Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story (32489 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Karevwite: 9:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
Sammy Hoe: STORY MODE ACTIVATED grin grin grin
i jen2 dai wait.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
STORY MODE ACTIVATED... grin grin grin
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
Karev_wite: i jen2 dai wait.
Ah!! my Oga at d top u neva sleep. Okay now, let me dedicate the evening post to you cheesy smiley wink
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
KAREV_WITE this is for Y kissU
After Henry’s departure, Ted walked slowly to the bullies. Seemed he had been in connivance with them from the onset to get Henry deceived. They gathered round him, stretching their palms towards him, but this time it seemed they were not asking for an autograph.
“The money,” they demanded and Ted tucked his right hand inside his pocket, brought out some money and delivered it into the waiting hand of one of them. At this time the autograph signed by Henry was no more on their palms. They had all got rid of them by scrubbing their palms together, having spat little saliva into them for easy erasure of the unwanted autographs.
Susie smiled, having got the mystery solved. She had it settled in her mind that Ted had colluded with those guys to get Henry deceived. She had to rush down to her class in order not to be late for the test.
Ted later came demanding for his bet from Susie. She refused giving it to him, letting him know that he had achieved the feat in a dishonest manner. To make Ted agree to the non-remittance of the wager, Susie threatened to blackmail him. Ted had to forgo the money for good, since he wouldn’t want to lose Henry, whom he had paid dearly for, to earn his friendship.
Susie was going to coerce Ted into telling Henry her feelings towards him. Henry was adamant. He never listened to Ted, telling him that he had aversion towards the opposite gender, using his sister as an example.
“I’m not interested in girls,” Henry had said. In a short moment his keenness with Ted had become full-blown. Susie was jealous, having been chasing after Henry right from the first month on campus, but had never been once considered by Henry.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 23, 2013
Susie felt that by intensifying her threats towards Ted, much pressure would be mounted upon him to as well intensify the talks concerning her before Henry, believing that one day Henry was going to change his orientation toward her, but it seemed she was making a mistake. Henry was willful still.
Susie began to blackmail Ted, receiving some paltry sums of cash from him often. Ted had no option then than to give them to her, to avoid losing his friend. All of a sudden Ted was fed up, but not until Susie had bilked him to bankruptcy. He told Susie to go ahead and tell Henry about it and she never hesitated to do such. Surprisingly, Henry was not a bit perturbed by the news. He only confronted Ted to confirm the authenticity of the news and Ted unequivocally admitted that Susie’s observation was the truth. Thereafter Henry didn’t take any step whatsoever to end the relationship with Ted. Instead his abhorrence for Susie congealed from that moment, on the ground that she had swindled Ted, his new friend often.
Susie was sad that she had made a fool of herself by reporting the case to Ted, who could have been the only hope of bringing her into a chummy relationship with Henry. Realizing her mistake, she later went to Ted secretly to apologize, yet she never restored all the cash she had extorted from him since Ted never asked her for that.
It went on that way between Henry and Susie until two years later (the day Henry had the hug with her in the rain) when she finally had his favor, but Henry had already begun to cast his eyes at Cynthia before then.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:17am On Nov 23, 2013
Good dai awz. I might have a busy day today, so I decide to post these early updates. Pls read and speak out your minds...thanks to you all for being there for me.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:22am On Nov 23, 2013
I'll make five updates right away, to be dedicated the first five people that commented on this thread. The first update goes to...
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:36am On Nov 23, 2013
...LEEBLISS13...he followed my first completed naira land story and followed me here also.
Thanks a ton Leebliss13 for following and Happy Birthday in arrears.

