Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others (7833 Views)

BIAFRA: MOTION in UK parliament Calling for conduct of Referendum / Lower Niger Congress Proposes 2017 As Year Of Referendum / Delta Youths Perfect Plans To Protest In Favour Of Referendum& Us Military Base (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by igbeke: 12:27am On Nov 07, 2013
By Henry Umoru

ABUJA— AHEAD of the convocation of the proposed national conference by President Goodluck Jonathan, prominent leaders of the three zones in the southern part of the country under the aegis of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA, yesterday, said that decisions of the conference must be subjected to a national referendum, just as it gave a time frame of nine months for the conference to be concluded.

According to leaders of the assembly, delegates to the conference must not be more than 600, with each geo-political zone of the country producing 100 delegates each.

They added that representation should be on the basis of equality of the geo-political zones — North-West, North-East, North-Central, South-West, South-East and South-South.

Rising from a two-day meeting held at the Cross River Hall of Transcorp Hilton Hotel, the leaders from South-South, South-West and South-East geo-political zones, however, warned that the outcome of decisions from the dialogue must not be subjected to a review or debate by both the National Assembly and the executive.

In a communique signed by former Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme, former Federal Commissioner for Information and Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, and retired Anglican Bishop of Akure Diocese, who is also the current Coordinating Chairman, SNPA, Rev. Emmanuel Bolanle Gbonigi, SNPA said: “The decisions of the conference shall be subjected to a national referendum and shall not be subjected to a review or debate by the National Assembly or any other body including the executives.

“Upon approval by the people of Nigeria, the outcome becomes the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

According to SNPA, the entire process should end June 30, 2014. It said processing and work of conference, December 1, 2013 to April 30, 2014; preparation of a draft constitution May 1 to 31, 2014; and the referendum on new constitution will be from June 1 to 30, 2014.

Roll call

South-South representatives at the meeting were Professor Oserheimen Osunbor, Senator Bassey Henshaw, Air Vice Marshal Idongesit Nkanga (rtd), Alabo Graham Douglas, Dr. Bolere-Ketebu, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, Nella Ewa and Ambassador Lawrence.

From the South-East were Dr. Alex Ekwueme, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, Senator Chris Ukpabio, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, Senator Sylvanus Ngele, Dr. Walter Ofonagoro, Professor Ihechukwu Madubuike, Dr. Ifedi Okewnna, and Chief Edozie Ezeugwa.

South-West was represented by Bishop Emmanuel Bolanle Gbonigi, Senator Tony Adefu-ye, Emmanuel Adelano, Chief Dipo Jimilehin, Senator Kofo Bucknor-Akerele, Professor Ope Adekunle, Archbishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Prof. Oladapo Afolabi and Moshood Salvador.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/confab-outcome-must-subject-referendum-ekwueme/

1 Like

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by igbeke: 12:44am On Nov 07, 2013
i think uncle Gej shud listen to these well- meaning Nigerians and grant their request. afterall, our northern elders also want it dat way.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Nobody: 12:48am On Nov 07, 2013
great news.
from here we can aim for the ultimate truth.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by igbeke: 5:44am On Nov 07, 2013
re@lchange:
great news.
u r damn right, bro.

1 Like

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by takedat(m): 6:36am On Nov 07, 2013
Good submission! The outcome should be subjected to a referendum.

I am particularly worried with these past-masters, and senescent septuagenarians and octogenarians holding various meetings to define and determine the future of Nigeria. I believe the proposed dialogue should be all about the future of Nigeria, and should be populated by Youths and not some old geeps who in a way or another benefited from a decayed Nigeria. The Youth should set the tone and agenda for the dialogue. Nigeria Youths are sleeping! cheesy

"We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future."~ Franklin Roosevelt

4 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by wirinet(m): 8:18am On Nov 07, 2013
Good suggestion in theory, but impracticable in reality when applied to the Nigerian situation. First of all, the Nigerian constiution (which is the highest law of the land) does not make provision for referendums, so unless the national assemby change the constitution to reflect the use of referendums, the whole exercise would be an exercise in frutility. Secondly even a referendum cannot help the igbos or other minorities realize their goals, a nationwide referendum would suffer the same fate as regular elections, which gives the north and the south west at an undue advantage as a result of inflated population figures and skewed political arrangements. The votes of the north and the south west is enough to defeat any referendum not in their interest. So unless we correct the huge structural imbalances in the nigerian federation and have accurate cencus figures, a referendum cannot change the status quo.

