Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers (21529 Views)

A Ritualist Sent Me A Facebook Friend Request (scary pics) / How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers / An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by TONYE001(m): 3:53pm On Oct 31, 2013
The worst is MTN's 33117!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Okijajuju1(m): 3:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
Text messages I can Tolerate.

GLO!!

I keep recieving calls and messages from this number; 5471895411... angry

I cant seem to get it to stop!!

Sometimes, I recieve as much as 5 calls and 2 texts from this number and the text messages are useless. E.G I got your number from a mutual friend.

Like WTF!
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Lilimax(f): 3:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
ogoplus: So annoying especially when you are expecting a SALARY ALERT !
grin
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by jydux(m): 4:01pm On Oct 31, 2013
la-effizy:
lipsrsealed So u feel mtn is worse? U havnt met glo yet. They can send u 10 messages a day. Then those annoying calls to advertise like 10 a day. Then they even flash me with one funny 6 digit number. Some times I feel like smashing my phone against d wall.

Using a glo line sure can make one feel like smashing one's fone on the concrete. I only used glo for abt 4days a couple of years ago and it was an awful experience to say the least. These days, I get inundated with messages on stuff I have no interest in by etisalat and mtn. And d msgs always seem to arrive when u are expecting sometin important.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Reference(m): 4:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
geeez: Well I don't receive those messages though I know a friend who has been complaining bitterly

I was told by my account officer that my monthly usage is high and excludes me. Whatever that means

I think information is key and I crave for those messages

Your life could be better for it you know

Even when I see a flier tucked under my windshield, I pick it and read

You never know

Yeah. This might be true. The more airtime you buy the less the disturbance. Recieve a few, twice or thrice a week but twenty a day . That's ridiculous.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
Bolt2011: You were probably expecting a romantic text message from your lover, a credit alert from your bank, an invitation to a job interview or test, and the likes but then your phone beeps and the excitement dies down immediately you open the message. It is unfortunately one of those disappointing messages we receive from our telecommunication service providers. They are either asking you to subscribe to jokes, health tips, caller tunes, sport news or romantic texts.

If these service providers could only sample the opinion of subscribers, they would probably discover that most people find these messages very disappointing and annoying, but then we receive as many as 6 to 10 of such messages daily. Some people have carelessly or erroneously subscribed for these so called 'value added services' and usually regret they did. Daily, weekly or monthly charges of up to N50 or N100 usually apply. Sometimes they are deducted anytime the subscriber recharges. People try all they could to unsubscribe, but its usually not as easy as the almost automatic manner of subscription. My dad was a victim of this exploitative service for about 3 months. We tried to no avail to get him unsubscribed until he got angry and called the customer care agent threatening to attack them with his traditional god (sango). grin

I use two sims cards (MTN and etisalat) but as you would expect, MTN sends the highest number of annoying messages. I delete them immediately I read 'MTN' and wished I could do something to stop the disturbance.
How do you feel when you receive one of those messages from your telecom service providers? Do you find them disturbing or necessary? What's your opinion?

I have made front page again o #dancingSkelEtighAzonto grin

Thank you Jesus
Thank you Daddy
Thank you Mummy
Thank you Friends and Well-wishers
Thank you Seun Osewa
Thank you Moderator
Thanks to all nairalander
I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
i dnt tink NCC really knws there work.
ddd
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by fpeter(f): 4:04pm On Oct 31, 2013
God saved me from GLO's 8888 messages cry
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by ifyalways(f): 4:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
I think Glo's the worst offender. They call with all sorts of short codes.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Dogzimalon: 4:09pm On Oct 31, 2013
Bros this thing have gotten out of hand ooo.got a message and i was excited thinking it was an alert for monthly salary,what i got was that i am one of the winners of sms Qoranic quotes nah wah oooo who told them that am a Muslim.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by kelEmi(m): 4:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
I remember early this year when I won the MTN Foundation's scholarship which is what's #200,000... and they said they'll pay SOON... for over two months MTN frustrated me with their messages cause whenever I got a message from them my heart go de throw stunts as if e de Olympics, only for me to see their crazy messages... I almost get high bp self na God save me cos then I de so broke ehn... the day them even pay me I no even know cos I no gree check the message until after school and no be them even send alert e say them Don pay, na my bank send me and I de there de kill myself over MTN messages..

