Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,021 members, 7,803,430 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (639030 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ladionline: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2013
afreekah: OP , why nah ? IBIKUNLE IS THERE, WHAT OF AMOSUN ? ABEG HELP ME FIND AM. . .

amosun means one who takes osun. Osun is Yoruba for camwood, and it is also found in thi expression "agan a towo ala bosun" an idiom meaning a barren would deep their white hands in camwood, 'a fi pomo lara' and then rob it on their child. Amosun thus mean someone who reach for the camwood. Also, Osun is Yoruba subtle word for Oshun. as such it has to do with spring, as they say sun, to issue sweat. But more poetically it means "one who reach for the spring." But historically it is inbetween lightskin and tan skin: a creole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ladionline: 11:34am On Nov 11, 2013
gracy83: Okunola------- rope of wealth
chord of wealth,
sea of wealth. possibilities.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by DataFusion: 12:29pm On Nov 11, 2013
Please what is the meaning of:

Alaka
Alakija
Atanda
Apeke
Abayomi
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ladionline: 1:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
DataFusion: Please what is the meaning of:

Alaka
Alakija
Atanda
Apeke
Abayomi
ALAKA is about 3 variants: aka (vault) as found in 'awor re mbe l'aka' and aka 2 means swinging fruit as in 'agba bi...' (swinging like) aka or pluck-able. Thus Alaka means vault owner, revolver or plucker. ALAKIJA means 'strong in battle'. ATANDA means a child that has to be conceived in a subtle way for his value, or a 'child [product] of light.' APEKE means one that is cater to by crowd. ABAYOMI means i would have been rejoiced upon. The collection is okay.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
Abayomi is ota iba yo mi sugbon Oloun ni o je.

One of the longest yoruba names ever.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
macof: good point when u consider Balogun and Abisogun

Its not news to anyone who knows yoruba.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 1:37pm On Nov 11, 2013
ladionline: ALAKA is about 3 variants: aka (vault) as found in 'awor re mbe l'aka' and aka 2 means swinging fruit as in 'agba bi...' (swinging like) aka or pluck-able. Thus Alaka means vault owner, revolver or plucker. ALAKIJA means 'strong in battle'. ATANDA means a child that has to be conceived in a subtle way for his value, or a 'child [product] of light.' APEKE means one that is cater to by crowd. ABAYOMI means i would have been rejoiced upon. The collection is okay.

Apeke should be call to cherish, not so?

One of those lovey dovey yoruba names i should think.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 11, 2013
ladionline:

Ajiun is from aji-wun, meaning 'someone who is pleasant as she wakes.'
ajiun is someone you desire each time she wake up in the morning or so.
You can comparatively observe it yourself in close kin, "eji wun mi". Can you see it?
when put to use, the letter w is silenced, we call it silent letter. Don't we?
And without 'w' you may not arrive at the name's truest meaning.
sometimes words being concealed are in utter simplicity.

The ancient Yoruba describe one of their ancestors "Odunnwo"
This means, pleasant to behold, so Ajiun is a feedback to this.

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
ladionline:

Ajiun is from aji-wun, meaning 'someone who is pleasant as she wakes.'
ajiun is someone you desire each time she wake up in the morning or so.
You can comparatively observe it yourself in close kin, "eji wun mi". Can you see it?
when put to use, the letter w is silenced, we call it silent letter. Don't we?
And without 'w' you may not arrive at the name's truest meaning.
sometimes words being concealed are in utter simplicity.

The ancient Yoruba describe one of their ancestors "Odunnwo"
This means, pleasant to behold, so Ajiun is a feedback to this.

Thanks alot for the info.
God bless you.smiley
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ona2: 2:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
ladionline:

Ona has to do with creativity, trade, and dealbrokerage. From this we have onaja or onoja: a variant of Ona is Ota or Ora or Oloja. ths particularly crept into Ifa as awon omo oloja merindinlogun. From this same ona, the ancient Yoruba derive the word "anago". it still feature in people's name till date, expecially among the Ijebus.

Albeit, Ona definitely has to do with way. In my community people says "wori woku ona koiwa" This were olorishas, and that ona has to do with the route of migration.
lol, my mum back then was always calling one man baba anago. i thot that was because the man was a watch repairer. thanks for enlightening me. i'll stick with the creativity, trade thing. onafadekemi, my trade had blessed me with a crown, isnt it?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 2:24pm On Nov 11, 2013
ona means way, its use in a name should imply an esoteric/metaphysical association.

like ifa, ogun, etc, names.

awo,
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PrinceJustice(m): 4:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
tayooluwole: OGUNYEMI: god of iron pleases me
OGUNDEPO: god of iron has ascended a thrown
OGUNOWO: god of iron has respect
OGUNDEYI: god of iron turn to this..
OGUNSHAKIN: god of iron exude valor
What of OGUN STATE
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ladionline: 6:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
Prince Justice:
What of OGUN STATE
I think this has to do with Wole Soyinka suggesting that the state be so called when it was about to be created. The state was named after odo [river] Ogun, which run through the state capital, etc. and emptied to the Lagoon somewhere at mcwen, via bonny camp. V/I.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lineal: 6:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
Does anyone know when is it appropriate to name a child Babatunde or Iyabo and all its variants?

