Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria (10152 Views)

Heavy Rainfall, Flooding, Malaria, Cholera Expected In Nigeria / Cholera Outbreak Claim 20 Lives In Ebonyi / Drinking Cold Water Causes Pot Belly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by JECBOSS: 6:02am On Nov 02, 2013
PHARMACEUTICAL Society of Nigeria (PSN) has attributed the increasing cases of cholera epidemic in many parts of Nigeria to consumption of sachet water, popularly called pure water, by most Nigerians.

Speaking at a press conference on the 86th National Conference of PSN, themed “Harmony 2013,” in Ilorin, on Thursday, the state chairman of the association, Chief Abdulmojeed Oderinde, said cholera was caused by lack of access to potable water, among other factors.

The PSN chairman, who called on elected office holders in three tiers of government to intensify efforts at providing potable water, added that people were not supposed to consume sachet water, which he said, was mostly unhygienic, if there was access to potable water by people.

Oderinde, who ranked access to potable water higher than food consumption, also identified other causes of cholera to include poverty, overpopulation and sickening or unhygienic environment.

The Kwara State PSN chairman also condemned salary disparity among health workers in the state, saying a situation whereby a medical doctor earns N180,000 monthly while a pharmacist gets N45,000 was discouraging.

He said out of a total 150 pharmacists in the state, only a few were employed by the state’s health sector, stressing that the development had led many qualified pharmacists to migrate and practise in neighbouring states.

He also said out of 16,000 pharmacists in the country, 5,000 practicse outside Nigeria, adding that an average of one pharmacist was available to about 10,000 people.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/25292-sachet-water-causes-cholera-—psn.html
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by abdulg: 6:08am On Nov 02, 2013
h

1 Like

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by eightsin(m): 6:10am On Nov 02, 2013
Is that so?
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 02, 2013
And we have been drinking it in the East for years now. PSN, na lie. The abokis should ask God what they have done to deserve such punishment like cholera. It's a plague, not a diseaseundecided
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Tolexander: 7:21am On Nov 02, 2013
Most of these sachet waters aren't pure at all and can be a good culturing medium for microorganisms which are very obvious as tiny particles in them on long storage.

1 Like

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 7:39am On Nov 02, 2013
Is this article REALLY 'bout pure water/cholera or about pharmacists,their pains and tales

Once there's an epidemic,everybody becomes an authority and analyst. Did they just notice that Nigerians drink pure water ?

2 Likes

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Tolexander: 7:52am On Nov 02, 2013
ifyalways: Is this article REALLY 'bout pure water/cholera or about pharmacists,their pains and tales

Once there's an epidemic,everybody becomes an authority and analyst. Did they just notice that Nigerians drink pure water ?
all join!

It's all about everything that concern the pharmacists and the present health issues.

There is an aspect of pharmacy that deals with the disease causing organisms like vibro cholerae that causes cholera known as pharmaceutical microbiology. Since the pharmacists are the people that will eventually take up the biotics to cure these organisms, why won't they talk about the source of disease?

They have to talk about their tales and pains since the gathering is all about their future.

4 Likes

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 8:58am On Nov 02, 2013
N160K v. N45K is discouraging..

I'd rather burn the pharmacy certificate than practise under such humiliation...

I value my intellectual ability than any organisation, body or government.

In other words, the governor and his cabinet should go and administer drugs to patients...

Come to think of it, why won't Cholera strike the populace? grin

Well it means more patients to the Doctors grin afterall they are already receiving the cash

Atleast if the government can't fund prevention & testing, they should be able to cure grin

I only pity the innocent patients sad
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 02, 2013
Blame it on NAFDAC.

1 Like

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Codedrock(m): 10:19am On Nov 02, 2013
emmysenior: Blame it on NAFDAC.
yes oo. Dem no dey inspect these things wella again. Na money be koko.

1 Like

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 02, 2013
Since Dora left NAFDAC
that commission has been inefficient
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 02, 2013
Na God dey save person.
Cos the nonsence i buy in ibadan as pure water is jst too much.
Wetin man go do na,we must drink water.
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 02, 2013
shocked borehole nko?
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by pendusky(m): 10:26am On Nov 02, 2013
Acidosis: N160K v. N45K is discouraging..

I'd rather burn the pharmacy certificate than practise under such humiliation...

I value my intellectual ability than any organisation, body or government.

