Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (19149 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / OONI-- Seven Day Curfew Begins In Ife / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ijebulogic: There are a number of Churches within this Private Estate - The Congregation should challenge the Church leaders to arrange a seven day vigil between 10pm and 4am during the same period. In fact candle night vigil and March on the streets. Sadly collecting Tithes may be more important than speaking up against evil.

Why did you choose "Ijebulogic" as your handle? grin

Darn!! This guy just disrespected Ijebu's with an illogical comment. smfdh

5 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by bakynes(m): 8:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
greggng: Most of you shouting go back to your village! The last time I checked you guys are not from lagos state. Stop ur childish noise here. You call using innocent peoples blood for sacrifice culture? No wonder you guys are so barbaric

Mr Greggng Oro Tradition is a general Yoruba Tradition and as Yorubas they have every right to claim Lagos because their fore fathers migrated to Lagos long ago. Some one like me I claim Ogun as my state of Origin(Ijebu precisely) bt my grand father was born and lived in Lagos so y can't I claim Lagos besides we have a family house in lawanson so y can't I claim Lagos But I chose not to.

2 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by bakynes(m): 8:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
TechWalker007: When we say we need National Conference, some folks will attack us.

How can a people tell everyone to sit at home whether or not you believe in their religion? Total disregard for the constitution!

FYI the Yorubas were the one that first clamoured for a National conference after the June 12 Election was annulled.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by specco(m): 8:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
My thoughts go out to those who will certainly lose either their son or daughter or husband or wives or brother or sister or aunt or uncle or friend to this high- tech culture. Eko o ni bajeoo in 2013!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by basilo101: 8:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
Mynd_44:
In the Arab world, Sallah festivities go on for 10 days. Public holiday stretches that long.

During the month of Ramadan, most restaurants close and those that don't must put blinds on their windows so those who are eating inside cannot be seen from the outside. Public eating is banned and clubbing/partying are curbed by the government.

The countries who do this include Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman etc. All countries with trade advances and are moving up in development without anyone going to tell them they are backward.

Everyone have been warned a week before the time and told the necessary steps.

If you have an urgent medical need, they will always allow you pass. The reason for shutting everywhere down is so that no one sees what they should not see and start saying someone put a hex/curse on them but if you want to defy it, they won't charge you to court or arrest you.

Just dare it and you might find what you are looking for
Nigeria is a secular state
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by dcitizen1: 8:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
That is why i love the igbo pple as a tribe. If that practice has been in igbo, igbo will have confronted the cultural practice and demystify it a long time ago with courage and boldness and intelligence. Great invention and civilisation are built on caurage , temerity and sound reasoning

Culture is dynamic and evloving. Thinking pple not slowpoke and coward pple redefine culture and move on. I strongly believe that there is nothing wrong with us dat cannot be cured by what is right it us. I believe in conservatism keeping what is worth keeping and progessivism discarding what is worth discarding. To me, i think oro practice is a retrogressive culture dat is counterproductuve and has outlived its purpose.

A white man from far europe invaded nigeria and held our pple hostage and exported them to europe for exploitation and slave trade thereby creating identity crises. They even silenced the god of all tribes. Why cannot the gods in yoruba, igbo or hausa stop them? Is our god afraid of the white skin?

I have said and i am saying it again that anybody that is still practicing oro festival restricting movement in the 21st century has not fully evolved. He or she still belongs to the stone age.

The worst tragedy of a man is self delusion or deceit. Pple claimd dat oro practice help to secure a community? How true is it? I live in an area where two opc security men were brutally murdered by armed robber in the middle of the nait. One was beheaded by gang of armed robber, while the other one was thrown into a life transfomer and he was electrocuted to dealth despite the voodoo and charms dat they both possessed. 3 days, later, some group of traditional ppl decided to carry out oro festival to cleanse the land from armed robbery, but the incidence of robbery still persist and i am yet to see confession from the gang of robbers. It is a pity dat we have a vast proportion of nigerians dat are still living in self deciet and delusion. May God help us in this country and save us frm self-inflicted ignorance and delusion. We are gods.

