Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,501 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:37 PM

Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" (20042 Views)

15 Ways To Cure Insomnia Without Medication / Hospital Suspends Male Nurse For Injecting Gej’s Supporter Un-prescribed Drugs / Medication For Vaginal Itching? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Nobody: 4:00am On Nov 06, 2013
ADO EKITI— A staff nurse at the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Mrs Mary Akinniyi, was beaten to pulp by relations of a deceased patient for allegedly applying wrong medication.
The deceased, Mrs Beatrice Adepoju, who was said to be suffering from terminal liver ailment was said to have been kept at a faith-based home for months before she was brought to the hospital
The late Adepoju who was initially admitted at the Accident and Emergency unit of the hospital on Saturday eventually died on Sunday
Also, the hospital guard who would have rescued the assaulted nurse was allegedly attacked and flung to a nearby glass door which gave him some cuts.
However, the guard was said to have called for back up and it was the arrival of the other security men that saved the situation.
Intention was to kill the staff—CMD
Speaking in Ado Ekiti, yesterday, Acting Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Kolawole Ogundipe, alleged that the nurse’s hands were held to the back by one of the enraged relations while another held her by the throat.
He said: “To us, this was not a reprimand by the relatives of the patient but a clear case of an attempt to kill an officer of the state in our employ.
“We are used to verbal attacks and other forms through which patients’ relatives react to the death of their loved ones. But this is different. The intention was to kill the staff on duty and that is the worrisome aspect of this, it was not to reprimand.”
Represented by Dr Kayode Ajite, the CMD said the patient was brought to the Accident and Emergency Ward (A&E) of the hospital where she was stabilised and subsequently taken to the Female Medical Ward on admission.
According to Ogundipe, “the patient’s condition deteriorated which made the nurse to request that the relations should get the necessary injectable that would keep the patient stable while they waited for the prescribed drugs.
“The patient in the process died and the ignorant relations thought it was the injection given by the nurse that caused the death, therefore transferred their emotion on her.
“Two daughters of the patient, who were at the scene, attacked our staff, held her hands, choked her and held her nostril. That was an intention to kill.”
Police are being partisan
The hospital management equally indicted the police for alleged covering up.
He said: “The police are being partisan in the matter and we do not feel comfortable with that.
“Our integrity is at stake and we want the police to investigate the matter and clear our name and we have called for autopsy to determine the actual cause of the patient’s death.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/deceaseds-relations-manhandled-nurse-hospital-guard-cmd
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by talktimi(m): 5:03am On Nov 06, 2013
There is precedence, though i dont condone jungle justice or barbaric behavior of any kind but many of our doctors and nurses have been known to administer wrong drugs leading to fatalities. Ive personally lost a sibling in such a way.

6 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 06, 2013
talktimi: There is precedence, though i dont condone jungle justice or barbaric behavior of any kind but many of our doctors and nurses have been known to administer wrong drugs leading to fatalities. Ive personally lost a sibling in such a way.

Shut up young maan, do not sspill trash that u don'tknow, n do not aact like the foolish, babrbaric n ignorant relatives, did u even read the post?

The laady had a terminal illness(liver failuree) n 4 ur information cases of CLD(chronic liver disease) has a very bleak prognosis! Peopple almost never survives it, n to add salt to injury, the lady in question has been in a "faith based home" (meaning she has been in those ur hopeless dubious churches,for months being milked of d little dey had) nd when d situation was outta control dey saw d need 2 rush to d hospital,just a day pprior to her pass- on expecting a miracle... That dia "faith based home" couldn't perform....

Young man it won't cause u anything to take ur tym read n comprehend! N not spewing trash n displaying ur foolery on a public forum. Thank you...

73 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by thorpido(m): 7:04am On Nov 06, 2013
The title is misleading.The story shows something different.
Relatives can be unnecessarily aggressive when they lose a loved one and in their ignorance blame it on the medical personnel.Someone who has not been receiving treatment for a chronic liver ailment and they think it was the injection that killed her?I'm not saying there are not errors in medical practice but often times the agression is misplaced.
A patient's relative came with a gun to the hospital where i used to work recently to threaten the staff because the sister who had terminal cancer died.

2 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 06, 2013
The relatives have acted like illiterates from the start. Faith-based home my foot. They should have killed themselves for being stupid from the beginning

1 Like

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by talktimi(m): 9:59am On Nov 06, 2013
Raymondenyi:

Shut up young maan, do not sspill trash that u don'tknow, n do not aact like the foolish, babrbaric n ignorant relatives, did u even read the post?

The laady had a terminal illness(liver failuree) n 4 ur information cases of CLD(chronic liver disease) has a very bleak prognosis! Peopple almost never survives it, n to add salt to injury, the lady in question has been in a "faith based home" (meaning she has been in those ur hopeless dubious churches,for months being milked of d little dey had) nd when d situation was outta control dey saw d need 2 rush to d hospital,just a day pprior to her pass- on expecting a miracle... That dia "faith based home" couldn't perform....

