Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? (39267 Views)

How Foreign Bankers Lure Nigerian Elite To Early Graves / Ex-bankers Jailed 91 Years Over N114.6m Fraud (Photo) / Pools Bankers For The Week. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Smile4mee01: 9:43pm On Nov 03, 2013
I am currently a banker and have worked as a banker for about 4 yrs. I often dream of life outside banking, to be sincere i don’t love what i do, but that is what pays my bills. I recently moved to one of the top banks in Nigeria, but over here it is still the same sh*t. Even worse here is that I work 24/7, trust me, every day of the week. And it is beginning to hurt. I have no time for the things i love, i go to church sparingly, i am not growing, my life just seem to be all about work. It’s not funny anymore. I don taya.

Some collegues seem to have reached their comfort zone, I desire to be a business man/Investor, but this job is not even giving me time to try other things.
So to my ex-bankers, How is life outside banking? Did you wish you left earlier, or do u have regrets for leaving? There should be more to life than Banking.

17 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by uboma(m): 11:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
there is indeed MORE to life than banking especially when you are ready to live a simple life, cut down on unnecessary stuff and be determined to carve a niche out of banking. I have no regrets since i left banking some years ago, only wished i had done so earlier. Same goes for some of my former colleagues who are into other ventures. Always have a plan B during your stay @ the bank and learn to save because your savings may be all you have left when the chips are down. Some of us learnt the hard way but with perseverance in other positive pursuits along with prayers, we can overcome.
All the best

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 5:28am On Nov 04, 2013
Oduduwa Republic controls Nigeria"s financial System...its going to grow once Nigeria divides so stay fast bro!

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by DUNKA(m): 5:29am On Nov 04, 2013
uboma: there is indeed MORE to life than banking especially when you are ready to live a simple life, cut down on unnecessary stuff and be determined to carve a niche out of banking. I have no regrets since i left banking some years ago, only wished i had done so earlier. Same goes for some of my former colleagues who are into other ventures. Always have a plan B during your stay @ the bank and learn to save because your savings may be all you have left when the chips are down. Some of us learnt the hard way but with perseverance in other positive pursuits along with prayers, we can overcome.
All the best
GBAM!

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 5:31am On Nov 04, 2013
uboma: there is indeed MORE to life than banking especially when you are ready to live a simple life, cut down on unnecessary stuff and be determined to carve a niche out of banking. I have no regrets since i left banking some years ago, only wished i had done so earlier. Same goes for some of my former colleagues who are into other ventures. Always have a plan B during your stay @ the bank and learn to save because your savings may be all you have left when the chips are down. Some of us learnt the hard way but with perseverance in other positive pursuits along with prayers, we can overcome.
All the best

plan ahead n u will be fine but if u wait for them to lay u off e don be for u be that

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by AdekunleSegun(m): 5:32am On Nov 04, 2013
Always have a plan B during your stay

[size=13pt]please read my signature and contact me if you need it

a bulk sms API provider is needed ASAP. please read my signature for my contact info[/size]
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by AbdulAdam56(m): 5:33am On Nov 04, 2013
Banking suffer lipsrsealed
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Gifted4all(m): 5:38am On Nov 04, 2013
Honestly i do pity u guys in d banking sector.u gat no time for urself imagine u working 24/7 mennn dats modern day slavery.
#TEAM GOVT JOB#

16 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Jeezyy(m): 5:39am On Nov 04, 2013
I just love bank job

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by ochallo: 5:39am On Nov 04, 2013
One thing i learnt from working in the bank is that, despite anything, you have to know when to go all out and stress yourself and when to restrain, if you stepped out of the bank today, the bank would still function without you, even if they have to hire two people to do your work, they will. Putting your life at a standstill for a job that only pays the bills is a great risk especially if you don't even enjoy it. Presently i make 50k less than what i used to earn in the bank but my life is more meaningful and the future is clearer and brighter and in a few months, there is great hope for making 6 times what i make now, doing something that i love. This post would drive home what i am talking about.

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/03/job-offer-questions-to-ask-yourself.html

The bottom line is , do your work and plan your life, savings and future plans and go to a place of worship, there are church services that last just 2 hours now, the bank would not plan your life for you and if the bank job goes , you would realize how empty your life has been.

