Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,478 members, 7,770,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:36 AM

Vibrating Car Engine: Causes - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Vibrating Car Engine: Causes (34727 Views)

Vibrating Car (not Engine Seating) / Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by stolenstone: 7:51am On Nov 05, 2013
Good people of NL, how ya doing?? Pls I need expert or experienced advice frm you, I drive a 2003 Honda Accord-4cylinder. I noticed that the car engine vibrates alot at rest, or when the tachometer is a little above Zero but not One, or even in traffic jam when the engine aint doing much, its so worrisome that in such situation i have to switch the transmission to Neutral for it to remain calm, Most times when the AC is on and the tachometer is at a reading less than One, it vibrates vehemently. They've tried setting the car engine cos they said it might be low but it gave a temporary relief and then came back, I've been to several auto mechanics who have said so many things like the engine is weak, some said the engine seatings may be bad, some said i should give them the car so that they will loose the steering, engine and what have you to detect the problem, now that got me worried because it was gonna be an invasive approach to a seemingly small issue. Pls I need your input as to what could be the cause of the vibration and how to go about fixing it, the cost of such repairs and other useful maintenance tips for me and other auto users. Thanks folks
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:02am On Nov 05, 2013
a damaged plug can cause that, etc the list is endless

start by checking the plugs, then the coil pack/s, the leads if it has them

also scan the car

and also change the mechanic when they say the engine is weak what do they mean and also as them what causes the engine to be weak ?

every car has an idle speed and am sure it should be below 1 aka 1000 rpm but it doesnt mean it is the same for every car same idle at 650 some at 700 etc

6 Likes

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by nissparts(m): 9:20am On Nov 05, 2013
^Yep, sounds like misfire.
Start from a scan. If it is bad enough and has been going on for a while, a scan will tell you which cylinder(s) is misfiring then start by focusing on the coil in that cylinder, then go to the plugs, and if both are good then the injector.

3 Likes

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by stolenstone: 10:13am On Nov 05, 2013
wow!!! Amazing responses! I'll do just that. Thanks fellaz
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by 9jalite: 11:01am On Nov 05, 2013
Vibration in a car result to shaking and noises that can be quite alarming and sometimes scary. The cause may be: Worn Out Spark Plug.
Lose or Disconnected Hoses.
Broken Motor Mount.
Faulty or Poorly Adjusted Fuel Intake System.
Faulty Timing Belt.
Check the following and see.

2 Likes

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by wellmax(m): 1:13pm On Nov 05, 2013
Check for loose nuts and bolts around the engine.
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by zolajpower: 1:14pm On Nov 05, 2013
check your engine seat. my car has the same problem. a problem that occurs during traffic

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by Davidoff2000: 1:17pm On Nov 05, 2013
check ur compressor...u may hav installed a manual compressor wen ur car actually is supposed to use an automatic compressor..thats wat happens wen the car vibrates once the ac is on
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by deept(m): 1:17pm On Nov 05, 2013
theres somethng called the idle air control sensor (or somethng lke that). it controls air intake when engine is idle. that could be the problem, also try get your air intake system serviced

1 Like

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by GoodNigerian: 1:23pm On Nov 05, 2013
Scan your car. I do free scan for my colleagues in the office-V/I Lagos. Just yesterday, I scannned a Toyota camry, had its plugs changed after detecting engine misfire; the vibration stopped.
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by freety(m): 1:26pm On Nov 05, 2013
change d audle verve, and the engine seat also the timing of the engine can also be the fault and air flow meter
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by plainmirror(m): 1:28pm On Nov 05, 2013
Buy nd apply an engine coolant bt if symptom pesiSts afta 2days.....contact a nearby automobile workshop
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 05, 2013
Your engine seats are the culprits.

My car (accord 2004) put me through such.
The a/c in hold up na die - neutral used to save me the embarrassment when riding with girls.
I changed plug taya - platinum to regular etc till someone told me to try shaking the engine and if it moves then my mounts were bad. Changed th mounts/seat and it has been good - check with luvinhubby - if you're in Lagos. He's my supplier of parts I met on Nl

5 Likes

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by Ninilowo(m): 1:32pm On Nov 05, 2013
9jacrip: Your engine seats are the culprits.