I'm not asking for the meaning. I just want to get feedback on the timeliness of it.

For example, how much time needs to elapse between the passing away and new birth?
If a child is born close to the anniversary of the passing away, does that also qualify?

Thanks.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by macof(m): 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2013
Wat about Ogunleye. I don't know the meaning of "leye"
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by simdam500(m): 6:56pm On Nov 11, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

slave name.
i see *your name tells it all*
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lineal: 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
macof:

Those names are given to reincarnated children. Usually reincarnation of one their grandparents. If you have course to believe ur kid is the reincarnation of one of ur parents these names are perfect

I forgot about the reincarnation part. I was thinking more of the honouring the deceased part.

I guess you can still give the child the same name as the deceased, but leave out the Babatunde.

Thanks.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by MOORCHMOORE(m): 10:43pm On Nov 11, 2013
Good compilation you got there only that the ola list sounds like Titles and not name. I cant imagin some one name as Olagoke "Wealth climbs hill" in my place you take it as title.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PrinceJustice(m): 5:45am On Nov 12, 2013
ladionline: I think this has to do with Wole Soyinka suggesting that the state be so called when it was about to be created. The state was named after odo [river] Ogun, which run through the state capital, etc. and emptied to the Lagoon somewhere at mcwen, via bonny camp. V/I.

THANKS FOR THE INFO
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 7:52am On Nov 12, 2013
Class captain1:
Nigel means Im.becile in Igbo........ grin grin grin grin

ur papa angry
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by omoodeogere(m): 12:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
lirusehn: who ar d YORUBAs ?
pls ask google
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Ronke84(f): 4:56pm On Nov 24, 2013
What is the meaning of Ronke? My baba named me Aderonke and he named my daughter Moronke. In which he says Moronke=Spoiled Rotten and Aderonke=something about bringing treasures. Per the meanings I see for Ade or Aderonke don't add up to what he told me.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by macof(m): 10:36am On Nov 25, 2013
Ronke84: What is the meaning of Ronke? My baba named me Aderonke and he named my daughter Moronke. In which he says Moronke=Spoiled Rotten and Aderonke=something about bringing treasures. Per the meanings I see for Ade or Aderonke don't add up to what he told me.

Moronke-I see someone to take care of
Aderonke- the crown sees someone to take care of
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 27, 2013
Please,what's the real meaning of alabi
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ayyoshert: 10:22am On Nov 29, 2013
Hello my people
am yoruba from Ekiti State.
but i got some Ekiti Names here
maybe somebody can translate.
Ijadogan
Osatuberu
Osatuyi
Odiako
Aki
Faparusi
Olonishakin
Pereao.

Bless.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by KDULAR: 11:21am On Nov 30, 2013
This is not an issue of Christians , I gave you where you could trace these names where you'll see the prefix ogun in names meaning war ( Ijaye in Abeokuta. I don't use my foreign names given me in fact, ore my middle name has the prefix - Odu.
PAGAN 9JA:

I see you are Yoruba so I believe you.

these xtians try to hide the true meaning of the names.

I was suspicious before. now its confirmed.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ladionline: 7:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
Arcsniper: Please,what's the real meaning of alabi
'Child of white' etymologically, the Yoruba have a patriarch Orisala, he is white and he stand for that memorial in Yoruba pantheon, just like this name. A similar one is salako. This mean 'pakaja' tying white clothe about the neck and the body.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ladionline: 7:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
Arcsniper: Please,what's the real meaning of alabi
'Child of white' or 'white child', etymologically, the Yoruba have a patriarch Orisala, he is white and he stand for that memorial in Yoruba pantheon, just like this name. A similar one is salako. This mean 'pakaja' tying white clothe about the neck and the body.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 01, 2013
ladionline: 'Child of white' or 'white child', etymologically, the Yoruba have a patriarch Orisala, he is white and he stand for that memorial in Yoruba pantheon, just like this name. A similar one is salako. This mean 'pakaja' tying white clothe about the neck and the body.
thanks, i don't c d reason for d name
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ladionline: 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2013
Arcsniper:
thanks, i don't c d reason for d name
I do, its an 'artifact name'. Thanks.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by toygod2: 2:54am On Dec 14, 2013
omo, u get time o. Haba,for all these
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by oyinbogirl(f): 11:30am On Dec 29, 2013
this must have taken ur time, anyways well done its nice smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.