Of Futility And Hopelessness. / Seun And His Fellow Atheist, What's Your Say On This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.