Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? (39265 Views)

How Foreign Bankers Lure Nigerian Elite To Early Graves / Ex-bankers Jailed 91 Years Over N114.6m Fraud (Photo) / Pools Bankers For The Week. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by GSKing: 8:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
masonkz:

LMAO!! grin

Girl easy! The job market is a very flexible one, so far as you have a good result. You mustn't work in a bank. Consulting and Audit firms come to mind.

thanks a lot. I'm grateful

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Tinyemeka(m): 8:55pm On Nov 04, 2013
oluwacjay:

Bro unemployment is a bad tin. I used to tink like u untill I got a bank job we're I work 24/7. Sometimes, I'm too weak to wake on monday after workin on sunday. I wonder why I wld work sunday to sunday & weda mgt is cool wit it. If had known dose yrs I was unemployed I wld hav used it 2 do smetin even if its a small biz venture. Howeva d bank has provided jobs 4 pple wit nothin, but dnt be 2 comfy wit it. because I wrk sunday 2 sunday, my life is restricted 2 d office & even wen ders a biz opportunity, u jst find out dat its pple tryin 2 dupe u cos dey knw u dnt hav d time 2 research on d biz. God dey it will get better 4 me & oda bankers wokin 7 days a week.
What do you do when you work Sundays? Infotech? ATM?

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Infomaz(m): 9:22pm On Nov 04, 2013
murphy02:

I agree with you except buying of share, taxi, marwa
After my resignation in 2009, Nigerian capital market almost killed me, i lost 80% of my 5yrs saving, as the price keeps dropping, i had to start again with almost nothing. i will advice you invest in real estate it pays, as you wont have time to monitor any taxi...

Sorry for what happened. I'm afraid, it's because you didn't have access to relevant information that would have enabled you to take timely action. When trading in shares you have to first of all defined your objectives: Are you buying for short, medium or long time term? Are you trading for bonus shares, dividends, or price increase? In addition, you have to define the point at which you take profit (20, 30, 50, 100% price rise?) similarly, at what point would you exit or cut loss (20, 30, 40, 50%... decrease in price) These in addition to the company trend for the pass 3 yrs, will equip you to make d right decision. The stock market to date have a daily turn over of 6billion naira and trust me, you can profit from it.

That said, your investment portfolio overtime, should be a mix of shares, real estate, physical business for cash flow, 'cooperative society' savings etc.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by modestdude(m): 10:23pm On Nov 04, 2013
peppy luv: ...Cuz of all the loan you collect at will to boost your fake life and pls those girls that come to sell 50k perfume and boxers to you which their father and boy friend cannot afford....very soon 'o ya eme gi voom n'anya'

#team teachers and farmers# gat tym to do other things aside these two jobs!

am so loving you dear #TEAM EDUCATION
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by joshneku: 10:56pm On Nov 04, 2013
Learnt a lot!
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by InvertedHammer: 1:30am On Nov 05, 2013
/
Being that banking is a highly unstable profession in Nigeria, I think every banker should treat each month
as their last month of employment and eschew extravagance cum intemperance.

A friend of mine that worked for Zenith was on edge throughout his five years with the bank. The inevitable happened but he was

better prepared. I guess the bottom line is not to get very comfortable with the banking job. That sector believes that everyone is

expendable. Perhaps they just love downsizing

//

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by scobaba: 6:15am On Nov 05, 2013
5yrs with 2 Banks. From customer service to Funds transfer, back to customer service, then cash and brief stint in marketing. As a Chatered Accountant, all these amounted to zero work experience as I got to know when I left banking completely April this year.

I got another job where I had to do core Accounting and to be honest, it has not been easy fitting in but oluwa wa. smiley

@Op...most people here have said it all. Upgrade urself academically esp professional qualifications, SAVE a part of ur income, invest in something economically productive, make good contacts among customers, ask God for guidance and most of all, have it @ the back of ur mind, dat the job may not be there for you tomorrow.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by knowledge4(m): 7:49am On Nov 05, 2013
I served 16 years with a 1st generation bank and quit voluntarily 5 years ago. I have fully adjusted and have no regrets leaving the banking industry.
Many ex-bankers hardly can stand on their feet after leaving the industry.
Many do not know what to do and have become stranded.
Many cannot convert their work experience to anything self employment apart from setting up a bank which many cannot do.
Many had no time to pay attention to anything else other than the banking job while in service, that's why they get stranded,being idea bankrupt.
I know many ex-banker colleagues who are still sitting at home wondering what to do and how to move on, two years + after quitting the industry.
They all make common mistakes:
1)desiring to continue with the same standard of living,while being unemployed, instead of adjusting to reality.
2) seek for another banking job instead of focusing on a self employment alternative and spend long years waiting for the new bank job to come.
3) seeking to start a business on a big scale rather than starting small and learning the ropes.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by goodtalk(m): 9:26am On Nov 05, 2013
Banking! Banking!! Banking Job!! T'he banking job is t'he best kind of job anyone can hope to have. Let me explain, as an ex banker myself i know there are challenges assosiated with t'he job but i assure u not every banker does sunday to satuday, infact 80% of bankers have there satudays and sundays free to them. T'he job gives u t'he opportunity to be friends with various categories of people in manufacturing, oil and gas, shipping, importation etc, infact d' list is endless, as u envariably manage there accounts[ money] in one way or t'he other. As a banker u must be forcused and determined from day one that t'he opportunities available in t'he bank must favour u. Step one, float your own company while still in banking employment, save and save and save and save and save at learst 50% of your salary monthly, save all your upfronts, car loan[ collect d' loan and dont buy any car} use staff bus if available and if not use public transport at least for your first 3yrs of getting d' job, just be disiplined with your savings. While i was still a banker we had collegues that will borrow money to fellow collegues with as much as 10% intreast. As a banker if u develop a biz sence early u will go very far! We had collegues that borrow money from t'he bank with there company names to sponsor LPO of Diesel supply to blue chip companies, my brother t'he banking industy is where t'he whole money in t'he economy is kept and if u use your head well and prayerfully craft a good investment and business plan and work at it with disciplin i assure u t'he sky will be your starting point.!. T'he reputation of t'he job gives favour with customers, if u have a shop for example, some of your customers in t'he bank can even give you goods on trust! Open ur eyes my friend! Dats all i will say for now!!!