6 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by basilo101: 8:35pm On Nov 01, 2013
Megacity my foot!
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by 3ace(m): 8:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
No matter how irritating it might sound, we're all visitors.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by lumeneng22: 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
zeelo2014: All windows must be shut & the generators off. Just imagine? In 2013?
.What of transparent window and solar street light? This primitive juju still exist in high brow victoria is land.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by lumeneng22: 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
zeelo2014: All windows must be shut & the generators off. Just imagine? In 2013?
.What of transparent window and solar street light? This primitive juju still exist in high brow victoria is land?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Ijebulogic(m): 8:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

[b]Oga ......[/b]I urge you to research The Current Awujale of Ijebu land (Adetona)'s position on this blood-letting "festival". He denounced it many years ago and refuses to participate in the rituals. So if my position is not any different from the position of the Awujale of Ijebuland (where this cult originated), then your point is Mute sir.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by basilo101: 9:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
lakhadimar: Some flat-headed-akpu-chopping goons who have no regard for the culture of their host will soon be deported. I dare you to go to kano and tell ado bayero to stop the durbar festival or go to birnin kebbi and tell them to stop the argungu festival because it disturbs your business activity
d most educated tribe indeed, see comparison
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by piphunter(m): 9:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
gurnam: Approved. Go ahead and do the needful.
this man must be a banker grin
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by funnyx(m): 9:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ijebulogic: There are a number of Churches within this Private Estate - The Congregation should challenge the Church leaders to arrange a seven day vigil between 10pm and 4am during the same period. In fact candle night vigil and March on the streets. Sadly collecting Tithes may be more important than speaking up against evil.

Honestly change your handle, your logic is far from being an ijebu logic grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zet72(m): 9:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
gurnam: Oro...a reality check for those noise makers from across the Niger.

Lagos has tradition and culture...

Lagos is a traditional and cultural city..
Lagos is no more a mega-city. Poo de smell
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Rhino5dm: 9:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
TechWalker007: When we say we need National Conference, some folks will attack us.

How can a people tell everyone to sit at home whether or not you believe in their religion? Total disregard for the constitution!

So, national conference will now stop us from observing our norms and traditions? Just get the hell out to your village, where nobody can stop your from roaming about nakked.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ijebulogic:
[b]Oga ......[/b]I urge you to research The Current Awujale of Ijebu land (Adetona)'s position on this blood-letting "festival". He denounced it many years ago and refuses to participate in the rituals. So if my position is not any different from the position of the Awujale of Ijebuland (where this cult originated), then your point is Mute sir.

I definitely won't support anything that has to do with blood-letting, human rituals and cannibalism. Those are barbaric acts which have no place in the 21st century. However, with the festival, they never alluded to anything like that - all they did was tell people to stay indoors for their own safety. And I don't see anything wrong in doing that.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the Awujale. However, my reason for saying your comment is "illogical" has to do with your suggestion that Christians should do vigil, and dare the people with candle-night. Why go trouble people who aren't troubling you? How about live and let's live? You and I know that Christians are arguably the weakest people out there due to the over-reliance on holy-spirit to always fight for them. So if those people end up smacking the crap out of those Christians, I know you lot would label them as fanatics and extremists. Without citing how they weren't bothering you before you decided to dare them.

Let me say this. If the number of naija Churches can be used as yardstick to estimate what Nigeria is like - then I'd say almost every house would be a Church in Nigeria. So if Christianity were to be that powerful, how come all these vigils and Christians have been unable to save Nigeria and get the country out of the doldrums? It shows everything is just a mind thing and a figment of imagination. There's no true religion. And as long as you're not evil, you're your own religion. If you're a Christian, or Muslim, do what works best for you. And I believe these people are also doing what works for them, so why can't you lot let them be?

We as black people need to stop helping them in propagating culture imperialism. And let those who still believe in the culture and traditions of the land, do what works for them since they aren't troubling any of you.

4 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by isalegan2: 9:36pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ijebulogic:

If he said that, then the Bashorun and Balogun need to send him a calabash containing a parrot's egg. lipsrsealed
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zet72(m): 9:43pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

Yes, their safety isn't guaranteed because they were warned before hand. Anyway, I don't see any infringement on the rights of the citizens since they were warned about it - and customary laws are allowed in the constitution. That's the custom of the land and you need to respect it.

Let me do a comparative analysis. I live in a Christian country where the laws are well laid out. And everyone knows you're indirectly asked to stay indoors on Christmas day. Despite the fact that an overwhelming percentage of the people aren't Christians based on the definition of what Christianity is. Because most the indigenous people who make up about over 80% of the population don't go to church. However, regardless of your religious background, or belief-system - you've to respect what Christmas is about and stay in your house on Christmas day. If you go out on that day and find yourself stranded in the middle-of-nowhere because trains and buses aren't working - that's your cross and you've to carry it.

