Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different (30753 Views)

Drama In Bail Hearing, As Lawyer Denies Metuh Tore Own Statement - Premium Times / Photos As Oduah Faces House Committee / Stella Oduah Armoured Car Scandal House Committee Hearing (2) – Live Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by yunglykmine(m): 4:23pm On Oct 30, 2013
Maduka Cosmos, whose Coscharis Motors sold the controversial armoured cars to a department of the Ministry Civil Aviation, has told the House of Representatives Committee on Aviation the matter that his company followed due process.

Mrs. Stella Oduah, the Minister who is implicated in the alleged fraud, is absent at the hearing, from which Premium Times is carrying live updates.

“Absence of the Minister is a slap on the face of the House,” said an angry Jerry Manwe, a member of the committee from Taraba State.  Last week, the committee gave Mrs. Oduah up till yesterday to appear before it, recognizing that she was away in Israel on official duty. 

“To the best of my knowledge, we followed all due process,” Coscharis said.  “We were interviewed by SSS.

We were interviewed by the National Security Adviser. Every due process by law was followed. We do business with morality.”

The Deputy Comptroller General of Customs, Manasa Daniel Jatau, has told the committee that Coscharis imported the cars without paying import duties because there was a waiver from the Ministry of Finance.  He added that Coscharis obtained the waiver claiming the armoured cars were part of 300 vehicles being imported for the Sports Festival in Lagos last year.  The impression given, therefore, was that the beneficiary of the waiver would be the government of Lagos State.

Get Liveblog Updates from PREMIUM. TIMES HERE

15:45

The cars inspected by the House committee yesterday, Tuesday, are different from the ones stated in the documents between NCAA and Coscharis, the reps said.

Lawmakers say they saw cars with different chassis number from those on the communication between NCAA and Coscharis.

But Coscharis said since it did not inspect the cars with the House members, it cannot say whether that was the car they delivered to NCAA. The firm insists it has done no wrong.

15:31

Coscharis admits telling the Ministry of Finance/NSA the cars were meant for Lagos state government, but said the arrangement was a usual “sponsor practice” for an event like the sports festival, and there was nothing wrong with that.

The company insists it did not lie. It said during events the company gives cars for use by government, in exchange for waivers that would be used for importing new ones as replacement.

With a lot of gusto, Coscharis said it price was right. But lawmakers have busted that claim by revealing that the firm sent different prices to NCAA and NSA.

Coscharis also claims the car in question goes for about N87 .7 million(factory price) without tax, shipping etc.

But a lawmaker has confirmed that he received a quotation from an American firm for the same car for about N42 million.

Jerry Manwe( a member): “Your own bullet proof is not manufactured in the moon”

Coscharis says a seven series in America is different with what they got from Europe.

Again, the committee said the cars they inspected yesterday are different9in terms of chassis number) from those stated in the documents between Coscharis and NCAA.

15: 07

Coscharis’ Maduka: To the best of my knowledge, we followed all due process. We were interviewed by SSS. We were interviewed by the National Security Adviser. Every due process by law was followed. “We do business with morality,” he says.

Another Coscharis official: Armoured cars are in levels; Level B7 is the highest for any civilian/VIP armoured cars. More than that is for military tanks.

Coscharis: The controversial cars are level B7. The BMW 760 series, bought by NCAA, goes for 418 thousand Euro from factory without shipping cost, taxes, etc.

Coscharis offers to demonstrate a powerpoint to show how it arrived at the cost. But is disallowed by committee.

Coscharis’ Maduka: “People have spoken, different media have written, I kept quiet. Nobody has called me to ask anything. But I thank God for this opportunity to state my own side of the story.”

“People have called me from US embassy to ask when did you start money laundering.”

He says the whole controversy is “politically motivated”. He pleads to be allowed to speak.

Mr Maduka said the matter is so important that his Uncle died and will be buried tomorrow, but he has to attend the sitting.

He said he is prepared to give details how Coscharis arrived at the price.

First Bank asked to step aside.

Coscharis takes over.

Coscharis chief, Cosmas Maduka, calls the car scandal “very controversial matter that has made newspaper headlines for two consecutive weeks” as he takes the hot seat.

First Bank cannot explain how the loan given to NCAA for all its 54 cars climbed from earlier stated N564 million to N643 million.

The bank claimed earlier that the difference was because the two armoured cars were not included-apparently untrue because of the cost.
Under questioning by the committee, the bank now says only the NCAA can explain the difference; the bank says it was only concerned about what the NCAA as a customer asked for.

“Our job as financier are based on what the customers are asking for”

Interaction with First Bank representative continues…

First Bank: The armoured BMWs were not part of the first order from NCAA which comprised mainly Land Cruisers totaling less than N600 million.
House chair, Nkiruka Onyejeocha: So could it be that the BMWs were an afterthought?

First Bank: That’s for the NCAA to answer.

“Absence of the minister is a slap on the face of the House,” Jerry Manwe, a member of the committee from Taraba state said, apparently angered by the minister’s absence.