Ted’s quest for geniuses on campus had also led him to a bully called Julius. Ted had misconstrued the macho man for a genius, having heard friends and foes call him ‘Genius’. He never knew that the senior student had only acquired such name by bullying on some weaker ones. Julius had asked to be called by such name and they had to give it to him to avoid his avoidable troubles.
Ted, being a first-year student then, had approached Julius to ask for his hands in friendship, but the guy had treated him badly.
“What level are you?” asked Julius cruelly as he grabbed Ted’s scruff forcibly.
“A first year student,” Ted spoke in a shaky tone.
“First year!” exclaimed Julius, expressing shock. He had counted it a discourteous attitude for a first year student to walk up to someone like him, a final-year student. He would have him disgraced.
“I’ll teach you how to respect your seniors,” Julius had said, shoving him away and winking concurrently to his followers. As if under the influence of a remote control, they descended on Ted, beating him blue-black and getting rid of his trousers, but leaving him with his underwear, at least to let him have something to still make do with. However, they went away with his pocket money, pulling out the inner part of his pocket.
Ted since then had kept an eye on the rogue, Julius, waiting eagerly for an opportunity to revenge. Going by the look of things then such opportunity might not come and therefore Ted might need to wait for long in vain. But Ted’s hope came alive suddenly when the dean, Professor Wilson, had him initiated into magic, having made the man his friend when he got to know that he was a genius.
When Julius was graduating, he was preparing to receive an award for the hip-hop music he’d entertained the audience with (having sang in the graduation ceremony). He mounted the podium to receive his award from Professor Wilson’s hands, but something unbelievable happened. As he opened his mouth for a smile, his teeth, all of them, were discovered missing. Despite the disgusting sight, many still held up their cameras to take a view of the toothless bully. Ted’s doing!
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:39am On Nov 23, 2013
And the second goes to...
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:52am On Nov 23, 2013
...Sugarbabe kemi@... the first female to comment on this thread...thanks a lot for lending me your v shocked ice

Henry was engrossed in the taxing work that he had just been endowed with by the Professor. Fear mingled with horror at a gargantuan extent, had possibly thrust him into some ineffable actions for seven days. Having set everything apart, he had focused on the dean’s arduous task assiduously, though not trusting in his ability to write an award-winning synopsis for the dean. While at work only one thought sometimes crossed his mind—Susie, not Cynthia this time. Since having a clinch with Susie in the rain, Henry had developed a secret affection for her, though not yet made known to her.
Henry had considered perusing the whole textbook a suicidal manifestation. He made up his mind not to open them at all. From the knowledge he had already acquired in the past on Nuclear Physics, Henry wrote the synopsis. He had had much cognition of the subject, Nuclear Physics, earlier in life. Thanks to the library he had made his ‘next of kin’ those times.
Henry was through with it after seven days, but he waited till the eighth day to get it across to the dean, for fear of being snubbed by him, believing that a nineteen-year old boy of his kind cannot write out what was going to be award-winning amidst the intelligentsias across the globe.
On getting to the lecture room, he saw his photographs with mates, made a cynosure. In them he was carrying twelve huge textbooks, the Professor’s own.
“Hi Henry, bookworm,” he was taunted by a girl, who had burst into laughter. Another said, “I’m pretty sure you’ve got the content of these books inside your puny brain,” pushing Henry’s forehead roughly with a finger. Henry was abashed. He had felt like applying his yet unproved magical power on them immediately, but he declined.
Susie came closer, still conceiving a guilty conscience.
“I got you into these. I’m sorry,” she whispered.
“Never mind Susie,’ replied Henry in a very polite manner, which had sent her smiling secretly, believing that she’d got him at last after about two years and a month of trials and errors to get his attention.
On the marker board was written an implicating statement about Henry. He read it silently and the look on his face was that of dejection:

Henry needs Cynthia badly. He will do anything to get her. Yes, things like carrying myriads of books in his hands—just to impress her that he’s such a genius.

Still looking at the board in anger, Henry felt a hand on his shoulder. Looking back, he discovered it was Pete, Cynthia’s boyfriend. The boy smirked and said, “Young chap, you think you can have her love by this—impossible? She’s no braniac-freak.”
Pete was loud-mouthed, but seeming to be the most easily cowed. He was a timid type who could even be intimidated by a tomboy, or any lady who wished to scare him. All such one would need do was to pose a threat at him. Pete had joined the school basketball team so that he could receive a level of protection from his teammates, who had helped him out of troubles at one time or the other.
Henry said in annoyance, “Who’re you talking about?” as if he didn’t know. The boy replied, “Cynthia. She’s going to stick with sportsman—like me. She’ll kick your ar*se.”
Though Henry’s care for Cynthia was no more wholesome, the urge to have her by all means so as to silence Pete who had been bragging all the while came upon Henry immediately in a gush.
“I’ll sure get her one day,” Henry had thought, “but not with magic,” he had added.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:54am On Nov 23, 2013
And the third goes to...
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 3:07am On Nov 23, 2013
...Ritababe, the second female to comment on the thread. She is really a source of encouragement.