3 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by igbeke: 10:23am On Nov 07, 2013
wirinet: Good suggestion in theory, but impracticable in reality when applied to the Nigerian situation. First of all, the Nigerian constiution (which is the highest law of the land) does not make provision for referendums, so unless the national assemby change the constitution to reflect the use of referendums, the whole exercise would be an exercise in frutility. Secondly even a referendum cannot help the igbos or other minorities realize their goals, a nationwide referendum would suffer the same fate as regular elections, which gives the north and the south west at an undue advantage as a result of inflated population figures and skewed political arrangements. The votes of the north and the south west is enough to defeat any referendum not in their interest. So unless we correct the huge structural imbalances in the nigerian federation and have accurate cencus figures, a referendum cannot change the status quo.
i think u hav a point here.
come to think of dis, wat if after d "dialogue", d easterners unanimously agreed to secede, wud nigeria still hav any reason to compel dem not to?
To some extent, d whole south hav some common grounds, for instance on d true federal system of govt.,
Regional autonomy/decentralisation of powers at d centre. etc.
shud d north also go against dat, do u tink d center cud still hold?
shed light into dese pls.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by PointB: 11:46am On Nov 07, 2013
Referendum is the right course of action to pursue after the National Conference. It would make more sense though if it is carried out state by state, or within geopolitical zones.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Olaolufred(m): 2:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
re@lchange:
great news.

May be they are partly supporting Tinubu's stand.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by igbeke: 2:32pm On Nov 07, 2013
Olaolufred:

May be they are partly supporting Tinubu's stand.
who cares whose stand u call it. wat we all want is for d govt to do d right thing.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Olaolufred(m): 2:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
igbeke:
who cares whose stand u call it. wat we all want is for d govt to do d right thing.

We all hope for this resolution to stand.
But we will all see the reality in 2014 December.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by OAM4J: 2:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
Good suggestions IMO. How practicable is left to be seen.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by MrAboki: 3:59pm On Nov 07, 2013
WHo is referandum?!

Or did he mean referee?!
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by skyscraperTM(m): 3:59pm On Nov 07, 2013
A good loud fart is
honourable, A medium fart is
tolerable, softer windbreaks
are terrible and silent ones
unbearable. I feel like farting here, which of the options should i choose?!
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Afam4eva(m): 4:01pm On Nov 07, 2013

They added that representation should be on the basis of equality of the geo-political zones — North-West, North-East, North-Central, South-West, South-East and South-South.
I disagree with this. Why should it be as a result of zones that are unequal. Isn't that what we're going to be discussing the conference?
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by CyberG: 4:09pm On Nov 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
I disagree with this. Why should it be as a result of zones that are unequal. Isn't that what we're going to be discussing the conference?

What is wrong with the statement? They are asking for EQUALITY but you disagree, what do you propose instead? INEQUALITY??
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Afam4eva(m): 4:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
CyberG:

What is wrong with the statement? They are asking for EQUALITY but you disagree, what do you propose instead? INEQUALITY??
How is that equality. Were the regions created with eye for equality or were they created to give a certain region an advantage over others? The conference should be based on ethnicity which is natural as against regions and every ethnic group no matter how big or little should have the same number of delegates.

4 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by iamteaser: 4:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
National referendum is the best way to go about it. It's the best way to know what the common man stand on an opinion. If all the bills passed by the national assembly were to go through this same way, over half of all the bill passed won't live to see the light of the day especially the immunity ish granted to public office holders.

1 Like

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by CyberG: 4:30pm On Nov 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
How is that equality. Were the regions created with eye for equality or were they created to give a certain region an advantage over others? The conference should be based on ethnicity which is natural as against regions and every ethnic group no matter how big or little should have the same number of delegates.

