Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

The Victim Of Circumstance - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Victim Of Circumstance (1400 Views)

Let The Thread Face The Cut! (between The Rapist And The Victim) / Writing A Novel On "Yarinya" The Daughter Of Circumstance / Accidental Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Victim Of Circumstance by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 7:26pm On Oct 30, 2013
This is off my blog.

"Next time you see somebody in need of help on the highway, think twice. Otherwise, you just might end up another victim of circumstance."

At the reception of the prison, John sat with rasp attention. But, had a blank stare at the visitor who was sitting before him.

"Are you ready?" The woman sitting opposite him asked.

"Yes, I'm." John replied.

"Ok, start at the count of 3." The woman replied.

"1, 2, 3"

My name is John Emeka and I've been a prisoner for the past four years. Before I became a prisoner, I was a banker whose salary was in the 6 figure range. I lived comfortably in one of the nicest location in the country. I had the best life could offer, and I really enjoyed life, but to a fault. I partied almost every night, and on weekends I partied overnight. I thought I'd arrived, I didn't think life was about partying, drinking and womanizing alone. But, I was of the opinion that there was no point in not living life to the fullest while one still can. However, I was wrong because everything calls for moderation and I'm sure that the person who invented the quote, "living life to the fullest" wouldn't have approved of living a reckless life which was the kind of life I lived.

It all started on the fifth of July four years ago. The day was a Friday, and as usual by 9 0'clock in the night I got to the club and minutes later I'd started with the clubbing. But, I was feeling somehow on that day, my interaction with people was on the low. I couldn't drink much, I only drank slightly above the legal alcohol limit allowed in the bloodstream of drivers. Normally, I drank thrice the legal alcohol limit which made the quantity I'd on the fifth of July normal in my bloodstream. By 11.30PM I decided to leave the club which was very unusual for me because on Fridays I always spent the night over and returned back to my home by 3AM the next morning. I left the club in my car by 11.40PM, and by 11.50PM I was on highway 99.

One thing about highway 99 is, by 11PM every night one could only see a handful of cars and one or two or no pedestrian at all. Towards 12PM, the highway was always as dry as a desert save for one's car and sometimes another night crawler either in a vehicle or just walking. I hadn't elapsed 3 minutes on highway 99 when I spotted a strange figure ahead with my car's full lights. At that point, I reduced my pace. When I got closer to the strange figure ahead by the roadside, it was the body of a woman, she was soaked in blood and was shaking. I stopped my car and wound down.

"Help Me." She muttered.

I didn't need anyone to tell me that she was in great pain. So, I got out of my car to help her since I couldn't just leave her to die on the highway. I carried her with her blood dripping over my clothes and I dropped her on the back-seat of my car to take her to the nearest hospital. She thanked me, and briefly explained how she was hit by an over speeding driver. She told me she managed to drag herself to the roadside and that two other vehicles had passed her but didn't wait to help. All along her explanation, she was barely audible and I noticed that the explanation was taking a toll on her. So, I asked her to keep quiet and I assured her that she was going to be alright.

Fifteen minutes later we got to the hospital, and she was rushed to the intensive care unit of the hospital. But, some minutes afterwards, one of the nurse that took her into the intensive care unit came out to announce her death. I was bereaved even though she was no relative of mine. Her death saddened me because she seemed innocent and I hate to see innocent people die just like that. While I was pacing around and blaming myself how her life could have been saved if I had gotten to the highway earlier, another hospital official came to tell me I needed to wait whilst the cop came around to get a statement from me. Exactly then was when it daunted on me that I was treading on slippery grounds. I'd been drinking all night, and I knew I'd gone above the legal alcohol limit and that could implicate me.

To be continued. . .
Re: The Victim Of Circumstance by Djtm(m): 8:54pm On Oct 30, 2013
Grabs popcorn, frontseat while sipping 501 404
Re: The Victim Of Circumstance by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 7:32am On Nov 01, 2013
Djtm: Grabs popcorn, frontseat while sipping 501 404
Longest time bro. How have you been?
Re: The Victim Of Circumstance by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 7:45am On Nov 01, 2013
I told the woman I was aware of the waiting and I'd no problem with it. I convinced myself that I didn't need to be scared since I did nothing wrong except drinking. So, I waited at the reception for the cops whom arrived about 45 minutes later. To cut the long story short, when the cops came, they asked me to follow them to their station to drop my statement which I obliged. When we got to the station, their previous friendly faces became very unfriendly. After I'd told them what I knew about the woman and what she told me, the cops questioned me about the smell of booze from my breath. There was no need for me to lie, so I told them the truth. But, they went ahead to do a test on me which I failed. I didn't fail the alcohol behavioural test but, I did fail the bloodstream alcohol limit test.

Once I failed the test, the cops had a propaganda that I must have hit the woman because I was drunk, and I only took her to the hospital for help due to guilty conscience. So, I was detained as a suspect. Few weeks later, trials started, and during the course of this, I found out that the lady I'd supposedly hit was a prosecutor. On the night of her demise, she had been working late at her office, and her car must have broken down when she was driving home at night. After which she probably decided to work home or get some help.

Well, by the end of the trials which I pleaded innocent all along, I was found guilty. And due to conflict of interest, I was sentenced to 15 years in prison with hard labour over a crime I didn't commit. My whole life shattered right in front of me, I'd only seen this kind of situation in movies. I'd never once thought that it could happen to someone in reality not to talk of happening to myself. During my trials, I thought the police force and the judicial system couldn't sentence an innocent man like me to jail, I thought they would do some investigation and in no time I would be a freeman. But, I was wrong. . . Someone told me that if I'd pleaded guilty that my sentencing would have been more lenient since I was a first time offender but, I couldn't lie on myself or plead guilty over a crime I didn't commit.

"That was my story." Said John.

"Thanks for your time, hopefully when we broadcast this, people would hear your story and help might come to you." Said the lady opposite John.

The woman opposite John Emeka was a journalist that worked with a broadcasting corporation. She contacted John few weeks earlier and told him that she had heard his story and would love to help him. She further stated that her name was Miss Juliana Simmons and that she was a journalist with RTWTV. At first John was hesitant but Juliana encouraged him. However, John never got how she became aware of his predicament.

*Emeka nodded his head in reply*

"ehm, before I leave. . .Mr John, what was your hesitation all about when I first contacted you?

"Miss Juliana, you see when you contacted me weeks ago about my story and how you believed in it. And that you were going to help, I didn't want to concede because I see this whole situation as a cross I've to bear. I believe that all those years I led a not so good life, I must have influenced one or two persons badly which had probably led to their detriment or still going to do so later. I think this is my punishment for all the wrongs that I have done. That I'm sorry for, and if I could turn back the hands of time, I'd probably sail a different sea. But, sadly I don't have that luxury."

"No, you can't blame yourself for the choices others make, you are just a victim of circumstance"
Re: The Victim Of Circumstance by Djtm(m): 7:53am On Nov 01, 2013
BOLAJIAJANI:
Longest time bro. How have you been?
I'm good bro. Jeeez, that took forever.
Re: The Victim Of Circumstance by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 10:29am On Nov 01, 2013
Djtm:
I'm good bro. Jeeez, that took forever.
Great! Don't mind me. grin

(1) (Reply)

Life As I Know It / Creeepy!!! / A Man's Stand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.