Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,883 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? (7425 Views)

Would You Advice Your Daughter/son To Marry Someone Like You? / How To Date, Marry & Fit Into The Life Of An Educated Professional Man / Women And Regret: When There Marry Someone Thinking He Is Rich(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by HisRib(f): 10:42am On Nov 05, 2013
I am not sure if it's a good idea because:

1) People are a product of their environment. If a person is comfortable with being raised in a single parent home, he won't have a problem raising his children in that kind of environment either.

2) History repeats itself.

3) A person who has divorced parents is more likely accept divorce as an option when they encounter hardships in their marriage.

4) Who will they go to for advice when facing marital problems?

What do you guys think? Would you feel comfortable marrying a person whose parents are divorced?
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 05, 2013
Nope! I would only feel comfortable marrying parents whose children are divorced.

1 Like

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by GentleMimi: 11:03am On Nov 05, 2013
@ OP,ur points are myopic and biased.If u judge a person by their parent's mistakes,then u are not better off than them.If the love of my life is frm a broken home,i'll deal wif him as an ''individual'',not his ''parent's product''.I'll speak to him abt his opinion on his parent's breakup.I'll also ask him if he has learnt anyfin/ lesson frm it.Dn't be surprised he'll end up being smarter than his parents and avoid making the same mistakes they did! Just give them a chance.

6 Likes

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by GentleMimi: 11:06am On Nov 05, 2013
tpacalipse: Nope! I would only feel comfortable marrying parents whose children are divorced.
huuun...?
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by nofij(m): 11:13am On Nov 05, 2013
GentleMimi: @ OP,ur points are myopic and biased.If u judge a person by their parent's mistakes,then u are not better off than them.If the love of my life is frm a broken home,i'll deal wif him as an ''individual'',not his ''parent's product''.I'll speak to him abt his opinion on his parent's breakup.I'll also ask him if he has learnt anyfin/ lesson frm it.Dn't be surprised he'll end up being smarter than his parents and avoid making the same mistakes they did! Just give them a chance.
GBAM!!!
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by demelza: 11:17am On Nov 05, 2013
Of course I will.
Most people in such situation learn a great deal from it and work to better their own relationships.
My Dad, for e.g, is from a divorced home but he promised himself that he wont bequeath such legacy to his children. My parents are going on strong 20yrs and counting.
Besides you get the added advantage of being with someone who knows what pitfalls to avoid in a relationship.
In summary, there aint nothing wrong wif it.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Caseless: 12:00pm On Nov 05, 2013
For reason number 3 and 4...it's a 'NO' frm me. I nor wan wahala!
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by LailaIkeji1: 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2013
My parents got separated when I was just 4 years old. I am 29 now and they are still not together.
I will celebrating my 5th wedding anniversary cum Nov 15th.

Having parents that are divorced/separated wasn't my fault. I didn't choose that for myself so y should we suffer for it.

As long as the girl's character is good, pleaseeee marry her.

Plan to make a video on how I conquered ds problem on my anniversary. My marriage has outlived my parents' n dats a big achievement for me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 05, 2013
It all depends on the individual. The poster has very valid points that should not be ignored. The first marriage we all see is our parents marriage and what happened in our parents marriage will have a huge effect on our views on marriage. Our parents are the ones that will give us our first views on marriage and if they could get it soo wrong, then the quality of advice we get may not be the best.

My opinion is that find out what caused the divorce. Also find out if both parents have moved on or if they both still hate themselves with a passion. Find out whether or not the divorce was due to violence or adultery or other forms of abuse.

My take is this avoid people from families that had very bitter divorces and the parents are still fighting each other. Truth is that these kind of parents use their children against each other and feed their children with horror stories about the other parent. You dont want to marry people with this kinds of baggage trust me. Also, thread carefully if it was a very abusive marriage. Just dont ignore these kinda warning signals.

