Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (639444 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by humblesteve(m): 2:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
Can't find Kayode@ op

Well done oh

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 2:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
Worof Chinese names?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Slizbeat(m): 2:47pm On Nov 09, 2013
Secret_Dreams: Proud Yoruba boy ! I'm sure igbo people will bring out a similar thread soon.

Just as you posted, in a short while. You will see names you've never heard before. All these names have been allowed to die as a result of preference to another.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by boniflex(m): 2:47pm On Nov 09, 2013
Typical yoruba thread..... Nke a bu inwe efe. #hiss#
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PassingShot(m): 2:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
Not attempting to discredit your effort but you've given literary meanings to many of the names. It doesn't work like that in many cases. For instance, "Yewande" cannot be literally translated to "mother looked for me". I'm sure you know it doesn't really mean that. It's actually a name given to a girl whose grand mother just passed away shortly before her birth. Yorubas use it more as a symbol and remembrance of the event rather than anything else.

Cheers.

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by horchukoh(m): 2:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
Op well done i think we should start posting our tribe names and their meaning in english that will be easy.Mine is ogheneochuko meaning God is my helper
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by REVOLUTNIS: 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2013
What a nonsense
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by LMAyedun(m): 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2013
AYEDUN - Life is sweet/Good.

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by badmeat(m): 2:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
DENRELE:,A female child born with a moustache with an axial rod below his abdomen,undecided

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by femi4: 2:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
Who can tell me the meaning of "ALAMPASU"?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 09, 2013
Tiwatope means "Break and open" in Igbo grin grin grin

#TeamGOM

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by geeez: 2:54pm On Nov 09, 2013
Impressive

This is just mind blowing

If we can have several compendiums of English names, why shouldn't we for Yoruba names

Proudly Yoruba

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by iterator25: 2:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
ednut1: My name means warrior has come home , hehehehe, me wey no fit kill rat
you mean head nut
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
Even some Bible names are negative. yet some still ignorantly name their child such. Jacob -means a cheat. Peter -means unstable.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ghettodreamz(m): 2:56pm On Nov 09, 2013
Cool...

Proudly Yoruba!

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Sike(m): 2:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
Yorubas are Blessed and they knew it.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by H0lYSm00shTM: 2:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
Proudly Adewale Adeoti
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nicepoker(m): 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2013
op are you working in a maternity home?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ambgiano(m): 3:01pm On Nov 09, 2013
I love this. Good job OP. ThankGod I am Idemudia, meaning I refuse to fall.
Ishan nor de carry last!!!
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Heliesha: 3:01pm On Nov 09, 2013
some name are actually missing the o.p didnt mention names like Ifashola, ifaseyi, ogunbiyi, ogunesan e.t.c. Am sure u know wat i mean
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
[size=28pt]OP YOU ARE USELESS!

YOU LEFT ALL THE OLD PAGAN YORUBA NAMES LIKE OGUNSEYI, SANGOLEYE, IFASEYI, IFADOJA, IFABEMIGA, IYAIBEJI, IYAMI, OSUNLADE, ESUBIYI , etc.

YOU ARE BIASED!
[/size]

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Heliesha: 3:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
some names are actually missing the o.p didnt mention names like Ifashola, ifaseyi, ogunbiyi, ogunesan e.t.c. Am sure u know wat i mean

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 3:03pm On Nov 09, 2013
Some people might end up pulling names out of a hat.

I pity dem pikin, but oh well.

Its all good.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by femi4: 3:04pm On Nov 09, 2013
shollaire: Even some Bible names are negative. yet some still ignorantly name their child such. Jacob -means a cheat. Peter -means unstable.
Peter means rock: Upon this "Rock" will I built my church
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by GSKing: 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2013
@op what about OSHINAIKE = it came from nyash

It's a Yoruba name but that's how it's translated in my language...

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2013
Heliesha: some names are actually missing the o.p didnt mention names like Ifashola, ifaseyi, ogunbiyi, ogunesan e.t.c. Am sure u know wat i mean

IKR!

whats the point of this post?

"LEave out the white names"

TUFIAKWA! angry

OP must stop being a coward and clean out his motives first.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by oyedun82(m): 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2013
buh my name is not there

oyedun chieftancy is sweet
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Mickey7(m): 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
Wicked nigerians! Change! Change! No b to answer oluwa dis oluwa dt and to dey sleep for church! Change!
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by olanre12(m): 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
well done, i really appreciate your effort
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by dridowu: 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
Idowu on point
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by funnyx(m): 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
Thank you OP, what a brilliant effort!

Proudly Yoruba kiss
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by maipeople(m): 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
What of "Kafayat"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)