Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Criticize The Nairaland Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Criticize The Nairaland Website (1622 Views)

Is Nairaland Website Under Attack??? Sep2015 / How Would You Improve The Nairaland Website? / If U Want Changes On Nairaland Website What Do U Want (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Criticize The Nairaland Website by JUNIT1(m): 1:56pm On Jul 10, 2008
advantages, dis advantages, graphics, hosting, let's get talking
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2008
J UNIT:

advantages, this advantages, graphics, hosting, let's get talking
u musta meant "disadvantages". Even at that, i still dont get what this is about.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by Gamine(f): 2:31pm On Jul 10, 2008
lol

nothing to critic here.

d site works, thats important
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2008
oh is it about criticizing nairaland.com?
its just a site running on SMF, so nothing to criticize.
we can all talk about vulnerabilities, and yea nairaland sucks big time cUz its running on a very old version of SMF. and theer are so many known exploits for this version of SMF that have been corrected in newer versions. why the admin hasn't seen it right to upgrade is best know to him and his crew (thts beyond my jurisdiction).

Presently installed SMF Version on this site: SMF 1.0.12.
Year of release: 2003 shocked

Current versions of SMF releases: SMF 1.1.5, 2.0 Beta, 3.0 Public
Year of latest release: 2008
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by origina9ja(f): 3:11pm On Jul 10, 2008
abag the site no bad
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by JUNIT1(m): 3:15pm On Jul 10, 2008
have you seen other forums?
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by 123ras(m): 3:20pm On Jul 10, 2008
What are the fundamental differences between nairaland and nairalander.com?Let me know
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 3:25pm On Jul 10, 2008
J UNIT:

Guy, i've got Chardonnay, Cristal Champagne, Sweet Wine, Burgundy and few others, which would u take? grin
Thanks for that question.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by uspry1(f): 3:26pm On Jul 10, 2008
Nairaland site is a database-driven community site, a public discussion forum, social networking, bulletin board, message board, chatroom, or blog.

You need to learn understanding about many different types of websites where web designer/developer create differently at the following link below:

Different Types of Websites
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by uspry1(f): 3:38pm On Jul 10, 2008
J UNIT:

Yes, I have seen other forums where they use different kinds of forum templates/themes installed such as below:

Drupal, Phpbb, Joomla, SMF, WordPress, myBB.

There are over 100 different kinds of forum themes installed. At least the forum administrator can afford EXPENSIVE BANDWIDTH space if it is over 50MB web space. Usually at least 10-250GB web space handling largest number of members on forum; otherwise paying for extra bandwidth space.

this forum, NL is outdated version of SMF, the forum administrator have not update yet like Dual Core has said it all.

Maybe he do not wish for upgrade for his own personal reason!

QUIT COMPLAINING that every forums are different by different adminstrators on their own taste/preferences. What you expect for them must follow the same look of NL?

Come On J Unit!
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by uspry1(f): 3:45pm On Jul 10, 2008
123ras:

What are the fundamental differences between nairaland and nairalander.com?Let me know

Both are different!

Nairaland.com is a public forum discussion site to post general information as message board, chat, and social networking.

Nairalander.com is a public blog site to post daily online dairy/journals to share feelings, opinions, thoughts, rant-n-raving.

I looked at nairalander.com, is suck, unprofessional blog site that is not what dairy/journal is all about. JUST CLICK links you already seen from other sites. I don't see any avid Nigerian bloggers to join its blog to write about.

I don't like it! That is my opinion!
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by hanen(f): 5:23pm On Jul 10, 2008
undecided *shrugs* i just tend to wonder why we cant have avatars or Private messaging. I dont really care, and it doesnt matter, just thought id mention
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 6:00pm On Jul 10, 2008
Uspry, as a mod, u can make suggestions to d admin. I admin a forum, and my mods make suggestions as to wht modifications i can add to d entire forum or to a particular board. So uspry we wld count on u to act as a mediator 4 us. Thanks 4 d good work u do 4 us. Cheerz.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by uspry1(f): 6:20pm On Jul 10, 2008
Dual Core:

Uspry, as a mod, u can make suggestions to d admin. I admin a forum, and my mods make suggestions as to wht modifications i can add to d entire forum or to a particular board. So uspry we would count on u to act as a mediator 4 us. Thanks 4 d good work u do 4 us. Cheerz.
@Dual Core

I already done my part suggestions to the admin few times. That is enough for me! Your turn!

Yes I have seen your forum---nice job!

I also help other SMF admin out there too joining other forum where I enjoy the most---playing games to kill my time of boredom. I used to be Atari video gamer back 20 years ago, glad all classic games are back online!
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by OmniPotens(m): 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2008
I don't think there is anything wrong with nairaland. Her functionality is okay and serves the purpose it is meant for. The only issues might be upgrades which is not a compulsion. It's a choice left for the Admin to make and take actions.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by JUNIT1(m): 6:48am On Jul 11, 2008
Dual Core:

Guy, i've got Chardonnay, Cristal Champagne, Sweet Wine, Burgundy and few others, which would u take? grin
Thanks for that question.

ok compare sweet wine forum, with the nairaland forum, let's know what the difference is.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by OmniPotens(m): 8:14am On Jul 11, 2008
J UNIT:

ok compare sweet wine forum, with the nairaland forum, let's know what the difference is.

