Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? (18585 Views)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently? / How Many Languages Do You Know? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Malamissah(m): 9:32pm On Nov 10, 2013
Fulaman198: Fulfulde, Hausa, English, French fluently and some Zarma and some Tamashaq
Are u sure u undastand zarma,cos am a zarma boy and i will test u

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Malamissah(m): 9:36pm On Nov 10, 2013
English.hausa,yoruba,zarma,pidgin
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Shyeikulislam1(m): 9:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
English, yoruba, hausa and pidgin
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 10:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
Malam issah:
Are u sure u undastand zarma,cos am a zarma boy and i will test u

Albarka ma nu alberkendi Malam Issah
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by ignis: 7:20am On Nov 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

Albarka ma nu alberkendi Malam Issah
Which language come be dis one?
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 8:39am On Nov 11, 2013
ignis:
Which language come be dis one?

Zarma
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 11, 2013
I SPEAK IGBO IGALA IDOMA TIV AND WRONG ENGLISH

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by nifty247(m): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2013
Hausa, Yoruba, English and Arabic.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by marvelU(f): 9:26am On Nov 12, 2013
English and pigeon
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 4:16pm On Nov 12, 2013
marvelU: English and pigeon

So one, because Pidgin is not a language, but a dialect
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by TONYE001(m): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
Moi c'est Le Francais, l'Anglais, et Kalabari...

J'aimerais apprendre l'Espagnol quand je suis libre

2 Likes

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 6:08pm On Dec 12, 2013
TONYE001: Moi c'est Le Francais, l'Anglais, et Kalabari...

J'aimerais apprendre l'Espagnol quand je suis libre

Good to know that you speak more European languages over African languages
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
i can speak igbo language fluently and can also speak hausa and tiv to a near fluency level.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 24, 2014
OreofeeOluwa: English,Pidgin smiley
what's up
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 3:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
I find it quite funny that many people in this thread consider Pidgin English a language when it's not.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by pansophist(m): 3:24pm On Sep 24, 2014
Fulaman198: I find it quite funny that many people in this thread consider Pidgin English a language when it's not.

Nigerian pidgin is a language.

@OP
I speak Nigerian Pidgin, English, Igbo, Yoruba and a bit of Polish
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 4:00pm On Sep 24, 2014
pansophist:

Nigerian pidgin is a language.

@OP
I speak Nigerian Pidgin, English, Igbo, Yoruba and a bit of Polish

Pidgin is not a language, it's a dialect of English.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by pansophist(m): 4:07pm On Sep 24, 2014
Fulaman198:

Pidgin is not a language, it's a dialect of English.

Saying Pidgin is a dialect of Enlgish is like saying Slovak is a dialect of Polish. Although it is comes with many words borrowed from English, doesnt make it an English dialect.

English dialect lol grin
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 5:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
pansophist:

Saying Pidgin is a dialect of Enlgish is like saying Slovak is a dialect of Polish. Although it is comes with many words borrowed from English, doesnt make it an English dialect.

English dialect lol grin

That's absolutely incorrect. Slovak and Polish belong to the Slavic language family alongside Serbo-Croat.

Without English, pidgin English wouldn't exist. It's a dialect of English. Same thing with the English that Irish speak, it's a dialect.

Your analogy was way off.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by pansophist(m): 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's absolutely incorrect. Slovak and Polish belong to the Slavic language family alongside Serbo-Croat.

Without English, pidgin English wouldn't exist. It's a dialect of English. Same thing with the English that Irish speak, it's a dialect.

Your analogy was way off.

You are right, I made a research about it now.

But I Wont say it is a dialect, Nigerian English can be a dialect but Pidgin is not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 5:30pm On Sep 24, 2014
pansophist:

You are right, I made a research about it now.

But I Wont say it is a dialect, Nigerian English can be a dialect but Pidgin is not.

Without English what would be the language basis for pidgin? For Pidgin to be considered an actual language, it means that it can survive on its own without a root language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by momentarylapse: 9:33pm On Feb 20, 2017
nifty247:
Hausa, Yoruba, English and Arabic.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by urahara(m): 8:58am On Sep 19, 2017
Fulaman198:
Fulfulde, Hausa, English, French fluently and some Zarma and some Tamashaq

How did u learn French ?

Did u live in a francophone country or you went to an institute.
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Fulaman198(m): 6:32pm On Sep 19, 2017
urahara:

How did u learn French ?

Did u live in a francophone country or you went to an institute.

Learned it in school and have visited some Francophone African countries.

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2017
yoruba,hausa,arabic,english kontinue.

1 Like

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by urahara(m): 2:58pm On Sep 20, 2017
Fulaman198:

Good to know that you speak more European languages over African languages

I know I may sound ignorant by saying this , but at times I ask myself what is to gain by learning foreign languages when you are most likely not gonna use it to communicate with anyone , unless you travel abroad

2 Likes

Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 20, 2017
Amharic (Ethiopia) and English
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by nlPoster: 4:05am On Jan 20, 2020
mosho2good:
. . .

What does this post of yours mean?

mosho2good:
*A Lastma officials is just helping a lady driving to park well,and He said EMUDIWA EMUDIWA,the lady just vex and said IDI IYALAYA E WO NI KO MUWA,some people are just too difficult to assist*��‍♂��‍♂
Re: How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? by AlphaSoul: 4:24am On Feb 05, 2021
English, Yoruba, Hausa, French.
Merci grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Quit Secret Societies - Oluwo Of Iwoland, Akanbi Tells Yoruba Monarchs / Videos And Pictures From Igbo Cultural Festivals. / Emir Sanusi Wants To Stop Poor Men From Marrying More Than One Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.