CHAPTER SEVEN
THE PROFESSOR’S AWARD
“Henry!” the man shouted. Henry’s buttocks were glued to his seat. “Are you saying that this can earn me the award?” The Professor waved the write up before his face.
“I don’t know,” responded Henry, anticipating something worse.
“Well, I shall go through it today. I’ll get across to you—at night.”
“At night?” Henry yelled, “Hope not through the mirror.” Henry’s reaction depicted that he was possibly eisoptrophobic, but in the actual sense he wasn’t. Perhaps, he was just scared of the magical mirror in particular, which could even be illuminating at night when put to use.
“Where else?” said the dean, not intending to ask a question, but was letting him know that he was bent on using the mirror. “You think I’m going to want to burn my credit unnecessarily on telephone calls when I’ve got my mirror—charge free—and every other benefit attached to it. Listen, if you don’t use it you don’t get wiser. Have you ever proved your magic at all?” the man asked inquisitively.
“No sir.” Henry’s face glowered. “… and I don’t think I’ll use it at all.”
“Why?”
“’Cause I don’t see the need.”
The Professor smirked and said, “You’ll sure use it…someday.”
“Why d’you think so?”
“Because Professor Wilson Gee say so,” said the dean, beating his chest in an egoistic manner.
“I won’t—” replied Henry, “because I said I won’t,” he added in a mimetic style.
“You’ve got goat-like characters indeed—stubborn.”
“Can I take my leave,” Henry had said rudely.
“Sure, if you want to,” the dean had replied, “Got no business with you till after the presentation of the seminar.”
Few days later, early in the morning, the indispensable urge to look at the mirror came upon Henry again. Henry picked up an ordinary mirror at first.
“Not this,” said Henry, quickly dropping it carefully to go for the magical one. His heart missed a beat on seeing the dean’s image in it.
“What’s he up to again?” Henry had thought.
“Shocked!” the laterally inverted image of the dean had said. “You’re thinking of what I’m up to again.”
“What!” Henry exclaimed. “How d’you know that’s what’s on my mind? Does the magic include mind-synching?”
“Sure. While looking into the mirror you’ve got the benefit of reading the mind of the other fellow in an unmistakable and precise manner—something that the psychologist cannot do.”
“Really!”
“Henry,” said the man going straight to the point, “I’ve obtained a flight ticket for you. We’re flying together to Washington today. Guess what, we’re going to the venue of the Seminar Presentation together, this morning. Meet me at the Port of Los Angeles presently.”
“Must I come with you?” said Henry out of panic. “I don’t deem it necessary.”
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 3:13am On Nov 23, 2013
And the fourth post is unarguably for a guy who came from the moon, in the person of
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 3:24am On Nov 23, 2013
...Mcmooney, who also followed my 1st stori till d end. Thanks 4 comin down from d moon 2join us on ds planet cheesy grin (just joking o)