1 Like

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Allenkee: 4:16pm On Oct 31, 2013
JUST IMAGINE THAT MOMENT YOU WERE EXPECTING EXPO SMS IN AN EXAM HALL AND YOUR PHONE FINALLY RANG 5 MINUTES TO SUMMITION.
YOU QUICKLY ARRANGE YOURSELF STYLISHLY AND SECRETLY SO AS TO COPY THE PREPARED ANSWER, ONLY FOR YOU TO CHECK AND SEE

Airtel NG
Fortune could change today! Stand a chance to win N1 million in the RED HOT promo. Simply recharge your Airtel line. Check your entries by sending POINTS to 565.
RUBBISH

2 Likes

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Eneze1(f): 4:22pm On Oct 31, 2013
it is more annoying when you are expecting a credit alert kai
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by otipoju(m): 4:23pm On Oct 31, 2013
I feel your pains . It is as if the order of the day among telcos is to see who can steal the most money from customers account under different guises... I can tell you authoritatively that some of these Value Added Services were not activated by customers and for others there are no known deactivation codes...I was thinking of telling a journalist friend to do an editorial about it cause I know many poor Nigerians are suffering from this corporate greed. I know Nigerians sha when they have had enough, they will make their voice heard.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Bolt2011(m): 4:24pm On Oct 31, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
the funnest of all was the one i received this morning, i have to pray (i was expecting a mssge from one company) b4 i open the message, what i saw was etisalat message asking me to subscribe for one useless joke

Eeyah, sorry bro. God will bring your expectation to pass
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by sauceEEP(m): 4:24pm On Oct 31, 2013
i always recieve funny messages from easynet that goes like this; a man flogged his 5yr old daughter to death because of bedwetting, then they will instruct you to click one useless link for more news. Its so annoying, sometimes i feel like smashing my phone cos of that but i can't.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by mfm04622: 4:28pm On Oct 31, 2013
Shimao: The situation is really terrible and drove me nuts. Searched for an app to block these messages but could not find one that was truly free and made for the Nigerian environment. So I decided to develop one. It's called Spam Trap and it's now available in BlackBerry app world and Google Play for FREE.

Just download and install. that's all. It blocks messages based on numbers and content. It determines your network and suggest spam numbers and content to you on your network. Just accept the suggestions. It also has the ability to sense potential spam messages from numbers not yet listed and keeps you updated on new spam sources based on your settings. More still, it gives you protection across all networks, switch your network and your spam database will be updated so that as long as you are within Nigeria's 923,768 sq km, you are protected.

It's already gone through beta testing and very stable. Download now and thank me later. It's free and incredibly simple to use.

Works on BlackBerry OS 5 and above and on Android 2.33 and above.

When you download, please do not forget to review. Thanks.
I have checked out the app. Why does it need access to my contact and full Internet access to work?
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 31, 2013
Sometimes, I feel like shooting through the phone. There was a day I wanted to pay my school fees, that day was the official deadline, I called home, n my dad said I was going to receive an alert soon..

I placed my phone on the table like a baby, removing anything that could block service. Sat on my bed looking at the phone expecting an alert, it remained like 10hrs to the deadline. I started dozing off!

In a mo' my phone beeped.. Wow! I started thanking God. Singing, dancing, happy. I took my ATM card n headed to the campus. I removed the phone, wanted to call my dad that I've seen it. I saw that I haven't read the message. I opened it just to read "Dear valued subscriber, ...................... to download Sexy Mama by Wizkid ft Iyanya"..

Yeeee! Arrgghh! cry I noticed something like smoke coming outta my head.. I felt angry, my muscles stood. I immediately called the customer care, a guy picked it. I swear give him, warned them to remove my number from the list they send messages to. I just dey curse the guy.. angry I felt so irritated, I smashed the phone on the floor, took it, arranged it back.

I was about to cry wen I received anoda alert, this time it was what I've been expecting. My warning didn't stop dem to send unwanted messages to my line till now..