First Bank official, Seyi Oyefeso, that oversaw the transaction addressed the House committee on behalf of the Executive Director of the bank.
First Bank was invited to make proposals alongside other banks and tender was opened publicly on 21 of May, 2013 in the presence of other banks and media

First Bank was afterwards shortlisted alongside 7 others.

First Bank granted a loan facility of N643 million for purchase of assorted cars.

The Customs representatives at the hearing said Coscharis lied to the Ministry of Finance and NSA, making them to believe that the cars were for Lagos state government, for the National Sports festival.

The NSA office issued End User certificate without knowing that it was doing so for cars to be delivered to Stella Oduah or the NCAA.

So, in a way, the NSA office is right to have told PREMIUM TIMES it did not issue end user certificate for any bullet proof cars for Minister Oduah and the NCAA.

Deputy Comptroller General of Customs, Manasa Daniel Jatau, said the following
The two cars were imported through Tin Can Port 2; Imported from Antwerp Netherlands.

The vehicles were cleared 19/6/2013.
Coscharis imported the cars without paying import duties since there was a waiver from the ministry of finance.
Coscharis obtained the waiver claiming the armoured cars were part of 300 vehicles imported for the Sports festival in Lagos last year, and therefore the beneficiary was Lagos state government.

The due import duty should have been N10.1 million.

The cars had an End User Certificate from the NSA office in the name of Coscharis.

The waiver obtained by Coscharis was for one year; as such the time of importation this year was covered.

Customs admit its laws requires that it enforces duty on any item for which waiver was obtained, which was not used for the purpose stated-in this case, for Sports festival.

Car dealers as well as end users of armoured cars are mandated to seek authorization from the office of the National Security Adviser, NSA, before ordering or importing such vehicles into Nigeria.

Last week, reliable sources at the office of the NSA told PREMIUM TIMES no authorization certificate was ever issued to either Minister Oduah or the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, to procure the controversial vehicles.

Nigerian Customs confirmed that the two cars were imported and cleared at Tin Can 2.

The Customs said the import duty on the two cars which should have been N10 million plus were not paid because there was a waiver note issued by the finance ministry.

Customs also confirmed there was an End User certificate issued by the office of the National Security Adviser, NSA.

The hearing, proposed to start at noon, started 25 minutes late. The minister is absent at the hearing. The committee said it will take a position on that later

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/embattled-stella-oduah-shuns-house-committee-hearing-cars-presented-committee-are-differen

2 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by yunglykmine(m): 4:33pm On Oct 30, 2013
One of the BMW hurriedly taken to the premises of the NCAA yesterday has a different chassis number.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/embattled-stella-oduah-shuns-house-committee-hearing-cars-presented-committee-are-differen

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 30, 2013
h
Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 30, 2013
It is said that the child does not know anything, but he claims he knows it all, without knowing that to know it all, is the beginning of doom.

7 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by waternogetenemy: 4:50pm On Oct 30, 2013
Another useless set of Reporters. Sahara Reporters and their Fake Reporting.

smh!

3 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by LMAyedun(m): 4:52pm On Oct 30, 2013
yunglykmine:
The Deputy Comptroller General of Customs, Manasa Daniel Jatau, has told the committee that Coscharis imported the cars without paying import duties because there was a waiver from the Ministry of Finance.  He added that Coscharis obtained the waiver claiming the armoured cars were part of 300 vehicles being imported for the Sports Festival in Lagos last year.  The impression given, therefore, was that the beneficiary of the waiver would be the government of Lagos State.
Hehe!!!
Lagos state gov't & Ministry of finance again?
Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by kelvin1191(m): 5:07pm On Oct 30, 2013
How i wish this country is called China by now all those involved in this fraud including the honourable minister, the custom, first bank officials etc would have been on their way to prison but in a country where corruption is celeberated and would rather jail some1 for stealing a handset for 15years i bet they will go scot free.

15 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by gurnam: 5:19pm On Oct 30, 2013
Interesting times are ahead......
Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by takedat(m): 5:21pm On Oct 30, 2013
I Say, I Say, I Say ....

This thing wey happen
Happen for my country
Na big big thing
First time in the whole world
If you hear the name, you go know
Government magic
Tell me the name now

[Chorus]
Government magic!
Them go dabaru everything
Them go turn green into white
Them go turn red into blue
Water dey go, water dey come
Water dey go, water dey come
Them go turn electric to candle
Them go turn electric to candle
Government magic
Government magic

Startling revelations I must say. We are being treated to daily dosage of corruption tablets and ridiculous Government magic to cover up their looting tracks. Cars presented by NCAA for inspection have different chassis number from ones in the document and Coscharis evaded tax, and also inflated the prices of the cars. Government officials and business men ripping Nigeria off, right, left and center! Thieves!

24 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by engrfcuksmtin(m): 5:27pm On Oct 30, 2013
So what will they do about the absence of the minister? Toothless dogs

5 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by LMAyedun(m): 5:50pm On Oct 30, 2013
engrfcuksmtin: So what will they do about the absence of the minister? Toothless dogs
Toothless dogs indeed!!
They can't/won't do anything... We all know they are birds of same feather.

