Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse (16565 Views)

Can A Non Muslim Use The Prayer Mat? / An Islamic View on Solar and Lunar Eclipse / Shortening The Prayer During A Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by AbdH: 8:49am On Oct 31, 2013
starts 11am GMT...
The prayers for a lunar eclipse and a solar eclipse is the same. It’s important to pray this in congregation, although praying alone is permissible too. The importance is because the Prophet (peace be upon him) instructed us to remember Allah and invoke Allah during this time, and this was also a time when the Prophet (peace be upon him) was afraid of what was to come.

Narrated `Abdullah bin `Amr : “When the sun eclipsed in the lifetime of Allah’s Apostle an announcement was made that a prayer was to be offered in congregation.” [Bukhari, 2.155]

Hadith about the eclipse prayer: Narrated `Aisha: (the wife of the Prophet (p.b.u.h) In the lifetime of the Prophet the sun eclipsed and he went to the Mosque and the people aligned behind him. He said the Takbir (starting the prayer) and prolonged the recitation (from the Qur’an) and then said Takbir and performed a prolonged bowing; then he (lifted his head and) said, “Sami allahu liman hamidah” (Allah heard him who sent his praises to Him). He then did not prostrate but stood up and recited a prolonged recitation which was shorter than the first recitation. He again said Takbir and then bowed a prolonged bowing but shorter than the first one and then said, “Sami`a l-lahu Lyman hamidah Rabbana walak-lhamd, (Allah heard him who sent his praises to Him. O our Sustainer! All the praises are for You)” and then prostrated and did the same in the second rak`a; thus he completed four bowing and four prostrations. The sun (eclipse) had cleared before he finished the prayer. (After the prayer) he stood up, glorified and praised Allah as He deserved and then said, “The sun and the moon are two of the signs of Allah. They do not eclipse because of the death or the life (i.e. birth) of someone. When you see them make haste for the prayer.”

Narrated Az-Zuhri: I said to ‘Urwa, “When the sun eclipsed at Medina your brother (`Abdullah bin Az-Zubair) offered only a two-rak`at prayer like that of the morning (Fajr) prayer.” ‘Ursa replied, “Yes, for he missed the Prophet’s tradition (concerning this matter).” [Bukhari, 2.156]

Narrated `Abdullah bin `Amr When the sun eclipsed in the lifetime of Allah’s Apostle and an announcement was made that the prayer was to be held in congregation. The Prophet performed two bowing in one rak`a. Then he stood up and performed two bowing in one rak`a. Then he sat down and finished the prayer; and by then the (eclipse) had cleared `Aisha said, “I had never performed such a long prostration.” [Bukhari, 2.160]

Culled from the Facebook page of 'I'm a Muslim & I'm proud.'

8 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by deols(f): 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
Summary- Two rakaah of prayer when the eclipse happens.

3 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by AbdH: 6:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
deols: Summary- Two rakaah of prayer when the eclipse happens.

smiley
deols: Summary- Two rakaah of prayer when the eclipse happens.

Yes
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Mustay(m): 8:26am On Nov 01, 2013
Good!!! Jazakhullah khairan!

Am quite busy but I was going to open a new thread for this and ask one of the regulars to post about it; am glad someone has.

Please, deols let this get to FP so our Muslim ummah here that aren't aware of their obligations when this event occurs can know about this!

As we are aware of this: https://www.nairaland.com/1497507/solar-eclipse-occurs-3rd-november

Kusoof, or solar eclipse, is the partial or total cutting off of the sun's light when the moon comes between it and the earth. People used to associate this unusual phenomenon with some superstitious reason. It happened that the sun eclipsed on the day the Prophet's son Ibrahim died in Madinah, so some people attributed that to his death. Hence, the Prophet took the opportunity to correct the people's mistaken notion about the solar eclipse.

The Prophet ordered someone to announce “as-salatu jami`ah,” that is that Prayer is to be convened in public. When people gathered, he led them in Prayer after which he stated: "The solar or lunar eclipse is only a sign of Allah. They do not take place for the death or life of anybody. Whenever you see them, hasten to the Prayer." (Reported by Muslim)

Salat al-kusoof (solar eclipse Prayer) is sunnah mu’akkadah (confirmed sunnah) for both male and female believers. It is better to offer it congregationally in the mosque. Its time is from the beginning of the eclipse till it clears away. There is no adhan for the Prayer, but it should be announced, as stated earlier, with “as-salatu jami`ah.”

According to the hadith, narrated by `A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her), salat al-kusoof is two rak`ahs; however, the worshiper bows twice in each rak`ah instead of once.

In the first rak`ah, after al-Fatihah, one recites a long or short surah. One then says “allahu akbar” and bows down in a long bowing. As one rises up, one says: “sami` Allahu liman hamidah, rabbana lakal-hamd.”

One then says “Allahu akbar” and bows down a second time but not so long. As one rises up one says, “sami` Allahu liman hamidah, rabbana lakal-hamd.”

