Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings (95841 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by udezue(m): 11:30am On Jul 20, 2008
Zhea:

a friend found some names on www

Girls:
Chisaro - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God answered me”
Chisaru - Ikwere of Nigeria, “God answered one”
Chiwendu - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God owns life”
Chizi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God exists”
Ikechi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “the power of God”
Ogechi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God’s time”
Oriji - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “yam eater”
Orlunwere - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “second-born”
Oroma - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “good house”

Boys:
Amadioha - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “the god of thunder”
Chinyere - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God’s gift”
Chisaro - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God answered me”
Chisaru - Ikwere of Nigeria, “God answered one”
Chiwendu - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God owns life”
Chizi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God exists”
Epara - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “first-born son”
Ogechi - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “God’s time”
Oriji - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “yam eater”
Orlu - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “second-born”
Orluesilaru - Ikwerre of Nigeria, “third-born”

A lot of those names are common in Enugu state. Chizi is the same as Chidi same meaning.
Chisaro ---Chizara, Chinaza,
Epara--Opara (Owerri) --Okpara (I think Enugu and Anambra)
Ikechi -- that is my uncles name and he is from Arochukwu

Even Okolo (Anioma-Igbo) is the same as Okoro (in other Igbo towns)

So yes there are names that are unique to each town like Elochukwu, Ezuma, which are Arochukwu names, Chizi, Okpobiri, which are Ikwere, etc and then the common names in all Igbo land (Ikwere, Awka, Enugu, Abakiliki, etc) are Chika, Chike, Chinedu, Obi, etc.

There is nothing so unique about Ikwere, Awka, Ukwuani, etc. Historically Igbos have always lived in scattered independent settlements and the lack of centralization has made it possible for us to develop our individual unique but related and similar cultures and traditions across Igbo land. LET US EMBRACE OUR DIVERSITY NOT DIVIDE OURSELVES FOR SOME FRUITLESS POLITICAL REASONS.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ow11(m): 4:57pm On Jul 20, 2008
udezue:

There is nothing so unique about Ikwere, Awka, Ukwuani, etc. Historically Igbos have always lived in scattered independent settlements and the lack of centralization has made it possible for us to develop our individual unique but related and similar cultures and traditions across Igbo land. LET US EMBRACE OUR DIVERSITY NOT DIVIDE OURSELVES FOR SOME FRUITLESS POLITICAL REASONS.

Good point! that is probably the whole idea of the thread.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by biggjoe(m): 5:28pm On Jul 20, 2008
I wonder why all this fuss about Ikwerre and names. Now people have to go to a website to choose their names.

If the ikwerre people believe they are not Igbo, good for them.
But they should tell Nigerians which tribe they are.

If they are a tribe of their own then I think they are a new tribe. Probably started during the civil war. Thats when all the animosity and changing of names started. Thus the rave of adding 'R' as the first letter in the name of towns.

My input here is that if Ikwerre people are dissociating themselves from the Igbo tribe, then I think they have lost their identity.

Period.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Queenisha: 11:46pm On Jul 20, 2008
Even the name Ikwerre is even Igbo lipsrsealed
anyway, how does this add to my earnings?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Queenisha: 11:52pm On Jul 20, 2008
ow11:

@ Queenisha

What is the Igbo variant of Nwenenda, Aleruchi and Bekwele? Would you call your child Mmeregini?

Earlier I tried to use an example but echelon corrected me. I should have used Ifeoma and Iheoma. The Ikwerre version is Homa. I believe they have a right to give unique names to their children even if you don't recognise them as different from Igbo.

sweetie pie
Nwenenda in my dialect is Nwannennaya and they both mean "father's sibling."

Aleruchi in other parts of Igbo dialects is Elewechi and other variants are Elechi,Enechi,Anenechi.Kanenechukwu and they all simply mean
let's keep our eyes on God/ looking unto God.

Bekwele,I have no clue due to dialectical difference
The verb "kwe" means to agree in Igbo,same thing in Ikwerre.

We had a family friend Mr Mmeregini.Owerris call it Mmerenini
No I would not name my child because it's simply not a positive name.
Mmeregini means what have I done?
why would I give my precious child that kain name?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 10:00am On Jul 21, 2008
Good Morning

Please can somebody tell me if "nna" means father in ikwerri as it is in igbo?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by DeepZone: 5:34am On Jul 22, 2008
I think nna is ikwere~ibo while "na" is ibo. Like ikena, obina but ikwere ibo is ikenna and obinna.