In other words, the governor and his cabinet should go and administer drugs to patients...

Come to think of it, why won't Cholera strike the populace? grin

Well it means more patients to the Doctors grin afterall they are already receiving the cash

Atleast if the government can't fund prevention & testing, they should be able to cure grin

I only pity the innocent patients sad

U BELIEVE THIS POO?
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by HOTsnow(m): 10:26am On Nov 02, 2013
undecided indeed...

BRB
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nikapetrelli(f): 10:31am On Nov 02, 2013
Choi, n everybody for dis country takes sachet water,Na to begin drink Stream or River water
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by dridowu: 10:32am On Nov 02, 2013
With 10naira u can contact cholera so becareful
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by speeder(m): 10:33am On Nov 02, 2013
Nigerians , hold your leaders accountable . Insist they deliver !!!!!
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 02, 2013
D smallest amount of bottle water is Wazo (50naira). So i shld b drink bottle water everytym, u knw how much go b in a months?
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by kb83(m): 10:46am On Nov 02, 2013
A word is enough 4 d wise,most of dis pure water factories dont purify dere water anymore d just pack it and sell,we as individuals dont bother as well we just drink clean mouth,God into ur hands I commit my the people of my Fatherland
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Dannylux: 10:53am On Nov 02, 2013
And we ironically call it 'pure water', isn't it funny?

1 Like

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Exjoker(m): 11:06am On Nov 02, 2013
NOA @ it again...dey still intent 2 ban pure in Nigeria...God dey watch #TeampureWater
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Olugbenger(m): 11:06am On Nov 02, 2013

He also said out of 16,000 pharmacists in the country, 5,000 practicse outside Nigeria, adding that an average of one pharmacist was available to about 10,000people.
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Exjoker(m): 11:09am On Nov 02, 2013
Michael_park: D smallest amount of bottle water is Wazo (50naira). So i shld b drink bottle water everytym, u knw how much go b in a months?
And a sachet water is even biga dan it in quantity...FG lef us alone
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 02, 2013
Olugbenger:
shocked shocked shocked
How can a pharmacist be earning 45k per month? I don't believe this trash. As a fresh pharmacist in Ekiti State u earn close to 140k. Even as an intern pharmacist u earn up to around 150k....I think Kwara State is sick, plus other health workers there who sit down n watch in laxity. Ori yin ti foka sibe in Kwara.

4 Likes

Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Ocutegan(m): 11:28am On Nov 02, 2013
Please, is this how pharmacists are fed peanuts all over Nigeria I don't want to graduate and be in such position o FG abeg
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by Iceman296: 11:31am On Nov 02, 2013
So what then Should we Drink, Because That's what 85% Of Nigerians Drink.

Sachet water Companies should Just Enhance their Production to Prevent the Mass Outbreak of Cholera!
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by skyscraperTM(m): 11:42am On Nov 02, 2013
So long i'm concerned. They are only looking for something to blame for the incompetence. Firstly, they said it was the cause of abacha, now pure water, who we go come believe now?! . . .
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by nosike3(m): 11:48am On Nov 02, 2013
Tolexander: all join!

It's all about everything that concern the pharmacists and the present health issues.

There is an aspect of pharmacy that deals with the disease causing organisms like vibro cholerae that causes cholera known as pharmaceutical microbiology. Since the pharmacists are the people that will eventually take up the biotics to cure these organisms, why won't they talk about the source of disease?

They have to talk about their tales and pains since the gathering is all about their future.
Sorry... You are mistaken..
It is the work of biochemist,microbiologist and lab scientist to analyse micro-organisms and their pathogenesis..
Pharmacist are purely into drug production and dispension..
Hope you are clear?
Re: Sachet Water Causes Cholera - Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria by nosike3(m): 11:53am On Nov 02, 2013
Exjoker: NOA @ it again...dey still intent 2 ban pure in Nigeria...God dey watch #TeampureWater

Please what is it with this #team this team that?
#team tecno,#team endtime,#team.......
Please I believe age restriction should be in place here before jobless teenagers invade this forum and make it lose its already dying respect....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola Urges Lagosians To Walk Rather Than Drive Whenever Possible / COVID-19 Update For December 3 2020 In Nigeria / COVID-19: Itel Mobile Partners With Lagos Food Bank To Give Back To Ipaja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.