Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,239 members, 7,807,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:34 PM

Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. (26136 Views)

Keshi Releases 25-man List For Sudan Matches / NFF Rejects Keshi’s 42-man List For Malawi / Super Eagles 23 Man List To South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by naijanoni(m): 1:32pm On Nov 03, 2013
Nigeria have included fit-again Chelsea under-21 defender Kenneth Omeruo in a 25-man squad to face Ethiopia in this month's 2014 World Cup play-off.

Omeruo played all six games for the Super Eagles as they won the Africa Cup of Nations in January but then sustained a shoulder injury at June's Confederations Cup in Brazil.

He made a first appearance this season for the Chelsea under-21's on Friday.

Nigeria play Ethiopia on 16 November in the second leg of their 2014 qualifier.

They hold a 2-1 lead from the first leg as they aim to secure a fifth World Cup appearance.

Two days later, the African champions will play Italy in a friendly at Fulham's Craven Cottage stadium in London.

Lille goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama returns as stand-in skipper, while Scotland-based Rueben Gabriel has been handed a recall.

"It's good for us that we can recall Kenneth Omeruo and Rueben Gabriel for this crucial game and big friendly against Italy," Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi told BBC Sport.

"The game against Ethiopia is very important for the country and the players are all aware of what stands before them and a place in Brazil.

"We need to prepare very hard tactically and technically so we can make the country and our fans proud.

"It's very appropriate to describe the game in Calabar as our biggest cup final because the one in South Africa is now in the past."

Home-based players Chigozie Agbim, Francis Benjamin, Solomon Kwambe, Azubuike Egwuekwe and Sunday Mba are all recalled.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) hope the match against Italy on 18 November will be preparation for next year's tournament in Brazil.

The match, which will kick-off at 1945 BST, will be Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi's first friendly against European opposition since he took
charge of the side in November 2011.

Nigeria squad:

Goalkeepers:Vincent Enyeama (Lille FC, France); Austin Ejide (Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Israel); Chigozie Agbim (Enugu Rangers)

Defenders:Elderson Echiejile (Sporting Braga, Portugal); Francis Benjamin (Heartland); Efe Ambrose (Celtic, Scotland); Solomon Kwambe (Sunshine Stars); Godfrey Oboabona (Rizespor, Turkey); Azubuike Egwuekwe (Warri Wolves); James Okwuosa (Chippa United, South Africa), Kenneth Omeruo (Chelsea, England)

Midfielders:John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England); John Ogu (Academica de Coimbra, Portugal); Ogenyi Onazi (SS Lazio, Italy); Nosa Igiebor (Real Betis, Spain); Victor Moses (Liverpool, England); Sunday Mba (Enugu Rangers); Nnamdi Oduamadi (Brescia, Italy), Reuben Gabriel (Kilmarnock, Scotland)

Forwards:Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Brown Ideye (Dynamo Kyiv, Ukraine); Shola Ameobi (Newcastle United, England); Emmanuel Emenike (Fenerbahce, Turkey); Obinna Nsofor (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia); Uche Nwofor (SC Heerenveen, Netherlands).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24794829

In my opinion,i dont think Reuben deserves a re-call yet.He just got back from injury and hasnt made any appearance for lower-table kilmarnock in the scottish league to re-gain full match fitness.

Haruna Lukman,Ramon Azeez and Sone Aluko playing regularly and doing incredibly well in the Ukrainian league,the la liga and the EPL respectively over-looked.

What do you think about this list ?.Who are the un-listed players you think deserve to be there ?.And who are those listed players you think don't deserve to be there ?

4 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by sCun: 2:06pm On Nov 03, 2013
We have to play Italy 2 days after the Ethiopia match and we need a good result in that match for our rankings and pride as African champions. We can only use 14 out of the 23 players for the Ethiopia match, meaning we have 9 fresh players left to play the Italy match 2 days later. Keshi should have invited players who are good enough to start any of the 2 matches. Ezekiel Imoh in place of useless Ameobi, Lukeman in place of useless Reuben, that way we could have had a good striker to start the Italy match in place of Emenike who must have played against Ethiopia 2 days earlier, Haruna could have replace Mikel from the Ethiopia starting 11. Is it Ameobi that will lead our attack against Italy? Who replaces Mikel? Keshi has no excuse o! We can't lose to Italy
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Danhumprey: 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2013
Shola Ameobi again? Me think that guy would be a disaster. Look at his performance for his club. We need a better striker.

