Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (19132 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / OONI-- Seven Day Curfew Begins In Ife / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by danex67(m): 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2013
odua boy: Omo ibo it's not to late to exercise your rights,just go to oniru between the selected time frame for the oro festival and see if you would live to tell the story.
Oun ti oju e bari ,oun ni ko fi ara mo.
You came all the way from alaigbo to tell the indeginious people how to run their culture,you must be sick in the head.
And what makes you think he is ibo?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by sparkleRed(f): 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2013
Flautist: O my God,what a perfect tym 4 binding and casting... ATR is the worst thing that happened to Africa.
Neva u say dat again angry
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by feelamong(m): 4:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
ok... make una just try snap some photos post for us to see what an oro festival is!

afterall we do see the Emir of kano durban photo.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Ralphlauren(m): 4:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
danex67:
And what makes you think he is ibo?

that is your answer.

proO1:

Then again, as a proud Igbo man , that arrogant language "directed" pain me small, ontop my own property wey cost me small fortune? Haba.

he is ibo

5 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Yoruba_Jesus: Aunty Stella pls borrowing me one of your armoured BMW. I want to take a drive n see what they dont want me to see

Cowmilk, so you're now Yoruba_Jesus? All hail the saviour of the Yoruba's. Please sanctify these people with some divine milk to give them divine protection while they disobey the gods of the land.

You and I need to take a divine walk during the said time and peep what they don't want these people to see. Protect me with your bosoms. And keep me under them and make me warm when it's cold at night.

Thank you, Yoruba-Jesus. tongue
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by vislabraye(m): 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: @op what sort of outdoor business activity do you want to engage in at 10pm to 4am?

What do you mean by asking that question So U support a fetish festival that would even affect movement.
I didn't spend millions for a house only to be told when not to come out. Imagine !! I can't even switch on my light. Nansense.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by naptu2: 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
stillwater:

Only harmless traditions should be allowed to continue IMO. The consequence of being caught in this is death. I have never heard of the Oro people taking anyone caught to the police. They will kill you there. Such practice should be discontinued. The government should look into this.

I've heard of them taking people to the police many times. There was always a story in the newspapers about nitel and nepa cable thieves being arrested by the oro in Central Lagos and being taken to the police (this was back in the 80s and early 90s).

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
Polio: This thread reeks of tribalism and bigotry.

"When people have tried everything and have discovered that nothing works, they will tend to revert to what they know best—which will often be the tribe, the totem, or the taboo."
--------------------------------------Christopher Hitchens

Just like they say "empty barrels make the loudest noise"
People who most probably worthless in reality, starts it.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by DnigerianPrince: 4:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
That plus illiteracy and ignorance.

Imagine someone questioning why I should be outside at 4am, a grown man and in 2013? Backward country with backward mentality and backward people.

Nigeria isn't ruled by a monarchy and I still find it hard to understand why the Oba or whoever it can issue a decree under a functioning Democratic government, well it's all a joke anyways.

The anti igbos and anti Yorubas on this thread make me wanna delete my account, evil people and mindset

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by naptu2: 4:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

Cowmilk, so you're now Yoruba_Jesus? All hail the saviour of the Yoruba's. Please sanctify these people with some divine milk to give them divine protection while they disobey the gods of the land.

You and I need to take a divine walk during the said time and peep what they don't want these people to see. Protect me with your bosoms. And keep me under them and make me warm when it's cold at night.

cheesy thanks for that revelation. Now I'm happy again.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by chiboy1928(m): 4:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
U guys should stop being scared I have dare dose guys b4 during dat oro festival and notin happen and am still yet gonna Do it again cos no one can restrict ma movement well dose laws are for them and the weak ones wen am going home dat time let them dare try to stop me dat all I can say!!!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by vislabraye(m): 4:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: @op what sort of outdoor business activity do you want to engage in at 10pm to 4am?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sweetlemon: lol! Are you guys minding the people coming here to form "rights"?
Don't you know 90% of active NLers are introverts? These people don't even go out at all except to school, work (for those who actually have jobs or businesses), or church/mosque. Some are even too addicted to the internet they attend church on NL Sunday mornings!
So where do you expect them to get the liver from??

The day anyone in your household lives in a million-dollar estate or the day one person in your entire lineage gets a personal lawyer, then, you can start commenting on issues such as this.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
------------------------------------Martin Luther King, Jr.

3 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
naptu2:

cheesy thanks for that revelation. Now I'm happy again.