3 Likes

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by desosa(m): 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
" Facebook till you drop"......I got dis silly msg frm dem..... Very annoying
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by ddjay: 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2013
ncc has not done enitin since establishment,it d competition among d service providers dat brought d regulation and checks
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
I thot i was d only 1 in dis situation, i delet immediatly i see dt its 4m d network.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by kooto(m): 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
Yes, this their messages are very annoying; and can be frustrating atimes because it wakes you up at odd hours to tell you things like subscribe for beauty tips, can you imagine.
I wonder if this is how they send these messages to the senators, those of the house of reps etc?
I wish there is a way to stop this for those who hate it.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by kambili999(f): 4:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
Lovetinz: My annoying-sms elimination strategy.

1st second: Beep beep!
2nd second: I identify message as junk
3rd second: I press 'Delete'
4th second: I continue what the sms interrupted.
exactly
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Shimao(m): 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2013
mfm04622:
I have checked out the app. Why does it need access to my contact and full Internet access to work?

The app allows you block texts from your contacts also, hence the need to access the contact list, then it needs the internet to suggest spam numbers and update the spam database to keep you protected, just like a typical antivirus would.

It does NOT collect any personal data, so you have nothing to fear.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by omon24(m): 5:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
Glo has bcom so jobles dat they have time to send me somtin like this; we ve bn observing that u hav refused to subscribe to our data!! Very annoyin, i wil always tel dem to keep observing, wen they ar tired they wil stop. Bodyguard network without pay, una go soon they observe evry step wey i dey take and even dey watch ova me wen i dey sleep.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:23pm On Oct 31, 2013
Deen4me: I had to Chuck my Econet,Zain,Airtel sim because of this angry

i now use the line as in a tracker

It was very annoying , you get like 20 sms per day

Globacom is second in line to this also

Glo? Dont even mention them, I wouldn't know where to start!
Sending all manner of sms from data bundle packages, to Job Advert, music concert, gossips, history, premier league scores! I just dont get it. And lets not forget the phone calls- 30803, 34001, 547, 448, 0448 and the most annoying 4040 at all times of the day and NIGHT!
Its an INTRUSION on my Life!!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by MeGaStReEt: 5:26pm On Oct 31, 2013
BigBelleControl: The most annoying one is the that from glo. Imagine they sent me messages several times that I have received a credit bonus of N0.00. I cursed them each time i received it.

I swear Glo useless.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by Twinmama(f): 5:31pm On Oct 31, 2013
Etisalat is worstest of them all. If u check your balance, they reply you with 3 sms.
GLO is annoying, they will send sms & wen u open to read it goes. ''u av bee credited with 0:00'' early in the morning, infact na dem go get zero for their life.
MTN, imagine a Rev. Sis like, telling me to subscribe for Skelewu
pls warn them b4 i use cross swear for them. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by leoxben1(m): 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2013
hahahahahahahhaa,,,,, guy na tru u talk. den even make me, i no dey wan read original messages again, thinking its from dem.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by GentleMimi: 5:47pm On Oct 31, 2013
Hahahahahaahaaaa! Funny thread. The most annoying is MTN,wif that their useless mssg that starts wif ''congratulations,you have won 7 free health tips...blahblahblah! Kai. The first day i got that text mssg,i was tempted to commit murder.
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by bejeria101(m): 5:54pm On Oct 31, 2013
prof800: It is so annoying...
2 years ago a friend of mine was about to take a legal action against one of these service providers...
...Not until i made him check their "terms and conditions" which he had already accepted just by cutting and inserting the sim card.
**(the number you call yours is not really yours...it still belongs to the network service providers. So what right have you to complain about what's not really yours?)**
you bought the sim with ur money,why would dey invade ur privacy,mine is minimal
Re: Annoying Messages Sent By Telecom Service Providers by alfredo4u(m): 6:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
When will I make headline God. Seun its my turn to make headline.

My mates r making it I'm here commenting.

ASUU y?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Flash Upgrade And Install A Blackberry Operating System / Screenshot And Post Your Data Usage In The Month Of June / How To Check Balance On Airtel Night Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.