6 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by sCun: 2:35pm On Nov 03, 2013
Keshi could have easily had these line-ups for both matches:
vs Ethiopia
Enyeama
Ambrose Oboabona Egwueke Echiejile
Onazi Mikel Igiebor
Musa Emenike Moses

vs Italy
Ejide
Kwambe Omeruo Okwuosa Benjamin
Azeez Haruna Onazi
Ideye Imoh Moses

Moses and Onazi would have been the only players to start both matches having been substituted early against Ethiopia.
Instead Keshi decided to do copy and paste and submit the same team list, I wonder if he has been monitoring our players. Reuben isn't even good enough to make Kilmarnock's bench whereas Azeez is now playing regularly for Almeria of Spain. Haruna despite his issues should have been given one last chance with the Italy match. Keshi is becoming too relaxed and lazy no wonder his belly his shooting out at an alarming rate.

11 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by sCun: 2:37pm On Nov 03, 2013
Now we run the risk of starting Ameobi against Italy which is an insult to our status as African champions.

2 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by seankay(m): 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2013
Where is Joel Obi nah?
Aluko and Haruna can add somefin 2 dis team dan some names I saw on d list

5 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by naijanoni(m): 2:50pm On Nov 03, 2013
My problem is not even ameobi.At least ameobi has started some games and has been featuring regularly for newcastle dis season when fit.He even has a goal to his name.
But imagine,Oduamadi warms the bench for BOTTOM TABLE SERIE B side BRESCIA ??Not even SERIE A.SERIE B ??.
Gabriel Reuben is no doubt a good player,but he just returned 4rm injury and hasnt made a single appearance for a bottom table scottish league side Kilmarnock for match fitness.Come on keshi,I've always trusted u but WTF ??.
Lots of players are doing well in europe and are currently in form than many of d average players in dat list.
Yep club is different 4rm country.
But nothing hurts in trying.If keshi could take untested average players like Ujah,Babatunde,Gambo to a big tournament lyk d confederations cup,i see nothing wrong in testing d likes of Ezekiel,Haruna,Aluko,Azeez that are currently in hot form in europe.
If they fail,drop them like u dropped d gambos,Ujahs.
I was expecting to see at least 2 of these players.

3 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by sCun: 2:54pm On Nov 03, 2013
seankay: Where is Joel Obi nah?
Joel Obi is not good enough, besides he has been a bench warmer all year.
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by sCun: 2:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
naija noni: My problem is not even ameobi.At least ameobi has started some games and has been featuring regularly for newcastle dis season when fit.He even has a goal to his name.
But imagine,Oduamadi warms the bench for BOTTOM TABLE SERIE B side BRESCIA ??Not even SERIE A.SERIE B ??.
Gabriel Reuben is no doubt a good player,but he just returned 4rm injury and hasnt made a single appearance for a bottom table scottish league side Kilmarnock for match fitness.Come on keshi,I've always trusted u but WTF ??.
Lots of players are doing well in europe and are currently in form than many of d average players in dat list.
Yep club is different 4rm country.
But nothing hurts in trying.If keshi could take untested average players like Ujah,Babatunde,Gambo to a big tournament lyk d confederations cup,i see nothing wrong in testing d likes of Ezekiel,Haruna,Aluko,Azeez that are currently in hot form in europe.
If they fail,drop them like u dropped d gambos,Ujahs.
I was expecting to see at least 2 of these players.
Ameobi has no business being in the Super eagles team. Can you imagine him being our main striker vs Italy? The guy is pure shyte!

