Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) (3084 Views)

Never Trust That Boyfriend Who Does This (Photo) / Is A Girl Who Does This Every Man's Dream Girl? ( PICTURE ) / Who Does Well Around Girl? (secret Formular to getting girls 18+) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by chineloSA(f): 11:12am On Nov 09, 2013
I have this friend who has been friends with a guy from childhood. Their parents were always trying to hook them up and they even sent them to the same Univ.

They went to the same Uni. though the guy was doing Medicine and the girl another course.
The girl graduated before the guy and started working. The guy later graduated and started working as a doctor.
Still they would not date because the girl was skeptical to date the guy because of she said she was scared of needles and she could not handle seeing him injecting himself on a daily basis and also she said she read somewhere that Diabetics suffer bedroom problems because of the condition. But she always loved the guy with no doubt. They did everything together at Univ.; people thought they were dating.

They later on dated different people, but their friendship always created a problem for both of them in their relationships. Still they kept contact ( which may have been unfair to their partners then )

They both went their different ways but kept contact. The guy later on became successful Gynaecologist (in a foreign land) and the woman in her Science field, and still the guy wont let go of the girl.

Fast forward>>>>>>>>The guy later on had kidney failure which is another complication for Diabetes. The guy has to do dialysis on a daily basis. Meaning ( in my lay mans terms ) he has this machine @ home that he administers himself which sucks his blood out, cleans it and takes the blood back into his body. DAILY!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked So the guy does this everyday at night around 22:00 until the next day 6:00.

The possible problems I foresee is
1) with his diabetes, it means they are likely to struggle in bedmatics
2) with his kidney failure every night when they have to focus on bedmatics the guy has to plug on the dialysis machine and the cleaning starts. shocked shocked shocked

The guy is a very good man. Comes from a good family. He believes in marriage with his whole heart. And besides they have been friends for very long and are compatible in alot of ways. My God cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Though the machine really helps him alot, while waiting for a decision from his Nephrologist whether to proceed with receiving a donation or not. Personally the thought of a dialysis machine and needles, gives me creeps. cry cry cry cry

Though my friend is not confused about her feelings, but she is confused about her possible consequences if she decides to marry the guy.
What would you advice her to do if it were your friend. Would you advice her to:
1) Ignore all of this and follow her heart and ignore her heard and marry the guy. Marry the guy regardless of his medical condition which may create serious problems in the future including the possibility of cheating ( because of lack of s..X ) and possibility of being widowed while young.
2) take into consider of all his medical condition and look for someone else sad sad sad

Advice please.Only intelligent reasoning allowed cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 09, 2013
Hmmmmmmmm....diabetes, if managed well shouldn't be a cause of bedmatics problem. But he'll have to manage it well. The timing for d dialysis could be adjusted to it in to their daily schedule. If she's ready to stand by the guy through thick and thin, and that's where her heart is, she should go for it. Shr just needs to educate herself on the conditions of the guy. If she decides to marry another person while her heart is still with this guy, it won't just be fair on all parties involved.

Also, this is a serious topic, you might wanna move it to the family section to get more matured responses.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Fxwarrior: 12:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
To get more matured what? Why did you comment if you ain't matured girl!
Op wetin come concern you for this mata? Better allow her make decision herself and live with it.
Heart and Head are separated. Do you know why?

alutacontinua: Hmmmmmmmm....diabetes, if managed well shouldn't be a cause of bedmatics problem. But he'll have to manage it well. The timing for d dialysis could be adjusted to it in to their daily schedule. If she's ready to stand by the guy through thick and thin, and that's where her heart is, she should go for it. Shr just needs to educate herself on the conditions of the guy. If she decides to marry another person while her heart is still with this guy, it won't just be fair on all parties involved.

Also, this is a serious topic, you might wanna move it to the family section to get more matured responses.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
Fxwarrior: To get more matured what? Why did you comment if you ain't matured girl!
Op wetin come concern you for this mata? Better allow her make decision herself and live with it.

That's why she said matured responses

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by chineloSA(f): 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
Fxwarrior: To get more matured what? Why did you comment if you ain't matured girl!

See this Salah ram making noise. Wetin come concern me for dis mata?? She asked me for advice.

Go eat grass like other rams, abeg. sad sad

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
I'm actually interested in this topic, cos a friend of mine just got diagnosed recently with kidney failure. He has been on dialysis for some weeks now. The thing is he also has a girl he has been planning on marrying.