Henry was afraid that the man would vent his anger on him if he eventually did not come out the winner of the presentation, so he had felt that avoiding him would be the solution. The return flight would be full of reprimands, if the dean lost the award.
“I’ve bought the flight ticket already—you have my word,” the dean said, and in a moment, he was off.
Henry, being left alone still staring at his mirror in awe, was able to view the reflection his face. It was glum. Having no choice, Henry had to prepare to meet the dean. But he was going to visit the school library first, to return some of the borrowed books he had got with him. After taking a cup of coffee Henry left the apartment to get a cab that would transport him to the library. Henry saw the poster of the dean, placed side by side with that of Einstein, pasted on many suitable places around the school. It seemed both geniuses (Albert Einstein and Professor Wilson) were performing the same action in them—clicking their skulls. Henry moved very close to one of those amazing pictures with great interest. He read the statement on the poster:
THE DEAN OF THE PRESTIGIOUS CALIFORNIA CITY UNIVERSITY IS PRESENTING A SEMINAR TODAY, ON NUCLEAR PHYSICS. IS HE A MATCH FOR ALBERT EINSTEIN THE GENIUS? LET’S WATCH IF HE’S GOING TO EMERGE THE WINNER OF THE GLOBAL SEMINAR PRESENTATION.”
No one knew who had put those posters there. They just crowded around them, making silly remarks about them in a hilarious manner. The dean had seen it too, but himself was amazed, never remembering having taken any picture in the ‘skull-clicking’ pose like the one in the poster. But seeing it, Henry’s mind flashed back to his first encounter with the dean in his office, when he was bragging and clicking his skull subconsciously as he prided himself on being wiser than Albert Einstein, in Henry’s presence then.
“Someone must have snapped him then,” thought Henry, calling back to memory the flashes of light he’d seen then, coming from the window.”
Henry soon joined the Professor in the Airport. The plane arrived after some moments of waiting patiently. The two were not silent all through the flight period. They were busy all the while discussing, since their seats were abutting each other.
The dean said, “Young man, have you been to the campus this morning—before coming to the airport?”
“Y-Yes,” said Henry, already speculating what the lecturer had intended to do with the question. As conjectured by Henry, Professor Wilson said further, “I’m definitely sure you saw those pictures of myself and Einstein put side by side.”
“I saw them. What about them?”
“Who did that?”
“I don’t know, “Henry said. “All I know is I didn’t do it.” Henry had quickly uttered such to get himself out of the trouble he was insinuating.
“That fellow must be a silly plonker!” the dean had yelled. “Henry, d’you know the implication of the statement he’d written along with the picture? If I don’t win the award then I’m not a match for Einstein—that’s the implication.” The dean resumed his speech. “But…that’s not philosophically true.”
Henry never uttered a word. His chin was leaning on his right palm, probably, engrossed in thought.
“Dude, If I lay my hands on him I’ll sure tear him apart. I’m quite sure he’s going to be expelled from the CCUL,” said the dean frankly. He spoke on as Henry remained speechless beside him, like an android, which had been asked to keep shut.
“I don’t even know when the picture was taken. I’ve never posed myself that way in any of my photographs. Checked through them yesterday and never came across any as such,” the dean murmured continuously.
“I think I know when it was taken,” said Henry suddenly and the dean gripped the collar of his silky shirt immediately, demanding impatiently when it was.
“The first day I stepped into your office, while you were telling me about your ability, which, according to you, surpasses that of Albert Einstein,”
The dean, having remembered, said, “Then who snapped me?” Henry saw it as an opportunity to get the dean to tell him what the seventh question was all about. He was going to use diplomacy to get it.
“Promise me you’ll remind me of the seventh question if I tell you.”
“I will,” agreed the dean impetuously.
“Sincerely I don’t know who…but, I saw flashes of light coming from the window. I’m sure the photographer was standing behind the window then. So… the seventh question,” Henry demanded. “At least I’ve told you all I know—about the incident.”
“Sincerely I don’t know the last question—I’ve forgotten it too,” said the dean uproariously. “I’ll be a fool if I tell you that, when you didn’t provide an answer to my own question too.” “But will you tell me if I eventually find out and tell you who was behind the picture?”
“Sure,” the man had agreed.
“It’s a deal,” Henry had said.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by bosslife850: 4:53am On Nov 23, 2013
I'm 26 a smart average body, good looking, fun guy, a final year student of electrical electronics engineering.
I'm a simple person so i hate drama i love to travel hangout with friends cook listen to music watch movies and i love the internet.
I am here to date a with a woman older than me because they are more understanding caring and matured.
If you know you are above 32 and you would like to hangout with me please do not hesitate to contact me, do not be shy okay. Please you should go straight to the point when contacting okay.
You can call text or add me on bbm... 08065099377, 08167950172, 21CAD793.. Any location in Nigeria.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Karevwite: 6:07am On Nov 23, 2013
Sammy Hoe: KAREV_WITE this is for Y kissU
After Henry’s departure, Ted walked slowly to the bullies. Seemed he had been in connivance with them from the onset to get Henry deceived. They gathered round him, stretching their palms towards him, but this time it seemed they were not asking for an autograph.
“The money,” they demanded and Ted tucked his right hand inside his pocket, brought out some money and delivered it into the waiting hand of one of them. At this time the autograph signed by Henry was no more on their palms. They had all got rid of them by scrubbing their palms together, having spat little saliva into them for easy erasure of the unwanted autographs.
Susie smiled, having got the mystery solved. She had it settled in her mind that Ted had colluded with those guys to get Henry deceived. She had to rush down to her class in order not to be late for the test.
Ted later came demanding for his bet from Susie. She refused giving it to him, letting him know that he had achieved the feat in a dishonest manner. To make Ted agree to the non-remittance of the wager, Susie threatened to blackmail him. Ted had to forgo the money for good, since he wouldn’t want to lose Henry, whom he had paid dearly for, to earn his friendship.
Susie was going to coerce Ted into telling Henry her feelings towards him. Henry was adamant. He never listened to Ted, telling him that he had aversion towards the opposite gender, using his sister as an example.
“I’m not interested in girls,” Henry had said. In a short moment his keenness with Ted had become full-blown. Susie was jealous, having been chasing after Henry right from the first month on campus, but had never been once considered by Henry.
tnx a bunch sammie
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Sugarbabekemi(f): 6:37am On Nov 23, 2013
kiss tnks sammy, I remain loyal wink
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 23, 2013
And finally, my fifth post goes to...
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
...Damex333, a friend and a co-author, who stuck to my first story on Nairaland all thru. Thanks a lot Damex33(3) grin

