Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,809 members, 7,802,587 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? (20966 Views)

The Secret Behind Storing Yams So It Doesn't Grow Moulds / Foods That Increase Your Chances Of Having Twins / Can Eating Too Much Pineapple Cause Diabetics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
I understand that there's a particular yam in Ondo state called yellow yam. . . its usually harvested late after the normal new year festival. To get twins, it is most effective when pounded also, unlike other yams its comes out smooth (seedfree) in less than 3mins of pounding and it 'draws'... so yes depending on the yam that of Ondo state is highly prolific in terms of fertility + the twins are usually identical( same placenta) however, its not genetic as its a form of environment- diet to be specific.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Rastamann: 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
Not only eating yam, why you no turn yourself to yam to be able to get twins?
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Hadeehart101(f): 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
My mum eats yam like yam's not going to exist tommorrow and she never gave birth to twins. She even makes my elder sister eat yam but still, no twins. angry

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by ireneidiva(f): 2:59pm On Nov 06, 2013
You will only end up being as fat as a drum if u eat yam everyday!

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
ireneidiva: You will only end up being as fat as a drum if u eat yam everyday!
n possibly diabetic much later
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by buoye1(m): 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
How is it related 4 christ sake!!!
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by AdeniyiA(m): 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
Afam4eva: I know about Okro and not Yam. There's a town in Kwara state that has the highest number of twin births in Nigeria and they eat Okro like no tomorrow.
Okra
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by buoye1(m): 3:05pm On Nov 06, 2013
icebebe: na so ma mama tel me o
Ur mama na tradition ist?
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by buoye1(m): 3:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
devour129: i heard if you want a baby girl,eating the back of yam(yam peel) guarantees that
. A boy nko?u go go dey chop lizrd+cockroach....smello

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nokio1: 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2013
Very true especially when eaten raw without peeling....Goodluck
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by ladyonthemove: 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2013
My late grandma was actually a yam lover and she had 3 sets of twins during her lifetime! grin No kidding!
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by deebrain(m): 3:19pm On Nov 06, 2013
cheesy

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
One will only end up having yam leqs undecided ....#iJoshy
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by 50calibre(m): 3:26pm On Nov 06, 2013
Yes it's true, that's why I dread Yoruba girls, they can turn a young guy into a father of multitude.

One Yoruba woman had sextuplets (6 children) at one go, her husband committed suicide.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by AdeniyiA(m): 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2013
Yams have discovered plans by twins lovers to launch unto it 'eating attacks' ,
they have however developed a specie to launch a counter attack called 'hitting attack '

2 Likes

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by deols(f): 3:29pm On Nov 06, 2013
Afam4eva: I know about Okro and not Yam. There's a town in Kwara state that has the highest number of twin births in Nigeria and they eat Okro like no tomorrow.

It is Igbo ora in OYo state and not Kwara

They attribute it to yam and also Okro.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by MrAboki: 3:50pm On Nov 06, 2013
My wife wan use Yam kill me for house because of twins?!

I don beg her say make she come make we go do IVF she no gree.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by stitcheD(m): 4:18pm On Nov 06, 2013
Lilimax:
You've answered the question.
It's just one ot these superstitious belief undecided
Op is right. In medicine,western Nigeria is attributed to having the highest percentage of twin pregnancies. And the chief suspect is yam of course because of the phytoestrogens op mentioned.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by polokor60(m): 4:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
ireneidiva: You will only end up being as fat as a drum if u eat yam everyday!
Strauskhan1: One will only end up having yam leqs undecided ....#iJoshy
grin grin,funny peeps
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by animari(f): 4:43pm On Nov 06, 2013
[color=#770077][/color] wow!! I had twins the old fashioned way heheheh
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Gwekzy: 4:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
Na which kind rubbish thread be this

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Stunner1(f): 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2013
Nokio1: Very true especially when eaten raw without peeling....Goodluck

grin grin dz is wickedness
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by tpia5: 5:09pm On Nov 06, 2013
Gwekzy: Na which kind rubbish thread be this

they dont even know which state to mention, they're just circling round yoruba states to see where they can land.
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by JoyNHope(f): 5:16pm On Nov 06, 2013
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by hitman2911: 5:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
Some experts believed that high content of plant hormone phytoestrogen in yam and cassava is more likely to be responsible for the release of 2 or more eggs on monthly basis during menstrual cycle.
However, there is really no strong scientific evidence to support this claim. Okro and Agida (a vegetable) also have high level of phytoestrogen. All these are consumed on daily basis by the Yorubas.
The yam species regularly consumed by the Yorubas contain Diosgenin which can be used to commercially produce Progesterone and other hormones same as a wild yam known as Mexico yam which was used to produce hormones in the 1960s. However diosgenin can't be converted to estrogen in the human body after consumption.
Genetic predisposition has a stronger association than dietary link. Many tribes and groups in Nigeria do also consume yam but do not have as much twinning rates as the Yorubas.
For epidemiologists who may be interested in this study, Yoruba women in diaspora who are not consuming yam will serve as a control for this research.

3 Likes

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by RockMaxi: 5:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
@OP, no vex kindly add Beans and Red oil join just to complete the rituals..
tongue shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by willyray(m): 5:57pm On Nov 06, 2013
no way
[img]http:///ogPF/.jpg[/img][img]http:///ogPN/.jpg[/img]
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 06, 2013
Yorubas are the only people in the world that have high multiple birth rate... Yorubas are the only tribe i know that have traditional name for Triplet... We have Taiwo, Kehinde and Eta Oko... And da subsequent children that follow twins are naturally called IDOWU, ALABA and IDOGBE... And they have dia individual oriki.. Marry slessor dnt stop killing of TWINS among my people sha... @OP Eating yams alot helps in Multiple buh nt every yam... It's wild yam
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 06, 2013
Is not every yam... There is specific yam species i've forgoten the name yorubas do call it... I tink is da one yorubas used in making Yam cake (OJOJO) Is either one of Egbodo, dagi dagi, or ewura... I will try and confirm... Sha... IT IS A WILD YAM NOT EVERY YAM FOUND ONLY IN YORUBALAND...MOSTLY OYO AND ONDO... Who they hide my post.... TRIBALISM OR WAT Are u da one1 OMO GBEWURE
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 06, 2013
GOD i want twins!
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Heyliesha(m): 6:22pm On Nov 06, 2013
future wife...wat are u waiting 4?
Re: Can Eating Yams Really Give You Twins? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 06, 2013
Olamagnifico: Is not every yam... There is specific yam species i've forgoten the name yorubas do call it... I tink is da one yorubas used in making Yam cake (OJOJO) Is either one of Egbodo, dagi dagi, or ewura... I will try and confirm... Sha... IT IS A WILD YAM NOT EVERY YAM FOUND ONLY IN YORUBALAND...MOSTLY OYO AND ONDO... Who they hide my post.... TRIBALISM OR WAT Are u da one1 OMO GBEWURE
but even this yam you're talking about is called ewura or water yam, and contrary to ur opinion i think its peculiar to the ijebus not oyo and ondo. Infact ikokore na the number one ijebu food and its made from this water yam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Afang Soup / Yoruba Cuisines To Try / What Is The Strangest Thing You Know You've Ever Eaten? (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.