Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% (879 Views)

Share Android Software Related Problems Here And Get Them Solved. / Samsung Now Sells One Million Devices Per Day Also Leads Market Share. / Market Share of Nigerian Mobile Phone Companes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by caukerzee(m): 6:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
The new estimations of smartphone shipments are out and once again they prove to be good news for Samsung and Android, but they also look like trouble for BlackBerry. BlackBerry has been having trouble finding customers recently, and even though it is on the path to privatization, it is still looking into selling the company, or part of it, in order to stop the bleeding.

According to ABI Research, 438 million handsets and 244 million smartphones shipped during the 3rd quarter of 2013. Samsung's share of the smartphone market grew to 35%, while Apple saw its share stay level at 14%. On the platform numbers, BlackBerry is down to its lowest point at just 1.5% of worldwide shipments. 

According to ABI Research, 438 million handsets and 244 million smartphones shipped during the 3rd quarter of 2013. Samsung's share of the smartphone market grew to 35%, while Apple saw its share stay level at 14%. On the platform numbers, BlackBerry is down to its lowest point at just 1.5% of worldwide shipments. 

Windows Phone was the big mover once again, showing solid growth up 165% year-on-year, to finish at 4% of global shipments and the number three platform. Of course, Nokia essentially is the market for Microsoft, making up 95% of Windows Phone shipments. Android is still the top of the pile with its share of shipments growing to 80.6% of the market. 

ABI is also saying that based on the Q4 revenue guidance provided by Apple, the company is expecting to ship 53 million iPhones during the holiday quarter. And, if that turns out to be correct, Apple is looking at a big drop in Q4 shipment market share. It could drop all the way to 18.7% market share which is down from 22.6% in Q4 2012.
SOURCE: ABI Research
Re: Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by Jimijaque16(m): 7:20pm On Oct 31, 2013
That seems interesting to the Adroid phones users; but don't you think Blackberry will negate the efficiency of BBM on adroid?
It is also pertinent to note that Adroid/iphones may heighten their selling price because of their recent popularity? Anyway UP ANDROID!
Re: Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by caukerzee(m): 8:29pm On Oct 31, 2013
Jimijaque16: That seems interesting to the Adroid phones users; but don't you think Blackberry will negate the efficiency of BBM on adroid?
It is also pertinent to note that Adroid/iphones may heighten their selling price because of their recent popularity? Anyway UP ANDROID!
I highly doubt. Blackberry would have moved in that direction with the just released BBM apps for iOS and android already if they are going to be doing that with subsequent releases. I mean, the android and iOS BBM apps are on par with the BBM app on their flagship.

With BBM releasedon iOS and android, I feel Blackberry is finally giving up on the hardware market and focusing on software.

On another note, Even as a die hard android fan, I hate monpoly and lack of choices. With the increasing growth rate of android, I think we're heading for a total dominance by google.
Re: Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
hmmmm.... iphone shouldnt be tht low..

bb shouldnt be tht much.. they should be off d list..
Re: Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by krugar07(m): 8:27am On Nov 01, 2013
deejay_harry1: hmmmm.... iphone shouldnt be tht low..

grin grin dude u harsh ooo.
Re: Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by caukerzee(m): 9:21am On Nov 01, 2013
deejay_harry1: hmmmm.... iphone shouldnt be tht low..

Why shouldn't iphone be that low? Apple makes just one phone in a year (two this year) and they go up against several other android OEMs that produce countless devices in a year. I feel the margin should be wider sef.
Re: Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by Jimijaque16(m): 3:04pm On Nov 02, 2013
can anyone help us in this delibration? I mean how could bb leave hardware for android/iphones? Isnt it better that they continue with both hard/soft wares markets?
Plz I understand the bb fan still crave for it and they say bbm on android/iOS is not unique.
None the less, the issue is that bb is not the first to sing neither will it be the last? How famous is these android and iOS?
Sorry for the boring questions.
Re: Blackberry Down To 1.5% Worldwide Market Share, Android Up To Almost 81% by caukerzee(m): 5:30pm On Nov 02, 2013
Jimijaque16: can anyone help us in this delibration? I mean how could bb leave hardware for android/iphones? Isnt it better that they continue with both hard/soft wares markets?
Its all a scheme to regain the brand popularity they once had so they could use it to revive their hardware department.
Plz I understand the bb fan still crave for it and they say bbm on android/iOS is not unique.
None the less, the issue is that bb is not the first to sing neither will it be the last? How famous is these android and iOS?
The chart in th OP says it all. Android is about 54 times more popular than Blackberry and iOS is about 5 times more popular globally.

(1) (Reply)

Apple Says Just NINE People Have Reported Bent Iphone 6 Plus Phones. / Please, Let's Stop All Discussions Related To Etisalat Paygo Pulse / How To Find A Lost Android Phone Using Google

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.