Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings (95799 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by asha80(m): 4:18am On Nov 06, 2010
Obiagu1:

. . . and who cares? I just wish Alaigbo has a boundary with Cameroun. Some Igbo clans would have been given to Cameroun for free.

rubbish yarns
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by chizzy09: 1:32am On Feb 08, 2011
the igbos fought a war and lost and now they claim the ikwerres are igbos? u fools must be very pathetic, some igbo names are similar to ikwerre names, aint that a bitch, huh? peace
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 1:36pm On Feb 08, 2011
chizzy09:

the igbos fought a war and lost and now they claim the ikwerres are igbos? u fools must be very pathetic, some igbo names are similar to ikwerre names, aint that a naughty woman, huh? peace

Jobless freak, shut up that smelly mouth of yours if you do not have any relevant contribution to make to this thread. Mind you, the thread title is 'Ikwerre names and their meanings'. So get it into your empty skull, Monkey shitt-eater.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 1:39pm On Feb 08, 2011
Andre, are you seriously going to waste your time with that post?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 1:59pm On Feb 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Andre, are you seriously going to waste your time with that post?
I do not usually spare those who insult the Igbo as a group. If he had picked individuals to insult that may be tolerable.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by chizzy09: 4:45pm On Feb 08, 2011
it's high time you igbo or ibo mud eaters to care for your own pwople and stop worrying who is part of the igbos. the ikwerre people are a rich tribe of their own, proud in their own rights. start worrying about how not to have caste systems and recognise your own people equally. talking about insulting the ibos in entirety, i think you deserve it even if its not the right thing to do. 98% of you think you are right but you are the most ignorant nigerians that ever lived, suck my dick, bitches
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 5:30pm On Feb 08, 2011
chizzy09:

it's high time you igbo or ibo mud eaters to care for your own pwople and stop worrying who is part of the igbos. the ikwerre people are a rich tribe of their own, proud in their own rights. start worrying about how not to have caste systems and recognise your own people equally. talking about insulting the ibos in entirety, i think you deserve it even if its not the right thing to do. 98% of you think you are right but you are the most ignorant nigerians that ever lived, suck my manliness, bitches

Monkey, how many times do I have to warn you to stick to the topic. As a school drop-out, you should concentrate on how to complete your education than come here for an argument your miserable life can not win. Jobless Arrow, I hope you understand. Clown.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by chizzy09: 6:55pm On Feb 08, 2011
concentrate on the topic? ok son of a sucker! the ikwerre's are superior to the igbos so are our names and the pakistanis are superior to the igbos who dont have a clearly defined identity, wooooo, that must hurt. for my education, i decided to quit so i can hurt educated illiterates like you, punk motherfucker
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Afam4eva(m): 7:25pm On Feb 08, 2011
chizzy09:

concentrate on the topic? ok son of a sucker! the ikwerre's are superior to the igbos so are our names and the pakistanis are superior to the igbos who dont have a clearly defined identity, wooooo, that must hurt. for my education, i decided to quit so i can hurt educated illiterates like you, punk naughty person

Ikwerres more superior to Igbos, I laugh in Ngwa. Pls Mr Chizzy aka efulefu can you state one reason why you feel ikwerres are more superior to igbos.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ezeagu(m): 7:52pm On Feb 08, 2011
chizzy09:

the igbos fought a war and lost and now they claim the ikwerres are igbos? u fools must be very pathetic,  some igbo names are similar to ikwerre names,  aint that a naughty woman, huh? peace

Sea water in head results.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by chizzy09: 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2011
cus they dont go about wanting to belong where they shouldnt or looking for people copying them. they are contented with being themselves but the igbos are always trying to compare theirselves to somebody else without having nothing out of it, i guess they feel more complex afterwards. well, its not in my style to believe in one mans superiority to another but some of your blogs about the ikwerres being igbos and answering your names just piss me off, u should just be igbos, get paid for it and get your monkey hands off the other mans dick

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ezeagu(m): 8:51pm On Feb 08, 2011
chizzy09:

cus they dont go about wanting to belong where they shouldnt or looking for people copying them. they are contented with being themselves but the igbos are always trying to compare theirselves to somebody else without having nothing out of it, i guess they feel more complex afterwards. well, its not in my style to believe in one mans superiority to another but some of your blogs about the ikwerres being igbos and answering your names just piss me off, u should just be igbos, get paid for it and get your monkey hands off the other mans manliness

Everybody knows that the Ikwerre are not Igbo. Have you heard? Bye bye.

All these people trying to feel important sef.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 9:01pm On Feb 08, 2011
Andre Uweh:

I do not usually spare those who insult the Igbo as a group. If he had picked individuals to insult that may be tolerable.
I guess I see what you're saying, but still. . . coming from me (one of the most unimportant people out there), I don't think this guy is worth your time.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Chyz2: 10:40pm On Feb 08, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Jobless freak, shut up that smelly mouth of yours if you do not have any relevant contribution to make to this thread. Mind you, the thread title is 'Ikwerre names and their meanings'. So get it into your empty skull, Monkey shitt-eater.

afam4eva:

Ikwerres more superior to Igbos, I laugh in Ngwa. Pls Mr Chizzy aka efulefu can you state one reason why you feel ikwerres are more superior to igbos.

ezeagu:

Sea water in head results.