The plane soon touched down. A taxicab was already waiting to pick up the professor.
“Sir, are you Professor Wilson Gee,” said the taxi driver and the dean said, “Yes.” The man noticed Henry and said, “Is he your kid?”
“Yeah, my kid,’ the dean said, but the driver had got one more question for Henry, “What’s your name?” “Henry White,” said Henry, but his answer seemed not sufficient to satisfy the dean, who said immediately, “Henry Gee, not Henry White.” Nevertheless, they got into car and it sped off.
Henry thought he’d known something; that the dean would stop saying “Henry Gee,” as soon as he had lost out in the seminar presentation. Henry was instantly lost in thought:
“He’ll say, ‘Henry White, you’re not going back home with me. You’d better find your way back to campus yourself.’ I’ll say, ‘Sir I’ve got no airfare’ but he’ll say, ‘I don’t care’. I’ll say, ‘Sir… but you brought me here for God’s sake. Is this how you want to have me punished?’ He’ll say angrily, ‘This isn’t punishment. Be sure I’ve got stacks of punishments, real ones, waiting for you on campus. Be sure I’ll see to it that you don’t graduate Summa Cum Laude from the CCUL.’
“I’ll say, ‘But why? I think I said it then that I’m not capable of writing for you an award-winning synopsis. I’m a teenager for God’s sake.’ He’ll say, ‘Shut up there! Collins the youngest Professor in history was only nineteen when he became a professor. Ain’t you nineteen too—so what’s it you’re saying that you’re not capable of…?”
Henry screamed suddenly, “I’m not Collins for Christ’s sake—got my own destiny to fulfill!” He soon became aware of what had happened. Henry had just let out a scream, a product of the ‘He’ll-say-I’ll-say’ imagination he’d occupied his addled brain with.
“Henry, are you all right at all?” the dean barked. “I don’t think so?” he had added in disagreement to Henry’s head movement. “You yelled like that just because I tapped you to inform you that we’ve got to our destination? You’ll sure tell me who that Collins of yours is.” While the man spoke, Henry kept mute, but that doesn’t make the dean stop talking. Instead, the man became more persistent.
“Are you dreaming or what…or did I call you Collins?”
“I’m very sorry. I’d been in a reverie,” Henry had pleaded, intending to make him keep calm. “I’m very very sorry,” he said again, as if two adjoining “veries” would do instead of one to placate the dean.
It’s alright,” said the dean. “Let’s alight.”
Henry’s heart missed a beat.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Ishilove: 5:46am On Nov 24, 2013
Sammy Hoe= Patrick Ohobiagbon cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Sangarara: 6:37am On Nov 24, 2013
Space booked, will be following this to the end.

2 Likes

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 24, 2013
Ishilove: Sammy Hoe= Patrick Ohobiagbon cheesy grin
I don repent o grin cheesy. In fact, to show my genuine repentance, I'll dedicate my next post to you.

2 Likes

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Study4christ: 8:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
In as much as you ride on; network can't even stop me from reading. wink
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 24, 2013
Study4christ: In as much as you ride on; network can't even stop me from reading. wink
Let me ride on then >>>
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 25, 2013
I am dedicating this one to our aunties at the top who gave me the toughest time on Naira land for abusing English. However, I fought them like a lion but then I lost out eventually because 'a lion is not greater than the jungle now wink

However I promised to repent by leaving dictionary outta my life for a while...and...thank God I was able to do that; this story is da evidence-no big grammars in it grin

To be tacit, I'm dedicating ma updates to the three big aunties on Nairaland...

