Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! (6930 Views)

NNPC Doesn’t Know All Its Bank Accounts, Says Buhari / Pictures Of River Niger Floods Overflow Its Bank In Kogi State / Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by whizkid(f): 5:49pm On May 03, 2005
I came accross this terrible traffic driving along the Ahmadu Bello way but this phenomenon isn't new, there is always traffic on the Lagos roads especially when it rains. No proper drainage, the roads are always flooded.

On approaching the Bar Beach end of the road, I noticed there was a diversion. People were entering the other lane, on a goad day the traffic regulations officers aka Lastma would have stopped you and make you pay a fine or better still impound your vehicle. But today that wasn't the case.

It wasn't until I got to the point of diversion that I noticed what the obstruction was. The Bar beach had overflown its bank again and the road was flooded, debris washed ashore covered the roads. It was a no go area for cars, some cars were already stuck in the flood.

The government spends a lot of money each year trying to solve this problem. I couldn't help but ask myself these questions. Is this a helpless situation? Is the government going to continue spending money each year on this futile project? What is the way forward for companies that are located in this area? I need answers.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Seun(m): 6:10pm On May 03, 2005
Trish, thanks for the tip. Isn't this cute, we're ahead of the official news channels.

I hope we can find a way to move residents away from the flood zone, because I don't see how that flood will abate anytime soon - you know, the rain just started.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by whizkid(f): 10:22am On May 04, 2005
Did you guys catch the news about this on TV last night? It rained again in Lagos this morning. I don't want to think about what the situation is now, won't even go anywhere near the Bar beach today.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by diakim(m): 3:57pm On May 04, 2005
I just pity the folks who got their houses near the Bar Beach.

The problem with the Bar Beach is enormous and quite beyond what the Lagos State Government can handle alone. The Federal Government needed to come to the assistance of the State to arrest the upsurge of the ocean.

1 Like

Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by dominobaby(f): 1:26pm On May 08, 2005
I only just got to pass through the Bar Beach area today on my way to the island, and what a terrible sight. Most of the stalls there had been destroyed, blown away, though some of those who trade there still were there. The road is still heaped with sand and debris, though vehicles passed that side of the road.

I feel, proper research should be done as to how they are to fight against this ugly trend. It not only affects the residents but the companies around the vicinity.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Ra(f): 8:12pm On May 08, 2005
It's a pity really, how our leaders allow such things to go to waste. I remember vividly as a kid, the brilliant times we used to have as a family on this same bar beach. Countries in the Middle East where it never rains go to any length to dredge man made beaches and spend fortunes to maintain them. As dominobaby rightly said, proper research ought to be made; it can't possibly be that hard to keep the beach behind its boundaries.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by mamba(m): 8:29pm On May 08, 2005
I heard that the Bar Beach overflow is a spiritual thing.....
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Ra(f): 8:33pm On May 08, 2005
Oh..Please! That's nothing but a fib. Let the necessary measures be implemented and we'll see if the ‘spirits’ find it in their powers to overflow the beach again.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Seun(m): 9:09pm On May 08, 2005
gringringrin gringringrin

In any case, it's very difficult to control the sea.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Ka: 10:36pm On May 08, 2005
Let the necessary measures be implemented and we'll see if the ‘spirits’ find it in their powers to overflow the beach again.

Ra,

It's the spirits that are also preventing our leaders from implementing the necessary measures. smiley
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Ra(f): 7:07pm On May 09, 2005
Ka: It's the spirits that are also preventing our leaders from implementing the necessary measures. smiley