8 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by mercato: 5:43am On Nov 04, 2013
Plan ahead and always have a plan B.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by nerodenero: 5:44am On Nov 04, 2013
cramjones: Oduduwa Republic controls Nigeria"s financial System...its going to grow once Nigeria divides so stay fast bro!
Wetin this one dey talk

24 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Yommex15(m): 5:45am On Nov 04, 2013
There is so much noise about the banking sector and bankers back in the early 2000 and i would admit i was one of the lots who wanted to see things for themselves. I joined the sector in 2001 with the hope of leaving for a particular oil and gas firm in another 3 yrs.
Aside the initial euphoria of securing that job, like 2 years into it, i was bored sick with it (i'm a scientist by the way) inspite of my tremendous growth on the job. I eventually left for my dream job a little after 4 yrs on the job and believe me, it afforded me the opportunity of juggling my job with other businesses. I have my hands deep in a lot of investments as i much as i desire.
My advice, if you're feeling out of place and like 'you're not where you wanted to be', keep working but set your gaze on your dream and pursue it with all you have. Its only a matter of time before you land it.

12 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 04, 2013
All the best
Good one. Many only learn the hard way cos the salary as a banker makes one so relaxed like tomorrow will never come. Banking is a good profession cos you learn many things there. My advice to bankers is this. Try to learn all you could not only in your department but others, save a significant sum every month 4rm ur salary and keep saving for the next economic meltdown. Unfortunately,many always say "i reject it in Jesus Name" or exercise faith when they get bank job. I have seen people testify in church that they were not fired among many colleagues only for their sack letter 2 get to them following week. Take a loan, i mean a significant amount 4rm bank and buy plots of land somewhere. Real estate is good 4 you people cos it requires little attention cos when the "chips are down" you have something. Dont take loan 2 buy cars,do big wedding parties, get luxurious duplex in lekki, travel to london for 1 month leave. Be shrewd in investing cos nothing is forever. Above all,plan your exit as you get your appointment letter.

33 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by AnOlAd: 5:46am On Nov 04, 2013
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Ibyno(m): 5:46am On Nov 04, 2013
The world, is real funny, I dey pray hard morning and night to gain bank work and u are here complaining to leave, my brother a bird in hand worth thousand outside there . Use ur brain .

9 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 04, 2013
Investment bankers or Traditional Bankers(commercial)?

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 5:52am On Nov 04, 2013
My dear i'm so sorry about ur plight.Its really terrible well i have neva worked as a banker but i have a few friends who do...Just try to save enough as you work,coz i'm sure u knw dat banking jobs in Nigeria have no job security!

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by pendusky(m): 5:56am On Nov 04, 2013
SUBCRIBING
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by highlandre(m): 6:01am On Nov 04, 2013
If you see how my aunt is struggling to survive now (2 years after leaving Access Bank), you wouldn't believe she was that same person spending money like Dangote's daughter some years back.

The moral of the story is whether it's the Banking sector or Civil Service or Corporate World, spend judiciously and save wisely as if you'd be sacked the next day. Money is a traveler: it may be with you today, and tomorrow, go elsewhere.

'Had I known' won't be our anthem in Jesus name, amen. Blessed week!

49 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Willdidi(m): 6:04am On Nov 04, 2013
I presently work with a bank n I tell u is not easy u r so worn out each time wen u get home, my wife complain I don't hav time 4 her each time I get home I'm always very tired, I find it hard to stay awake up till 9pm, n d funny tin is dat ppl tink bankers has lots of moni but I tell u b4 n next pay day a lot of ppl r already begging 4 short loans till salary arrives, d more income u make d more expenses starts coming from no where. If ur not very discipline u can't manage ur moni well. And the truth b told if most of dis bankers r layed off with even two months notice I'm sure der will b left with jst a month pay cos der hav lots of debts to pay. My advise start saving seriously put somtin aside every month or start a small business incase of d unknown fuuture.

8 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Fazhy: 6:04am On Nov 04, 2013
cramjones: Oduduwa Republic controls Nigeria"s financial System...its going to grow once Nigeria divides so stay fast bro!

And you believe that will happen to Nigeria?