And as for the people protecting themselves - there's absolutely no point doing that as long as they can play by the rules.
This ur analogy reeks of ignorance, how dare u compare apple with banana

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
bloggernaija: About time.
you lose your language ,culture and tradition ,
You may as well sell yourself to slavery.

I don't think it's about losing your culture but rather modernizing it, so that it becomes relevant in 2013.......

Why should I be prevented from going out because some people are doing Oro celebration? Do they have more rights than me? Why should they impose their celebration on my freedom as a fellow Nigerian?

Any religion or tradition that infringes on another man's right should be put to an end !!!!!

I think Oro people have the right to celebrate but telling people not to go out is pure infringement on human rights.

How about people with medical needs or needing emergency? They should die just because some minorities are partying?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Rhino5dm: 9:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
d citizen:
[s]That is why i love the igbo pple as a tribe. If that practice has been in igbo, igbo will have confronted the cultural practice and demystify it a long time ago with courage and boldness and intelligence. Great invention and civilisation are built on caurage , temerity and sound reasoning

Culture is dynamic and evloving. Thinking pple not slowpoke and coward pple redefine culture and move on. I strongly believe that there is nothing wrong with us dat cannot be cured by what is wrong it us. I believe in conservatism keeping what is worth keeping and progessivism discarding what is worth discarding. To me, i think oro practice is a retrogressive culture dat is counterproductuve and has outlived its purpose.

A white man from far europe invaded nigeria and held our pple hostage and exported them to europe for exploitation and slave trade thereby creating identity crises. Why cannot the gods in yoruba, igbo or hausa stop them? Is our god afraid of the white skin?

I have said and i am saying it again that anybody that is still practicing oro festival restricting movement in the 21st century has not fully evolved. He or she still belongs to the stone age.

The worst tragedy of a man is self delusion or deceit. Pple claimd dat oro practice help to secure a community? How true is it? I live in an area where two opc security men were brutally murdered by armed robber in the middle of the nait. One was beheaded by gang of armed robber, while the other one was thrown into a life transfomer and he was electrocuted to dealth despite the voodoo and charms dat they both possessed. 3 days, later, some group of traditional ppl decided to carry out oro festival to cleanse the land from armed robbery, but the incidence of robbery still persist and i am yet to see confession from the gang of robbers. It is a pity dat we have a vast proportion of nigerians dat are still living in self deciet and delusion. May God help us in this country and save us frm self-inflected ignorance and delusion

Stop lying!

Ibos are the most double faced hypocrites in the world. Read below. . .This was last month, 2013!.

The flag off of the All Progressives Congress (APC)
Governorship candidate in Anambra State, Dr Chris Nwabueze
Ngige Tuesday kicked off without the national leader of the
party, Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu even as the traditional
institution in Onitsha condemned the flag off on the day
Onitsha was holding its Ofala festival.

Although only three governors, including Rochas Okorocha of
Imo State, Fayemi of Ekiti State and Adams Oshiomhole of Edo
State where among other party chieftains who attended the
rally, which was disrupted by a heavy down pour till after 3
pm.
Adding to that, youths in Onitsha protested against Ngige for
holding their flag-off campaign on the day, Dr. Alfred Achebe,
the Igwe of Onitsha was having his Ofala festival.

The Obi of Onitsha speaking at his palace, placed curse on
Ngige and APC , saying his Ofala announcement was made
over a year ago and wondered why APC should disrupt its
sanctity.

While rounding up his Ofala festival Tuesday, the angry Obi
said it was very disrespectful for a political party, in spite of
the almost one year notice, to fix their rally the same day.
He angrily struck his ofor thrice on the ground and spoke in
Igbo "onye mejoo ani, ochuba ya (he who goes contrary to
tradition will have himself hunted).

Earlier he debunked the rumour in some quarters that he
resigned as the Chairman of the Traditional Rulers Council on
account of differences with Governor Obi, insisting that having
been in the position for over five years that it was time for
others to serve too.

He said he enjoyed good and harmonious relationship with
Obi, who accorded him due respect punctuated by reciprocity.
He said he was behind him in the support for Anambra North
to produce the next governor in the spirit of equity and
fairness.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/apc-flag-obi-onitsha-places-curse-ngige

There was also a thread about this incident, which most of the hypocrites here crying more the bereaved hailed the actions of Obi of Onitsha.

We know why you lots are shouting. You want us to forget our culture, so that you can continue shouting Lagos is no man's land, right?

You want us to start having obinna, a native of Oshodi? Keep crying!