Bunch of corrupt folks.

11 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by adconline(m): 6:09pm On Oct 30, 2013
Sorry to digress, 300 vehicles imported for sports festival? These must likely be BMWs since Coscharis does not sell "cheap" cars. How many were armored? Naija Can never be fixed! The rich and influential getting waiver while poor are being asked to sacrifice for a "better" Naija that can never come.
The rich took bank loans and got bailed out by AMCON, they got huge pay out from govt for oil they never delivered, when they got in trouble, AMCON bailed them out with people's money. What did the masses get in return? Hike in fuel prices!

67 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by braine(m): 6:12pm On Oct 30, 2013
This shows shows how deep corruption has eaten into our systerm! Chai! I give up• Nigeria can't be repaired shocked
Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by Polio: 6:19pm On Oct 30, 2013
I dont know whether to laugh, cry or just pretend as if i didnt read the above proceedings. shocked

5 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:23pm On Oct 30, 2013
Well done Sahara Reporters. You're the Wikileaks of Naija.

24 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by yunglykmine(m): 6:53pm On Oct 30, 2013
braine: Chai• I give up• shocked
I follow you give up oh!! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 30, 2013
Just grab a weed AND/OR alomo and forget Naija wahalas

2 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by madamoringo(f): 7:21pm On Oct 30, 2013
Basically, from the EVIDENCE and interrogations, several corruption allegations are CONFIRMED:

- Fraud by Odulah, cover-up and intent to criminally enrich and benefit herself
[size=18pt]- Fraud by NCAA
- Fraud by Cosmos Maduka
- Fraud by Okonjo Iweala (Finance waivers)
- Dishonesty and fraudulent intent by dodging import waivers of N 10 M, accruable to the FG and the country
- LIBEL AGAINST THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT, LYING THAT THE STATE ORDERED THE CARS![/size]

Oloriburuku oloshi ni awon omo nna yi, ogun lo ma pa gbogbo yin danu!! Imagine they lied ON LAGOS! (The only state that can honestly afford such things in Nigeria) grin grin

55 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by LMAyedun(m): 9:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
madam_oringo: Basically, from the EVIDENCE and interrogations, several corruption allegations are CONFIRMED:

- Fraud by Odulah, cover-up and intent to criminally enrich and benefit herself
[size=18pt]- Fraud by NCAA
- Fraud by Cosmos Maduka
- Fraud by Okonjo Iweala (Finance waivers)
- Dishonesty and fraudulent intent by dodging import waivers of N 10 M, accruable to the FG and the country
- LIBEL AGAINST THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT, LYING THAT THE STATE ORDERED THE CARS![/size]

Oloriburuku oloshi ni awon omo nna yi, ogun lo ma pa gbogbo yin danu!! Imagine they lied ON LAGOS! (The only state that can honestly afford such things in Nigeria) grin grin
See curse abeg!! shocked
LOL!!! grin

3 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by wordcat(m): 10:47pm On Oct 30, 2013
We all knw hw they end Aruma Otteh's probe,,,,

Same thing will happen d day Stella will show up in dat house.

I JUST DEY LAUGH.

1 Like

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by ballabriggs: 11:19pm On Oct 30, 2013
Can you all see that we seem to overestimate the level of intelligence of these people. Read Cosmas Maduka's statement and tell me that man is not mentally challenged.

He got a waiver for a particular event but then diverted the car for use elsewhere. To top it up, he does not seem to understand that he has confessed his being a criminal.

I tell you what, showing these people any form of respect is absolute stupidity. These people have no respect for our country and should be cursed for what they have turned this country to.

29 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 30, 2013
ballabriggs: Can you all see that we seem to overestimate the level of intelligence of these people. Read Cosmas Maduka's statement and tell me that man is not mentally challenged.

He got a waiver for a particular event but then diverted the car for use elsewhere. To top it up, he does not seem to understand that he has confessed his being a criminal.

I tell you what, showing these people any form of respect is absolute stupidity. These people have no respect for our country and should be cursed for what they have turned this country to.

who do you mean by "these people" ?
Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by jumobi1(m): 11:27pm On Oct 30, 2013
We are waiting for justice from the thieving NASS.
Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by alotofgrace(m): 11:57pm On Oct 30, 2013
interview everybody......even bmw maker in germany
Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 31, 2013
THIS WHOLE SAGA JUST HIGHLIGHTS THE DEEP CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA'S RULING CLASS!

2 Likes

Re: Oduah Shuns House Committee Hearing As Cars Presented Are Different by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 31, 2013
Coscharis admits telling the Ministry of Finance/NSA the cars were meant for Lagos state government, but said the arrangement was a usual “sponsor practice” for an event like the sports festival, and there was nothing wrong with that.

It was so funny I forgot to laugh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Prince Charles And Princess Diana In Nigeria (memories, Stories And Pictures) / Buhari Meets Chinese President, Xi Jinping (Photo) / Kachikwu: I Will Resign If Nigeria Continues To Import Petrol By 2019 (Throwback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.