Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington (22471 Views)

Denzel And Huddah First To Be Evicted From Big Brother Africa The Chase / Who Is The Better Actor?odunlade Adekola Or Femi Adebayo? / Denzel Washington Vs. Will Smith (Poll) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Sisikill: 3:58pm On Jul 16, 2008
My List of the Greatest Actors and Actress of all time

Damon Wayans
Shawn Wayans
Marlon Wayans
Gia Carides,
Patrick Swayze
Ben Stiller
Bill Paxton
Cary Elwes
The Rock

All the actors mentioned above can wipe and I mean WIIIIIIPE the floor with actors like

Sidney Portier
Daniel Day Lewis
Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Cate Blanchett
Meryl Streep
Kate Winslet
Susan Sarandon.

These actors have a lot, a whole lot to learn from the actors on the first list.

Why. . . I can just see Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino tripping over each other trying to be the first to bask in the greatness that is The Rock.

Daniel Day Lewis can learn facial comedy from the Wayans Brothers.

Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet will be lucky to have Gia Carides teach them a thing or two.

Yep, Box Office Record sure is a good way to measure how great an actor is.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by davidif: 4:03pm On Jul 16, 2008
SEAN PENN AND JACK NICHOLSON ARE THE GREATEST ACTORS OF OUR TIME. while the great legendary MERRYL STREEP IS THE GREATEST ACTRESS IN OUR OWN ERA.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Sisikill: 4:34pm On Jul 16, 2008
link=topic=151120.msg2512180#msg2512180 date=1216171921:

I was trying to make a point. The only main movie that the world acknowledge him from is Hotel Rwanda. He didn't even star in most of those movies You mentioned. It is not consider his movie.

Hey SeanT21, How are ya? Good ? Ah Splendid.

So Newsflash. . . the WORLD isn’t YOU.

Just because Hotel Rwanda is the only Don Cheadle Movie you know does not mean the rest of us didn't know others.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Sisikill: 4:44pm On Jul 16, 2008
davidif:

SEAN PENN AND JACK NICHOLSON ARE THE GREATEST ACTORS OF OUR TIME. while the great legendary MERRYL STREEP IS THE GREATEST ACTRESS IN OUR OWN ERA.

But. . . but. . . what about Regina King, Gabrielle Union, Jessica Alba, Katherine Heigl?

Their movies killed at the box office, surely that puts them in the same league as Meryl Streep.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Gamine(f): 4:55pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Topic, i like both of them

Denzel tends towards the serious.

Will tends towards the comic.

i think they r both OK
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by thando(f): 5:02pm On Jul 16, 2008
will smiths acting is just as good as his rhyming. talking of hotel rwanda great movie but they really messed up when they got SA actors who were speaking zulu in the film.i find that very Disrespectfull and that was not the first time.big time american film makers should do proper research on the culture of the ppl first b4 shooting of the movie.imagine watching a movie set in Liberia and finding all the natives speaking yoruba. pleeez
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by A40(m): 5:32pm On Jul 16, 2008
@saintkola
I prefer Will Smith like it or not

@KarmaMod
You are smoking way too much Reggie Miller for your own good and they are affecting your brain cells.Besides who told you Ice Cube isnt a good actor? then you went ahead to diss Cuba Gooding Jr shocked mention Adam Sandler as a box office hit next thing we know you would compare Saheed Balogun to Bruce Wilis

@Gamine
Please watch some of Will Smith's recent movies there's absolutely nothing funny about them
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Gamine(f): 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2008
I havent watched hancock, but i hear its quite funny.

Will smith, yes i loved him in pursuit of happyness and I am Legend.

but where hv u seen Denzel acting anything comic
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by KarmaMod(f): 5:54pm On Jul 16, 2008
Lmao SisiKill you are ridiculous grin

Love the cut of your jib cool

But you really should remove Billy Paxton from that crew of FLUNKIES. He's actually pretty good. wink

A-40, please dont even bother me anymore. When it come sto the art of Film, you are not the one I'd discuss with. No offence.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by A40(m): 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2008
KarmaMod:

A-40, please don't even bother me anymore. When it come sto the art of Film, you are not the one I'd discuss with. No offence.
Bother you? Who cares or where did i beg you to discuss anything Orishirishi!! You are the one that started something besides i dont remember typing Karma Mod when i opened this thread i had to put you in your place when you started talking smack

@Gamine
That brother needs to lighten up he takes things too seriously besides he only does serious stuff for a reason imagine Denzel acting something comic that film would be so unwatchable
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by KarmaMod(f): 6:20pm On Jul 16, 2008
crack is wack grin
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by A40(m): 7:13pm On Jul 16, 2008
Lol tell that to your dopeman tongue
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by KarmaMod(f): 7:17pm On Jul 16, 2008
There's no hope with dope. K? grin
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by A40(m): 7:42pm On Jul 16, 2008
Wouldnt fare any better with Reggie Miller's either grin
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by KarmaMod(f): 9:00pm On Jul 16, 2008
whatever that means
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by SeanT21(f): 12:03am On Jul 17, 2008
Sisikill:

Hey SeanT21, How are ya? Good ? Ah Splendid.