While I will not say it is a no-no, but be careful when getting married to people from broken homes.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Woged2005(f): 1:29pm On Nov 05, 2013
@Op

1. Will you date or marry a person whose parents were a corrupt wealthy politician?
2. Will you date or marry a super rich corrupt pastor?
3. Will you date or marry a person who got wealthy investing in the stocks of an alcohol or cigaret manufacturing company?
4. Will you date or marry a person who got rich traveling abroad on tourist or student visa but stayed back there illegally to work?
5. Will you date or marry a medical doctor who gained admission into a university through bribes?
6. Will you date or marry a super-rich bank manager who got wealthy manipulating people's account?
7. Will you date or marry a 'man-of-god' who hangs out with corrupt politicians and accepts financial gifts from criminals?, etc

Point? If you wana judge people, there are many things to judge people on, and judge incorrigible not just in one aspect of life.

I will rather judge people by the strength of their character, achievements and meaningful contributions to humanity and not by the color of their skin, social background, religious beliefs or se*xual orientation. At all times we must respect diversity and have respect for individuals no matter what their situation in life is.

Answer: YES, I will date and marry a man whose parents were divorced if it's the will of God in my life, and he loves me.

God bless you all

12 Likes

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by GentleMimi: 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2013
Woged2005: @Op

1. Will you date or marry a person whose parents were a corrupt wealthy politician?
3. Will you date or marry a person who got wealthy investing in the stocks of an alcohol or cigaret manufacturing company?
4. Will you date or marry a person who got rich traveling abroad on tourist or student visa but stayed back there illegally to work?
5. Will you date or marry a medical doctor who gained admission into a university through bribes?
6. Will you date or marry a super-rich bank manager who got wealthy manipulating people's account?
7. Will you date or marry a 'man-of-god' who hangs out with corrupt politicians and accepts financial gifts from criminals?, etc

Point? If you wana judge people, there are many things to judge people on, and judge incorrigible not just in one aspect of life.

I will rather judge people by the strength of their character, achievements and meaningful contributions to humanity and not by the color of their skin, social background, religious beliefs or se*xual orientation. At all times we must respect diversity and have respect for individuals no matter what their situation in life is.

Answer: YES, I will date and marry a man whose parents were divorced if it's the will of God in my life, and he loves me.

God bless you all
And bless u too.I couldn't hv said it better.

1 Like

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by tpia5: 8:09pm On Nov 05, 2013
run it by whoever's advice you value (be it your parents or some other people).

assess their evaluation of the person then make your decision.

others cant make it for you unless you arent used to making decisions by yourself.

if you dont feel you can cope with whatever dysfunction the parents' divorce might have embedded in the person's character, its best to simply stick with people whose backgrounds you are comfortable with.

now, i think i typed this in plain english and neither is it rocket science. It is very easy to understand therefore i dont expect half bakeds to jump on the post or turn the thread into lala land.
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Kanwulia: 10:23pm On Nov 05, 2013
Yup!
After a THOROUGH examination of the family dynamics to ensure/ascertain THE NECESSARY KEY-INDICATORS for the MEASURES OF SUCCESS/FAILURE of the POTENTIAL relationship with my future spouse and in-laws. I want the BAREST-minimal effect from such COLLATERAL-DAMAGE-"SEQUELAE"(secondary/tertiary consequences) or negligible noticeable after-shocks of the DIVORCE-DYSFUNCTIONALITIES. . . WHICH IS ALWAYS A SURE-BANKER!!!! Most children, if not all. . .have problems with TRUST AND ACCEPTANCE!!!kiss

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. . . . .It really depends on how psycholgocally-damaged/emotionally-confident and stable they have become AFTER THE DIVORCE with the appropriate coping mechanisms. Just like with any other kind of familial networks. THERE MIGHT BE NO DIFFERENCE FROM OTHER FAMILIES such as THE-POLYGAMOUS BULL-PENS OR 'PSUEDO-SERIAL-MONOGAMOUS, DOG-OUTS'! kiss

Is the spouse CAPABLE of giving and RECEIVING friendship and love? Is he/she ALWAYS BITTER AND MOSTLY WITHDRAWN? kiss

How MENTALLY-STABLE is he or she?
How approahable is he or she?
Is he or she able to maintain the necessary boundaries required to sustain both platonic and intimate relationships?
How easily hurt or forgiving is he or she?
IS HE OR SHE a HAPPY OR SADISTIC CREATURE. . .? wink
Is he or she spiteful or pessimistic about life in general? kiss
MOST IMPORTANTLY. . .IS HE OR SHE AN ABUSIVE PERSONALITY. . .given to NEGATIVE THOUGHTS AND SELF-DESTRUCTIVE IMPULSES?
What is the relationship with his or her family? kiss
Is the individual PROGRESSIVE OR RETROGRESSIVE? kiss
Is he or she given to unnecessary ENVY of others. . . and UNHEALTHY RIVALRY AND COMPETITION? kiss
IS HE OR SHE WITH A VICTIM OR SURVIVOR COMPLEX? kiss