Anyway, @OP, would this dialysis go on forever? Or would there be a time where he'd at least have to go through kidney transplant to replace the failed kidney, that's if and when he gets a donor though.

Still even scared of talking to my friend about his kidney issue.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by chineloSA(f): 7:49pm On Nov 09, 2013
masonkz: I'm actually interested in this topic, cos a friend of mine just got diagnosed recently with kidney failure. He has been on dialysis for some weeks now. The thing is he also has a girl he has been planning on marrying.

Anyway, @OP, would this dialysis go on forever? Or would there be a time where he'd at least have to go through kidney transplant to replace the failed kidney, that's if and when he gets a donor though.

Still even scared of talking to my friend about his kidney issue.

Luv, I will see how much response I get. If little response, I may move the topic to another section as suggested.

Your friend need serious support, don't run away from him when he needs you the most. His girlfriend is in for a challenge, I tell you.Some days are good and some are bad. Some days they wake some they cant. Kidney failure affects alot of things. In fact she must accept she has a first born ( his boyfriend), not a boyfriend, little expectations. Support him with his Diet, mental health, dialysis etc. Dialysis on its own is too much work, lucky the guy is a doctor himself.
Your friends own is better, he only has kidney failure and he may get a donor and live a full life. undecided undecided undecided undecided

According to the guy, he has a donor who matches. His childhood friend, but his Nephrologist is against a transplant for now. He wants him to be on dialysis and then see. I am not sure,see what because kidney damage is not reversible.

Talk to your friend though. He needs you. smiley smiley
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:

Luv, I will see how much response I get. If little response, I may move the topic to another section as suggested.

Your friend need serious support, don't run away from him when he needs you the most. His girlfriend is in for a challenge, I tell you.Some days are good and some are bad. Some days they wake some they cant. Kidney failure affects alot of things. In fact she must accept she has a first born ( his boyfriend), not a boyfriend, little expectations. Support him with his Diet, mental health, dialysis etc. Dialysis on its own is too much work, lucky the guy is a doctor himself.
Your friends own is better, he only has kidney failure and he may get a donor and live a full life. undecided undecided undecided undecided

According to the guy, he has a donor who matches. His childhood friend, but his Nephrologist is against a transplant for now. He wants him to be on dialysis and then see. I am not sure,see what because kidney damage is not reversible.

Transplant shld be the last resort because once she gets a transplant, she'll be put on some drugs which would weaken her immune system. Her chances of fighting infections become very slim which means she even has a higher chance of dieing from infections than kidney failure.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by chineloSA(f): 7:58pm On Nov 09, 2013
alutacontinua:

Transplant shld be the last resort because once she gets a transplant, she'll be put on some drugs which would weaken her immune system. Her chances of fighting infections become very slim which means she even has a higher chance of dieing from infections than kidney failure.

This is serious shocked shocked
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 09, 2013
chineloSA:

I actually had to run to the hospital immediately he broke the news to me. Just had to put up the whole strong-guy attitude and not show a trace of fear, cos he was very happy when I visited. Been keeping in touch too, and I trust my humour side.

We just had to catch up on other small talks and discussions. But asking questions regarding the issue were just what I couldn't bring myself to do, cos I didn't wanna hear that he was gonna be on dialysis forever.

Will be paying him a visit again tomorrow, hopefully I'll bring myself to talk more on the subject.

I can only imagine what the Fiancee will be thinking too.

As for the original question, if I really loved the person prior to the ailment and the person still believes in marriage, then yea I can go ahead with it.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
alutacontinua:

Do you mean that the numerous people that have done transplants have a high risk of dieing from kidney-related infections?
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by dkronicle(m): 8:47pm On Nov 09, 2013
All that is needed in a relationship is understanding.. If the girl is scared that the guy's life is @stake she should just remember that car accident kills in a min. She should just know that the owner of someone's life is God. She should just think positively.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
masonkz:

Do you mean that the numerous people that have done transplants have a high risk of dieing from kidney-related infections?

Actually, all kinds of infections. Not only kidney-related, their immune system is suppressed, so, it won't fight the new kidney, thereby, exposing them to infections.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 09, 2013
alutacontinua:

Actually, all kinds of infections. Not only kidney-related, their immune system is suppressed, so, it won't fight the new kidney, thereby, exposing them to infections.

Hmm. So I guess they consistently have to be on treatment even after the whole transplant.

I agree, this should be moved to health.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by chineloSA(f): 9:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
masonkz:

Hmm. So I guess they consistently have to be on treatment even after the whole transplant.