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by GentleMimi: 6:07am On Nov 04, 2013
And who are these ret*ards typing ''fullstops''.If you've got nofin meaningful to contribute to this topic,pls frigging GET OUT of this thread! Kids! I came here to learn smfin meaningful and apart frm the first comment after the OP and a few other ones,other comments na wash! Kai!
@OP,i am not a banker,but i've got siblings as bankers.I gotta say this....make meaningful investment while u can.Most bankers tend to b extravagant...i guess they hv an ''image'' to uphold? Infact,have a plan B if u're in a private orgnstn.I hope the bank work is not robbing u of ur personal life? You hv access to business info so u aint handicapped.Pls let ur mentality be ''this bank job is not for ever''.
All the best bro.I hope u get reasonable responses.

3 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by GentleMimi: 6:14am On Nov 04, 2013
maryjames9: Good one. Many only learn the hard way cos the salary as a banker makes one so relaxed like tomorrow will never come. Banking is a good profession cos you learn many things there. My advice to bankers is this. Try to learn all you could not only in your department but others, save a significant sum every month 4rm ur salary and keep saving for the next economic meltdown. Unfortunately,many always say "i reject it in Jesus Name" or exercise faith when they get bank job. I have seen people testify in church that they were not fired among many colleagues only for their sack letter 2 get to them following week. Take a loan, i mean a significant amount 4rm bank and buy plots of land somewhere. Real estate is good 4 you people cos it requires little attention cos when the "chips are down" you have something. Dont take loan 2 buy cars,do big wedding parties, get luxurious duplex in lekki, travel to london for 1 month leave. Be shrewd in investing cos nothing is forever. Above all,plan your exit as you get your appointment letter.
Good point on the ''loan'' idea.Unfortunately,most go ahead to buy cars,suits and shoes.Terrible liabilities!
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by oluwacjay: 6:15am On Nov 04, 2013
Ibyno: The world, is real funny, I dey pray hard morning and night to gain bank work and u are here complaining to leave, my brother a bird in hand worth thousand outside there . Use ur brain .

Bro unemployment is a bad tin. I used to tink like u untill I got a bank job we're I work 24/7. Sometimes, I'm too weak to wake on monday after workin on sunday. I wonder why I wld work sunday to sunday & weda mgt is cool wit it. If had known dose yrs I was unemployed I wld hav used it 2 do smetin even if its a small biz venture. Howeva d bank has provided jobs 4 pple wit nothin, but dnt be 2 comfy wit it. because I wrk sunday 2 sunday, my life is restricted 2 d office & even wen ders a biz opportunity, u jst find out dat its pple tryin 2 dupe u cos dey knw u dnt hav d time 2 research on d biz. God dey it will get better 4 me & oda bankers wokin 7 days a week.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by GentleMimi: 6:16am On Nov 04, 2013
Are u high on cornflakes?

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by ITbomb(m): 6:17am On Nov 04, 2013
The best advice for Bankers is Save wisely
I have seen ex bankers who live large now begging to eat.
Save as if you are keeping aside your pension.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 6:18am On Nov 04, 2013
maryjames9: Good one. Many only learn the hard way cos the salary as a banker makes one so relaxed like tomorrow will never come. Banking is a good profession cos you learn many things there. My advice to bankers is this. Try to learn all you could not only in your department but others, save a significant sum every month 4rm ur salary and keep saving for the next economic meltdown. Unfortunately,many always say "i reject it in Jesus Name" or exercise faith when they get bank job. I have seen people testify in church that they were not fired among many colleagues only for their sack letter 2 get to them following week. Take a loan, i mean a significant amount 4rm bank and buy plots of land somewhere. Real estate is good 4 you people cos it requires little attention cos when the "chips are down" you have something. Dont take loan 2 buy cars,do big wedding parties, get luxurious duplex in lekki, travel to london for 1 month leave. Be shrewd in investing cos nothing is forever. Above all,plan your exit as you get your appointment letter.
case closed. You said it all.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by maximunimpact(m): 6:19am On Nov 04, 2013
I love what I do dats wat matters! I find fulfilment in it, unlike d oda whiners and complainers am difrnt, givin my all, because I knw dats d job I was made 4. Am a happy man because I do wat I love!

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by anataala: 6:21am On Nov 04, 2013
is the best thing to happen to you. i work for 11 years as a banker voluntarily resign in 2011, i have not regret even in 1 day leaving the blood sucking predatory elites job called banking job.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 04, 2013
Their life is poor,they are soaking garri.no place to. Borrow from again. grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Amouna And Hauwa Indimi Graduate From Lynn University, Florida, USA. / CBN Adopts Flexible Exchange Rate Policy / Man Investigates Claim Made About A Chinese Store In Abuja With Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.