The proposal is for 100 people from each zone, obviously distributed among the ethnic groups within that zone but it is obvious there will be consultations within the ZONE so all the ethnics take a position, harmonize it, write it down, select 100 people and go to present and defend that position in the conference. This makes a lot of sense, 600 people in all +/- the people for moderation of the debate, security, etc.

On the other hand, you are suggesting that on the basis of ethnicity, the same number of delegates should be sent to go and present the position of their ethnic group, obviously without consulting anybody else but their own ethnic group. Well that might have made sense if there were only 5 or 10 ethnic groups in Nigeria but at over 250, it is a recipe for chaos and an ineffective conference! Have you ever managed anything before, a group of 10 people?? I am sure you've never done that because if you had you will be able to see your suggestion will not lead to a thorough conference in which the opinion of everyone can count and in fact would lead to a situation where it is possible that if each ethnic group sends 10 people each, they will be championing their position and when harmonizing the position of the conference comes down to resolutions, those people are humans and are more than likely to lose out if they cannot gain the majority there! As soon as their position is not reflected in the resolution, their being at the conference is already a loss! Contrast that with 6 sets of demands from zones, enough to potentially form economically viable regions or countries in which it is very easy to have mutually exclusive votes in which every region wins!

Again, within the context of reality, the so called conference is not seeking to divide the country into 250 regions in which each region is an ethnic group! Perhaps, you can do that in your region and divide it into as many states as there are ethnics and finance it within your region and spend your time on it. I think the best way forward is to go and speak to your Ibo kinsmen who are in the SE and get a uniform opinion. The only situations where it is more crucial to pay attention to the details are regions within boundaries of 2 or 3 regions, they can decide where they want to be and which groups they want to go with. Asking that you send 250 * 100 (just for example) to a conference is really asking for chaos and an impracticable decision!

4 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Chizua(m): 4:31pm On Nov 07, 2013
wirinet: Good suggestion in theory, but impracticable in reality when applied to the Nigerian situation. First of all, the Nigerian constiution (which is the highest law of the land) does not make provision for referendums, so unless the national assemby change the constitution to reflect the use of referendums, the whole exercise would be an exercise in frutility. Secondly even a referendum cannot help the igbos or other minorities realize their goals, a nationwide referendum would suffer the same fate as regular elections, which gives the north and the south west at an undue advantage as a result of inflated population figures and skewed political arrangements. The votes of the north and the south west is enough to defeat any referendum not in their interest. So unless we correct the huge structural imbalances in the nigerian federation and have accurate cencus figures, a referendum cannot change the status quo.

Why calling the Igbos? Why not face the fact. And when did Igbos become a minority entity in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by drdams: 4:31pm On Nov 07, 2013
Old Story! Just a repetition of many cries!
Thats wot we want but the Feasibility is my major concern...

Nigerians are good at putting thing down in pen and paper but the realization remains the case..
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by igbeke: 4:34pm On Nov 07, 2013
CyberG:

EQUALITY!
Yeah, ...and sincerity.
dey are d watchwords.
dey hav never been present in our govt, hence we are where we are today.
they must therefore be entrenched d system. on dem must d new Nigeria emerge (if we ever gonna hav it).
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by digospel2: 4:51pm On Nov 07, 2013
Am a strong advocate for all the over 250 ethnic group representation, religious group, associations, institutions,military/paramilitary and presentation of memorandum from all and sundry.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by LivingSoul34: 5:18pm On Nov 07, 2013
I feel there is no dichotomy when it comes to sovereignty... Sovereignty cannot be with the National Assembly members who are the representatives of the people and at the same time be with the people... As far as i know the power to make law is vested with the legislators and not the masses and i can't remember this power to make was retrieve from the elected legislators so for somebody to say that the out come of a national conference automatically becomes the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria without ratification by the National Assembly sounds strange to me... The masses can make imputes in the process of law making which for me is essence for national conference which only allows the masses who wear the shoe to tell where it pinches but such cannot become law without ratification by the national Assembly... I feel the issue of referendum would have been necessary in case of sovereign national conference as in a case of secession which is not the case here... I think its better for those concerned to seek court interpretation and guidance in going about the whole thing to avoid investing too much money, time, energy etc doing the wrong thing that may not stand any legal test... I stand to be corrected please.

