Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,002 members, 7,806,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports (5586 Views)

Biafra - Police Ban Keke From Using Radio In Aba / Police Ban Knock-Out This Season / Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by oluemmakay(m): 4:51am On Nov 08, 2013
The Nigeria Police, yesterday, announced a ban on all political, socio-cultural or religious gatherings within and around airport premises, including tarmacs, lounges and other sensitive security points.

It will be recalled that Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State on Tuesday accused the Police of preventing his supporters from gathering at the Port Harcourt International Airport when he hosted opposition governors in the state.

Inspector-General of Police, Mr M. D. Abubakar who announced the ban yesterday, said it was in line with international best practices, in order to safeguard the airports and their critical infrastructure as well as to prevent a situation where airports are turned into places of political assemblies, religious worship and other social receptions.
L-R Chief Bisi Akande, Interim National chairman, APC; Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu former governor of Lagos State/APC Leader all acknowledging cheers from supporters Tuesday at the Rivers State Government house during a visit of the APC Leadership to Rivers State. Photo: Nwankpa Chijioke

L-R Chief Bisi Akande, Interim National chairman, APC; Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu former governor of Lagos State/APC Leader all acknowledging cheers from supporters Tuesday at the Rivers State Government house during a visit of the APC Leadership to Rivers State. Photo: Nwankpa Chijioke

He pointed out that there are enough civic centres, town halls, and assembly halls for public meetings, carnivals and celebrations of all kinds.

In a statement from the Force Headquarters, the I-G said: “As part of deliberate efforts towards averting any security breach and the need to protect critical infrastructure, travellers, aircrew, airport staff and personnel at the nation’s local and international airports, the Nigeria Police High Command has placed a total ban on political, socio-cultural or religious gatherings within and around airport premises, including tarmacs, lounges and other sensitive security points”.

In line with the directive, the Force Headquarters, Abuja, directed the Airport Command Commissioners of Police, and Commissioners of Police in states hosting the airports to ensure that, in line with international best practices, firm security measures are taken to safeguard the airports and their critical infrastructure.

“They are also to prevent a situation where the airports are turned into places of political assemblies, religious worship and other social receptions, as there are enough civic centres, town halls, assembly halls etc for public meetings, carnivals and celebrations of all kinds”.

Disclosing that the Force was not unaware of the constitutional rights of Nigerians to freedom of movement and assembly, the IG stated that “the enjoyment of these rights must be situated within the bounds of the law and appropriate civil behaviour.

“The Force, therefore, implores Nigerians to co-operate with the Police in the effort aimed at improving the maintenance of effective safety and security at all the nooks and crannies of the airports.”

He called on the Nigerian elite, political and opinion leaders to assist the Police in the education and enlightenment of their fans, admirers, supporters and followers on the need to abide by these rules, as failure to comply will attract appropriate legal sanctions.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/police-ban-political-ceremonies-airports
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by eye4eye: 4:56am On Nov 08, 2013
PDP political animals are jittery about the crowd Amaechi brought to the airport. Does this rule apply to PEJ and PDP? Police are not meant to make law.

6 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by oluemmakay(m): 5:01am On Nov 08, 2013
eye4eye: PDP political animals are jittery about the crowd Amaechi brought to the airport. Does this rule apply to PEJ and PDP? Police are not meant to make law.
Besides if there should be a ban pronouncement, it should have come from FAAN not the Police. I see dis as political witch-hunting.

8 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Tolexander: 5:32am On Nov 08, 2013
Inspector-General of Police, Mr
M. D. Abubakar who
announced the ban yesterday,
said it was in line with
international best practices, in
order to safeguard the
airports and their critical
infrastructure as well as to
prevent a situation where
airports are turned into places
of political assemblies,
religious worship and other
social receptions.
hypocrisy at its peak!

Where was he to ban this kind of gathering when the anti-amaechi protesters converged at the airport to pelt Murtala Nyako, Rabiu Kwakwanso and Sule Lamido(all amaechi's supporters) on the 16th of july?

7 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 08, 2013
eye4eye: PDP political animals are jittery about the crowd Amaechi brought to the airport. Does this rule apply to PEJ and PDP? Police are not meant to make law.

Haba! Suppose a fight broke out between two opposition party members (thugs) in the airport which is the 1st place most foreigners encounter?

What would you expect them to think of Nigeria?

What if stray bullets killed a foreigner or another person?

Until recently, I've not heard where political ceremonies are held in airports... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sometimes, it is good we open the eyes of our minds and try to see things from the neutral perspective.

5 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by greall1: 9:16am On Nov 08, 2013
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 08, 2013
i hope there is no double standard in this. even do they have the power to pass this laws ? just asking o
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by MrAboki: 9:19am On Nov 08, 2013
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

- So when Madam Jonathan came to Port Harcourt and both the Police and FAAN allowed women dancers to stand on the Tarmac and welcome her nko?!

- What of how the airport road was blocked off and baricaded for well over 40mins for Madam Jonathan and her entourage to pass?!

