Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,446 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday (9698 Views)

Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / Onyenewe-Motors: Access Banks Shut In Enugu Due To Lack Of MONEY to pay DEBTOR!! / Prices Of Food Items Soar In Lagos Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by dridowu: 2:14pm On Nov 01, 2013
Traders in Lagos State, western Nigeria, are apprehensive that markets will be shut tomorrow for the 70th birthday celebration of the Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu.

Some of the traders who spoke with P.M.NEWS wondered why markets should be closed again barely five days after which markets in the state were shut in honour of the newly installed Iyaloja General of Nigeria, Mrs. Folashade Tinubu-Ojo, and the official commemoration of the 70th birthday anniversary of Oba Akiolu.

A trader at Balogun Market, identified as Chimezie Benjamin, said it is quite worrisome that markets should be closed twice within five days.

Another trader who deals in textile materials said she is yet to make up for the loss recorded because of the closure of markets on Tuesday.

Traders at Jankara market situated on the Island are also apprehensive about the impending closure.

Although traders at the Tejuosho market are yet to be briefed about it, some of the traders are already reaching out to their regular customers to come and purchase their wares so they will not be taken by surprise if markets are shut tomorrow.

As at the time of filing this report efforts to confirm the development from the Iga Idunganran palace of the monarch proved abortive.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/11/01/markets-to-be-shut-tomorrow-for-oba-akiolus-birthday/
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Chamackh(m): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
What then is the noise about mega city? Just asking o

3 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
Chamackh: What then is the noise about mega city? Just asking o
Go and ask the obi of onitsha

17 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Chamackh(m): 3:08pm On Nov 01, 2013
Obi of Onitsha doesn't close market during Ofala.

7 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
Chamackh: Obi of Onitsha doesn't close market during Ofala.
Then go back to onitsha where your market wont be closed

27 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by BabaEleko(m): 3:43pm On Nov 01, 2013
It's a long age tradition. This happens during Oyekan's reign. It's a cultural thing so make una stfu in advance to other zombies wey go comment after me or go back to Onitsha or Aba as Lakhadimar advised.

8 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by 1MCN: 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
Baba_Eleko: It's a long age tradition. This happens during Oyekan's reign. It's a cultural thing so make una stfu in advance to other more sensible folks wey go comment after me or go back to Onitsha or Aba as Lakhadimar advised.
Friend, I don't basically have a problem with the first line of your argument that it's the agelong tradition of the local people, as I can't decide for a people what should constitute their tradition or how they should celebrate their feasts (although this is not even a traditionally canonized festival--just a birthday celebration of the local head). But I have this feeling that if exactly this same kind of thing happens in other persons clime or is sanctioned by other people's religious, traditional or political beliefs you won't come up with the same kind of defense you've just put forward. Like I said, I respect our diversities in traditions and the passion with which we hold them. But I also respect the respect others respect others's passions.

9 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2013
ladipo, trinity n autoparts to be closed too by baba oloja grin cheesy cool
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by DuduNegro: 4:09am On Nov 02, 2013
Babaloja of Ladipo market will be celebrating birthday also...in November.

We go close road and wear aso ebi. We have aso ebi for emeka, chibuzor and obi. we need your head measurements to fit caps.

12 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by sEyi6: 4:57am On Nov 02, 2013
Even the die-hard Yorubas(Osun) do not close markets for kings birthday and other ceremonies, Lagos should soften the pedal on this constant market shutdown over one ceremony or the other.

2 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by 0monnakoda: 5:45am On Nov 02, 2013
lakhadimar: Then go back to onitsha where your market wont be closed

SIMPLES!!!

Onitsha Market the biggest market in the Milky Way
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Trailii: 7:45am On Nov 02, 2013
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Trailii: 7:47am On Nov 02, 2013
Respect your host culture and tradition or ready to b deported back to your caves. Dis is lagos not nnewi or orlu. In lagbaja's voice; eko lowa, ibi ki se abule yin, na mega city Ɣøû dey dis place no b your faaadaa's farm ooooooo

7 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by ikweremilitant: 7:52am On Nov 02, 2013
dridowu: http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/11/01/markets-to-be-shut-tomorrow-for-oba-akiolus-birthday/

Traders in Lagos State, western Nigeria, are apprehensive that markets will be shut tomorrow for the 70th birthday celebration of the Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu.

