Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,846 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:17 AM

Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings (94871 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 10:59pm On Oct 12, 2011
What I mean is that they also came from somewhere.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 11:11pm On Oct 12, 2011
Where is that somewhere? I'm assuming you've read something or have been told something by someone.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 11:26pm On Oct 12, 2011
I was told that the main Ngwa sub-clan were expeditioners from Umonoha somewhere around Owerre and hastily crossed the Imo river earning the name "Ndi ngwa-ngwa" and settled in their present location.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 11:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
lol Who told you that?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 11:39pm On Oct 12, 2011
I watched a documentary on the Ngwa and also looked at a few articles.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 11:46pm On Oct 12, 2011
Which articles, if you remember?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by odumchi: 11:48pm On Oct 12, 2011
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 11:52pm On Oct 12, 2011
Okay. The reprinted work of Nwaguru. I figured as much.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 12:25am On Oct 13, 2011
odumchi:

I was told that the main Ngwa sub-clan were expeditioners from Umonoha somewhere around Owerre and hastily crossed the Imo river earning the name "Ndi ngwa-ngwa" and settled in their present location.

I read the Ngwa article and could not help but notice three significant use of the word Oha viz UmunOHA,NwOHA and AmadiOHA.I think that still supports my Oha theory.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by africangirl: 6:40pm On Feb 05, 2012
Hello all,

i have one important question please can anybody help me, i search for a full name i know only the short name, the short name is "IBE" , it is an ikwerre name. please can anybody help me

smiley
THX
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 05, 2012
africangirl:

Hello all,

i have one important question please can anybody help me, i search for a full name i know only the short name, the short name is "IBE" , it is an ikwerre name. please can anybody help me

smiley
THX

'Ibe' is short for a number of names.

Ibeamaka

Ibeabuchi

Ibekwe

Ibezimako
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ezeagu(m): 11:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
Ibe on its own may be something different in Ikwere.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by africangirl: 12:08am On Feb 06, 2012
mbatuku2:

'Ibe' is short for a number of names.

Ibeamaka

Ibeabuchi

Ibekwe

Ibezimako

thank you so much, they are ikwerre names or? you know more of them?? because this what follows after IBE is only a ikwerre name or meaning.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 1:10am On Feb 06, 2012
From Ikwere to Ngwa, the name Ibe is commonly answered. By itself, Ibe just means "peer" or "mate", but as a a name, it could refer to any number of things. This is because their is no "standard name" when it comes to Ibe.

Two people could be named "Ibe", but only they would know what exactly their own "Ibe" name is referring to. 

Various Ibe names
- Enyeribe (also a shortened version)
- Alaribe
- Abaribe
- Nduaguibe
- Maduabuchibeya
- Ibeka
- Ibeakolam
- Ibeme
- Ibeako
. . . and the list continues on from there.

Africangirl, you would have to inquire the meaning from the person directly.

I have four cousins named Ibe, and each one's Ibe name is different from the next.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by AndreUweh(m): 2:38pm On Feb 06, 2012
Ibe is also common in my own part of Igboland e.g
Ibeawuchi.
Ibekwe
Enyeribe
Onyeribe
Ibegbulem
etc
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 06, 2012
ezeagu:

I doubt it.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 3:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
ezeagu:

Not when it comes to names, unless it's that 1 in 50,000 chance where a parent happens to name their child a completely unrelated name, which then developed, or got shortened to "Ibe", as a nickname. I've seen that before.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by africangirl: 10:32pm On Feb 06, 2012
i thank you all a lot grin
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 10:59pm On Feb 06, 2012
Rumuwene anu meka we! Is there no full blooded Ikwerre on NL to give a 1st hand contribution? Ha rumuisoma karila vadu.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by ChinenyeN(m): 11:51pm On Feb 06, 2012
Ndaa nde i na akpo Isoma?
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by icheiche: 9:24am On May 04, 2012
Zhea: Hi

I am looking for Ikwerre Names and their Meaning.

Who can help me?

Greetings
Zhea

I think names like Nkesi, Chijioke, Chimeka, Ogutum, Chile, Chiguhiaru, Menuchimzi/Manuchimzi, Chizi, Osaruchi, Ezebunwo, Azemeola, Izeoma are beautiful Ikwerre names with good meanings. grin
Zhea: Hi

I am looking for Ikwerre Names and their Meaning.

Who can help me?