Well, in that case, my brother, we are, as they say, royally smoked!
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by whizkid(f): 4:21pm On May 10, 2005
The House of reps have decided to intervene in this matter. They said that the federal and Lagos State Governments should stop playing politics and get something done fast, since like they put it "Lives are involved".
Alleluia!
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by hotangel2(f): 7:40am On Jun 22, 2005
that's kinda sad.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by dejiolowe: 7:50pm On Dec 12, 2005
I can almost swear that the ocean will sweep the whole of VI away before something is done.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by fesokinto: 4:17pm On Apr 13, 2006
The barbeach problem is in two dimensions. The barbeach flood will continue as long as the Lagos sea port entry channel remains. The port access from the Atlantic was protected from siltation by building three moles at the entry. The moles have over the years disturbed the natural stability Along the coast. It is noteworthy to say that the two barrier beaches exist west and east of the port entry and as the years rolled by, the light house beach on the west is expanding oceanward while the barbeach on the west side is eroded daily inland.
The flooding is further complicated by the erosion and drainage problems within the island.
The flood problems can only be solved if the problems are analyzed by the right professionals and a management committee set up to enforce routine maintenance and management of the coastline and inland drainages.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by LoverBwoy(m): 4:30am On Apr 14, 2006
why cant they just build a barrier like the thames barrier? it will be useful for many many years thats if they maintain it

Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by DivineOke(f): 5:51am On Apr 15, 2006
@ Loverbwoy,

Thank God u remembered to add that part - that's if they maintain it coz d nigerian govt doesnt seem 2 be good at maintainin anythin
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Mariory(m): 5:51pm On Apr 15, 2006
@Loverboy
I'm not sure that that kind of structure will work. The thames barrier is built on a river which isin't that wide.

I think what lagos needs are well built concrete levies or flood walls.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by LoverBwoy(m): 6:24pm On Apr 15, 2006
Thanks Mariory, something along those lines but stronger and well maintained than those in Louisiana
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by dblock(m): 4:42am On Sep 27, 2006
God DOE don't tell me my post got deleted again angry angry angry angry
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by dblock(m): 8:31am On Sep 27, 2006
My bad sorry seun you didn't delete nothing  I posted here; https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-274.0.html
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by dblock(m): 12:15pm On Oct 08, 2006
Mol, Bar beach needs Netherlands type levies, mann those dutch gays are smart

Mariory:

@Loverboy
I'm not sure that that kind of structure will work. The thames barrier is built on a river which isin't that wide.

I think what lagos needs are well built concrete levies or flood walls.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by DutchBat: 12:25pm On Jan 13, 2007
2 years later,

Funny, it's a Dutch company http://www.dmc.nl/ that has implemented the shore protection to prevent more erosion at Bar beach by using Xblocs http://www.xbloc.com/htm/projects.php?projectid=3.

I guess they listened to your advice Dblock!  grin
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Constantin: 8:25pm On Jan 14, 2007
i am so fes up with this kind of news coming out of Nigeria, in Asia entire new city are erected while we are unable to fix the drainage properly at Bar Beach , IT IS A SHAME!
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by dblock(m): 3:03am On Jan 19, 2007
But the funny thing is that useful and reasonable projects are actually been proposed but the fact of the matter is that corruption still exists, for example there was a major road project in Sokoto which was meant to have been completed by now but apparently the contractor involved was ina deal with the Government that would see them keep a share of the allocated money and Anneni and his men would get the rest. Nigeria produces intelligent people, but c'mon corruption still exists in Nigeria and until it is fully tackled then these propbelems will continue to hunt the nation.

As for Bar Beach it will probably stop overflowing it's bank sometime in the future cos along with that xbloc development other private companies are working their ass's off to make it a truly great tourist destination
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by holythug(m): 7:15pm On Jan 30, 2008
bar beach is history, is it still a beach?
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Panache(m): 12:48am On Feb 04, 2008
I pray it won't go down like N.Orleans one day.
Re: Bar Beach (Victoria Island, Lagos) Has Overflown Its Bank Again! by Ena345(f): 4:53pm On Nov 26, 2008
Hi guyz.

Gud concerns. Now, a part of the lagoon, right of the third mainland bridge is being reclaimed. What do you think is the effect on the enviironment, esp. as it relates to flooding?

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Progressives Let's Endorse Muhammadu Buhari / Ugwuanyi Inaugurates Newly-Elected Council Chairmen / Divide Nigeria Now, No Angel Can Unite Us – Northern Elder: Arewa Gazette

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.