Some of the traders who spoke with P.M.NEWS wondered why markets should be closed again barely five days after which markets in the state were shut in honour of the newly installed Iyaloja General of Nigeria, Mrs. Folashade Tinubu-Ojo, and the official commemoration of the 70th birthday anniversary of Oba Akiolu.

A trader at Balogun Market, identified as Chimezie Benjamin, said it is quite worrisome that markets should be closed twice within five days.

Another trader who deals in textile materials said she is yet to make up for the loss recorded because of the closure of markets on Tuesday.

Traders at Jankara market situated on the Island are also apprehensive about the impending closure.

Although traders at the Tejuosho market are yet to be briefed about it, some of the traders are already reaching out to their regular customers to come and purchase their wares so they will not be taken by surprise if markets are shut tomorrow.

As at the time of filing this report efforts to confirm the development from the Iga Idunganran palace of the monarch proved abortive.
were re d anti gej noise makers.so d closing of d market wil nt inconvinence anyone bt if na jona wife una go knw wetn una go tok

15 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by gurnam: 8:21am On Nov 02, 2013
Well...those that don't like it can only grumble and sulk around...you hardly can change the situation..

I think I like the new tone in Lagos. Normally they don't make noise about some of these things...but some people have taken the tolerance and accomodating nature of these people for stupidity and cowardice to the point of calling their ancestral land a no man's land.

I believe all these recent shows are calculated moves to show that indeed Lagos belong to some families..

5 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Trailii: 9:15am On Nov 02, 2013
gurnam: Well...those that don't like it can only grumble and sulk around...you hardly can change the situation..

I think I like the new tone in Lagos. Normally they don't make noise about some of these things...but some people have taken the tolerance and accomodating nature of these people for stupidity and cowardice to the point of calling their ancestral land a no man's land.

I believe all these recent shows are calculated moves to show that indeed Lagos belong to some families..
and let them expect more victimization. If dey can't live by our rule Bleep off to ur forest
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by naptu2: 10:30am On Nov 02, 2013
That would be very strange, because the Oba issued a statement that he wants a low key birthday, no parties, events or celebrations, just prayers. He also said that he doesn't want any gifts and that those who wish to give him gifts should donate such gifts to orphanages.

Note that PM News was not able to confirm the story from the Palace.

2 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by LMAyedun(m): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2013
Na Wah ooh!!
That's totally uncalledfor.
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by juman(m): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2013
Bad idea.

The traditional rulers should also always fear God The Almighty.

Closing markets and disturbing the masses from earning their living is bad and bad.

Would the masses be paid the profit they supposed to make that day?

We should be moving forward not backward.

All power belong to our Creator, The Merciful.

2 Likes

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by holyvirgin: 10:36am On Nov 02, 2013
Hmmmm..... Closing the market cos of the birthday of a man about to meet his ancestors? Some people are supporting the trend and call it "tradition"?
What has tradition got to do with people's livelihood and business? Can't he celebrate his birhday @ home without closing down markets? Must the african man always shamelessly violate rights all in the name of tradition abi birthday?

Brainshed mofo's are hear supporting him knowing fully well that the decision to close markets is pure wickedness and unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by eluquenson(m): 10:37am On Nov 02, 2013
Eko oni baje o
Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Edoboy1(m): 10:39am On Nov 02, 2013
Hmmmm Nairaland. When will all these insults end? They say we are the leaders of tomorow, I wonder what is causing so much hatred in the youths of now adays. This is a bad trend, we ought to advice our selves. @ the topic, no comment, don't want any wahala.

1 Like

Re: Markets To Be Shut For Oba Akiolu's Birthday by Ismahill(m): 10:41am On Nov 02, 2013
1MCN:
Friend, I don't basically have a problem with the first line of your argument that it's the agelong tradition of the local people, as I can't decide for a people what should constitute their tradition or how they should celebrate their feasts (although this is not even a traditionally canonized festival--just a birthday celebration of the local head). But I have this feeling that if exactly this same kind of thing happens in other persons clime or is sanctioned by other people's religious, traditional or political beliefs you won't come up with the same kind of defense you've just put forward. Like I said, I respect our diversities in traditions and the passion with which we hold them. But I also respect the respect others respect others's passions.
OLODO,U B FIRST GRADE ODE. Wetin b ur own.if Lagos no pay u. go collect N3000 mk u deport urslf bck 2 ur village.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Leads In Startup Investments In Africa With 136 Deals / CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks / Fg, Cbn To Blame For Economic Woes — Waifem Dg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.