Lmao. I've been looking for her as well. grin
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by naptu2: 4:16pm On Nov 01, 2013

You can change that by clicking the "report" button, as I have done.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Sweetlemon(f): 4:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
Promhize:

The day anyone in your household lives in a million-dollar estate or the day one person in your entire lineage gets a personal lawyer, then, you can start commenting on issues such as this

smh

FYI I am far from being a yoruba girl. VERY far. Cos I know that's what's running around your tribalistic skull.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by oduaboy1: 4:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
the_ripper3: U better stay in your house in your own interest or this fiendish demons go use ur head appease one Yoruba god with insatiable lust for blood.

P.S Bullet no dey kill this pple o, i don watch dem one day as dem dey deflect bullet from soldiers. them strong pass THOR o.
Thank you for advising your fellow ibo brother,lets hope he listens and dont go about exhibiting the ibo braveness.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
naptu2:

I've heard of them taking people to the police many times. There was always a story in the newspapers about nitel and nepa cable thieves being arrested by the oro in Central Lagos and being taken to the police (this was back in the 80s and early 90s).

These are thieves. I know real life stories. So I'm not talking about something I don't know.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zikdik(m): 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
Mynd_44: It is not illegal to drive around there within that time frame. No once cares. If you feel you have a right to express your rights, take a walk or drive through there.

Afterall, we are in a democracy, and you have freedom of movement
Ah! Mynd! Se o buru to yi ni?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sweetlemon:

smh

Do you even know what its like to sign an agreement?

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
--------------------------------- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by oduaboy1: 4:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Sweetlemon(f): 4:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
Promhize:

Do you even know what its like to sign an agreement?

------------------------------------- Martin Luther King, Jr.

FYI I am far from being a yoruba girl. VERY far. Cos I know that's what's running around your tribalistic skull which is what prevented you from reading and comprehending my first post.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by naptu2: 4:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
stillwater:

These are thieves. I know real life stories. So I'm not talking about something I don't know.

I'm not saying that you are talking about something that you don't know, I'm simply saying that there have been instances when men of the oro took people that they had apprehended to the police.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Polio: 4:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
chiboy1928: U guys should stop being scared I have dare dose guys b4 during dat oro festival and notin happen and am still yet gonna Do it again cos no one can restrict ma movement well dose laws are for them and the weak ones wen am going home dat time let them dare try to stop me dat all I can say!!!

I am sorry for you.

Should i even be? Hell naw ... Dare them, wide-mouthed like Zangief! Dare them

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
You definitely can't disrespect the culture/tradition of the land and tell people what they've been doing to centuries has to stop because it doesn't agree with your thought-process. It's a free world, if you don't like it, move to an area that's more suitable to you.

There are people out there who don't like how Churches disturb the peace of everywhere on Sundays (a day for people to rest), but you can't stop people from doing their own thing. Same for those who don't agree with Muslims and whatever they do.

It's a free world.

4 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by vislabraye(m): 4:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Some flat-headed-akpu-chopping goons who have no regard for the culture of their host will soon be deported. I dare you to go to kano and tell ado bayero to stop the durbar festival or go to birnin kebbi and tell them to stop the argungu festival because it disturbs your business activity

Argungun fishing festival is a tourist attraction. It shud even be encourage. Have U heard them kill any body there ?

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by ATMCARD2(m): 4:24pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ofe mmanu tinz lipsrsealed
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Mynd44: 4:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
Zikdik:
Ah! Mynd! Se o buru to yi ni?
People have a right to do as they wish

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
coogar: what is this new oro all about?
i thought men are free to roam & it only restricts women from watching it. has the tradition changed?
women, strangers and men who arent initiated are not permitted to be outdoor when the oro procession is on-going
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

)

The people know where to get the divine milk when they need it.

You are blessed my son but you dont have to go under my blossoms to be protected. Roll with me and you will be saved. wink
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by VirginFinder: 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2013
This thread may go haywire.

TGIF cool
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
chiboy1928: U guys should stop being scared I have dare dose guys b4 during dat oro festival and notin happen and am still yet gonna Do it again cos no one can restrict ma movement well dose laws are for them and the weak ones wen am going home dat time let them dare try to stop me dat all I can say!!!
Bro, get well soon, in advance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Etsu Nupe Marks Birthday Today Ahead Of 20th Anniversary On Throne This Weekend / Bí Ase Ń Fi Àmì Ohùn Sí Orí Ọ̀rọ̀ Yorùbá(how To Type Yorùbá Language With Accent / Ooni Ogunwusi Receives Miss Tourism Nigeria Contestants At His Palace. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.