HOW NORMAL IS HE OR SHE. . . ? kiss
Do WORDS AND ACTION harmonize with this individual? kiss
IS HE OR SHE A BULLY?. . . .A KEY FEATURE IN INSECURE INDIVIDUALS. . . WHO LOVE TO PUT OTHERS DOWN TO MAKE HIM OR HERSELF FEEL BETTER. . .ESPECIALLY WHERE THE ABANDONED ROLE-MODELS WHERE NEVER AROUND TO TEACH THEM SELF-RESPECT AND RESPECT FOR OTHERS?
MANY. . . MANY. . . MANY QUESTIONS AND OBSERVATIONS. . . .

A case study. . . ! kiss

1 Like

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by HisRib(f): 12:51am On Nov 06, 2013
Interesting responses. Looks like everyone is for it. I'm not 100% against it, but I have my reservations when it comes to dating someone who comes from a broken home. I just feel like they are prone to behave in a manner that is familiar to them. When trouble arise in the home -- divorce might just be an easy option for them.

But, you had some great points!
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by tpia5: 2:10am On Nov 06, 2013
The choice remains yours.

Is someone forcing you to marry a product of a broken home?

If its not something you want to do, then dont.

There's no need to ruminate over it.
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Kanwulia: 2:11am On Nov 06, 2013
IF YOU COME A NON-BROKEN HOME, THEN LOOK FOR A MATE FROM A NON-BROKEN OR SINGLE PARENT HOME LIKE YOU! PERIOD! kiss
Goodu luk o! cheesy

Ha!
In this day and age where BORN-AGAIN CHRISTIANS ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF DIVORCE. . . Some are spritually married to JESUS CHRIST. . .AND PHOCK GOD EVERY NIGHT EVEN ON TOP OF THEIR SPOUSES. . . . cheesy

Given the fact that by the time you find that YOUR GOLDEN SPOUSE, 100% of marriages end up in EMOTIONAL DIVORCE. . .aka living separate lives UNDER THE SAME ROOF or NAME ONLY. . . LIKE MINE. . . . .AND LOOOOOOOOOOOOVING IT!!!! cool
Abi you see wrinkle for my ikebe? wink
I wish you all the best in life! kiss
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by AbuMikey(m): 9:41am On Nov 06, 2013

OP, who do you want to marry?

The divorced parents or your spouse? undecided

Then why are you asking if you should marry someone with divorced parents?undecided

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by tpia5: 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2013
someone whose parents are not divorced might not be able to relate well with divorced inlaws. Or vice versa.

its not just about marrying the person alone, the person came from a particular family dynamic which should not just be glossed over [ignored] as if it doesnt matter.

it does.

1 Like

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by HisRib(f): 7:57am On Nov 18, 2013
tpia@:
The choice remains yours.

Is someone forcing you to marry a product of a broken home?

If its not something you want to do, then dont.

There's no need to ruminate over it.

I just asked a question. Stop acting like a 3-year old child. If you don't like the question, leave the room.
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by NEROSKY(m): 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2013
HisRib:

I just asked a question. Stop acting like a 3-year old child. If you don't like the question, leave the room.

Why should you ask such a useless questions? Is like you have taken too much of foreign season films, instead of you to concentrate on the love you have for ur partner you're concentrating on history, you need a cognitive therapy