Don't waste your time. Cease to reply.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by bashr4: 3:27am On Feb 16, 2011
chizzy09:

cus they dont go about wanting to belong where they shouldnt or looking for people copying them. they are contented with being themselves but the igbos are always trying to compare theirselves to somebody else without having nothing out of it, i guess they feel more complex afterwards. well, its not in my style to believe in one mans superiority to another but some of your blogs about the ikwerres being igbos and answering your names just piss me off, u should just be igbos, get paid for it and get your monkey hands off the other mans manliness

please speak for your own ikwerre household so you sound soo stupid tryin to lump the rest of the ikwerres in nothing you about.and while your at it dont attempt to drag the other igbo gorups of rivers state that outnumber you 200 times incase you think u have smething to gain politically.

the only reason ijaws are supporting this your conspiracy is so that they can weaken you politically and finally end you menace in rivers state.

anyways to poster , yes ikwerre names are igbo names but i guess what you should be looking for is the ikwerre dialect of those names as each of the many igbo clans or tribes have thier own dialect especially in names but they all mean the same thing , good luck with your search , also tell your husband to researcxh more on history cause this division is already causing friction withing the igbo nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Kc3000: 9:19am On Feb 16, 2011
Not this arguement again. All this could be avoided if all those who insist that they are not Igbo, but merely borrowed the Igbos names, language, culture and tradition, would kindly desist from such a practice and return all they have borrowed from the rightful owners. No one would ever mistake you for Igbo if you stop bearing Emeka, Obinna etc, celebrating the same festivals, having the same deities, masquerades, having the same market days, or wearing the same traditional regalia as the Igbo. Just as you conveniently adopted the Igbo way of life, without being Igbo, you can adopt another, or even better, invent or return to your own authentic culture. Lastly, advice those your wayward brothers that insist on identifying with the Igbo to please stop it. They are the biggest source of confusion to us(Ndigbo).
Do these, and in no time those of us that are truly Igbo would have no reason whatsoever to identify with you, and peace shall reign for all.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Kc3000: 9:21am On Feb 16, 2011
Not this arguement again. All this could be avoided if all those who insist that they are not Igbo, but merely borrowed the Igbos names, language, culture and tradition, would kindly desist from such a practice and return all they have borrowed from the rightful owners. No one would ever mistake you for Igbo if you stop bearing Emeka, Obinna etc, celebrating the same festivals, having the same deities, masquerades, having the same market days, or wearing the same traditional regalia as the Igbo. Just as you conveniently adopted the Igbo way of life, without being Igbo, you can adopt another, or even better, invent or return to your own authentic culture. Lastly, advice those your wayward brothers that insist on identifying with the Igbo to please stop it. They are the biggest source of confusion to us(Ndigbo).
  Do these, and in no time those of us that are truly Igbo would have no reason whatsoever to identify with you, and peace shall reign for all.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by excanny: 9:46am On Feb 16, 2011
Kc3000:

Flawed argument!

There's a difference between Igbo-speaking and being Igbos. Are Nigerians who bear English names English? You people should leave Ikwerres alone. They've said they are not Igbos, let them be.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by bashr4: 11:43am On Feb 16, 2011
excanny:

Flawed argument!

There's a difference between Igbo-speaking and being Igbos. Are Nigerians who bear English names English? You people should leave Ikwerres alone. They've said they are not Igbos, let them be.

you still dont get it so if one person from one of the town in ikwerre local govt comes out to say he is not igbo all of a sudden the rest who dont agree with that are also not igbo?pls keep away from family matters ok.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 1:38pm On Feb 16, 2011
Not everyone is concerned with being Igbo. Is that so difficult to understand?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by aljharem11(m): 2:23pm On Feb 16, 2011
excanny:

Flawed argument!

now this what i like smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

ok i believe whether if ikwerri and ika say they are not igbo we should leave them, the more we talk like this, the more they feel special

if something happens, then they will remember there igbo part.

To my igbo brothers lets be watching cool

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 3:12pm On Feb 16, 2011
I can swear that no Ikwerre will ever get himself involved in this because it is an experience they encounter in their entire lives.The best thing is to ignore "chizzy" because he is not an Ikwerreman.Ikwerres have a right to self determination but they obviously speak Igbo without coma.

Igbos say "Onye kwe Chi ya ekwere".So if Ikwerre refuses to accept the concept of one Igbo then those of us that accept should let them be.

Back to topic

Nwerenda-Father's wife

Wenenda-Father's brother

Orlumati-Lil' 2nd child.

Ndamati-Lil' Father

Chiburuoma-God is good

More to come.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 9:33pm On Feb 16, 2011
alj harem1:

now this what i like smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

ok i believe whether if ikwerri and ika say they are not igbo we should leave them, the more we talk like this, the more they feel special

if something happens, then they will remember there igbo part.