Greetings
Zhea

I think names like Nkesi, Chijioke, Chimeka, Ogutum, Chile, Chiguhiaru, Menuchimzi/Manuchimzi, Chizi, Osaruchi, Ezebunwo, Azemeola, Izeoma are beautiful Ikwerre names with good meanings.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Nwo: 11:33pm On Jun 13, 2012
The reason why most Ikwerre people say they r not Igbo's is because of there for fathers are not for example the isiokpo people have an information saying there origin is Benin Kingdom.I got this information from a reliable websit(http://www.isiokpo.com/)saying "THE ORIGIN OF ISIOKPO
In the early eleventh century A.D the benin authorities in the present day Edo state pronounced banishment on Oba Osogua and members of the Ogisos dynasty. There was then a king ewhua, a warlord, priest and hunter who belonged to the Ogisos dynasty. King ewhua later set insearch of a place of settlement, taking along his children, other relatives and war lieutenants. Ogisos symbol of authority was among the items king ewhua took along with him.
This symbol is a moulded standing head of a lion, with a long hat and broad base to serve as a stand. The brass moulding is covered with a lion's skin and kept in the inner chamber of the king's palace. Female creatures were forbidden from entering its place of custody. (ref. imo, Emmanuel chilee 2007)
Ochichi and akalaka were some of king ewhua's relatives that left the benin empire with him. Akalaka was the father of today's ekpeye and ogba, both in rivers state.
First, ochichi settled at elele alimini, then elele okeniali and later founded and domiciled near the band of the new calabar river which is today's isiokpo in the ikwerre Local Government area of rivers state . (ref. kejeh, nnamdi i: university of port Harcourt 1989),hope this will help resolve this problem.....to me my own oint f view in this is probably most part of ikwerre are orignated from igbo and some from benin or some where else we dont know.........so please my brothers and sisters for the fact we are all from the southern part of nigerians we should see ourselves as one other than enemies God bless u all.. smiley
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Nwo: 11:46pm On Jun 13, 2012
@Zhea there names like:
Chinwenwo meaning God owns this child
Onizor:He is the open door /the one tht holds the door
Chigozirim:God has blessed me
Chigonum:God defend me
tht's all i know hope it will help.........
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 12:23am On Jun 14, 2012
Nwo:
The reason why most Ikwerre people say they r not Igbo's is because of there for fathers are not for example the isiokpo people have an information saying there origin is Benin Kingdom.I got this information from a reliable websit(http://www.isiokpo.com/)saying "THE ORIGIN OF ISIOKPO
In the early eleventh century A.D the benin authorities in the present day Edo state pronounced banishment on Oba Osogua and members of the Ogisos dynasty. There was then a king ewhua, a warlord, priest and hunter who belonged to the Ogisos dynasty. King ewhua later set insearch of a place of settlement, taking along his children, other relatives and war lieutenants. Ogisos symbol of authority was among the items king ewhua took along with him.
This symbol is a moulded standing head of a lion, with a long hat and broad base to serve as a stand. The brass moulding is covered with a lion's skin and kept in the inner chamber of the king's palace. Female creatures were forbidden from entering its place of custody. (ref. imo, Emmanuel chilee 2007)
Ochichi and akalaka were some of king ewhua's relatives that left the benin empire with him. Akalaka was the father of today's ekpeye and ogba, both in rivers state.
First, ochichi settled at elele alimini, then elele okeniali and later founded and domiciled near the band of the new calabar river which is today's isiokpo in the ikwerre Local Government area of rivers state . (ref. kejeh, nnamdi i: university of port Harcourt 1989),hope this will help resolve this problem.....to me my own oint f view in this is probably most part of ikwerre are orignated from igbo and some from benin or some where else we dont know.........so please my brothers and sisters for the fact we are all from the southern part of nigerians we should see ourselves as one other than enemies God bless u all.. smiley

The fault of this account is that it is a recent fabrication. Isiokpo is the settlement of Okpo Nwagidi who is the father of most settlements between Etche and Isiokpo which includes Igwruta and Omuagwa. I feel ashamed reading most of these fabrications. Ochichi is the father of Etche by their tradition and moved their from somewhere in Imo State. Okpo settled in Ozuzu in Etche and moved from Ozuzu to the present day Isiokpo. The traces of the movement are still intact from Etche to Isiokpo.If there is possibility of Benin influence on Ikwerre, then its probably the Nwezina lineage in Emohua. With your name "Nwo" ,I want to believe you are diali.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Dede1(m): 9:36pm On Jun 16, 2012
ow11: @ Queenisha

What is the Igbo variant of Nwenenda, Aleruchi and Bekwele? Would you call your child Mmeregini?

Earlier I tried to use an example but echelon corrected me. I should have used Ifeoma and Iheoma. The Ikwerre version is Homa. I believe they have a right to give unique names to their children even if you don't recognise them as different from Igbo.