4 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
[s]
Zet72: This ur analogy reeks of ignorance, how dare u compare apple with banana
[/s]

If you don't under the post. Just ignore my post and don't quote me. Else I would curse you so bad, your mum would shed a tear for you. I can't stand stupid people.

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by savio07(m): 9:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
God punish unah and the God forsaking tradition.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Rhino5dm: 9:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx:

That goat is ibo, stop taking him serious.

https://www.nairaland.com/1470660/obi-onitsha-curses-ngige-apc

^^^^

See how these hypocrites praised Obi of Onitsha when he placed curse on Chris Ngige, cos Ngige flagged off his campaign the same day that the chief was observing and celebrating traditional rituals.

4 Likes

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Larufa(m): 10:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
obo_man:

I don't think it's about losing your culture but rather modernizing it, so that it becomes relevant in 2013.......

Why should I be prevented from going out because some people are doing Oro celebration? Do they have more rights than me? Why should they impose their celebration on my freedom as a fellow Nigerian?

Any religion or tradition that infringes on another man's right should be put to an end !!!!!

I think Oro people have the right to celebrate but telling people not to go out is pure infringement on human rights.

How about people with medical needs or needing emergency? They should die just because some minorities are partying?

Thanks @obo_man, only if you will say same to Redeemed Church, Deeper Life, Mountain of fire, Nasfat and other religious bodies that are always in the habit of obstructing free flow of traffic and human movement, noise pollution etc during any of their programs.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Afolabs101: 10:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
@shymexx, you said they're not bothering anyone but they've given us orders. Now if we break those orders let's say by putting on our gen or switching on a light, what happens?

The Oniru Royal Security haven't told us of the consequences, but we've been told through family members who live amongst us and by friends, acquaintances, colleagues etc. We're told you may face death (not sure whether through physical or spiritual means) sad So that's why some of us feel our rights are being infringed on.

But something I'd like to know is if the Muslim religion and the Traditional religion can both be practiced simultaneously. I ask this because all through the estate they vigorously celebrated the Sallah with plenty ram slaughtering, now a couple of weeks later it's Oro Festival undecided
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zet72(m): 10:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Stop lying!

Ibos are the most double faced hypocrites in the world. Read below. . .This was last month, 2013!.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/apc-flag-obi-onitsha-places-curse-ngige

There was also a thread about this incident, which most of the hypocrites here crying more the bereaved hailed the actions of Obi of Onitsha.

We know why you lots are shouting. You want us to forget our culture, so that you can continue shouting Lagos is no man's land, right?

You want us to start having obinna, a native of Oshodi? Keep crying!
Comparing apple with mangoe, in that article was there a restriction of movement?
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zet72(m): 10:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
shymexx: [s][/s]

If you don't under the post. Just ignore my post and don't quote me. Else I would curse you so bad, your mum would shed a tear for you. I can't stand stupid people.
Smh
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
This is a typical yoruba setting. No matter how educated or enlightened or even repented they seem,they will always support and engage in fettish and idolatory acts. A generation that doesn't fear the Lord. I don't expect any yoruba person to see anything wrong with this. Idol worshipping and sacrifice is just a way of life for them. A people still far from christ

1 Like

Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zet72(m): 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
Afolabs101: @shymexx, you said they're not bothering anyone but they've given us orders. Now if we break those orders let's say by putting on our gen or switching on a light, what happens?

The Oniru Royal Security haven't told us of the consequences, but we've been told through family members who live amongst us and by friends, acquaintances, colleagues etc. We're told you may face death (not sure whether through physical or spiritual means) sad So that's why some of us feel our rights are being infringed on.

But something I'd like to know is if the Muslim religion and the Traditional religion can both be practiced simultaneously. I ask this because all through the estate they vigorously celebrated the Sallah with plenty ram slaughtering, now a couple of weeks later it's Oro Festival undecided

Thank u, u raised a salient question. Thesame people who practices islam are thesame ones engaging in oro rituals.... Smh
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
Afolabs101: @shymexx, you said they're not bothering anyone but they've given us orders. Now if we break those orders let's say by putting on our gen or switching on a light, what happens?

I don't know what the consequences are - you would probably have to roll with "Yoruba-Jesus" to find out. However, it's better to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's."

As for the religion bit, I think the Yoruba religion allows you to practise other religions as well. That's all I can say based on what I've read about Ifa. But I don't know how true it's.
Re: Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival by Zet72(m): 10:52pm On Nov 01, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Receives Miss Tourism Nigeria Contestants At His Palace. PICS / Etsu Nupe Marks Birthday Today Ahead Of 20th Anniversary On Throne This Weekend / "DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.