Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? (22934 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / Sending Your Kids To Good Schools And Your Househelp To Lower Schools. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 12:21pm On Nov 01, 2013
Many families in urban areas in Nigeria and other countries in the world have housemaids and houseboys and they are the popular domestic workers in many homes.
There are those who cannot do without them.

I am not really against families with housemaids and houseboys, but I am really concerned about how they treat them.
We have heard and read of many reports of horrible and terrible things done to housemaids and houseboys by their employers.
In many homes, they treat them without respect and so they maltreat them.
I have seen where dogs in the mansion are better treated than housemaids and houseboys in Nigeria.
I mean the dogs can sit on the rug with the family, but the housemaids and houseboys cannot do so.

The worst is to deprive your housemaid or houseboy of education.
It is evil and wicked not to send the housemaid or houseboy of school age to the nearest school.
Depriving your housemaid or houseboy of basic primary or secondary school education is dangerous to your own security and welfare.
Lest we forget, your innocent children are often left in the care of your housemaids and houseboys and imagine what kind of knowledge they would share with your children if they are not educated!
And when you maltreat them, you are going to end up misleading your own children with your bad example in parenting and guardianship.

20 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by tyoseni(m): 12:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
This is a serious issue am still battling with in my house. For me to have an house help then he must go to school but my wife just propose one to me yesterday in-which she want to use it for her domestic shore and also helping her at the shop. But I totally object to it because right from inception I've told her NO HOUSE HELP.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 01, 2013
Do unto others........... Its a thing of shame A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ pain that some 'big' people enslave or rather oppress other people's children. They often tend to forget the promises they made in d beginning. Every child is entitled to quality education irrespective of who they r. May God help us.

5 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by EfemenaXY: 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
Orikinla: Many families in urban areas in Nigeria and other countries in the world have housemaids and houseboys and they are the popular domestic workers in many homes.
There are those who cannot do without them.

I am not really against families with housemaids and houseboys, but I am really concerned about how they treat them.
We have heard and read of many reports of horrible and terrible things done to housemaids and houseboys by their employers.
In many homes, they treat them without respect and so they maltreat them.
I have seen where dogs in the mansion are better treated than housemaids and houseboys in Nigeria.
I mean the dogs can sit on the rug with the family, but the housemaids and houseboys cannot do so.

The worst is to deprive your housemaid or houseboy of education.
It is evil and wicked not to send the housemaid or houseboy of school age to the nearest school.
Depriving your housemaid or houseboy of basic primary or secondary school education is dangerous to your own security and welfare.
Lest we forget, your innocent children are often left in the care of your housemaids and houseboys and imagine what kind of knowledge they would share with your children if they are not educated!
And when you maltreat them, you are going to end up misleading your own children with your bad example in parenting and guardianship.

It's called child abuse, unpaid child labour or glorified slavery - take your pick.

Bottom line here is this: The employers people who advocate for these unfortunate souls to be treated as less than human are dead conscious-wise.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 02, 2013
I remember some time ago i went to greet my aunt and so we were jisting and the next thing she said was that i was about goig to my friends house in an hours time before you came,give some minutes,let me go and dress up so we will go together but meanwhile eat.i said ok,so i went to the pot to serve myself.so anyway,i was done with the food,left it in the kitchen and then we both left the house.when we got to her friends house,we exchanged pleaseantries and my aunty asked her friend that she has been looking at this house since,its only you and your husbands bedroom, kids bedroom and play room you guys have,where does your house help sleep.the friend said in the kitchen on the floor.my auntys eyes turned towards me and i looked at her too in shock.i said concrete floor? She said ehen.i said ok,where is she now? The woman said she has gone to pick her kids from school,i said what about her,isnt she in school? She looked at me strange and said why should she be in school,na me born am,abi na me go pay for her school fees when i get 2 pikin wey me and my husband still dey struggle to pay their school fees.my aunty interjected and said ok so how do you compensate her for all the chores shes doing,she said i have paid off the agent who brought her so it is as good as i bought her.she doesnt have any right to anything in this house except food and i must make sure she has washed my childrens school uniform,socks,dishes,everybody has eating before she eats.i had to cut in and said aunty thats not fair na.even though no one knows what youre doing to her and she is vulnerable,God is seeing you o,dont let him visit his judgement upon you through your kids.she said abegiiiiii,spare me.if i send her to school now,she will start getting conscious of herself and her looks and she will start competing with me.i said haba aunty,an 11 year old girl.she said,you you dont even know anything,wait till you get in my shoes.anyway to cut the long story short,when we left her place and my aunty was driving in the car,i said aunty mi, she said aburo,i said can i advise you,she said,i am listening.i noded and said this woman you call your friend,i dont like your relationship with her.this is not the kind of woman you should be hanging around with.God forbid eveil,if your enemy dies and for one reason or the other your child stays with her,just no that your childs life will be messed up.imagine how she is treating her house help as if she is not even a human being.such a little girl like that,an illiterate, worstill sleeping in the kitchen and eating the remenants of everyones plate packed together.that is what we do for our dog.that girl is too small for that na.my aunty said,well,thats true,i will talk to her but i had the intention of talking to her however not in your presence because she might feel embarassed that she is talking to her in the presence of her friends younger one,i said better.