4 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by lastpage: 9:30am On Nov 05, 2013
I have worked in the banking industry some years back and have left over a decade now.

My Opinion
: Keep enduring it as much as you can but the important thing is: What do you do with your MONEY?

You get well-paid, l know that, with all the "profit sharing, PDP, e.t.c" that you just see 'drop' into your account! grin

Save Money, Save Money and Save Money! Dont live life like the money will never stop flowing (that is how we banker's live life wink )

You will resign or get sacked, ONE DAY.

If you have "more than enough" savings by then, life will be a breeze for you.

Note:
*Dont save ALL your money in a single bank (it may collapse or SLS can just kill it out of anger! shocked ). Spread it in a few banks!

*Even more, dont keep your loot in your own bank where you work (your colleagues and Oga can see your balance all the time! )

*If you can, buy houses in "profitable areas". (l did not say "buy land", ...that one can be troubling). Dont mind the cost, even if it is only one you can afford, buy it expensive, in business areas like Mainland, Ikeja/Maryland/Palm Grove axis. Use it to tie your money down against inflation and it will give you revenue streams regularly.

*Have "Plan B" for your family (wife and children): 'Relocating' them used to be good back then but nowadays, l hear that the women "grow teeth" once they get 'status' abroad and think the husband who labored for them to come abroad is no longer useful. Think before you leap on this option as it might ruin your whole family set-up.

*Start a thriving business for your wife (worse if she works in the same industry like you!). Register a company, be the chairman and hold controlling share. Your wife will be M.D and let her manage it properly. Fund it well and keep an eye on the "books" regularly. As a banker, that should not be too hard for you.
*Dont invest your money in some get-rich-quick scheme! Thats one sure way to regret yourself. I warned you. wink

*Be wary of trying to be "Mr. Nice" to everyone that brings a problem to your door. They are the same people that will make fun of you if you dont plan well and suddenly, things are not as rosy as it used to be. Such is Life o! grin grin Help others but never at your own detriment.

*Finally, l know this will be difficult for you but if you can try, DEVELOP YOURSELF by taking professional courses otherwise, by the time you leave the bank job in future, you will be so outdated that you might not fit into any better position anywhere else!
E nor easy for somebody counting money to think about education but you will thank me for it later.

If you are focused and determined, banking is one of the best job l will do again, in my "youth-age" if l resurrect in another life. wink
Go in early, work very hard, make loads of dough and when it looks like shyte wants to happen, just ease out nicely and move on to plan B.

No shaking, Wish you luck.

Lastpage!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by legalwealth(m): 5:52am On Oct 02, 2014
AbdulAdam56: Banking suffer lipsrsealed

You are right!

You will agreed with with me that by its nature, Banking Job exposes bankers and bank workers to lot of financial information. In the same vein, the job requires the staff of bank (being public attendants) to look good at all time.

Read The Complete Truths & General Overview Of Bankers’ & Banking Life from http://ijamsolution.com/here-are-truths-general-overview-of-bankers-banking-life/ for more insight on bankers' and banking life! !!
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by olaide2k6: 4:34am On Sep 17, 2016
Good day, Interested investors can call me for discussion....i supply palm kernel nut (with lpo) to a ready made buyers. It is a sellers mkt and the demand is higher than the supply... the ROI is abt 250,000 per week with a capital of 4m - 5m.

Call or Whatsapp: +234-703-876-4240

Whatsapp only: +1-346-232-1596

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Favour6165: 11:34am On Apr 02, 2022
elothaddi:
For me and my friend. We left school at the same time, served same time, wrote bank test/interview at the same time, joined the bank at the same time, planned our exit time immediately after joining ( at least 2 years after joining ) , left for the UK to study but we sha suffer and struggle no be small, pray, plan and returned the same time, secured job with oil firms the same year, earning at least 3x what bank was paying us then.

Secret - Pray, plan and strategize well. SAVE OOOOOOOOOO ( back then people called me stingy person because they expect me to be buying them beer every weekend, colleagues then where collecting loans then to buy car, marry etc ). 3 months after we left almost every body was sacked in the branch and the branch is now more like a cash centre.

Like I just got an offer to start on Monday in a bank…and this exactly my plan to gather money with the help of my parents too and travel out ….i don’t see myself staying for more than a year so help me God

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Amouna And Hauwa Indimi Graduate From Lynn University, Florida, USA. / CBN Adopts Flexible Exchange Rate Policy / Addmoney Loan Goes Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.