Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,872 members, 7,798,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Religion In Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religion In Politics (590 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / The Role Of Religion In Politics – Nigeria’s Scenario / A Nairalander's Comment In Politics Makes A Full Page Advert In The Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion In Politics by Illuminatus(m): 9:41am On Nov 07, 2013

Before I begin, I'd like to state that I am not against Christianity or Islam (or the people who practise them for that matter). I know some people will find this short article appauling but I won't apologise for that. I only implore that you read this article with an open mind, free of bias and using simple common sense.
Like I've stated in the above paragraph, I don't have any problem wig religion in itself or of itself, what I'm opposed to is the idea of using religion as the impetus for policy making and legislation in the nation, especially on the federal level.
Seeing as Nigeria is a country where most people - including politicians and government executives have some sort of religion that guides their decision, it is impossible to have a true separation of religion from the state. That's okay. I don't think we need to elect only atheists into government.
But in a country as populated as ours, with quite a many ethnic group and more than a few religion and denominations (which I haven't decided whether it's a good thing or not), I am suggesting that we create and support a system where political decisions are made based on arguments that stand on their own merits without a religious crutch. To put simply, the argument: "The Bible (or Koran) told me so" is off limits. People need to use objective, measurable evidence to defend their arguments, instead of just referring to their faith and leaving it at that.
It is important to remember that not everybody shares your faith and arguments based on a particular religion doesn't mean much to people who don't share that faith. These arguments just serve as a great catalyst to polarize arguments and creat opposing groups that are unable to actually discuss a problem and hate each other.
As an example is an commonly argued, religiously planted issue: Human rights as pertaining to LGBT (gay) people. Right now, the most popular argument against it is "marriage (sex) was meant be between a man and a woman, because the Bible says so."
Not okay.
You can be opposed to homosexuality, but under the political system I'm suggesting, politicians (and ordinary people) would have to debate it with secular reasoning that can appeal to people of all belief. I could be an atheist and as such, not agree with another that homosexuality is (religiously) wrong. Much like Islam doesn't agree with Christianity that polygamy is wrong.
I'd like to state that removing religion from politics won't creat an immoral, dystopic society. If anything, it will enhance unity between Nigerians and decrease religious/ethnic violence.
So that's it. Null over this. And then, if you have something to say (reasonable, please?) say it.
Re: Religion In Politics by fowowe411: 9:55am On Nov 07, 2013
Seconded.though I didn't read all what you typed up there but I think I get your point.The fact that majority of nigerians don't know is that religion as done more harm than good in nigeria polity.you should imagine how much the government(state$fed)spends on pilgrimage of both islamic and christian faithfuls.
Once again I agree with you that politics and religion should be distinctively separated in nigeria for we to have a good country.
Re: Religion In Politics by Illuminatus(m): 4:15pm On Nov 07, 2013
fowowe411: Seconded.though I didn't read all what you typed up there but I think I get your point.The fact that majority of nigerians don't know is that religion as done more harm than good in nigeria polity.you should imagine how much the government(state$fed)spends on pilgrimage of both islamic and christian faithfuls.
Once again I agree with you that politics and religion should be distinctively separated in nigeria for we to have a good country.
Exactly. There was this recent rumor of how the President was taking a host of comrades to Isreal. Of course, the President denied that that was the case...
Re: Religion In Politics by Samoranopapa(m): 11:57pm On Nov 08, 2013
Yes wat I just see is dat politics nd religion re totally different,because some politician mixed politics nd religion together even some pastors do say it nd as a good christian u must not be involve in any political stuff,nd the letter of paul to the romans explain more abt it(pls read romans 13:1-17).
And the issue to putting politics in religion is nt gud okay lets look @ stella odauh nd Jonathan issue,becos Jonathan went to israel(the so called holy land) nd stella too was wit him,nd people re now saying dat he must 4give stella becos he had went to holy land,to me I think its unfair so don't let us mixed politics with religion nd we must also abide to the law of our country (pls read dat bible verse)Yes wat I just see is dat politics nd religion re totally different,because some politician mixed politics nd religion together even some pastors do say it nd as a good christian u must not be involve in any political stuff,nd the letter of paul to the romans explain more abt it(pls read romans 13:1-17).
And the issue to putting politics in religion is nt gud okay lets look @ stella odauh nd Jonathan issue,becos Jonathan went to israel(the so called holy land) nd stella too was wit him,nd people re now saying dat he must 4give stella becos he had went to holy land,to me I think its unfair so don't let us mixed politics with religion nd we must also abide to the law of our country (pls read dat bible verse)
Yes wat I just see is dat politics nd religion re totally different,because some politician mixed politics nd religion together even some pastors do say it nd as a good christian u must not be involve in any political stuff,nd the letter of paul to the romans explain more abt it(pls read romans 13:1-17).
And the issue to putting politics in religion is nt gud okay lets look @ stella odauh nd Jonathan issue,becos Jonathan went to israel(the so called holy land) nd stella too was wit him,nd people re now saying dat he must 4give stella becos he had went to holy land,to me I think its unfair so don't let us mixed politics with religion nd we must also abide to the law of our country (pls read dat bible verse)

(1) (Reply)

ANAMBRA ELECTION: Me I Still Deh Laugh! / FG, States, LG's Share N568.41bn / Our Parents Are Ignorant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.