I know that this is an attack on Amaechi and his crew, but let the Police know that when they pass such laws, it had better apply to all or they only end up making President Jonathan and his 40ft container of a wife look bad..

shocked

3 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by frankgreat(m): 9:24am On Nov 08, 2013
As much as i hate d pdp and dere politics i guess d IG is right about dis...airports are not meant for social gathering and political propaganda. Hope its not just directed to APC alone, most especially dere 1st lady.
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by hardywaltz(m): 9:24am On Nov 08, 2013
All these because of Ameachi? SMH

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by constance500: 9:25am On Nov 08, 2013
Space booked... Gbam... Stamped grin
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by lincoln2t: 9:27am On Nov 08, 2013
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by safarigirl(f): 9:28am On Nov 08, 2013
I hope this doesn't mean we can't go and welcome our Golden Eaglets when they return with the U-17 trophy.

4 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Sijo01(f): 9:30am On Nov 08, 2013
safarigirl: I hope this doesn't mean we can't go and welcome our Golden Eaglets when they return with the U-17 trophy.

Nice observation.

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Onyenna(m): 9:32am On Nov 08, 2013
K
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by yunglykmine(m): 9:36am On Nov 08, 2013
Good one there..

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by MrAboki: 9:42am On Nov 08, 2013

The bolded part shows you how lawless we are..

Meanwhile, PEJ always has an entourage on the Tarmac everytime she visits..

Why didnt they enforce this law during the funeral of President Jonathans Obese Wifes, foster mother?

4 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by noj02: 9:45am On Nov 08, 2013
Tell that to GED and PGD.

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Liveair: 9:46am On Nov 08, 2013
Some people are simply power drunk for now.
The real problem the anti-Amaechi clan has is that Amaechi is generally believed to have performed well as a gov despite all.
Seems the more they try to rubbish him, events seem to always favour him.
Come to think of it, if GEJ was favoured by God to power then what do we say of Amaechi who came to power without a single campaign.
I just pity Rivers People if power gets to those political jobbers after Amaechi.

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 08, 2013
Mr Aboki:

The bolded part shows you how lawless we are..

Meanwhile, PEJ always has an entourage on the Tarmac everytime she visits..

Why didnt they enforce this law during the funeral of President Jonathans Obese Wifes, foster mother?

He is correct. The police enforce the law, they do not make it

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Capnd143(m): 9:51am On Nov 08, 2013
They way some nairalanders are politically inclined with blind loyalty to a political bloc is mind boggling, instead of looking at things with the Nigerian citizen point of view we choose to look at it in the PDP, nPDP and APC point of view, yet we blame our leaders for being they way they are.

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by MrAboki: 9:53am On Nov 08, 2013
oyb:

He is correct. The police enforce the law, they do not make it

My Bad.

I know he is.. I was only concuring with his post.

It seems like nobody in the counrty reads their scope of work (if they even have any).

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Dagoma: 9:55am On Nov 08, 2013
Infact, all these treats against Amaechi are making people like the man more and more (source: my personal investigation from different respondents). Somebody should please whisper to those on power that treats and harassments can't solve any problem but rather making it worse and creating more enemity to them. They are making Amaechi more sympathetic and popular everyday. Let them please adopt another strategy, cause this one is a failure. They should be advised properly.

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by skyscraperTM(m): 10:04am On Nov 08, 2013
Nice development. Any of such ceremonies should be done within the outskirt of the airport and not the main-airport. It's only in nigeria that thousands of people go to welcome somebody in an airport. SMH!!
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by nairaarea: 10:17am On Nov 08, 2013
The fear of AMAECHI

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by mystical10: 10:18am On Nov 08, 2013
emmy-richie:

Haba! Suppose a fight broke out between two opposition party members (thugs) in the airport which is the 1st place most foreigners encounter?

What would you expect them to think of Nigeria?

What if stray bullets killed a foreigner or another person?

Until recently, I've not heard where political ceremonies are held in airports... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sometimes, it is good we open the eyes of our minds and try to see things from the neutral perspective.
my frnd ur totally wrong, u re nt use to airpoprt, hw many times mrs jona coused commotion in the same ph airport I.G is tlking wit water mouth. Let thm stop unpressing ppl pls
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by natine90: 10:22am On Nov 08, 2013
Phuck d Jonathans. Phuck IGP. Phuck PDP...... Idiot fellows... awon smellos....

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by oguash: 10:25am On Nov 08, 2013
so its okay for people to welcome a common first lady that is not constitutionally empowered and there is no problem. and as soon as it is the opposition then it now becomes thugs. hmmmmmmm. Nigeria i hail thee. what goes around comes around

2 Likes

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by owolabifunke14(f): 10:44am On Nov 08, 2013
I go with the police on this,carnival should be held in arenas not airport.
Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by BabaEleko(m): 10:58am On Nov 08, 2013
Desperate PDP people running from pillar to post. Una go hear wehen.

1 Like

Re: Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports by Beaf1: 12:04pm On Nov 08, 2013
So the Shepopo woman is allowed to invite her fellow widows to dance on our airport tarmacs but it has now suddenly become illegal for Opposition to use same to welcome their guests? Jonathan and his advisers are confused.

When did the police started making laws anyway angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Local Government Area Transition Committees List / BREAKING: Ministerial Screening: Rotimi Amaechi Delisted / Must See Airplane Constructed By A Nigerian That Made Headline On CNN (photos) -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.