Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,706 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse (47049 Views)

Picture Of Solar Eclipse As Seen In Ibadan / Live Updates On Today's Solar Eclipse / Nigeria To Experience A Solar Eclipse On November 3rd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by nickxtra(m): 10:54am On Nov 02, 2013
Well done Moderator for the review and editing.great job
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Dynasty92: 10:55am On Nov 02, 2013
Na wa o..is it d@ risky?
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by pendusky(m): 10:56am On Nov 02, 2013
Archmed: oh...I wish grandma were alive so she could experience dis and I could explain to her dat d similar experience she told me she had 65yrs ago was not due to a leopard giving birth buh purely eclipse of d sun.
hehehehehe i watched the movie apocalypto, when the eclipse occurred, they stop sacrificing people saying the gods hav answered their prayers.. grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by esshman(m): 10:57am On Nov 02, 2013
@op jus dim ya eye. na so i view am in 2006
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by razzberry2(f): 10:58am On Nov 02, 2013
Abeg no fex..how long is this eclipse gonna last? Because 2mao is my Birthday n i nid 2 go out n have fun.
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 02, 2013
Na by force to look? If you know look nko wetin go happen?

1 Like

Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by yorex2011: 10:59am On Nov 02, 2013
Dynasty92: Na wa o..is it d@ risky?
think of it this way...if u put on a tap and use a finger to block some part of the tap opening u wud notice that there will be a faster and more violent gush of water from the little opening left...
the sun is the tap and the moon is your finger, the little crescent formed is d small opening, pls try to avoid looking directly at the sun during the eclipse...in fact never look at the sun directly for any reason anytime of the year...cos u'll not know your eyes are damaged till its too late

1 Like

Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by donphilopus: 11:01am On Nov 02, 2013
Ok everywhere good
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by yorex2011: 11:02am On Nov 02, 2013
razzberry2: Abeg no fex..how long is this eclipse gonna last? Because 2mao is my Birthday n i nid 2 go out n have fun.
no one is stopping u from having ur fun, consider it nature's gift to you :-)
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Chibby90: 11:04am On Nov 02, 2013
can't wait 2 experience it 2mao...sunglas sellers on point buh dis one pas sunglas o
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by leggo: 11:04am On Nov 02, 2013
Look through a wrapper of eclairés
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Sike(m): 11:08am On Nov 02, 2013
I'm sure i'll be sleeping by then.
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by sakaguchi(m): 11:11am On Nov 02, 2013
pendusky: for nigerians like sexkillz nothing gonna happen, cant wait for tomorow though, meanwhile Arsenal are loosing out today!
Lol! Why you talk like that? Him be albino? smiley smiley smiley cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Dannylux: 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
k
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by eightsin(m): 11:24am On Nov 02, 2013
At least one unfortunate Nigerian will be ignorant enuf to get himsef/hersef blind tomorrow...i jst pity dat person.
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 02, 2013
what tha phuck are we suppose to do then...dig the ground and put our head?!

1 Like

Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by yemi2plus(m): 11:29am On Nov 02, 2013
Will it happen in South-South(Benin City) in particular?
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 02, 2013
No! You should jump into the lagoon,you will be safe there...
Mzsolex: what tha phuck are we suppose to do then...dig the ground and put our head?!
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 02, 2013
Tomorrow some pastors will tell their 'sheep' that the world is coming to an end!
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by 190: 11:36am On Nov 02, 2013
Why must You Nigerians look at all

Sun dey share money abeg continue with your business

wen the thing tire e go commot

the eclipise is from the devil - devil wan use am blind nigerians flee nigerians flee angry
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by kingk(m): 11:38am On Nov 02, 2013
esshman: @op jus dim ya eye. na so i view am in 2006
You're on point joor, 2006 own I look am well well but I looked at it as if am looking through the tiniest hole grin grin.........but I saw the thing live and clear.
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by kennytidistar(m): 11:39am On Nov 02, 2013
YOU DON'T NEED TO LOOK DIRECTLY TO THE SKY, JUST PLACE A LARGE BOWL OF WATER DIRECTLY PROPORTIONATE TO THE SKY AND AND LOOK STRAIGHT INTO THE WATER WITH YOUR NAKED EYES , IS NOT GONNA DO YOU ANY HARM JUST WATCH THE MOON AND THE SUN FIGHTING OVER ONE WAY, NAWA O SO THERE IS ONE WAY ON AIRSPACE
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by kingk(m): 11:39am On Nov 02, 2013
peppy luv: Tomorrow some pastors will tell their 'sheep' that the world is coming to an end!
grin grin grin
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by kinharold(m): 11:40am On Nov 02, 2013
Please, what time of the day is it expected to start and for how long will it last?
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by kingk(m): 11:42am On Nov 02, 2013
yemi2plus: Will it happen in South-South(Benin City) in particular?
gringringrin........... Eyaaa it's not for the Benin's ok don't worry yourself, it for important part of naija tongue
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by kingk(m): 11:44am On Nov 02, 2013
kinharold: Please, what time of the day is it expected to start and for how long will it last?
Oga it's from 9pm till done grin
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by yorex2011: 11:46am On Nov 02, 2013
kingk:
Oga it's from 9pm till done grin

done ké?

1 Like

Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Pdizzle(m): 11:49am On Nov 02, 2013
Pple wey go luk go still luk, moreover ive witnessed one and looked at it
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by sCun: 12:01pm On Nov 02, 2013
yorex2011: It is never safe to look directly at the Sun except during a total eclipse; a partial or annular eclipse, even when the Sun is mostly covered, can still cause permanent eye damage, even though you might not feel any discomfort.
There is no pain when the retina is being burned, and the resulting visual symptoms do not occur until at least several hours after the injury has occurred - by which time it is far too late.
Looking at the Sun through any kind of optical aid (binoculars, a telescope, or even a camera's viewfinder) is extremely dangerous, and can cause permanent blindness.

Sunglasses do not provide anything like adequate protection, as they do not block the wavelengths of light which are likely to damage your eyes, or reduce the intensity of the visible light sufficiently.

Viewing the Sun indirectly, by projecting its image onto a screen, is far safer. You can make a projector with a simple pinhole. However, never look through the projector -- only look at the image on the screen.
note that even the bucket of water reflection ish is still not safe

Another easy way is to crisscross your fingers waffle style to the sunlight, which will project the
partial eclipse on the ground in front of you, If you're near a tree, look underneath the sun-dappled canopy of leaves, and you might be able to see the projections of countless mini-eclipses on the ground.
You can also get a piece of cardboard, punch hole in it with a nail, and then angle the cardboard to project the sun's light on another piece of cardboard. "You'll see a projected image … when the sun goes into eclipse, you'll see a crescent The smaller the hole, the sharper image you can get.
I hate it when people copy and paste without citing the source.
www.hermit.org/eclipse/what_safety.html
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 02, 2013
when wil i ever experience a full eclipse na. The south should have gotten a test of it this time.
Re: How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2013
Simply don't look,later;you'll see Pictures and watch Videos.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) / Big Snake Caught By Security Guards (Photos) / A Car Made By University Of Benin Students (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.