Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:14 PM

Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European (1901 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Do African Americans Have A Culture? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by Fulaman198(m): 1:35am On Nov 06, 2013
The question is do African women throw away their identity/traditional African culture in favour of Western or European culture once they go abroad? What do you guys think.
Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by ladionline: 7:13am On Nov 06, 2013
^^Every human being desire acceptance wherever they are secondary settlers. Self preservation come first, then in the midst of ones folks its eazy to feel at home. But when in aggregate setting, one may not be able to overcome the need to adapt to the nuances of the host culture.It's flip-flop in that respect.
Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by Fulaman198(m): 3:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
ladionline: ^^Every human being desire acceptance wherever they are secondary settlers. Self preservation come first, then in the midst of ones folks its eazy to feel at home. But when in aggregate setting, one may not be able to overcome the need to adapt to the nuances of the host culture.It's flip-flop in that respect.

My question is why do African women always feel the need to be accepted in foreign cultures abroad? They try so hard to be something they are not.
Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by ladionline: 5:27pm On Nov 06, 2013
Fulaman198:

My question is why do African women always feel the need to be accepted in foreign cultures abroad? They try so hard to be something they are not.
Well it is the culture of instruction in all African institutions. You have tv heros you love to project from childhood. you have your tv dreamland in the west. what will you do if these expectation materialize? the next thing is to live your dream and be assimilated quickly. You will be odd if you have to prove anything other than what sorrounds you. How many people will you explain to that you are projecting Africa? You will be overwhelmed quickly. It is better to identify with your host or you exit. But you wont know when you start to do things over the moderation bar anyway. Such a tin line of definition nobody knows, except an observer who is also not without bias. Individually, we all have right to sane human cultural projections. People choose freely if they are free.
Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

What do you mean? Are you suggesting African men do not display these attitudes in the West?

1 Like

Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by Fulaman198(m): 7:26am On Nov 07, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

What do you mean? Are you suggesting African men do not display these attitudes in the West?

African men do but at the same time it is like 50/50 some African men try so hard to be what they are not, some retain their cultural heritage. But with women I find almost all changing to something they are not more so than men. What do you think?
Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by Nobody: 7:52am On Nov 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

African men do but at the same time it is like 50/50 some African men try so hard to be what they are not, some retain their cultural heritage. But with women I find almost all changing to something they are not more so than men. What do you think?

I find it to vary. If they grew up here as children or were born here, girls and boys alike are more likely to embrace the dominant culture of the country in which they reside. How much or how little depends not on the child's gender but their environment i.e how they were raised and their own views of their culture, exposure, etc. Some may rediscover remnants or show interest in their culture as adults. On the other hand, men and women who come here as adults are more self aware, and the element of peer pressure and "fitting in" is not a running theme as it often is with younger minds.

That being said, how easy is it to embrace an African ( or any foreign culture) to it's full effect in a non native country? Not very.

1 Like

Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by Fulaman198(m): 7:54am On Nov 07, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

I find it to vary. If they grew up here as children or were born here, girls and boys alike are more likely to embrace the dominant culture of the country in which they reside. How much or how little depends not on the child's gender but their environment i.e how they were raised and their own views of their culture, exposure, etc. Some may rediscover remnants or show interest in their culture as adults. On the other hand, men and women who come here as adults are more self aware, and the element of peer pressure and "fitting in" is not a running theme as it often is with younger minds.

That being said, how easy is it to embrace an African ( or any foreign culture) to it's full effect in a non native country? Not very.

I like how you reason, you speak very intelligently
Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

I like how you reason, you speak very intelligently

Well, that's nice of you to say. Thanks. smiley

1 Like

Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by ladionline: 12:22pm On Nov 08, 2013
I celebrate you too. You are an enlightened soul.

2 Likes

Re: Do African Women Throw Away Traditional African Culture(s) In Favour Of European by anonymous6(f): 6:40pm On Nov 08, 2013
I think it is 50/50 amongst africans born in America from African parents but I have seen it more with males then the females when they prefer non-african cultures over their own but the africans born and raised in in their african countries and culture mostly stay and keep their culture regardless of gender but I have noticed that some africans that do swade to non-african cultures from where they are from tend to different from one african country to another.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures From Agila Carnival / Traditional Fulani Music / Echane Festival In Okene Local Govt Area Of Kogi State Begin Monday 22nd May 27

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.