The a/c in hold up na die - neutral used to save me the embarrassment when riding with girls.
I changed plug taya - platinum to regular etc till someone told me to try shaking the engine and if it moves then my mounts were bad. Changed th mounts/seat and it has been good - check with luvinhubby - if you're in Lagos. He's my supplier of parts I met on Nl
Thatz it.

1 Like

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by Nutase: 1:36pm On Nov 05, 2013
I experienced same and it took me almost a year to get it resolved in Apo, Abuja after jumping from one mechanic to another like a woman in search of a solution to her barreness . In fact what took me dia was my car a/c when I bumped into this mechanic who miraculously reduced d vibration from 100% to 8%.
He asked me to buy new engine seatings which I did, he now reconstructed it after taking some measurements and like magic d vibrations stopped.
I don't know for you but my own was caused by engine seatings.

2 Likes

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by 9jahubcom(m): 1:39pm On Nov 05, 2013
all the NL mechanics ....oya

1 Like

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by iyatrustee(f): 1:41pm On Nov 05, 2013
I had a similar experience with my car. My mechanic said it was the fuel pump that was responsible and made me change it. The thing stopped for a few weeks and started again. This time, he scanned and found out that the plugs were bad and ended up changing them. This morning (which is just about 2wks after changing the plugs) I found out the thing don begin dance skelewu again. Only thing is that me sef don ready for am as no mechanic go see my money chop dis time[s]and yes its a Mercedes wey hin parts dey cost[/s] embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by 50calibre(m): 1:45pm On Nov 05, 2013
From personal experience, few things comes to mind

- Perforated exhaust manifold
- Spark plugs, any faulty or spoilt one could cause lack of proper compression
- Poor fuel intake.

Or simply, engine is dead & needs changing.

1 Like

Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by RockMaxi: 1:46pm On Nov 05, 2013
9jacrip: Your engine seats are the culprits.

There you are! undecided
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by dammytosh: 1:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
Vibration will likely be your Engine Mount or Engine Seat.

Between, congrats. Nairalanders now know you drive a car. grin grin grin grin grin

God will provide for us too. tongue
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by olumaxi(m): 1:49pm On Nov 05, 2013
I would have loved to contribute but i dont have a car yet..sad face..
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by princeonx: 1:52pm On Nov 05, 2013
The type of gas/fuel you buy/use might be a reason too! Bad or mixed fuel can cause engine vibrate. If you were in the US I would've say buy the highest grade when next you fill your tank! All the same, next time you buy fuel, apply fuel treatment into your tank and avoid driving on "E" reserve. If your tank (bottom) is dirty which most tanks are, your injector will be sucking br.eas.t! Sorry! Sucking Yama-Yama from the tank come engine! Good luck!
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by esbjaygmailco(m): 2:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
tell ur Auto mechanic to check the engine damper (a rubber that absorb excessive vibration), if the rubbers are bad then he should change them, if the problem persist he should change the four sparking plugs. then the size of ur AC compressor can equally cause vibration, drive for certain distance without AC and see if it vibrates, if they check all these things and the problem still persist then its internal problem, they will have to check the connection from the piston to the connecting rod then to the crank shaft and probably change the crank shaft. with all these the excessive vibration must stop.

four cylinder engines firing order is 1 3 4 2 if thats not properly fixed, it can also cause vibration
Re: Vibrating Car Engine: Causes by lexyman(m): 2:07pm On Nov 05, 2013
stolen stone: wow!!! Amazing responses! I'll do just that. Thanks fellaz

Stolen stone !come back and share ur experience with us ... I believe someone as proffer a solution to u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

An Accident Involving A Drunk Driver At Ado Rd., Lagos (picture) / Mercedes Is Recalling The G65 Because It Can Go Too Fast Backwards / Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.