Ishil winkve, winkmolola and Rep winkgirl...my unique critics...you deserve more than this accolade...

The presentations were broadcast worldwide. After all the hustle and bustle of the day, Professor Wilson was eventually announced the gold medal award winner to Henry’s amazement. He was given a check instantly, bearing a large amount of cash. The silver medal went to Professor Teddy Brown from England, while the Bronze medal honor was for Professor Kofi Johnson of Africa (who was a Ghanaian, known to Henry in Gyrus). Henry’s joy knew no bound on hearing his dean’s name called as the number one. Seeing Henry when the judge was about to announce the winners earlier, one would have clearly perceived that Henry was more under pressure than any of the contenders—even the dean. Henry had felt that somebody from bigger Universities such as Harvard or Oxford would have carried the day. He had almost collapsed when the judge was announcing it:
“And the winner is professor…” the speaker had paused deliberately, maybe, to increase the blood pressure of every one in the large auditorium.
As expected, the spectators had said “Professor what?” and the judge had finally said, “Professor Wilson Gee from the University of California…here in the US.” Then shouts of joy, which might have possibly been adulterated by some immeasurable amounts of contumelious moans by the unsatisfied ones, had filled the air. Seemed Henry’s voice was the loudest. He had screamed, “I did it!” to the hearing of people around him, jumping and leaping triumphantly, but the poor boy had received a sharp query from one of them.
“ You did what?” asked a black man who was sitting next to him, while many others were staring at him too.
“Em…Em,” Henry stammered, knowing that there was nothing he had to say.
“Young man, you’re just fooling around here in a corner, yelling for someone who never knows who you are,” another man had said, and yet another said, “You’d better not let the Professor hear that you said you did what he did. A dream that can never be accomplished, that’s what you’ve got. He’ll sue you.” She was a young lady.
Not able to swallow the shame, Henry had sneaked away from their presence to another place.The presentations were broadcast worldwide. After all the hustle and bustle of the day, Professor Wilson was eventually announced the gold medal award winner to Henry’s amazement. He was given a check instantly, bearing a large amount of cash. The silver medal went to Professor Teddy Brown from England, while the Bronze medal honor was for Professor Kofi Johnson of Africa (who was a Ghanaian, known to Henry in Gyrus). Henry’s joy knew no bound on hearing his dean’s name called as the number one. Seeing Henry when the judge was about to announce the winners earlier, one would have clearly perceive that Henry was more under pressure than any of the contenders—even the dean. Henry had felt that somebody from bigger Universities such as Harvard or Oxford would have carried the day. He had almost collapsed when the judge was announcing it:
“And the winner is professor…” the speaker had paused deliberately, maybe, to increase the blood pressure of every one in the large auditorium.
As expected, the spectators had said “Professor what?” and the judge had finally said, “Professor Wilson Gee from the University of California…here in the US.” Then shouts of joy, which might have possibly been adulterated by some immeasurable amounts of contumelious moans by the unsatisfied ones, had filled the air. Seemed Henry’s voice was the loudest. He had screamed, “I did it!” to the hearing of people around him, jumping and leaping triumphantly, but the poor boy had received a sharp query from one of them.
“ You did what?” asked a black man who was sitting next to him, while many others were staring at him too.
“Em…Em,” Henry stammered, knowing that there was nothing he had to say.
“Young man, you’re just fooling around here in a corner, yelling for someone who never knows who you are,” another man had said, and yet another said, “You’d better not let the Professor hear that you said you did what he did. A dream that can never be accomplished, that’s what you’ve got. He’ll sue you.” She was a young lady.
Not able to swallow the shame, Henry had sneaked away from their presence to another place.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 25, 2013
A limousine pulled up the next day in front of the motel they had lodged in overnight. It was an entirely different vehicle this time, from the one that had transported them to the presentation venue. The limousine pulled up at the Seattle Tacoma International Airport, from where they took their flight back to California.
Aboard the plane, they spoke again:
“Henry Gee, I’m so proud of you. I’m sorry I’ve got no time with you yesterday, due to my frailty…you know…after times of sleepless nights.
“No thanks Prof., you did it,” said Henry, but the man said, “We did it!” instead, then he added excitedly, “Got an open check for you.”
“What’s it sir?”
“Ask anything from me till the one-third of the cash prize,” said the dean. Just as if he knew what Henry can do the man quickly modified his words by saying, “But don’t ask what I can’t do.” A kind of emotional expression of elation explicitly elevated Henry’s mood on hearing the dean’s statements, so he asked promptly, “The seventh question…and the answer.”
“I can’t tell you that Henry.”
“I thought you’ve just said that I should ask you anything,” Henry frowned.
“Yeah, but I said—don’t ask me what I can’t do. To get the seventh question you have my condition already—to get me the photographer,” said the dean, smiling.
“Well—I’ll sure find that out—very soon,” Henry had resolved.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by TeddyJonathan(m): 6:37am On Nov 26, 2013
Sammy,you are the genius not henry...