So Newsflash. . . the WORLD isn’t YOU.

Just because Hotel Rwanda is the only Don Cheadle Movie you know does not mean the rest of us didn't know others.

How many times should i try to explain this. I know it is not the only movie he starred in. it is however the only movie that People recognize him from. Many people didn'tven know he existed until "Rwanda" came out.

When You ask people about him the first thing that comes to mind is "HOTEL RWANDA".
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by CH3COO(m): 12:05am On Jul 17, 2008
SeanT21:

How many times should i try to explain this. I know it is not the only movie he starred in. it is however the only movie that People recognize him from.
apparently not. since these sample people have seen him in many others movies and are now correcting you.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by iice(f): 2:12am On Jul 17, 2008
SeanT21:

How many times should i try to explain this. I know it is not the only movie he starred in. it is however the only movie that People recognize him from. Many people didn'tven know he existed until "Rwanda" came out.

When You ask people about him the first thing that comes to mind is "HOTEL RWANDA".

Blockbuster people you mean
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by tng(f): 12:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
I agree that denzel is stereotyped but he is still a better actor than will
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Gamine(f): 1:45pm On Jul 17, 2008
We all agree to that.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Sisikill: 3:32pm On Jul 17, 2008
KarmaMod:

Exactly! So may people don't understand. They think 'oh been in a big blockbuster = best actor". That's NOT the case

Alot of GREAT actors are in independent movies or movies that don't even gross as much. They are picky with the scripts they choose. They choose to be in movies that represent their talent, not CGI action stuff. And Its like most people don't even know that the movie is usually a blockbuster because of the plot or story and not just for the actors.

Personally alot of actors I respect and adore and find them utterly talented are hardly in "blockbuster movies", but hey that's me. Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors and he just started getting true recognition when they made him Batman whereas he has way better movies under his belt

This reminded of an article I read when Will Smith was promoting I am Legend, I scoured the net all day yesterday. . . okay, that makes me sound like a jobless person. The truth is I was thinking of scouring the net yesterday but didn’t actually start scouring until this morning. . . yes, yes, that’s it.

Anyhoo, back to the blockbuster debate, it is one thing to be so good, your movies become blockbusters, it quite another to strategically go for blockbusters. For Willy boy, it’s not about the art, nah. . . it’s about the money, money, money and stardom. Don’t get me wrong, I like that he is not apologetic about where his head is at. . . in fact, I admire him for his honesty. Nothing irks me more than a silly fame hungry wannabe actor, in dirty jeans, looking unwashed because he thinks it makes him more artsy, talking about being in it for “the craft”. I’m like. . . Give me a freaking break, I can see the dollar signs where your pupils are supposed to be Kato, Jeez.

So yeah, Will Smith’s candor about what he is really about, is a breath of fresh air.

From the horse’s mouth (and no, that wasn’t a dig at his long ears, I promise you)

KW: Did you feel that it was financially risky to release a big-budgeted, CGI creature feature at Christmas time?

WS: I’m a student of the patterns of the universe. If I can figure out how something is seemingly risky, but I have the numbers on my side, I get really comfortable taking a leap. When I first came to Hollywood, I said to my manager, James Lassiter, “I want to be the biggest movie star in the world!” He said, “Okay, we should probably figure out what they do, and plot a course.” So, he went and got the top ten movies of all time. We watched them to try to figure out what were the patterns. And ten out of ten of them were special effects movies. Nine out of ten were special effects movies with creatures. And eight out of ten were special effects movies with creatures and a love story. So, Independence Day was not really a hard call to make when you look at the numbers. Therefore, I Am Legend, in concept, is not a hard call to make.

http://www.disilgold.com/moviereviews.html

And after I am Legend, he did HANCRAP. . . another CGI movie.

Just for good measures. . .

Will Smith Plays It Safe

Written by: Angela P. Cobb

Smith stuck in his own form of typecasting.

Actor Will Smith fancies a sure thing. He steers clear of films that are not big-budget blockbusters, as he is dubious of the chances such films have of succeeding financially, WENN reports.

Smith has remained comfortable in the action and sci-fi genres. Films such as Men in Black and Independence Day have grossed at the box office and made him a mega star. However, such successes have also made Smith unwilling to push the envelope, fearing a flop.

“I fear that if I don't do that 'Will Smith' thing, then it won't be successful,” the 39-year old actor admits.

