Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,191 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

The Power And Union Of The Nigerian Pidgin English. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Power And Union Of The Nigerian Pidgin English. (432 Views)

Re: Legal Opinion On National Union Of Electricity Employess (nuee) Et Al Vs. Bu / Pidgin English "chyking" Lines You've Used Or Heard (strictly Pidgin) / How Zenith And Union Banks Aided Odili To Loot River State - Nigerian Village Sq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Power And Union Of The Nigerian Pidgin English. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 08, 2013
A friend of mine, was at a train station in London trying to buy tickets with his "white chick" and he suddenly overheard.. A guy lamenting seriously, with his luggage by his side "Na wich kin life be this? Person don come brittiko, na so life be". Oblivious of my friend (trust me, this guy na job man, he cnt be jobbed)..

He approached and said "my guy how far, wetin dey happen?"
According to him, it light the young man's face, flickers of hope that's what he saw. And after he explained his ordeal, hw his short of cash etc nd his journey still a train trip away, he bought the ticket and gave him 300pounds to go with..

His white chick asked if it was his brother because of the hug they hugged each other and he said, YES!! He's a nigerian and he's my brother..
There is something about this language that provokes the sympathetic and kind gesture of Nigerians abroad!

All of a sudden we forget Boko Haram, Niger Delta, GEJ, we forget tribes, (who's ijaw, yoruba, igbo, hausa, edo) religion, cultures.. All we see is a brother before us, we feel soo at peace and home with a single sentence of "wetin dey happen", it gets refreshening that we remember home (Nigeria) not the one crumbling before the whole world, not the economic, financial, security issues draining this country of ours, but the essence of our survival all along, the ability to still LIVE and HOPE amist all the challenges we face..

And how this pidgin english unites our hearts first..
So I'm asking all of you "how una dey and Wetin dey happen" ..?

See More www.1naijatv.com
Re: The Power And Union Of The Nigerian Pidgin English. by Jordanmusa(m): 3:04pm On Nov 08, 2013
I dey bros, spot on write up!

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland,help Me Celebrate, Today Is My Birthday / Any Query From Satan? / 7 Years Jail Term For Social Media Users In Nigeria – Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.