I agree, this should be moved to health.

Well the woman is informed with regard to both his conditions.
The problem is making a decision as the condition may affect their
se..ual health,
life expectancy,
loss of fertility,
lack of libido,
future plans even depression when all thing are not going accordingly etc.

We are talking about two conditions here. Diabetes and kidney failure. sad sad sad

Lets see, i may move it
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by specialguest(f): 11:29pm On Nov 09, 2013
This is a very personal topic to me because i have spent the last 4 years of my life taking care of a kidney failure patient who happens to be my mother and it has not been eazy. Let me give you a little idea of the challenges i go through and your friend is likely to face for now until a successful transplant has been done.

1) the patient i am taking care of dialysis 3 times a week in a hospital and each session is four hours! I find time to drop and pick her up from the hospital in between my work schedule but luckily enough for your friend her patient has a dialysis machine at home so that makes it alot easier except off-course it coincides with the bedmatics time your friend so desires. So compromises have to be made on your friend's part.

2) depending on where the dialysis access has been created the patient might not be able to have a full bath due to the fear of infecting where the dialysis access is. What this means is that your friend might have to help him clean up every now and then

3) kidney failure patients suffer alot of complications among which is bone degeneration, therefore they constantly take expensive injections like iron and eropotein epo . Lets hope your friend's fiancee's bills are covered by a health insurance scheme else this might put a strain on their finances because i can recall some moments where i had to pay for those injections and i virtually empty my wallet yet the money wont be enough till use my atm card in their pos to complete the money. Remember it is not a one off thing!

4) when the toxic level in their blood is high i.e creatinine and urea, they mostly throw up any food eaten so this means your friend may be dealing with constant vomit except of course he dialysis constantly and the toxic clearance after his dialysis is good.

5) kindly note that dialysis is very very very expensive. In private hospitals in Abuja it costs between 25000 to 30000 Naira per session and most patients require 3 sessions weekly till they can get a transplant done. This brings me back to number 3 finance! 25000* 3 times a week = 75000 plus iron and epo approx 100,000 weekly that amounts to almost half a million in a month! It takes the grace of God for a dialysis patient not to go broke except he is a millionaire.

6) mood swings, depression, attitudinal changes etc are some common behaviors found in kidney failure patients and i am sure we all know why they behave that way sometimes! Bottom line is it is not eazy but if after reading all these she feels she can cope, fine she should go ahead by all means please .

I could go on and on but i really don't feel like typing much tonight.

Above everything, love conquers all so i have found myself joyfully and willingly taking care of the kidney failure patient i have with all my heart, might and strength while looking up to God for a miracle healing in her life and the life of every other CKD patient.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 3:56am On Nov 10, 2013
^Specialguest, I hope you continue to find the strength to take care of your mom. Hugs.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by specialguest(f): 1:40pm On Nov 10, 2013
Yield: ^Specialguest, I hope you continue to find the strength to take care of your mom. Hugs.

Thankx yeild, God bless you

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by chineloSA(f): 7:44pm On Nov 10, 2013
specialguest:
1) the patient i am taking care of dialysis 3 times a week in a hospital and each session is four hours! I find time to drop and pick her up from the hospital in between my work schedule but luckily enough for your friend her patient has a dialysis machine at home so that makes it alot easier except off-course it coincides with the bedmatics time your friend so desires. So compromises have to be made on your friend's part.

2) depending on where the dialysis access has been created the patient might not be able to have a full bath due to the fear of infecting where the dialysis access is. What this means is that your friend might have to help him clean up every now and then

3) kidney failure patients suffer alot of complications among which is bone degeneration, therefore they constantly take expensive injections like iron and eropotein epo . Lets hope your friend's fiancee's bills are covered by a health insurance scheme else this might put a strain on their finances because i can recall some moments where i had to pay for those injections and i virtually empty my wallet yet the money wont be enough till use my atm card in their pos to complete the money. Remember it is not a one off thing!

4) when the toxic level in their blood is high i.e creatinine and urea, they mostly throw up any food eaten so this means your friend may be dealing with constant vomit except of course he dialysis constantly and the toxic clearance after his dialysis is good.

Apparently the guy does it on a daily basis, I am not sure why. It has to be six hours in a day and the only time that he does it is when he comes back from work, normally after 20:00. So I am not sure why he does it till the next day.It could be that, diabetes he has, which requires that he dialyse longer undecided undecided. I don't know

But since he got his machine, there has been immense improvement on his health. Apparently he goes to work daily and less sickly than before. Thanks to his supportive collleagues.