However Smith is aware of such fears and perhaps will conquer them. He predicts that he still has plenty to do in the industry. “I think the next four or five years are going to be my innovative prime,” he plans.

http://thecelebritycafe.com/features/17185.html

Mr Will Smith goes to Washington

Here's Smith talking about how he and his manager measured box office patterns from a Top 10 list of all-time movie hits - and this, mind you, before he'd made a movie: "We realised that 10 out of 10 had special effects. Nine out of 10 had special effects with creatures. Eight out of 10 had special effects with creatures and a love story." Cue the elements familiar to us from Independence Day, I, Robot, the Men in Black films, Bad Boys, and this year in I Am Legend and Hancock.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/patterson/story/0,,2288798,00.html

So you see. . . Will Smith Defenders, when people say he’s just a movie star, they aren’t putting him down, they are calling the name he strove for. This is also why he can and should never ever be compared to the GREAT MR. DENZEL WASHINGTON!!!

Thank You. grin
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by KarmaMod(f): 3:36pm On Jul 17, 2008
Actor Will Smith fancies a sure thing. He steers clear of films that are not big-budget blockbusters, as he is dubious of the chances such films have of succeeding financially

Yep. Not sure why people run around trying to compare him tpo Great actors. He just happens to throw himself in movies that were gonna be big based on their "action packed" plots in the first place.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by A40(m): 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2008
KarmaMod:

whatever that means
Pretender! you dont know what your favorite stuff is you must have a thing for 40 boy as thats the only way i can explain your stalking me from thread to thread

What does his looking for block buster films have to do with the fact that he is a great actor he is versatile and doesnt put himself in a box like Denzel does but like i said we all have a right to our opinions and contrary to general opinion i prefer Will
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Sisikill: 6:08pm On Jul 17, 2008
Can you seriously picture WS playing a baddie? Nope, because it is the anti-thesis of the persona he has cultivated. . . the good guy.

When your real life personality prevents you from giving yourself to the art. . . you ain't no actor in my book. smiley
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Gamine(f): 6:11pm On Jul 17, 2008
I guess undecided
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by savanaha: 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2008
Sisikill:

Can you seriously picture WS playing a baddie? Nope, because it is the anti-thesis of the persona he has cultivated. . . the good guy.

When your real life personality prevents you from giving yourself to the art. . . you ain't no actor in my book. smiley

Isn't your anti-thesistic theory (nw) the same for DW or so people say. Even in his Training Day movie the media later chastized him for playing the bad guy with a good heart. I just feel that some people are cast into the same role even when they try to get out of it. Look at Eddie Murphy or Will Farrel or me. They try to be serious and most people don't get it because they are type cast. Thats just that.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by CH3COO(m): 6:19pm On Jul 17, 2008
savanaha:

Isn't your anti-thesistic theory (nw) the same for DW or so people say. Even in his Training Day movie the media later chastized him for playing the bad guy with a good heart. I just feel that some people are cast into the same role even when they try to get out of it. Look at Eddie Murphy or Will Farrel or me. They try to be serious and most people don't get it because they are type cast. Thats just that.

true that.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Gamine(f): 6:21pm On Jul 17, 2008
i guess undecided
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by CH3COO(m): 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2008
stop guessing. speak.
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Gamine(f): 7:24pm On Jul 17, 2008
lol
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by Sisikill: 7:59pm On Jul 17, 2008
savanaha:

Bless you!!!

They TRY but WS doesn't and he is happy to tell you he is not a risk taker. For pete's sake, the guy has a strategy in place to ensure he does not mistakenly cross over to the dark side (again, I have no beef with that). For me, comparing him to Denzel Washington is like comparing a Monk to an Average Joe guy on the street who has chosen to be calibate. The latter is out there. . . facing temptation from every angle and overcoming it while the former locks himself away from society in a remote tower.

I love this snippet from Wikipedia about Denzel Washington

Malcolm X transformed Washington's career, turning him, practically overnight, into one of Hollywood's most respected actors. He turned down several similar roles, such as an offer to play Martin Luther King, Jr., because he wanted to avoid being typecast. The next year, in 1993, he took another risk in his career by playing Joe Miller, the homophobic lawyer of a homosexual man with AIDS in the movie Philadelphia starring Tom Hanks.

Okay, okay I can't deny my bias is running amok on this thread. . . it's Denzel Washington! I love my Willy Nilly Smith too but again it's Denzel Washington!!! grin
Re: Who Is The Better Actor? Will Smith Or Denzel Washington by CH3COO(m): 8:04pm On Jul 17, 2008
good heavens. don't you think your notion of monk and average joe is too far-fetched.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Over 3000 Fans Sign Petition To Bring Back Beauty / Top Nollywood Movie Directors By Domestic Gross Value - Statisense / BBNaija: Liquorose Wins Trophy, ₦100,000 In Bet9ja Task

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.