Infact ehen.smh

20 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by ifyalways(f): 7:20am On Nov 02, 2013
^ ^kulyie never disappoints with her stories. Choi cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by engrtee(f): 8:10am On Nov 02, 2013
Them no won go school
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 02, 2013
tyoseni: This is a serious issue am still battling with in my house. For me to have an house help then he must go to school but my wife just propose one to me yesterday in-which she want to use it for her domestic shore and also helping her at the shop. But I totally object to it because right from inception I've told her NO HOUSE HELP.

@ The bolded, will you help out with chores?

10 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by greatgod2012(f): 8:32am On Nov 02, 2013
The fact is that, if you must have a househelp, be ready to treat him/her like one of your kids, anything short of that will definitely bring the wrath of God on that family.

16 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by greatgod2012(f): 8:39am On Nov 02, 2013
I don't know why some rich fellows feels or thinks the reason why God bless them is to oppress the poor, if you're richer or wealthier than someone, it doesn't mean that you're better intelligently than the poor ones, it means you are blessed so that you can bless the less privilege ones, anything short of that, is like blaming God for blessing you.

7 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by greatgod2012(f): 8:50am On Nov 02, 2013
@kulyie, that your aunty's friend is the dumbest person still living. She maltreat her housemaid at the expense of her kids, and she will sometimes leave the kids with the maid, right? And she never thought that such a maltreated househelp can also maltret her own kids whenever she's away, the househelp knows that she do not have anything to lose, God forbid she decide to poison them and run away. She doesn't know anything, you people better talk sense into her mind and brain.

I don't even know how some are so wicked, they will expect the househelp to treat their kids well, while they treat the househelp very bad, even if the househelp doesn't retaliate and doesn't curse them, what about "karma". Some people get mind o.
May God forgive her, but prayer doesn't conquer karma o

7 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by ifeegee(f): 9:02am On Nov 02, 2013
I tell people to treat their helps the way they want their children treated.
These " helps" stay with your kids while you guys are at work.What do you expect?
You give them love and acceptance,they give back same to your children. Treat them like caged animals,your kids will get
same, 'cus no one can really give what they don't have.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 02, 2013
ifyalways: ^ ^kulyie never disappoints with her stories. Choi cheesy

ifyyyyyyalwaysssss grin onisolenu omo ni e cheesy akonisita bi omo jo mejo.translation: i said see as you dey carry me ouyside like pikin.abeg i no be story teller o,but this my eyes,ears and legs don see/hear thiiiiinngggssss gaaannn cheesy

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 02, 2013
greatgod2012: @kulyie, that your aunty's friend is the dumbest person still living. She maltreat her housemaid at the expense of her kids, and she will sometimes leave the kids with the maid, right? And she never thought that such a maltreated househelp can also maltret her own kids whenever she's away, the househelp knows that she do not have anything to lose, God forbid she decide to poison them and run away. She doesn't know anything, you people better talk sense into her mind and brain.