Nwenenda = Nwanyinna
Aleruchi = Elewechi, Elemchi, Nebolisa
Bekwele = Ibekwele
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 1:35am On Jun 17, 2012
Dede1:

Nwenenda = Nwanyinna
Aleruchi = Elewechi, Elemchi, Nebolisa
Bekwele = Ibekwele

There are unique names which can only be found in Ikwerre area.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by wolems: 2:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
Are the following names and terms: Echikamakoro, Nweneka, Kinika, Iririonvuyakkansi, ezenwhere, ekikekako, leekonchi, Obinichi, Kaka, Waliezi, Nlerem, Wolemonwu, Obirizunwo, Gbadhi, Chimekwata,homa misiriko yomeni; part of igbo vocabularies? Sorry! Ignorance is a disease. The listed names and terms are typical ikwerre registers. Please if you are looking for ikwerre terminologies, or you are looking for an ikwerre name to give your child, dont fail to call 08037636898 or email me at veezbiz@gmail.com.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 7:49am On Oct 01, 2012
wolems: Are the following names and terms: Echikamakoro, Nweneka, Kinika, Iririonvuyakkansi, ezenwhere, ekikekako, leekonchi, Obinichi, Kaka, Waliezi, Nlerem, Wolemonwu, Obirizunwo, Gbadhi, Chimekwata,homa misiriko yomeni; part of igbo vocabularies? Sorry! Ignorance is a disease. The listed names and terms are typical ikwerre registers. Please if you are looking for ikwerre terminologies, or you are looking for an ikwerre name to give your child, dont fail to call 08037636898 or email me at veezbiz@gmail.com.

Even if I didn't know Ikwerre, I would have still guessed the names. Autograph is the major reason some people might not translate. For example if you take a look at "Homa" it is the same in spoken Igbo from Mbaise to Owerri to Ngwa to Etche to Ohaji. "He", "Hwe", "Ho" is used in place of "Ihe" and "Ife" in Southern Igbo. "Oma" remains "Oma" across Igboland. Most Igbos however tend to answer names based on central Nri/Awka like "Ifeanyi", "Ifeoma", "Ifeyinwa", "Ogbuefi", "Olisakwe" , "Olisadebe" etc

If we move into names by dialect then you could have names like "Iveanyi, Ipheanyi, Iheanyi, Hanyi, Hweanyi for Ifeanyi", "Iveoma, Iheoma, Ipheoma, Ihoma, Homa, Hweoma" for Ifeoma , "Iheyinwa, Heyinwo, Hweyinwa, Iveyinwa" for Ifeyinwa, "Ogbuevi, Ogbuehi, Ogbueshi" for Ogbuefi , "Orisakwe, Osakwe, Obasikwe" for Olisakwe, "Orisadewe, Osadebe" for Olisadebe.

3 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by wolems: 7:03pm On Oct 01, 2012
I feel for you. Do you know that kini and gini mean the same. kini means what in yoruba same in ikwerre. Gini means what in igbo. what can u make out of this. Pls go and be tutored in Language usage and some things will be clear to u. There are several things listed. If you are so much learned in Language make your Igbo analysis vis - a - vis the ikwerre language. place those terms and names in place of your igbo translations.
Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Abagworo(m): 8:10pm On Oct 01, 2012
wolems: I feel for you. Do you know that kini and gini mean the same. kini means what in yoruba same in ikwerre. Gini means what in igbo. what can u make out of this. Pls go and be tutored in Language usage and some things will be clear to u. There are several things listed. If you are so much learned in Language make your Igbo analysis vis - a - vis the ikwerre language. place those terms and names in place of your igbo translations.

Some Igbos use "kini" and "gini" others use "nini" or "ngiri" but some are even more deviated like "kee" or "nge". Ikwerre language is a "version of" or separate dialect of general Igbo language. If you know Ohaji or Uratta in Imo State just visit there and learn something new. I generally feel Ikwerre is a distinct ethnic group today but don't lie to create a non-existent difference.

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings by Kojiek: 9:39pm On Jan 02, 2013
Ikwerre names are Igbo names given in Ikwerre dialect of Igbo. Example of such names are:
Ovunda = Obinna
Homa = Iheoma / Ifeoma
Epara = Opara/Opkara/Okwara
Nyeso = Onyeso
Nyemaechi = Onyemaech
Chizi = Chidi
Wenenda = Nwannennaya
Ihunda = Ihunnaya
Wokekoro = Nwokekoro
Oro-oma = Ulo-oma
Wike = Nwaike
Weli = Nwala/Nwali
Chinda = Chinna
Enyinda = Enyinna
Etc
If these name are said in my own dialect of igbo they may seem different, ie; Obinna = Obunna; Chidi = Chidu, but my people will not call them that way. We use the central Igbo.
So Ikwerre names are Igbo names but are mostly dialectical. Most Ikwerres use normal central Igbo names for their children.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Do Somalis,ethiopians And Eritreans Consider Themselves As Whites? / 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Photo: Meet The Mami Water People From Osun Oshogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.