1 Like

Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
Henry was silent again, but the dean had to remind him of the open check. “You’ve not asked me what you want me to do for you?” the dean had said, but Henry had replied, “First thing first…I need the seventh question. Maybe I’ll think of what to ask after that.”
“It’s okay,” the Professor had said, and in a short moment he was dozing off unconsciously beside the wondering boy.

On arriving the Campus the man was made the centre of attraction, having become the cynosure of all eyes. Everyone was chanting and ranting, willing to touch the dean, who himself was waving proudly at them. The reporters and journalists too had been waiting patiently for his arrival. They made movement very difficult for him in attempts to get his voice down. The school security personnel had fought relentlessly too, to get rid of the mob on him, but no way. They had attempted to pull Henry away from him, who was glad to be the closest person to the dean, walking hand in hand with him. The man, having noticed that the security men were trying to get Henry away from him, had suddenly held on to Henry firmly, perhaps to let Henry have the feeling that he was not through with him yet.
“Professor Wilson Genius,” they had shouted. Some gave him several snapshots. “Professor of Professors,” they applauded.
Among the jostling throng Henry spotted Cynthia waving happily towards his direction too, and suddenly it appeared to Henry as if she was the only one he was seeing right before him. Their eyes came in contact and Henry gave her a friendly wink, but she only reciprocated with a look of scorn, leaving the scene immediately.
The pestering crowd forced some words out of the Professor’s mouth:
“You can take the medal if you can persistently step on the pedal by consistently hardworking and insistently believing that you’ll make it,” the Professor spoke out. It seemed the Professor had painstakingly memorized the witty speech he’d just spoken out before now. “Professor Wilson Genius, can you briefly tell us what had led to this great achievement of yours?” asked an eager female journalist.
“Well, it’s hard-work, nothing more. I’ve been working hard for many years, always keeping awake when everybody on earth is sleeping,” the dean had boasted, then he added, “Whoever you are, you can become a genius overnight—through hardworking.”
“Professor, some of your students had said that you’ve got the ability to make a genius out of people, just as you did to this boy standing with you here,” continued the female Journalist. Her teeth were not a little scattered inside their abode, as if some earthquakes that had taken place long ago in her mouth had been responsible for it.
“Yeah—it’s not possible for a person to make friendship with a genius without himself becoming a genius—that’s the situation here,” the dean had said.
At last the two achievers, Professor Wilson and Henry, entered the dean’s office. What they met was another surprise: the photograph of the geniuses—Einstein and Wilson. But this time Henry was in it too, carrying a dozen of textbooks. On this particular one was written:
“And this guy too; He is a match for the Professor and Einstein.”
Seeing it, the Professor shouted, “Heeeeeenry!” and the boy replied with fear, “I didn’t do it!”
“I’ll shoot you dead immediately if you give me that,” said the dean, pointing out two fingers at him, disbelieving his confession. Henry feared that some bullets were going to come out from those fingers, having visualized the possibility of such speculated occurrence as it had occurred in a Hollywood blockbuster movie he had watched of recent.
“Believe me, I didn’t” Henry said in fright.
“Who then is it?” the Professor said incredulously. “Answer me—uh.”
“How can it be me?” said Henry. “How on earth did I put this thing here while we were both in Washington together?” The dean guffawed at his word. Then he said, “Didn’t you come around to the school premises this morning? I’m sure you’ve done that before coming to meet me in the airport.”
“I came around quite alright, but the only place I visited was the library, to return some books—not your office,” the boy voiced out with a ruffled face. “Besides, I don’t have the key to your office, so there’s no way I could have gained entrance into it. I’m no sneak thief.”
Smiling, the dean said, “But you do have the magic. Perhaps you used it—to open the lock.”
“Not me,” said Henry on hearing the word ‘magic’, in a way that could make one believe that Henry would never have anything to do with witchcraft. “I’ve not used the magic for once.” The two kept silent.
