Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,671 members, 7,801,935 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Should You Believe In God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should You Believe In God? (660 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Believe In God? by Wallie(m): 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
A French philosopher, mathematician, and physicist, Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), puts forth an argument using Decision Theory as to why it is beneficial to believe in God’s existence.

Pascal's Wager (my explanation)
Assume you have to take part in a coin toss with two sides, heads and tails. One side represents “God exist” and the other side “God does not exist”. Choose a side.

If you choose “God does not exist” as an atheist and you’re wrong, you lose everything for all eternity. If you choose “God exist” and you lose, you simple cease to exist after death. The only thing that could be considered a lose is the time spent worshiping.

Here’s the actual wager

The philosophy uses the following logic (excerpts from Pensées, part III, §233):
1. "God is, or He is not"
2. A Game is being played... where heads or tails will turn up.
3. According to reason, you can defend neither of the propositions.
4. You must wager. (It's not optional.)
5. Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing.
6. Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force, when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager#The_wager

However, some people have challenged Pascal’s wager arguing that the outcome depends on whether God is malevolent or benevolent. Their arguments can be summarized as follows:

If God is malevolent (spiteful and vicious):

You’re doomed if you’re an atheist.
You’re doomed or saved if you worship a false god.
You’re doomed or saved if you worship true God.

If God is benevolent (kind and generous):
You’re saved if you’re an atheist.
You’re saved if you worship a false god.
You’re saved if you worship true God.
Thus, time spent worshiping God is either unnecessary or wasted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager#Argument_of_Assumptions

DISCLAIMER:
I do believe in God and do not believe in any of the crap above. I only find the use of logic in trying to determine whether or not to worship God interesting.

Re: Should You Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 07, 2013
Logic doesn't convince atheists. There is a God. It'll surprise you to know that ALL know He exists, but hate Him because of His righteous demands, which many don't want to keep.

'Every one that doeth evil hateth the light...' John 3:20.

Nobody hates what doesn't exist.
Re: Should You Believe In God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
If truely there is a God, I dont think we need to believe in him. What is the essence of believing when you already know something?

Believe relatively mean uncertainty while faith mean believing without any iota of evidence.

If you know there is a sun either through sighting or feeling heat or not hearing the sound of night cricket, there is no need for believing it there because you already know this.

As for me, I dont believe there is a God which is hungry for our worship and thirsty for our belief which live in the sky. I know we are all one infinite mind.
Re: Should You Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 01, 2013
FOLYKAZE: If truely there is a God, I dont think we need to believe in him. What is the essence of believing when you already know something?

Believe relatively mean uncertainty while faith mean believing without any iota of evidence.

If you know there is a sun either through sighting or feeling heat or not hearing the sound of night cricket, there is no need for believing it there because you already know this.

As for me, I dont believe there is a God which is hungry for our worship and thirsty for our belief which live in the sky. I know we are all one infinite mind.

Your interpretation of the word 'believe' is shallow. I'd rather stop there.
Re: Should You Believe In God? by NoProphecy: 4:42am On Dec 02, 2013
smurfy: Logic doesn't convince atheists. There is a God. It'll surprise you to know that ALL know He exists, but hate Him because of His righteous demands, which many don't want to keep.

'Every one that doeth evil hateth the light...' John 3:20.

Nobody hates what doesn't exist.

Numbers
17 “Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately.

18 “But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves.

Stupid atheists hate the righteous God! What is wrong with them? What do they have against the righteous light of genocide and rape? One thing you can be sure of, there are no Midianite atheists!

(1) (Reply)

Prophet TB Joshua Prophesy About Explosion, Crash And Death Coming Soon. / 5 Ways The Prosperity Gospel Is Hurting Africa / Why Do We Care About Where We Go After Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.