I don't even know how some are so wicked, they will expect the househelp to treat their kids well, while they treat the househelp very bad, even if the househelp doesn't retaliate and doesn't curse them, what about "karma". Some people get mind o.
May God forgive her, but prayer doesn't conquer karma o
you are right,but my aunty don do the talking.no be me get friend na.na my aunty.wetin concerneth me.

However its one thing to talk to a person,its another thing for her to CHANGE! Infact,the best thing be say make mama no die or make pikin come from poor family wey the parents no get conscience,if not.smh

life go tire am with the extent of EXTREME WICKEDNESS IN THIS NAIJA.
honestly,there is nothing like child rights in Nigeria and a lot of people are still practicing child SLAVERY secretly.

Its just a sad vicious cycle because once she starts getting more matured,madam will start feeling threatened and eject her out of the house and before you say Jesus is lord,some unreasonable human beings have introduced her to prostitution at her teenage years,then she will step up to taking drugs and eventually aim to have her prostitution ring.its just a continious vicious cycle of humans inhumanity

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 02, 2013
greatgod2012: The fact is that, if you must have a househelp, be ready to treat him/her like one of your kids, anything short of that will definitely bring the wrath of God on that family.

exactly
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by specialguest(f): 9:37pm On Nov 02, 2013
I have a maid who sleeps in my room, eats with me and inherits most of my clothes. Recently i enrolled her in a very good government school . Did i also mention that i opened an account for her where i pay in her monthly allowance ? Ooo and i drop her off in school every morning on my way to work. She is a very good girl and i am determined to sponsor her education to any level she decides to study. Most people residing in my estate actually think we are closely related and i like to keep it that way at least she wont be tempted to steal my stuff or harm me since her basic needs are catered for.

Girls, ladies, women, mothers, mamalets, please endeavor to treat your maids as if they were your sisters or children. This is the 21st century the era of child labour has passed.

30 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by soulglo: 1:15am On Nov 03, 2013
kulyie: I remember some time ago i went to greet my aunt and so we were jisting and the next thing she said was that i was about goig to my friends house in an hours time before you came,give some minutes,let me go and dress up so we will go together but meanwhile eat.i said ok,so i went to the pot to serve myself.so anyway,i was done with the food,left it in the kitchen and then we both left the house.when we got to her friends house,we exchanged pleaseantries and my aunty asked her friend that she has been looking at this house since,its only you and your husbands bedroom, kids bedroom and play room you guys have,where does your house help sleep.the friend said in the kitchen on the floor.my auntys eyes turned towards me and i looked at her too in shock.i said concrete floor? She said ehen.i said ok,where is she now? The woman said she has gone to pick her kids from school,i said what about her,isnt she in school? She looked at me strange and said why should she be in school,na me born am,abi na me go pay for her school fees when i get 2 pikin wey me and my husband still dey struggle to pay their school fees.my aunty interjected and said ok so how do you compensate her for all the chores shes doing,she said i have paid off the agent who brought her so it is as good as i bought her.she doesnt have any right to anything in this house except food and i must make sure she has washed my childrens school uniform,socks,dishes,everybody has eating before she eats.i had to cut in and said aunty thats not fair na.even though no one knows what youre doing to her and she is vulnerable,God is seeing you o,dont let him visit his judgement upon you through your kids.she said abegiiiiii,spare me.if i send her to school now,she will start getting conscious of herself and her looks and she will start competing with me.i said haba aunty,an 11 year old girl.she said,you you dont even know anything,wait till you get in my shoes.anyway to cut the long story short,when we left her place and my aunty was driving in the car,i said aunty mi, she said aburo,i said can i advise you,she said,i am listening.i noded and said this woman you call your friend,i dont like your relationship with her.this is not the kind of woman you should be hanging around with.God forbid eveil,if your enemy dies and for one reason or the other your child stays with her,just no that your childs life will be messed up.imagine how she is treating her house help as if she is not even a human being.such a little girl like that,an illiterate, worstill sleeping in the kitchen and eating the remenants of everyones plate packed together.that is what we do for our dog.that girl is too small for that na.my aunty said,well,thats true,i will talk to her but i had the intention of talking to her however not in your presence because she might feel embarassed that she is talking to her in the presence of her friends younger one,i said better.

