Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings (95813 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 10:25pm On Jul 10, 2008
Hi

I am looking for Ikwerre Names and their Meaning.

Who can help me?

Greetings
Zhea
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Queenisha: 10:27pm On Jul 10, 2008
Ngozi,Chika,Nnanna,Ihuoma,Amadi,Chioma.Nkechinyere,Emeka
There are no Ikwerre names.
"Ikwerre names" are Igbo names

6 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 10:29pm On Jul 10, 2008
Hi

Tell this my husband! He want our baby to be named by an ikwerre name. he will never ever accept an igbo name! as he told me there are differences.

Zhea
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Queenisha: 10:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
Let him go ahead and name the child Ikwerre then or Ikwerrenisha grin
You can't get more Ikwerretic than that

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by tpia: 10:46pm On Jul 10, 2008
from the little I know, Ikwerre names seem Igbo.

Does your husband have any suggestions, since he's so adamant Ikwerres have names that are different from Igbo names?

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 10:50pm On Jul 10, 2008
well , thats the biggest part of the problem. no suggestions from his side till now.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by tpia: 11:05pm On Jul 10, 2008
eh, maybe you can just suggest naming the baby after his mom or dad, whichever applies.

men.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by RedHotChic(f): 4:17am On Jul 11, 2008
Let him go ahead and name the child Ikwerre then or Ikwerrenisha Grin
You can't get more Ikwerretic than that
Lmao
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 8:37am On Jul 11, 2008
any ikwerre person here?

@tpia
in my culture its not allowed to name a baby after a living person. its like to wish this person death.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 10:03am On Jul 11, 2008
Hi again

In the other thread (igbo names) i found the name Kilali as a Rivers Name. To which tribe does this name belong?

Did somebody ever hear about the name "Amalu" (Short form of Amaluchukwu). I think its an igbo name, abi?

Zhea
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by youngies(m): 1:23pm On Jul 11, 2008
It is very unlikely that you will find any Ikwere name that is not Igbo. Stop the furtile search, your husband knows better
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by tpia: 2:37am On Jul 12, 2008
Zhea:

@tpia
in my culture its not allowed to name a baby after a living person. its like to wish this person death.

that's surprising. Are you Nigerian? which area?

In Nigeria its common to see people named ( insert name here)Junior, after their dad.   

In most places, its considered an honor. You hear of people naming their child after the doctor who handled the delivery, etc.

by the way, anywhere you see Chukwu, it only has a meaning in Igbo, to the best of my knowledge.

The topic is actually a sensitive one, as you've probably already guessed from your husband's attitude.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ow11(m): 11:08am On Jul 12, 2008
Queenisha:

Ngozi,Chika,Nnanna,Ihuoma,Amadi,Chioma.Nkechinyere,Emeka
There are no Ikwerre names.
"Ikwerre names" are Igbo names

Tell me if Owhonda, Nkanunye, Nyekazi, Mekini, Chizi, Orowhuo and Ovunda are Igbo names! As always,displaying ignorance online is a Faux Pas one shouldn't engage in. Write only about what you know

@Poster

These are some more. But Ikwerre language is very close to Igbo and so you can also have typical Igbo names like Chika, Ngozi,Ihuoma,Chioma,Emeka etc. Kilali is a Kalabari name. There are about 15 languages in RV state. So you can have names like Emeka , Tonye, Leedum, Ukarajit, Mpakaboari, Orafiri, Amadike and Chukwudi all from RV state.

7 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by echelon(m): 11:14am On Jul 12, 2008
ow11:

Tell me if Owhonda, Nkanunye, Nyekazi, Mekini, Chizi, Orowhuo and Ovunda are Igbo names!

Please can you give the english meaning of these names. I'm sure the original poster would love to know. cool
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 1:20pm On Jul 12, 2008
Hi

Thank you very much!

@ow11

Oh abeg give me the meanings of the names and if i dont ask from you too much, bring some more names.

@tpia
i am not nigerian ;-)

Zhea
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by udezue(m): 9:55am On Jul 13, 2008
Ikwere names are simply Igbo names. Enough all this nkewa self-hatred going on please.

Chizi, Odili (my 2nd name), Chimso, Amadi, Chika, Okpobiri, Obiageli, Okolo, Okoro, Ofili, Obi, Ratamma, Uche, Chidi, Amaechi, Soludo, Kamarachukwu, Obasi, Ede, Elochukwu,are all Igbo (Ikwere) names but sometimes are more common in some areas than other areas depending on the dialect.

Sometimes people make the assumption that I am from Rivers state coz my name is Odili. I only have relatives from Rivers and yes also my Arochukwu aka Aro-Ikwere people there.