As one resumes standing straight, one says “allahu akbar” and then falls down in prostration. One begins the second rak`ah by saying “allahu akbar” The second rak`ah should be observed like the first one. After the Prayer, the imam may give a guiding sermon.

Salat al-khusoof (lunar eclipse Prayer) is the same as salatal-kusoof (solar eclipse Prayer). The recital of al-Fatihah may be performed aloud or silently.

The Muslim reaction to lunar and solar eclipses can be summarized as follows:

1. Solar and lunar eclipses are reminders of the Day of Judgment, when the sun, moon, and stars will all lose their light. [When the sight is dazed, and the moon is buried in darkness, and the sun and moon are joined together: Man will say on that day, ‘Where is the refuge?’] (Al-Qiyamah 75: 7-10)

2. Being a reminder of the Last Day, the eclipse is a time for Prayer, charitable acts, and generally remembering Allah and seeking His forgiveness.

3. To believe that heavenly bodies (sun, moon, planets, stars) have power over events and people’s fates and fortunes is to reject Allah by ascribing partners to Him. [And among His Signs are the night and the day, the sun and the moon. Prostrate neither to the sun nor to the moon, but prostrate to Allah who created them, if it is truly Him you worship.] (Fussilat 41: 37) Thus, one cannot worship God by worshiping creation—whether the devotions are offered to nature, heavenly bodies, idols, or human beings. The worship of something or someone created in whatever form, Muslims consider to be an underlying error of many groups active in the UK, from pagans, Druids and New Age cultures (for whom the eclipse is a sacred event) to the numerous Christian denominations. The popular but false, empty faith in astrology, so widespread in the popular press, is also condemned in Islam. Islam teaches people to constantly turn to the Source of all events: Allah.

SalatAl-Kusoof(The Eclipse Prayer)

Ruling: Most of the people of knowledge regard it as a confirmed sunnah (mu’akkadah). Imam Abu Hanifah said it was obligatory (wajib), while imam Malik regarded it as equal to salat al-jumu`ah (Friday Prayer) in importance.

Form: The eclipse Prayer consists of two rak`ahs. Various forms of the rak`ahs have been narrated, but the most authentic hadiths indicate that each rak`ahhas two standings (qiyam), two instances of recitation from the Qur’an (qira’ah), two bowings (ruku`), and two prostrations (sujud). This is the view of the majority of the people of knowledge, including Imams Malik, Shafi`i, and Ahmad. The number of ruku` in each rak`ah has also been narrated as three, four, or more; the Hanafi scholars prefer only one ruku`, just as for the daily Prayers. However, the most authentic hadiths support the majority view, given above.

Congregation: The sunnah is for the Prayer to be held in congregation in the mosque, although individuals who cannot reach the congregation may pray alone. Women may pray at home or attend the congregation.

Khutbah (sermon): The imam gives this after the congregational Prayer, based on the admonition of the Messenger of Allah, part of which is quoted at the beginning of this article. The sermon is recommended according to Imam ash-Shafi`i and the majority of the other imams of Hadith, while the Hanafi scholars say that the sermon is not part of the Eclipse Prayer. They regard the Prophet’s admonition as a general reminder and not a formal sermon. If delivered, the sermon should contain praise of Allah, the two testimonies of faith, and reminders about Paradise and the Fire.

Timing: The time for the Eclipse Prayer lasts throughout the eclipse. The Prayer must be started during the eclipse, although it can end after the eclipse is over. The sermon is delivered after the Prayer, whether or not the eclipse is still in progress. After the eclipse, the requirement and time for the Prayer no longer exists and therefore it is invalid to pray salatal-kusoof outside the time of the eclipse. Imams Abu Hanifah and Ahmad have stipulated that the Eclipse Prayer cannot be held during times when Prayer is normally reprehensible, i.e., when the sun is rising or setting over the horizon, or when it reaches its zenith. Other imams say that the recommendation of the Eclipse Prayer takes precedence over these discouraged times.

Length: The Eclipse Prayer should be longer than normal daily, weekly, or annual Prayers. The Eclipse Prayer performed by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was extremely long: it started soon after the beginning of the eclipse and ended after the eclipse was over. His Prayer included four instances of recitation from the Qur’an, with the first and longest of them being reckoned as “about as lengthy as surat al-Baqarah.” Further, the qiyam, ruku` and sujud were described as longer than any others seen performed by him. However, the imam should as always bear in mind the capabilities of his congregation, and the Prayer should not be prolonged excessively for the old and weak amongst them.

There is no requirement to prolong the Prayer throughout the eclipse, nor to pray extra rak`ahs. The two-rak`ahs Prayer is made as long as is reasonable, and the remainder of the eclipse is spent in supplication, general mention and remembrance of Allah (including recitation of the Qur’an), and giving charity.

Detailed Description of the Prayer

1. There is no Adhan or Iqamah for the Prayer, although the Prayer can be announced by calling, “As-Salatu Jami`ah” (“The congregation is gathering for Prayer”).

2. The imam begins the Prayer with takbir, as usual, followed by recitation of Surat Al-Fatihah and one or more further surahs. The recitation can be loud (majority view) or silent.