Infact ehen.smh

Sometimes I wonder what happens to people that totally hardens their hearts. That woman just admitted that she has an 11 year old slave. They need to start being more serious about cases like these in Nigeria. When they find this sort of thing the parents of the child, the agent (slave trader), and the people that bought her should all be charged to court.

Domestic staff should only be adults and as such the employer has no responsibility to pay for their education. They should be allowed the rights of any other employee. I am not sure why people cannot run their homes themselves. Look at this foolish woman in this story who basically is so useless that an 11 year old child can even raise her children and run her house. Shameless cow.

13 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 11:47am On Nov 03, 2013
kulyie: I remember some time ago i went to greet my aunt and so we were jisting and the next thing she said was that i was about goig to my friends house in an hours time before you came,give some minutes,let me go and dress up so we will go together but meanwhile eat.i said ok,so i went to the pot to serve myself.so anyway,i was done with the food,left it in the kitchen and then we both left the house.when we got to her friends house,we exchanged pleaseantries and my aunty asked her friend that she has been looking at this house since,its only you and your husbands bedroom, kids bedroom and play room you guys have,where does your house help sleep.the friend said in the kitchen on the floor.my auntys eyes turned towards me and i looked at her too in shock.i said concrete floor? She said ehen.i said ok,where is she now? The woman said she has gone to pick her kids from school,i said what about her,isnt she in school? She looked at me strange and said why should she be in school,na me born am,abi na me go pay for her school fees when i get 2 pikin wey me and my husband still dey struggle to pay their school fees.my aunty interjected and said ok so how do you compensate her for all the chores shes doing,she said i have paid off the agent who brought her so it is as good as i bought her.she doesnt have any right to anything in this house except food and i must make sure she has washed my childrens school uniform,socks,dishes,everybody has eating before she eats.i had to cut in and said aunty thats not fair na.even though no one knows what youre doing to her and she is vulnerable,God is seeing you o,dont let him visit his judgement upon you through your kids.she said abegiiiiii,spare me.if i send her to school now,she will start getting conscious of herself and her looks and she will start competing with me.i said haba aunty,an 11 year old girl.she said,you you dont even know anything,wait till you get in my shoes.anyway to cut the long story short,when we left her place and my aunty was driving in the car,i said aunty mi, she said aburo,i said can i advise you,she said,i am listening.i noded and said this woman you call your friend,i dont like your relationship with her.this is not the kind of woman you should be hanging around with.God forbid eveil,if your enemy dies and for one reason or the other your child stays with her,just no that your childs life will be messed up.imagine how she is treating her house help as if she is not even a human being.such a little girl like that,an illiterate, worstill sleeping in the kitchen and eating the remenants of everyones plate packed together.that is what we do for our dog.that girl is too small for that na.my aunty said,well,thats true,i will talk to her but i had the intention of talking to her however not in your presence because she might feel embarassed that she is talking to her in the presence of her friends younger one,i said better.

Infact ehen.smh

This nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Yes. It is true and that woman is not the only one who treats housemaids like dogs in Nigeria.
Paying for a housemaid through an agent is child trafficking and is a crime against humanity.
Both the trafficker and the employer are guilty and will be prosecuted.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 11:55am On Nov 03, 2013
specialguest: I have a maid who sleeps in my room, eats with me and inherits most of my clothes. Recently i enrolled her in a very good government school . Did i also mention that i opened an account for her where i pay in her monthly allowance ? Ooo and i drop her off in school every morning on my way to work. She is a very good girl and i am determined to sponsor her education to any level she decides to study. Most people residing in my estate actually think we are closely related and i like to keep it that way at least she wont be tempted to steal my stuff or harm me since her basic needs are catered for.

Girls, ladies, women, mothers, mamalets, please endeavor to treat your maids as if they were your sisters or children. This is the 21st century the era of child labour has passed.

You are a role model worthy of emulation.
Please, permit me to use your example in the documentary we are going to produce on this subject. Kulyie's eye witness account is heart breaking and will also be documented.
The co-sponsors are reading all the comments.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 12:19pm On Nov 03, 2013
Please, view and share this important video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRMPAXCFs4

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by specialguest(f): 3:49pm On Nov 03, 2013
Orikinla:

You are a role model worthy of emulation.
Please, permit me to use your example in the documentary we are going to produce on this subject. Kulyie's eye witness account is heart breaking and will also be documented.
The co-sponsors are reading all the comments.