Henry was the one who made the change to the silent ambiance by the words he spoke, “Sir, give me a short time and I’ll discover the one behind this.” One hearing this, the dean stopped pointing at him. Then Henry developed the gut to say, “Your fingers—have you got some magic in them too—to gun me down?” It elicited hilarity from the dean’s mouth. Amidst the laughter the man said, “Just to scare you dudes, there’s no such power as to possess bullets inside fingers.” Nevertheless, Henry said in his mind, “What about those mortal combatants in my computer game?”
“Once and for all, Henry, thanks for the award-winning synopsis you wrote—for me,” said the dean, and Henry had replied, “You’re welcome” but his heart was saying, “Why didn’t you say so in the public for all to hear?”
Later Henry said, “Can I take my leave—now?”
“Not until you’ve received something from me, for the award…”
“Until I’ve known who pasted them everywhere I won’t get anything from you,” said Henry, pointing to the strange poster on the wall.
Coming as an afterthought Henry said, “I’ve got a question to ask.” Having received a gesture from the dean Henry said, “You said something’ll happen to me if you didn’t win the award. What was it?”
The dean denied it unscrupulously.
“I can’t remember saying such.”
“You said that,” Henry said wonderingly. “I remember vividly how you had said it. You said, Just go through ’em all, prepare for me an award-winning synopsis. Seven days to do this Henry, else…”
The man was prompted to say, “Oh, I can remember now. But Henry how were you able to preserve the exact words I used that day? Or, is it your magnetic brain doing it for you?”
Henry made a piteous reply, “It’s because those words were threats to me. They kept on ringing in my brain from the moment you uttered them to the time you got the award yesterday.”
The dean felt sorry for Henry and made it known to him by saying, “I’m sorry for putting you through such horrible experience.” Then he answered Henry’s question slyly by saying, “Nothing was the something that was going to happen to you if I hadn’t won the award—is that okay?”
“I can’t admit that,” Henry said. “Sir, can you remember the day I said ‘nobody’ was the ‘somebody’ I told about our meeting, you refused to accept it?”
The man’s countenance fell, not knowing what to say. The dean’s condition offered Henry the opportunity to say, “Sir, I won’t leave here except you tell m—else…”
The dean had perceived the boy was going to keep to his resolution, so he had cleverly said, “I never want you to hear this, but, I’m now left with no option other than to tell you.”
“What’s it?” said Henry curiously.
“I’ve spent forty-four good years in this planet and won forty prominent laurels—including the Nobel Prize, but I was still unfulfilled…”
“Why?” barged in Henry.
“Because I’d not won the Professor award yet. So to be fulfilled in life I’d asked you to write the thesis for me.” What the dean was professing was true, but that was not the ‘else’ Henry had demanded.
“Do you mean if you hadn’t won it yesterday, you won’t win it anymore for the rest of your life?”
“Exactly,” the dean had said.
“Why d’you feel so?”
“My inner magical spirit had told me that. Henry, as soon as you joined the cult, I felt it that the synopsis which would bring me the award wouldn’t come from any one other than you. To get you to write the damn thing for me I had to put you in a state whereby you wouldn’t have a choice than to write it. Therefore, I made the mystery that had led you into it—your trouble with Susie.”
To Henry it was far more than trouble. The dean had ensured his friendship with Susie.
“I still have nine more things to achieve,” the dean said further and Henry was shocked.
“So—you mean you’ll be stopping at fifty awards, even if you will be living up hundred years?”
“Exactly,” the dean said. Instantly then, the man was desiring Henry’s exit in such a manner as if he had got some secrets to keep away from the boy.
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
At this juncture I want to make roll call to know who are still in da house and those who aren't. pls when you hear your name you quote and answer present:

Leebliss13

Karev_wite

Damex333

Ritababe

Study 4 Christ
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sangarara
Sugarbabe kemi@

Teddy Jonathan

Michaellegend
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by christejames(m): 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2013
Still following...
Re: Everybody Is A Genius- A US Based Story by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 26, 2013
christe james: Still following...
Waoo!!! why did I forget to put down your name in d roll? As a compensation I'm gonna dedicate a post to you this night.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

My Village Prince And I / A Must Read-letter From Abraham Lincoln To His Son’s Teacher / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.