2 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Umunede(m): 2:58pm On Nov 03, 2013
sCun: Now we run the risk of starting Ameobi against Italy which is an insult to our status as African champions.
We will start Uche Nwafor, the guy that scored the two goals against South Africa in a friendly. You remember the back heel?

1 Like

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by philfearon(m): 4:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
What Will i say?
Just Wish the invited ones goodluck lets get this{matches} done With....
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Chanchit: 5:40pm On Nov 03, 2013
Nigerians are never satisfied, I started reading people's comment from bottom to top, I even thought Keshi dropped some first 11 players for d Italy match until I got to d main article. I think d list is fair, you knw Keshi needs some players (Ejike,Ameobi,Ideye,home based eagles) match bonus($), so he must call them.

...Anyway, for Ethiopia, the best result they can get is a defeat. As for Italy, na them sabi....
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 03, 2013
List is fair. These are the same set of players that got a win away at Ethiopia so I understand why Keshi stuck with this same 23.

Its a bit risky to start making all those changes you guys want against ethiopia. We must not experiment with our chances of qualifying to Brazil.

All those Haruna, Imoh Ezekiel, Sone aluko, Dele adeleye etc will come in later after we qualify and they will be integrated into the team gradually.

So thumbs up Keshi.

7 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by obeenah40(m): 7:03pm On Nov 03, 2013
And still get trashed at the end sad
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by checkdate(m): 7:06pm On Nov 03, 2013
undecidedpls any update on ASSU strick
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 03, 2013
Kenshi. Pls include Osaze nw cheesy grin

4 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by buoye1(m): 7:10pm On Nov 03, 2013
Great
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by pelhurmy(m): 7:12pm On Nov 03, 2013
walks in...

I just dey observe all una comments
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by kepsi123(m): 7:13pm On Nov 03, 2013
Operation revive shola career still on track
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Caracta(f): 7:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
Good list IMO. Ameobi though. *deep sigh* I don't even know why i am not feeling the guy.
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by ajoskele(m): 7:15pm On Nov 03, 2013
Where is Gbolahan Salami?..Our own Balotelli

1 Like

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by slimthugchimee(m): 7:17pm On Nov 03, 2013
K
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by handebayor: 7:18pm On Nov 03, 2013
Caracta: Good list IMO. Ameobi though. *deep sigh* I don't even know why i am not feeling the guy.

wow! Thought u aint a football fan
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 03, 2013
I just received my call up letter as d 26th player to join up wit d team #wish me well fellas! cool
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by DIVINE78: 7:18pm On Nov 03, 2013
sCun: Ameobi has no business being in the Super eagles team. Can you imagine him being our main striker vs Italy? The guy is pure shyte!
You still carry tribalism reach here? Na wa for you o.

2 Likes

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 03, 2013
Where is Sammy Ameobi on the list?

Naija also needs to send an invite to Jordan Ibe.

1 Like

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by kzokul(m): 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2013
There is a very young chap who is unarguably d best Nigeria playa presently playing in elche fc in their team B in spain...... He is d next Okocha of our generation and I tink Keshi and d NFF should check out 4 him...... He is Nwanaju Santoschris by name..... I bet he is a playa d world has been waiting 4.....

1 Like

Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by gbrown(m): 7:21pm On Nov 03, 2013
seankay: Where is Joel Obi nah?

gradually keshi has forgotten d midfield wonderkid of parma fc JOEL OBI, who the hell is Gabriel or shola amoabi?
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Caracta(f): 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2013
handebayor:
wow! Thought u aint a football fan

Well, i'm loyal to my club grin
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Dhortunn(m): 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2013
Re: Keshi Releases 25-man List For Ethiopia And Italy Matches. by Caracta(f): 7:29pm On Nov 03, 2013
shymexx: Where is Sammy Ameobi on the list?

Naija also needs to send an invite to Jordan Ibe.

Shola? Check forwards.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Congo AYC 2015 (4 - 1) On 11th March 2015 / Liverpool Are Set To Make Mane Their Highest Paid Player With New Deal / Nigeria Vs Zambia: Mikel, Ighalo, Ekong, Balogun, Ndidi, Iheanacho Arrived Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.