2 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Succincts: 5:35pm On Nov 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
this statement is endorsed by me.i am in 100 percent agreement

1 Like

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by danny301: 5:41pm On Nov 07, 2013
Living Soul34: I feel there is no dichotomy when it comes to sovereignty... Sovereignty cannot be with the National Assembly members who are the representatives of the people and at the same time be with the people... As far as i know the power to make law is vested with the legislators and not the masses and i can't remember this power to make was retrieve from the elected legislators so for somebody to say that the out come of a national conference automatically becomes the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria without ratification by the National Assembly sounds strange to me... The masses can make imputes in the process of law making which for me is essence for national conference which only allows the masses who wear the shoe to tell where it pinches but such cannot become law without ratification by the national Assembly... I feel the issue of referendum would have been necessary in case of sovereign national conference as in a case of secession which is not the case here... I think its better for those concerned to seek court interpretation and guidance in going about the whole thing to avoid investing too much money, time, energy etc doing the wrong thing that may not stand any legal test... I stand to be corrected please.
WORD..........

1 Like

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by wirinet(m): 5:44pm On Nov 07, 2013
Chizua:

Why calling the Igbos? Why not face the fact. And when did Igbos become a minority entity in Nigeria?

What's wrong with calling igbos? Is calling igbos now a crime? Don't the igbos have their own agenda? And which facts are you facing? why not state these facts. I never meant igbos are minority, what I mean is igbos and minorities in Nigeria who do not have have the numbers ( census wise )to make make as much political impact as the yorubas and hausa/fulanis.

Why not make reasonable contributions to the discussions, instead it is the mentioning of igbos and minority tribe that caught your attention.

2 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by DerideGull(m): 5:49pm On Nov 07, 2013
Afam4eva:

I guess the group meant that representation on the conference shall be based on equal number of representatives from each zone. However, one of the topics at the conference shall also focus on achieving equal number of states for each zone.

There shall be serious case for disintegration. Nigeria can not continue to limp along with disgruntled roommates. If this lamely stride is allowed to continue, the house maybe set on fire by the roommates who have sworn to annihilate each other on slightest provocation.

2 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Onlytruth(m): 5:58pm On Nov 07, 2013
I was going to pass by this information and toss it under my mattress till I saw Bolanle Gbonigi in it.
He is the only one I can trust from the SW in this team.

I shall speak more on this conference a little later when I find time.
The summary of it is that 2014 and the convocation of a united Southern Nigeria position are the magic words.
This conference will have some REAL results... at least I hope!
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 07, 2013
SNPA suggestions are reasonable by taking cognisance of Equity to all regions.

So I'll say SUPPORTED. APPROVED. AND LET'S DO THE NEEDFUL! *No pun intended.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by CyberG: 6:12pm On Nov 07, 2013
DerideGull:

I guess the group meant that representation on the conference shall be based on equal number of representatives from each zone. However, one of the topics at the conference shall also focus on achieving equal number of states for each zone.

There shall be serious case for disintegration. Nigeria can not continue to limp along with disgruntled roommates. If this lamely stride is allowed to continue, the house maybe set on fire by the roommates who have sworn to annihilate each other on slightest provocation.

Why would sovereign countries or regions need a federal government to create a state within your enclave?? By all means, create a state per human being or 100, it should be nobody's problem! Oh, why I would want the West to form an independent country with 100% control of its destiny and people who can come into our country, it might be asking for the impossible since all the thieving elites will make it impossible by shutting it down in order to continue milking the country dry but regions would be an easier compromise middle ground with all the privileges of such arrangement! I would prefer that and very much like the current Nigerian arrangement of states to be abolished!

1 Like

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
i support this. every well meaning needs to help put an end to the present sham we call nigeria by supporting this proposition.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari’s Ministers: Return Of Yesterday’s Men For Today’s Job / Soldier Sentenced To Death For Mutiny, Writes Letter To His 5-years-old Son / Ndigbo Need Not Beg To Clinch 2023 Presidency, Says Ohanaeze Youth Wing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.