To my igbo brothers lets be watching cool
Spot on.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Kc3000: 11:51pm On Feb 16, 2011
@excanny I don't know what you mean by flawed arguement, when you are reinforcing my point. I agree that they are not Igbo in the least. The Nigerian that bears an English name knows that he's not English, and would not claim his people to be the originators of the English language. Surely, he knows of his mother tongue, even if he cannot speak it. This is quite different from claiming Igbo as the original langauge and culture of your forefathers, yet claiming no relationship to the rest of the Igbo.
I suggested they rid themselves of anything that might suggest that they are Igbo, including the language. This is not a new concept here. They started to rename the villages in port-harcourt long ago i.e umuokoro to rumuokoro (which is not radical enough to me, as it still sounds kinda Igbo). I'm only imploring them to thoroughly execute this exercise and completely detach from that which they so obviously hate; being Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by excanny: 10:24am On Feb 17, 2011
Kc3000:

@excanny I don't know what you mean by flawed arguement, when you are reinforcing my point. I agree that they are not Igbo in the least. The Nigerian that bears an English name knows that he's not English, and would not claim his people to be the originators of the English language. Surely, he knows of his mother tongue, even if he cannot speak it. This is quite different from claiming Igbo as the original langauge and culture of your forefathers, yet claiming no relationship to the rest of the Igbo.
I suggested they rid themselves of anything that might suggest that they are Igbo, including the language. This is not a new concept here. They started to rename the villages in port-harcourt long ago i.e umuokoro to rumuokoro (which is not radical enough to me, as it still sounds kinda Igbo). I'm only imploring them to thoroughly execute this exercise and completely detach from that which they so obviously hate, being Igbo.

This is where I disagree with you. You can not force them to stop using Igbo names. If they find Igbo language and names cool to use, they are feel to use them. Igbos should be proud that others are promoting their language and names. Prof. Chike Obi named his sons Mustapha and one other Yoruba name I cant remember now. Are you suggesting that those boys stop using those names because they are not from the cultures that bear such names?

See, there's a need for us to respect each other. That's the only way we can exist together in harmony. The more you try to persuade these people to admit their 'Igboness', the more they distance themselves. Do you see that your desire to join them into your one Igbo nation is not working? Why keep trying what is not working?

As for the name-changing of some of their towns. Have you found out their reasons for it? If I can remember correctly, rumu=umu, going by the sense of the words. It's just a mere dialectic change! I wont lose my sleep over that.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 11:55am On Feb 17, 2011
@excanny.You seem not to understand the situation here.It is like Ijebus waking up to declare Ijebu ethnic nationality citing there differences with the rest of Yoruba as a reason.

And still go ahead renaming some roads in Ijebu-ode - Oke oja as Roke oja and Oke omi as Roke Omi.

I personally believe they have the right to choose their ethnicity but I just want it clarified on how it came about.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 12:07pm On Feb 17, 2011
Back to topic

Ichenda-Father's wish

Weli-Son of the soil

Homa-Good deed/thing

Hachikaru-What God has said/wished

Ezinwo-Good child

Nyema-Who knows

Ovunda-Father's mind

All the names I gave are peculiar to Ikwerre.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by owobokiri(m): 11:41pm On Mar 02, 2011
I was told that all you need to do to have your Ikwerre name is to simply add the letter "R" to any Igbo name and you have an Ikwerre name. EG; Obinna = Robinna. (maybe this is how we got "Robinho). Emeka = Remeka. Okoro = Rokoro. .

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by excanny: 12:23am On Mar 03, 2011
owobokiri:

I was told that all you need to do to have your Ikwerre name is to simply add the letter "R" to any Igbo name and you have an Ikwerre name. EG; Obinna = Robinna. (maybe this is how we got "Robinho). Emeka = Remeka. Okoro = Rokoro. .

grin grin grin

Ikwerre kwenu!
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ezeagu(m): 1:04am On Mar 03, 2011
owobokiri:

O wu nani Robinho? Ronaldinho kwanu?

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by henry101(m): 2:20am On Mar 03, 2011
owobokiri:

Funny,
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 3:41pm On Mar 04, 2011
owobokiri:

That's a lie bros.The "rumu"(children) is a dialect of Ikwerre spoken in Emohua but was adopted by the Obio(Diobu) people whose original dialect is "Umu" in 1970."Omu" is used in Northern Ikwerre in place of "Umu" just like the word "mbra"(now) is used by Diobu while variances of "kita","udu" and "ndue" still occur in other ikwerre dialects.

The difference between Ikwerre and central Igbo is the letter "f" which has evolved to "wh" and the arrangement of words in a sentence(this is the major difference).Ikwerre names are Igbo names because they share the same words but if a sentence is made in Ikwerre then the difference becomes noticeable.

It is more like Pidgin and English.

"Who bring you come here ?"

"Who brought you here?"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba Incantations. . . . . / 4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media / List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.