Young man it won't cause u anything to take ur tym read n comprehend! N not spewing trash n displaying ur foolery on a public forum. Thank you...
am i to reply you in this same gutter manner ? You saw whr i wrote i dont believe in jungle justice and when i say there is precedence im not mincing words except you can prove that no doctor or nurse in Nigeria has killed a patient due to inaccurate diagnosis or drugs/treatments. I speak out of first hand experience here even up to now so keep your insults in your back pocket

30 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Afam4eva(m): 12:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
talktimi: There is precedence, though i dont condone jungle justice or barbaric behavior of any kind but many of our doctors and nurses have been known to administer wrong drugs leading to fatalities. Ive personally lost a sibling in such a way.
Can they prove that it was the injection administered by the Nurse that killed the woman. If they were that good they should have kept her at home and treated her themselves. I see nothing wrong in relations being angry following the death of their family member but it's preposterous for them to want to kill a nurse for something they can't prove.

2 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
Just coming from that particular hospital and I can tell you something is amiss with the nurses....civility, professionalism gone with the winds!

3 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by iterator25: 1:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
smartchoice:
Just coming from that particular hospital and I can tell you something is amiss with the nurses....civility, professionalism gone with the winds!
abeg you fit com my house tomorrow pls
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Afam4eva(m): 1:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
smartchoice:
That's a norm in Nigeria but those people knew all this before admitting their family member there.
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Acidosis(m): 1:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
smartchoice:

Hmmn...
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by lafuria1(m): 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
This is so wrong, so wicked and evil, the blood of the deceased is on the hands of the silly relatives who allowed are condition to worsen before bringing her to a clinic

1 Like

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by 9jauk: 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
Raymondenyi:

My friend Raymond you are so pathetic how can you address him like that,come on is entitle to his own opinion typical Egbon attitude !!!
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by collinsJn(m): 1:35pm On Nov 06, 2013
talktimi: am i to reply you in this same gutter manner ? You saw whr i wrote i dont believe in jungle justice and when i say there is precedence im not mincing words except you can prove that no doctor or nurse in Nigeria has killed a patient due to inaccurate diagnosis or drugs/treatments. I speak out of first hand experience here even up to now so keep your insults in your back pocket
God Bless U. U Acted/Replied So Well. Not Throwing Insults Back,Like that Dude Did. Keep It Up. People shud Learn Hw To Respect Ones Opinion Instead Of Throwing INSULTS As If They Knw It All.

18 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by VivianWatson22: 1:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
Okay, let me go back to what I was doing before

11 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Greataausim(m): 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
So sad cry

1 Like

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
I swear..!!This relatives na werey relatives.

Meanwhile,rip to d dead.
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by yuzedo: 1:40pm On Nov 06, 2013
VivianWatson22: Okay, let me go back to what I was doing before

HILARIOUS GIF!!!!!! LOOOOOOOL!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by Gifted4all(m): 1:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
Instead of d family to take her to d hospital from the begining dey took her to faith based home.d hospital management shd persecute dose involve in dis mess. SMH

3 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by wellmax(m): 1:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
Lord Have Mercy

1 Like

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by slimthugchimee(m): 1:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
K
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by OGAattheTOP: 1:45pm On Nov 06, 2013
It is obvious that the patient will die one day, so why desiring to add misery upon misery?
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by cherriex(f): 1:45pm On Nov 06, 2013
That's the problem,most people come to the teaching hospitals when conditions are already critical nd cannot be salvaged,or just to be managed,besides I have nt seen any CLD dat make it out alive or the rest of the terminal illneses.its unfortunate they vent their anger on the nurse,but I thought drugs have to be prescribed before the nurse can administer them in the teaching hospitals policy?
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by clnzo: 1:51pm On Nov 06, 2013
Raymondenyi:

Young man it won't cause u anything to take ur tym read n comprehend! N not spewing trash n displaying ur foolery on a public forum. Thank you... Pls Tell Him!!!!
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by obizy1(m): 1:52pm On Nov 06, 2013
Them no beat her wellsad;(
Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by dridowu: 1:53pm On Nov 06, 2013
Their is no tangible evidence that the nurse administer wrong injection they are just transferring their emotion to the poor nures
smartchoice:

The deceased, Mrs Beatrice Adepoju, who was said to be suffering from TERMINAL LIVER ailment was said to have been KEPT AT A FAITH-BASED HOME FOR MONTHS before she was brought to the hospital
y do dy have to keep the poor woman in faith based home 1st ?

1 Like

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by phineas: 1:55pm On Nov 06, 2013
Its a case of assault against Nigerian health workers that's been condoned by the soceity for yrs finally reaching its peak.Health workers have suffered perpertual verbal assault @ the hands of Nigerians and physical assault like this isn't new.

The popular story of the nasarawa police shooting and beating drs who explained they had no space in their morgues and where told to invent space,forgetting they had full responsibilty to protect the bodies they had accepted in their custody,many cases abound of which I really don't care to go into.

Most health workers who have and care aboout dignity of self simply refuse to practice in Nigeria.If she administered wrong medication or not a panel should have been set up and investigated,the medical profession must rise to the responsibility of protecting its workers in the country by ensuring stringent standards and protocols for all matters arising with sanctions where necesary.

3 Likes

Re: Deceased’s Relations Beat-up Nurse, For Administering "Wrong Medication" by ichommy(m): 1:56pm On Nov 06, 2013
#Gobe

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19: FG Orders Closed Isolation Centres To Prepare For Re-Opening / 162 New COVID-19 Cases, 176 Discharged And 3 Deaths On Sept 5 - (1557 Tested)) / Steps To Getting The COVID-19 Vaccine In Lagos, Phase 1 & List Of Those Eligible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.