My name Udezue to the common Enugu man if u put in a sentence like this "Ka Udezue" means "Let there be enough lotion / body oil" or "lotion in abundance"
To the Awka man who knows the meaning it is "let there be enough PEACE" 

UDE in Awka and surrounding areas and UDO in other Igbo places mean the the same thing "PEACE".

In Arochukwu there areas that say Obasi and other areas closer to Akwaibom --Efik-Ibibios say Abasi and they all mean God. Chukwu also means God in Arochukwu.
Ofong, Inyang, Archibong are all common names in Arochukwu, Abiriba, Ohafia areas but they still say we are Igbos not Arochukwu just because of some dialectical differences and non-typical or Igbo-like names some of them have. I am part Aro and Awka. Even I used to not understand Awka dialect and Arochukwu / Ajali dialect still sound foreign to me but hey I am learning fast and using their own terms. Elochukwu is simply an Aro / Ajali name but it is still Igbo an name

Okolo is the same as Okoro but Okolo is more common in Delta state and even in Amaobia and Awka areas.

BTN they are all Igbos and are related to each other and some of the names are going to be very different. I must admit some names in Ikwere land also sound non Igbo to me.

8 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by romeo(m): 12:59pm On Jul 13, 2008
ow11:

Tell me if Owhonda, Nkanunye, Nyekazi, Mekini, Chizi, Orowhuo and Ovunda are Igbo names! As always,displaying ignorance online is a Faux Pas one shouldn't engage in. Write only about what you know

grin grin grin grin grin A pot calling a kettle darky wink

@topic
Tell your confused Husband to tell you the non-igbo ikwere names wink

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 9:00am On Jul 14, 2008
thank you

i dont give up to get more ikwerre names

please help me
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ow11(m): 12:37pm On Jul 14, 2008
@zhea

Yes giving your child an Igbo name isn't out of order because like I said earlier the two languages are painfully similar. One can argue that Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo but that is a discussion for another day.It is debatable how you determine when a dialect becomes a language.

However, here are some more names that are particular to Ikwerre people

Okogbule
Nmerukini
Kinikanwo
Chimenem

But why would your husband not know Ikwerre names if he is Ikwerre?

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by echelon(m): 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2008
ow11:

Yes giving your child an Igbo name isn't out of order because like I said earlier the two languages are painfully similar.

Painfully similar? Why so? Why painful?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ow11(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2008
echelon:

Painfully similar? Why so? Why painful?

Painful used in that sentence doesnt mean pain it is used to describe in one word how difficult and tiring it can be to differentiate both of them because the differences are quite small.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2008
Hi

well , my husband told me some names that i could not even pronounce it myself. than he told me names like "chioma". but for me thats a typicall igbo-name, as many igbos in europe use that name for their babygirls.

my husband left PH many years ago. by this age he was too young to deal with this subject. and i believe that some values are becoming more important with the age and maturity.

as it is so difficult to find an nice name (both for nigeria and europe) i asked now his brother for support. i hope he will consult his family to compile a list with names and meanings for me.

of course it would be much easier to find an igbo name. there are many that i could choose, but its the wish of my husband (and his family) to name the child by an ikwerre name (or an name that is known as a name that is normally used by ikwerre people). if i could enlarge my search criteria my favorites would be:

Girl
Amalu (short form from Amaluchukwu)
Kilali (pearl - kalabar ?!)
Chinani (i've seen this name in the other thread)
Chinua
Nneka

Boy
Amadi
Emeka
Chinedu
Obinna

the only ikwerre-name i know that i like is: Nyema (but i am not even shure if it is for girl or boy and if it is ikwerre?!)

i was never in naija and i hope i will go to visit there soon (latest 2010). but i know that a name is very important for a child because it is one of the few connections to his roots.

zhea
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by tpia: 3:22pm On Jul 14, 2008
@ owl11:

just asking: I'm not Igbo, but surely you know names like Nyekazi, Chizi, and Chimenem, are at first glance, obviously Igbo.

even some non-Nigerians will recognize them as Igbo names.

Nyekazi is Onyekazi nah.

I think I get the general context here though.

There's also a part of Edo state where people have Yoruba names but arent affiliated with the Yoruba tribe in general. My friend from there has a Yoruba name but said she doesnt know the meaning of her name.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 3:29pm On Jul 14, 2008
in many names i see "nye" - what does this mean? is it igbo or ikwerre or both?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ow11(m): 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2008
@tpia

I said earlier that the two languages are close and so names can seem familiar but may or maynot have a meaning in either language.