1 Like

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by lafex: 2:23pm On Nov 18, 2013
op has very good points. I will like to contribute by given two practical examples.
1. My mother is from a broken home, though she survive her relationship with my dad without any divorce for over 35yrs. BUT now my first sister had a broken home after 10yrs of marriage with 4children. While my dad is trying to settle the matter, my mum always say that there is no big deal in such, since she is from broken home she don't believe my sister and her children will bear the cost also
2. My girl friend is from broken home and this makes her not to give guys much regard/love necessary to the extend that this has cost her two differend relationships. I am trying to talk to and change her opion 'guys are not reliable' as she does say and act but I have not seen any changes in her. This make me to break up with her soon.
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by NEROSKY(m): 3:03pm On Nov 18, 2013
lafex: op has very good points. I will like to contribute by given two practical examples.
1. My mother is from a broken home, though she survive her relationship with my dad without any divorce for over 35yrs. BUT now my first sister had a broken home after 10yrs of marriage with 4children. While my dad is trying to settle the matter, my mum always say that there is no big deal in such, since she is from broken home she don't believe my sister and her children will bear the cost also
2. My girl friend is from broken home and this makes her not to give guys much regard/love necessary to the extend that this has cost her two differend relationships. I am trying to talk to and change her opion 'guys are not reliable' as she does say and act but I have not seen any changes in her. This make me to break up with her soon.

If you see the possibility that he/she can't keep the relationship or are not relationship/marriage material, why the hesitation? Call it a quit, buh if both of you are good together like bread & butter, why considering the history Wetin concern bicycle with filling station...
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by lafex: 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2013
NEROSKY:

If you see the possibility that he/she can't keep the relationship or are not relationship/marriage material, why the hesitation? Call it a quit, buh if both of you are good together like bread & butter, why considering the history Wetin concern bicycle with filling station...
I just bring the story here to support the matter on ground. You can read again to understand me better
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2013
WHY NOT....
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by AbuMikey(m): 4:38pm On Nov 18, 2013
tpia@:
someone whose parents are not divorced might not be able to relate well with divorced inlaws. Or vice versa.

its not just about marrying the person alone, the person came from a particular family dynamic which should not just be glossed over [ignored] as if it doesnt matter.

it does.

Wallahi!!!

Even a Chimpanzee know that you are one Confused fellow angry

Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Ards1950: 4:12pm On Nov 27, 2017
Woged2005:
@Op

God bless you all
Woged2005:
@Op

God bless you all

You judge people based on their achievements?? So u would judge a person who is a benevolent janitor, over someone who is a benevolent doctor, because they achieved more?

If someone went through life with a low profile job, but helped people and was kind to them along the way, u would still judge them because of their lack of "achievements"?

Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but you are coming across very shallow.
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by sisisioge: 5:48pm On Nov 27, 2017
Sebi na their parents I wan date kwanu?
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by general111(m): 6:47pm On Nov 27, 2017
It all depends on the individual. The poster has very valid points that should not be ignored. The first marriage we all see is our parents marriage and what happened in our parents marriage will have a huge effect on our views on marriage. Our parents are the ones that will give us our first views on marriage and if they could get it soo wrong, then the quality of advice we get may not be the best.

My opinion is that find out what caused the divorce. Also find out if both parents have moved on or if they both still hate themselves with a passion. Find out whether or not the divorce was due to violence or adultery or other forms of abuse.

My take is this avoid people from families that had very bitter divorces and the parents are still fighting each other. Truth is that these kind of parents use their children against each other and feed their children with horror stories about the other parent. You dont want to marry people with this kinds of baggage trust me. Also, thread carefully if it was a very abusive marriage. Just dont ignore these kinda warning signals.

While I will not say it is a no-no, but be careful when getting marrd to people from broken homes.
i wantedt to say something until i saw this post...you must have grey hairs,cos you sound so wise.
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by Evacroft: 10:25pm On Nov 27, 2017
No, marry someone who u think has a stable background and still end up divorcing, ;Dafterall some people who end up in divorce grew grew with both parent under same roof. If u no marry others will.
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by lizakon001(f): 8:01am On Nov 28, 2017
Most of them are very good lovers
Re: Would You Date/marry Someone With Divorced Parents? by benzion72(m): 11:09am On Nov 28, 2017
There are error in your premises so your conclusion is not sound. What is the contribution of a 5 years old to the divorce of his or parent.

So we should start stigmatizing children from broken home. I believe contrawise such people will guard their home to avoid repetition of their own experience in their home

(1) (Reply)

Why The Need For Intra Tribal Martial Issues Among The Yorubas / Help Me: My Husband Wants To Run A Dna Test On Our 5 Children / I Am No Longer Interested In Sex With My Hubby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.