3. The imam does ruku` with takbir, as usual.

4. The imam rises from ruku` saying "Sami` Allahu liman hamidah," followed by the usual dhikr.

5. Remaining in the standing posture, the imam again recites Surat Al-Fatihah and one or more other surahs.

6. The imam goes into ruku` with takbir.

7. The imam rises from ruku` saying “Sami` Allahu liman hamidah,” followed by the usual dhikr.

8. The imam performs the two prostrations as usual, except that the prostrations should be lengthy, as should be the sitting between them.

9. The imam rises for the second rak`ah, which is performed in the same manner as the first.

10. Hence there are a total of four of each of the following: standing straight (with recitation), bowing down, and prostrating. The sunnah is for each standing straight, bowing down, and prostration to be shorter than the previous one.

Culled from IslamOInline

3 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by ToyosiR(f): 2:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
Jazaakumullahu Khairan Jazaa.

2 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by BabaEleko(m): 3:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
It's so beautiful how the Quran is able to cover all aspects of mankind. Islam is truly a divine religion. Allahu Akbar!!

8 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Willgates(m): 3:40pm On Nov 01, 2013
angry
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by 0monnakoda: 3:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
I say the following without any disrespect at all.
I often hear many muslims say the Prophet did A and so I must do A. I believe often this does not have to be the case. The fact that he performed a certain procedure during a certain eclipse does not mean ALL MUSLIMS MUST do the same procedure during ALL Eclipses. One example I see is this practice of wearing short trousers or garments several inches shy of the ground. There is an element of colonialisation in this approach.
The prophet was an Arab who lived in the desert I don't see the sense in wearing short trousers in cold countries

Back to the eclipse issue. Without disputing anything can anyone explain why it is necessary to follow a certain procedure EVERYTIME there is an ECLIPSE.
WHY is this necessary?
Is there any benefit,what?
Any disadvantage,what?
Many people introduce a lot of superstitious practises into Islam which seems like some form of idolatry

5 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
Prayer for eclipse again? Lol. Okay o. Pray on!
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by mariong(m): 3:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
All i can say is; thank goodness for science, i have no reason to be apprehensive.

3 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by pmc01(m): 3:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
Jazakallaahukhairan
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by adexsimply(m): 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
I see
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Gifted4all(m): 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
whats dis write up all abt?jst do d needful
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
Seriously people it is time you started thinking for yourselves rather than following religious teaching blindly. I doubt if most people have ever asked themselves what if what they believe in is not completely true? Without sounding like I am against religion I really think it time we started thinking and stop following teachings blinding even when common sense tells us that it is not true. The funny part is that those that introduced the so called religion to us have chosen a different path and our case as become that of someone that came to console the bereaved turned out to cry more than the bereaved.

As per the prayers I hope it does what you guys expect in return.

2 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by RealAlfranco: 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
You guys observe eclipse too?? Monday should be declared public holiday then!!! I'm dying for anoda public holiday now!!!
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Tonylyte(m): 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2013
If we do all ths, wil peace be returned to northern? If yes and guarranteed, then am gonna do the prayer, nt minding if it is against my faith, as long as peace is returning to nothern nigeria. Insha allah.
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by israel007: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hmm na wa
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by pfijacobs(m): 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2013
Leave dm alone n dnt judge.. Got a question tho.. Can a muslim gurl n a xtian guy in love marry?
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
Prayer for Eclipse... SMH
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by freecocoa(f): 4:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
Why does one need to pray about eclipse? I no even understand.

3 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by zeemad: 4:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
oh i love islam as it covers all aspects of human life

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
woodcook: Seriously people it is time you started thinking for yourselves rather than following religious teaching blindly. I doubt if most people have ever asked themselves what if what they believe in is not completely true? Without sounding like I am against religion I really think it time we started thinking and stop following teachings blinding even when common sense tells us that it is not true. The funny part is that those that introduced the so called religion to us have chosen a different part and our case as become to that of someone that came to console the bereaved turned out to cry more than the bereaved.

As per the prayers I hope it does what you guys expect in return.
Let them worship what thet love to.

2 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Iaz93: 4:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
HUH? for real?!
Prayer for Eclipse? Ecliptical prayer gringrin
Science has really given us sense. If not...
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Buddydogg(m): 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
mtcheeew weitn b ma own.
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by xynerise: 4:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
You guys should also pray for those that will be sacrifice in the interior villages for the sake of calming the Gods of the sun's anger.

Reminds me of Apocalypto grin

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Dhortunn(m): 4:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by joeboy4reel(m): 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
cryyou have to pray so the sun would not fall na #dodges slap from broda Ahmed#

7 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by EejaNla01(m): 4:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
Some people are just angry on this tread for no just logical reason,you can see it in d posts.

Eclipse just a sign from GOD,natn bad in praising him At that moment and all times.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Men Praying At Home Without Excuse / Do Sins Of Parents Have Any Effect On Their Children? / Boko-Haram Is Not An Islamic Organisation – Babangida Aliyu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.