Thanks alot, too much information to take into consideration for my friend. Personally I cannot deal with this. Too scared of needles, hospital let alone labour ( which is compulsory somehow if you are a married woman )undecided undecided undecided

specialguest:
5) kindly note that dialysis is very very very expensive. In private hospitals in Abuja it costs between 25000 to 30000 Naira per session and most patients require 3 sessions weekly till they can get a transplant done. This brings me back to number 3 finance! 25000* 3 times a week = 75000 plus iron and epo approx 100,000 weekly that amounts to almost half a million in a month! It takes the grace of God for a dialysis patient not to go broke except he is a millionaire.

With regards to costs, I do not foresee any problem. He is out of Naija and he gets paid very well as a specialist ( gynaecologist ) and his collegues ( other doctors ) are so supportive, so I think he sometimes gets treated at no costs. smiley smiley smiley

specialguest:
6) mood swings, depression, attitudinal changes etc are some common behaviors found in kidney failure patients and i am sure we all know why they behave that way sometimes! Bottom line is it is not eazy but if after reading all these she feels she can cope, fine she should go ahead by all means please .

That is one of my friends fears. She fears she may not be able to cope. I have reassured her that I will always be there for her as her support system when the going gets tough sad sad sad sad

She also fears if they will be able to have babies. If it affects his fertility will she cope with being childless. I think she is very informed about the disease, but the problem is taking a decisions with all the information at her disposal.

But as you explained, undecided undecided undecided undecided I can only now realise its really hard work especially with his diabetes as well. She really have a tough decision ahead of her smiley smiley smiley smiley

Thanks a lot , hope your mama gets well or gets a donor. smiley smiley
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by specialguest(f): 8:15pm On Nov 10, 2013
@ ChineloSA a nephrologist once told me that tongue some of the drugs kidney failure patients take can actually affect fertility in women but I don't know about the effects of the drugs on. men. You can ask online @ mayo clinic am sure a nephrologist would be glad to respond to your query.
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by chineloSA(f): 8:36pm On Nov 10, 2013
specialguest: @ ChineloSA a nephrologist once told me that tongue some of the drugs kidney failure patients take can actually affect fertility in women but I don't know about the effects of the drugs on. men. You can ask online @ mayo clinic am sure a nephrologist would be glad to respond to your query.

shocked shocked shocked shocked Now I see why she is skeptical. She has been very worried about fertility.

Thanks sha. I will do a little research for her, before advising her. But I think this is bigger than anyone. undecided undecided Very critical decision undecided
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 10, 2013
About the fertility 'ish', i think the guy could go for fertility tests, to allay her fears.

I must be sincere with you, it's a tough call but love can do anything. One of my friends (SS) has even gone through her kidney transplant, it was even her hubby (then fiance) that donated a kidney to her, there was a tym she was almost dying (by dt, i mean she was in coma for abt three weeks), but the guy still married her anywayz. The marriage is almost a year now and they're coping. By God's grace, she'll be having her baby soon. The guy had enough reasons to bail out but he didn't, in my books, that is 'love'! I'm nt saying ur friend would be blamed if she leaves d guy (to say d truth, i honestly wouldn't) but what if these conditions developed after marriage, would she bail out? Life itself is full of uncertainties and could be mostly ironical. As at the moment, it might even be the lady that has fertility issues and not the guy, who says she wouldn't even die before the guy, anywayz!

If she's brave and strong enough, she shld damn it jor and go for what her heart wants! Send my greetings to her and I wish her the very best!

And hey, make suo u're der for her all the way, whatever she decides to do, don't blame or judge her, all she needs from you is TO BE THERE FOR HER!
Re: Would You Marry A Man Who Is Diabetic + Kidney Failure (who Does Dialysis Daily) by tpapi: 1:12pm On Nov 11, 2013
specialguest: This is a very personal topic to me because i have spent the last 4 years of my life taking care of a kidney failure patient who happens to be my mother and it has not been eazy. Let me give you a little idea of the challenges i go through and your friend is likely to face for now until a successful transplant has been done.

I could go on and on but i really don't feel like typing much tonight.

Above everything, love conquers all so i have found myself joyfully and willingly taking care of the kidney failure patient i have with all my heart, might and strength while looking up to God for a miracle healing in her life and the life of every other CKD patient.
can we xchange email, there r som quest i wan 2 ask

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Just Tell Me What's Happening??? / 10 Rules For Dating My Daughter With Photo / hjj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.