What is the difference between oji and orji? Ngozi and Ngozie?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by RichyBlacK(m): 7:59am On Jul 22, 2008
DeepZone:

I think nna is ikwere~ibo while "na" is ibo. Like ikena, obina but ikwere ibo is ikenna and obinna.

What is the difference between oji and orji? Ngozi and Ngozie?

Wrong!

Nna is "father" in Igbo (Ikwerre obviously included).

Ikena and Obina do not exist! It is Ikenna and Obinna in Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Zhea(f): 9:12am On Jul 22, 2008
thank you for your information

i think i got the names i needed
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by slimfine(f): 11:31pm On Dec 27, 2008
this thrend make me want to have children to naming they away cheesy
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Dede1(m): 3:38pm On Dec 28, 2008
Queenisha:

sweetie pie
Nwenenda in my dialect is Nwannennaya and they both mean "father's sibling."

Aleruchi in other parts of Igbo dialects is Elewechi and other variants are Elechi,Enechi,Anenechi.Kanenechukwu and they all simply mean
let's keep our eyes on God/ looking unto God.

Bekwele,I have no clue due to dialectical difference
The verb "kwe" means to agree in Igbo,same thing in Ikwerre.

We had a family friend Mr Mmeregini.Owerris call it Mmerenini
No I would not name my child because it's simply not a positive name.
Mmeregini means what have I done?
why would I give my precious child that kain name?

You are a source of refreshment. I tried to ignore the arrant stupidity posited by one contributor that goes by ow11. Since the civil war ended, there are many Ndigbo who are playing the biblical Peter. I was born and raised within the neighborhood of Ikwerre/Eteche. I used to know places that were known and called Umumasi, Umuchuruse, Obigbo etc. However, I have been informed that these names have been changed.

I wonder why they have not renamed the deities in Ikwerre especially the one that goes as Ojukwu Diobi (diobu for Ikwerre). I bet if Port Harcourt would have been reverted to her real Igbo name (or so-called Ikwerre name), Igwe-Ochambara ama or Igwe-ochambram, the nitwits would have found a way to bastardize it all within means of denial.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Afam4eva(m): 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2008
Here are some unique Ikwerre names that i know, though some are not spelt correctly:
Chinda
Ovunda
nwerenda
Nwolu
Uchebadu
Bekwele
Chitru
Chilee
Owochi
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by naijabob: 9:03pm On Jul 14, 2009
What is all this noise about ikwerre being ibo, forcing a people to become who they are not thus making them so very important. For God sake, the ikwerre people have repeatedly said they are not ibos and have traced their history to the ancient Benin Kingdom, so let them be.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 11:21pm On Jul 14, 2009
@naijabob, not all Ikwerre people disclaim Igbo. A lot of them are proud to be Igbo. At the World Igbo Congress in London, 1998, It was an Ikwerre man who was the chief speaker. His name is Wanodi Okogbule (RIP). I have a copy of his speech till date. He warned his Ikwerre kins not to deny Igbo anymore. A lot of Ikwerre people are playing prominent role in Ohanaeze and one of the vice presidents of Ohanaeze is an Ikwerre son.
Here in the UK, there are so many Ikwerre youths who are members of our Igbo Youths UK (ICSN).

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by couple: 7:28pm On Jul 25, 2009
Chinda,okogbule.omunakwe.kinikanwo,nwaoroma,aleruchi,obisike,nwabieri,mmerikini,nwenekorom,amadi
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by asha80(m): 7:55pm On Jul 25, 2009
couple:

Chinda,okogbule.omunakwe.kinikanwo,nwaoroma,aleruchi,obisike,nwabieri,mmerikini,nwenekorom,amadi
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Ifygurl: 9:45am On Jul 27, 2009
Andre Uweh:

@naijabob, not all Ikwerre people disclaim Igbo. A lot of them are proud to be Igbo. At the World Igbo Congress in London, 1998, It was an Ikwerre man who was the chief speaker. His name is Wanodi Okogbule (RIP). I have a copy of his speech till date. He warned his Ikwerre kins not to deny Igbo anymore. A lot of Ikwerre people are playing prominent role in Ohanaeze and one of the vice presidents of Ohanaeze is an Ikwerre son.
Here in the UK, there are so many Ikwerre youths who are members of our Igbo Youths UK (ICSN).