Permission granted and i pray we all learn to become our brother's keeper.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by wwwkaycom(m): 4:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
I used to know a family back then at Iju-Ishaga, Lagos. This family brought a small girl from Anambra State as househelp, they dont know her from adam, infact, it was someone who helped them to find her. The madam of the house told her hubby one day that since the girl dont have much to do while they were at work, that she should be sent to the govt pry schl in their neighbourhood. The man obliged and the girl was registered in pry 1 at age 9. She was the best pupil in her class throughout her stay in that school. She later got to Iju Grammar School at the age of 13, finished at 19 and cleared all her WAEC papers 9at once. This family was so happy to enrol her at OAU and later Nigerian Law School, VI. Today Chioma the former house girl is a Lawyer and is working with the court of appeal, married to a doctor and doing so well. She told me this story herself. She on her own has 5 girls in secondary school now. Dear friends, can you see how far a little kindness shown to a little housegirl can go. She says to whoever cares to listen that apart from God in her life, the family of Dr and Mrs Nwalanga brought her to where she is today, please, show a little kindness to that househelp today, it will have multiplier effect tomorrow, happy sunday.

32 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Orikinla(m): 6:27pm On Nov 03, 2013
wwwkaycom:
I used to know a family back then at Iju-Ishaga, Lagos. This family brought a small girl from Anambra State as househelp, they dont know her from adam, infact, it was someone who helped them to find her. The madam of the house told her hubby one day that since the girl dont have much to do while they were at work, that she should be sent to the govt pry schl in their neighbourhood. The man obliged and the girl was registered in pry 1 at age 9. She was the best pupil in her class throughout her stay in that school. She later got to Iju Grammar School at the age of 13, finished at 19 and cleared all her WAEC papers 9at once. This family was so happy to enrol her at OAU and later Nigerian Law School, VI. Today Chioma the former house girl is a Lawyer and is working with the court of appeal, married to a doctor and doing so well. She told me this story herself. She on her own has 5 girls in secondary school now. Dear friends, can you see how far a little kindness shown to a little housegirl can go. She says to whoever cares to listen that apart from God in her life, the family of Dr and Mrs Nwalanga brought her to where she is today, please, show a little kindness to that househelp today, it will have multiplier effect tomorrow, happy sunday.
Wow!
What an amazing story.
See what sending the housemaid to school has done!

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by greatgod2012(f): 7:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
wwwkaycom:

imagine!
If this woman had fell into a wicked hand, that is how her destiny would have been wasted away.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by bigt2(m): 8:10pm On Nov 03, 2013
No, because we don't even have an housemaid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Tunapa9ja: 8:12pm On Nov 03, 2013
Ok
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by itzsuave(m): 8:13pm On Nov 03, 2013
We r in d 21st century for crying out loud!!! angry
Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by AjanleKoko: 8:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
Sending one's house help to school should be a private affair, and not a matter for the public to judge.
But I guess this applies to those people who utilize children as house-helps.

In the first place, you're breaking the law. Sending them to school isn't going to change that, or make it better. Employ only legally-independent domestics, stop promoting child labour! If you want to send a child to school, do it. Don't make them your housemaid first angry

23 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by ajadematanle: 8:16pm On Nov 03, 2013
Stylishrita: Do unto others........... Its a thing of shame A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ pain that some 'big' people enslave or rather oppress other people's children. They often tend to forget the promises they made in d beginning. Every child is entitled to quality education irrespective of who they r. May God help us.

What's wrong in having maid

1 Like

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by iamswizz(m): 8:19pm On Nov 03, 2013
Why should i send sexkills to school?

6 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by Irises(m): 8:21pm On Nov 03, 2013
Naija. you people can write oo. the op asked a question.. i was thinking i will see something like YES or NO.. all this writings dey kill battery

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? by everyday: 8:22pm On Nov 03, 2013
I do not have a housemaid but planning on having one soon.If i do she will go to school

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 17 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / 10 Cogent Qualities To Instill In Your Little Children / Missing Younger Brother - Kelechi Victor Agomuo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.