What point are you actually trying to stress here? If you want over a hundred forum addresses, I can post them all here but at the end, what do you want to point out to be the main critique point? Functionality? Beauty?? What
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 8:24am On Jul 11, 2008
Lmao, i waz only offering types of wine i had tht he'll want me to offer him 4 asking a good question. Lol plz dnt make an issue ouTTa tht. Sori 4 any misunderstandings. Cheers.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by JUNIT1(m): 11:34am On Jul 11, 2008
beuty, design, what can be done to improve this forum, to make it more interesting, i see the same things day in an day out, i want something unique here.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 12:01pm On Jul 11, 2008
Its a forum, layout remains d same, topic and posts change. Now d layout remainin d same will make dis site rank high on User experience and satisfaction, dontcha think?
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by ZUBY77(m): 12:11pm On Jul 12, 2008
Applying upgrades on an SMF software is tricky .
I am sure someone must have suggested upgrades to the admin here
but we must not rule out the fact that he might be scared to do so.
He could crash the site.
Upgrading a forum with a huge database must be done by someone
who knows how to apply the upgrades manually to the file directories.
Which will cause no harm to the forum database.
Plus the usual back-up
A friend of mine s forum is SMF too.
[url=http://.com/index.php/board,91.0.html]SMF SOLUTIONS[/url]
It was initially 1.1.4 version but upgraded to 1.1.5 version.
He also helped many people apply some upgrades and mods a well.
I have seen in his forum a board dedicated to solving SMF problems.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 1:25pm On Jul 12, 2008
Yeap d database will b big. The admin hasnt asked 4 help, wen he does, he'll get help. My hommie is an official smf support techy and he's a member of dis forum, he had my back wen i converted my forum 4rm phpbb to smf. Have u noticed pron bots on nairaland? Well lets just say one random crackhead has noticed d vulnerabilities on this forum and has taken advantage of tht. Then again, there're lotsa bot IDs, wht do u expect wen their isn't any CAPTCHA or bot question on d reg page?
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by abhosts(m): 1:58pm On Jul 12, 2008
Vbulletin is a more robust forum application. I hope this thread will be a wakeup call for the Moderator to give his forum a makeover.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 7:12pm On Jul 12, 2008
Vbulletin seperates d boyz from d men lol. Its not a freeware, but its perfect. Using vbulletin illegally is one stress no one is ready to face, they can get to d extent of taking d admin to court.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by JUNIT1(m): 6:48am On Jul 14, 2008
smiley
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by JUNIT1(m): 8:40am On Jul 15, 2008
more criticsm please, this site aint perfect
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by wolexf(m): 6:47pm On Jul 17, 2008
J UNIT:

more criticsm please, this site aint perfect

Sure it aint perfect. First of all the site does need a makeover, its too basic apart from the content nothin has really been added to the look of the forum. When forum applications like these are used, there should ve some graphical addition that shouldnt give away the site at first glance. immediately we take a look we know immediately its SMF.

This site has been on for a while now i'd expect the forum to be a part of a bigger picture. no disrespect to the Admin but this site hasnt really improved over the years by now u should be thinkin of adding basic social networkin to the site and many other stuffs cos trust me this is a goldmine if u know how to tap from it,

Ps sorry this is long.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by JUNIT1(m): 1:13pm On Jul 19, 2008
chat rooms and personal messaging can also be included on this websitw
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by DualCore1: 2:02pm On Jul 19, 2008
IMHO, d admin isnt tech savvy nd knows little or nothing about web dev, nd maybe, jst maybe he cant afford to drop the ego nd ask someone 4 help or pay someone to do it. Wetin concern agbero wit overload? Me i come, post nd get on wit life, d day one dooshbag launches a terrible attack on d forum due to its outdated version, he will look 4 someone 2 upgrade 4 him.
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by ztyle(m): 2:18pm On Jul 19, 2008
Oh boy u get talent oh shocked

@topic
Frankly speakinq nairaland need upgrades,we can't keep coming here and keep seeinq same forum "no chanqe"
Accordinq to Dual Core i concur to all his comment,indeed he's a good observer,dude keep it up. wink

Seun do somethinq abeg. cool
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by origina9ja(f): 2:18pm On Oct 24, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin
lol @ comment
Re: Criticize The Nairaland Website by jmslimx(m): 2:55pm On Oct 24, 2008
this dual core guy, i dont mind looking into ur work , because u sounding as if u work with macromedia , we jst dey try for our own levels , but show ur stuff make i see

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get A Website For Just 3k,5k,10k,20k Or More / Lagos Acn Website Review / W3school Teaches False Standards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.