Yeah that's true.  The two ikwerre I know are in my school and both are members of an African club I‘m in.  In the club, when asked what tribe the members came from, the two girls said Igbo.  If I didn‘t conversant with them I wouldn‘t have known they were ikwerre’s.  Not all are denying their heritage.  The Ikwerre that believe they aren't Igbo’s should reread their history.  Like Udezue said, before colonization Igbo’s were scattered all over and saw each other as different tribes. In this century, we are united but embracing our diversity. It seems some ikwerre are trying to destroy that union. Oh well, they can classify themselves as whoever they want. It's not like they are doing anything for igbos so it's fine; be whoever you want.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 6:18pm On Jul 27, 2009
Most of those Ikwerre parents who told their wards that they are not Igbo are still alive. It is high time they tell them the truth before that their generation passes away.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 9:27pm On Jul 28, 2009
In as much as ikwerres are igbos,it is their choice to make whether to join the greater igbo nation or exist independently as minority.i very much doubt the benin ancestry of ikwerres.in our own area,there are still little traces of benin influence but i think the ikwerres,etche and ngwa in abia state have common ancestry. compare onitsha,omoku,oguta and elele.elele has no benin influence.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 1:54am On Jul 29, 2009
[Deleted]
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by amekaoti: 5:54am On Nov 01, 2010
I was searching to see if there are significant differences between ikwerre and ibo when I stumbled onto this discussion. I am not interested in the politics. I just want to see if some words have changed sufficiently in ikwerre and other areas like it to help enrich the ibo language in general. It is common knowledge that until a language adopts and borrows from other languages, it is not going to get too far. The ibo language needs serious help and I am thinking that as a start, we need to start looking at the different dialects within ibo with a view to borrowing and modernizing our language. Anyone who has heard ibo, ika, ikwerre, owerri, nsukka, awhugbo, ngwa, and all the other areas not mentioned can definitely feel like they are all different languages. Yet none of these dialects is sufficient enough by itself to carry on a normal conversation in modern terms. That is why I researching the changes the ibo words have undergone as one moves away from the center. I need everyone's help!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by plezant(f): 10:40am On Nov 02, 2010
Chibuchi, nkesi, nene, oroma, hachikoro, chimega, ovunda,
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 6:19pm On Nov 02, 2010
plezant:

Chibuchi, nkesi, nene, oroma, hachikoro, chimega, ovunda,

Comparison to more centralised Igbo versions

Oroma - Uloma

Ovunda(Obunda) - Obinna

Ndamati - Nnanta

Orlumati - Orlunta

Wenenda - Nwannenna

Weneka - Nwanneka

Hachikaru - Ihechikara

Homa - Iheoma - Ifeoma

Nwerenda - Not found in none-Ikwerre as a name but means Nwunyenna.

Chiburuoma - Chidinma

Wali - Nwala - Nwani

Aleruchi - Elewechi-Nebolisa

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by excanny: 10:01pm On Nov 02, 2010
amekaoti:

I was searching to see if there are significant differences between ikwerre and ibo when I stumbled onto this discussion. I am not interested in the politics. I just want to see if some words have changed sufficiently in ikwerre and other areas like it to help enrich the ibo language in general. It is common knowledge that until a language adopts and borrows from other languages, it is not going to get too far. The ibo language needs serious help and I am thinking that as a start, we need to start looking at the different dialects within ibo with a view to borrowing and modernizing our language. Anyone who has heard ibo, ika, ikwerre, owerri, nsukka, awhugbo, ngwa, and all the other areas not mentioned can definitely feel like they are all different languages. Yet none of these dialects is sufficient enough by itself to carry on a normal conversation in modern terms. That is why I researching the changes the ibo words have undergone as one moves away from the center. I need everyone's help!
I sincerely hope you know what you are talking about. You are seperating ngwa from igbo. Is ngwa a language on its own? Anyway, you are a newbie, let me just forgive your ignorance. Hope you learn fast.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 12:35am On Nov 03, 2010
excanny:

I sincerely hope you know what you are talking about. You are seperating ngwa from igbo. Is ngwa a language on its own? Anyway, you are a newbie, let me just forgive your ignorance. Hope you learn fast.
I'm no sure you understood Amekaoti's post well.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by amekaoti: 6:02am On Nov 03, 2010
ChinenyeN,
If your intent is to insult people, I am not the one. If you follow the thread well and understand what is being said, you would not have made the statement you made. I am not going to stoop to your level and label you. But every ibo man knows that Owerri, Onitsha, Ngwa(Aba), Afikpo, Nsukka, Arochukwu, and many others are Ibos. And nothing I said in that writing suggested otherwise. Any language, Ibo included, has regional variations, which they call dialects. I have a bunch of Ngwa people that I have diificulty understanding when they speak true Ngwa. Same for Nsukka, Owerri, Afikpo, Arochukwu, ohafia, Abiriba, Abakiliki, and even Awgu and Ngwo people. The idea was to tell the person who feels that these variations make us foreign to one another in Iboland that it is not so.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 12:32pm On Nov 03, 2010
Amekaoti, you have nothing to worry about. I wasn't insulting you, or anyone for that matter.

amekaoti:

The idea was to tell the person who feels that these variations make us foreign to one another in Iboland that it is not so.
Debatable, in a way, but beyond the scope of this discussion.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by excanny: 1:39pm On Nov 03, 2010
@ amekaoti

Ok. now i get your point. Noted. But please can you spell 'Igbo' correctly next time?

Well, like you observed, it's unfortunate that this kind of confusion is going on among Igbo groups.

To your question, i dont think there's any need to modernize the various Igbo dialects. That's why they are called dialects, we can not all speak the same way. Though there exists a Central Igbo. The Ikwerre and Ika problems are pure politics. When someone says he wants to know the differences between Ikwerre and Igbo, i cant help but laugh at the person's ignorance, just like the OP was trying to do. Sometimes non-Igbos assume that all Igbo groups speak the same way. So if you say you want to know the differences between Nkanu and Owerre dialects, then i can understand.

Going back to the names issue. Do you know that Ngwas have their own unique names in addition to the general ones used by all Igbo groups? Names like kasarachi, uloaku, ihuaku, nkasiobi, nnabugwu, ngwahu, nmaeze, etc. All these are uniquely Ngwa names, yet that in itself does not make Ngwa a distinct language of its own.

I'm aware of an attempt by some Ngwa youths to claim a distinct Ngwa ethnic nationality, but sincerely i dont understand the rationale behind this move, so I cant say much.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 3:20pm On Nov 03, 2010
excanny:

To your question, i dont think there's any need to modernize the various Igbo dialects. That's why they are called dialects, we can not all speak the same way. Though there exists a Central Igbo.
I [i]think [/i]you may be [i]unintentionally [/i]confusing modernization and centralization here. Either that, or your making them out to seem synonymous, when they're not.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by excanny: 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I [i]think [/i]you may be [i]unintentionally [/i]confusing modernization and centralization here. Either that, or your making them out to seem synonymous, when they're not.

I guess you're right. That was an unintentional mix-up.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Obiagu1(m): 3:35pm On Nov 04, 2010
excanny:

I'm aware of an attempt by some Ngwa youths to claim a distinct Ngwa ethnic nationality, but sincerely i dont understand the rationale behind this move, so I cant say much.

. . . and who cares? I just wish Alaigbo has a boundary with Cameroun. Some Igbo clans would have been given to Cameroun for free.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 4:18pm On Nov 04, 2010
excanny:

I guess you're right. That was an unintentional mix-up.
Oh okay. I figured as much. No worries though. In that case then, I agree with you. There's no need to centralize the dialects, but I would go further to say that I think it would be good culture-groups to make some effort in furthering their various tongues. They don't have to centralize it, but they can at least make an effort to further develop or modernize it. So it can be more useful.

Obiagu1:

. . . and who cares? I just wish Alaigbo has a boundary with Cameroun. Some Igbo clans would have been given to Cameroun for free.
See your mentality. . . Please, Igbo cannot force any clan anywhere. 'Given to Cameroun for free'. Uvuvu.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba Incantations. . . . . / 4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media / List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.