I don't think Igbos answer typical Ikwerre names like Bekwele, Aleruchi, Alekiri or Nwenenda. Although I would like an Igbo person to tell me if they answer names like that. However, Most typical Igbo names are used by Ikwerre people like Azubuike. I do not find this odd.

Even if I am to assume Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo, It still doesn't mean they wouldn't have names peculiar to them. I think Ihuoma and Iheoma mean the same thing but are particular to different parts of Igboland and would assume anyone from a particular area would name their child according to their area ( if Iheoma is particular to your area, it would be strange to name your child Ihuoma and vice versa).

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by echelon(m): 5:35pm On Jul 14, 2008
Zhea:

in many names i see "nye" - what does this mean? is it igbo or ikwerre or both?
nye in Igbo is the verb "to give"

Hence
Chinenye - God gives

ow11:

Even if I am to assume Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo, It still doesn't mean they wouldn't have names peculiar to them. I think Ihuoma and Iheoma mean the same thing but are particular to different parts of Igboland and would assume anyone from a particular area would name their child according to their area ( if Iheoma is particular to your area, it would be strange to name your child Ihuoma and vice versa).

In Igbo,

Ihuoma = Good face
Iheoma = Good thing

They are not the same, obviously.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Queenisha: 10:47pm On Jul 14, 2008
ow11:

@zhea

Yes giving your child an Igbo name isn't out of order because like I said earlier the two languages are painfully similar. One can argue that Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo but that is a discussion for another day.It is debatable how you determine when a dialect becomes a language.

However, here are some more names that are particular to Ikwerre people

Okogbule
Nmerukini
Kinikanwo
Chimenem

But why would your husband not know Ikwerre names if he is Ikwerre?

Look at this character.

Okogbule is the same as Okogbue
some Igbos will say Okogbuo depending on dialect.

Nmerukini simply means mmeregini,owerri people will say mmerenini,same six pence

Kinikanwo means ginikanwa it's just a a difference in the Ikwere Igbo dialect

Chimenem,pray tell is chi not God in Ikwere? and the verb "me" means to do.

before you open your mouth,do a little thinking.

or poster name the child ikwikwi aka owl, it must also be an Ikwerre name grin

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Queenisha: 10:55pm On Jul 14, 2008
ow11:

nda means nna meaning father.
so instead of Ogonnaya Ikwerre people say ogonda,same thing.
Mekini you should know what it means.
nye means to give you tell me whay kazi means in Ikwerre dialect
confused individual.
99.99% of Ikwerre names are simply Igbo names.
By your own admission Ikwerre is simply a dialect in the Igbo language that has metarmorphosed into a tribe for political reasons.

Anambras and Enugu state say Adaora,Imo and Abia call it adaoha are they 2 different words or just 2 different dialects.
Some Yoruba's say Oluyemi,others say Eluyemi,are they different languages or different dialects.

The poster asked for Ikwerre names all she needs to do is google Ogbakor Ikwerre anbd see the names of the people there and she'll see that they are Igbo names.

9 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Queenisha: 11:00pm On Jul 14, 2008
@ poster see the names of the Ogbakor Ikwerre USA and pick an Ikwerre abi Ikwerroid name

http://www.ikwerreusa.com/executives.htm

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 2:00pm On Jul 16, 2008
thanks , i've found this site some month ago. from there i got the name nyema (its not there anymore).
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 10:08pm On Jul 16, 2008
a friend found some names on www

Girls:
Chisaro - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God answered me”
Chisaru - Ikwere of Nigeria, “God answered one”
Chiwendu - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God owns life”
Chizi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God exists”
Ikechi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “the power of God”
Ogechi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God’s time”
Oriji - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “yam eater”
Orlunwere - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “second-born”
Oroma - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “good house”

Boys:
Amadioha - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “the god of thunder”
Chinyere - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God’s gift”
Chisaro - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God answered me”
Chisaru - Ikwere of Nigeria, “God answered one”
Chiwendu - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God owns life”
Chizi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God exists”
Epara - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “first-born son”
Ogechi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God’s time”
Oriji - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “yam eater”
Orlu - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “second-born”
Orluesilaru - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “third-born”

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ow11(m): 1:28pm On Jul 17, 2008
@ Queenisha

What is the Igbo variant of Nwenenda, Aleruchi and Bekwele? Would you call your child Mmeregini?

Earlier I tried to use an example but echelon corrected me. I should have used Ifeoma and Iheoma. The Ikwerre version is Homa. I believe they have a right to give unique names to their children even if you don't recognise them as different from Igbo.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba Incantations. . . . . / 4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media / List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.