Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

HIV/AIDS Support Group.... - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS Support Group.... (46619 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by cyty: 10:29am On Nov 21, 2013
Heartie01: I wonder y must people decided to keep quite about their HIV status...Most people are positive and are dying silently, they have forgotten something Saying their minds and ao they feel can make them get better emotional...Am positive to HIV on septrin already and doing fine....

SEPTRIN. Does it work for Hiv patients?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by ebonylady4real(f): 10:50am On Nov 21, 2013
Everyday, people living with HIV/AIDS are stigmatized in our society. Even as they battle with the disease to their last breath; they are denied the freedom they deserve and as a result, they lose the zeal to chase their dreams.

We are inviting you to join us in the fight against the stigmatization of people living with HIV/AIDS as we join forces with Friends Africa to organize its second edition of the World AIDS Day "Superstars Play for Life". This is a novelty football campaign designed to create awareness about the stigmatization and discrimination of people living with HIV/AIDS; and by extension, leverage the convening power of sports to advocate this cause.

This will hold on Saturday, 30th November 2013 at the Campus Mini Stadium, Onikan, Lagos.

Entertainers and Ex-Super Eagles stars will be there to play and you'll also get free counseling and testing for one week as you join millions of Nigerians who'll lend their voices to people living with HIV/AIDS.

Read more about the campaign HERE

For partnership opportunities, please call +23418445599
or visit http://www.superstarsplayforlife.org/ for more information.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by cyty: 11:14am On Nov 21, 2013
lumeviews.com:
Some may know my website, therefore I am not faceless and say all these knowing that y'all can trace me. A wise person once said, "My people die from ignorance". Back then, I used to think if I ever became HIV+, I would commit suicide and get it over with.

Over the last couple of years, I learnt a lot about HIV and completely lost my phobia of it. These are not empty words because I dated someone who is HIV+. By "dated", I mean a relationship where we did almost everything together. Had unprotected intimacy a few times inbetween all the other times... And the reason we used a condom most times was to avoid pregnancy, not because of the fear of AIDS. We continued with the relationship even after we found out about her status in 2011 although it was a difficult period for us. Luckily, our immediate family were there for us. I was with her when she began treatment and counselling. I gained more as a human being from that experience. Sadly, she was one of the casualties on the Dana plane crash last year. I'm still free of the virus as I type this...

Just thought I'd share because I know the struggle for those living with the virus and I hope someone out there gains strength from this.

Don't know if I would deliberately jump into another relationship with someone infected with the virus but the difference in my mentality now is that it wouldn't stop me if I truly like/love the person.

The disease is manageable now. All that's left is to find the cure.

God bless everyone who have to deal with this condition every day. They say there is a difference between a human being and being human. Take heart and ignore the ignorant ones who stigmatize others!

Here's a toast to the future... Remember you live every day and only die once.

Ciao.

Wow, i really dnt know What to say buh im really touched. Your story is close to mine.
I ws pursuing a job in lagos just cos my fiance stays in Lag so for me to join him,ds ws early ds year while in ibadan. In d process, i ws asked to bring My medical report. Went to an hospital and told d doctor i wanted a medical report. At dat point- i braved up and told mysef i wanted to know My HIV status. I ws asked to come d next day. D next day, i went back to d hospital and d doc told m i ws positive. I ws shocked. i left d hospital trecking a long distance not knowing wat i wud do next. Immediately, i caalled My fiance and told him. I really did broke down. I ws shocked/confused.i wondered Where i got it from. After speaking with him,he asked me to come meet him in lagos. Iwent to lagos to meet wiv him and we both wen to two diff hospitals to get tested- i tested positive,he tested negative. Dere and den i told him to move on with his life. Crying bitterly and wonderg Where i must have contacted it frm. And he said NO! We were going thru dis togeda. That same nyt, he made Love to m. Telling m i ws gong no Where. I just felt he wud leave m sooner or ltr cos i cudnt blv it. I left lagos for ibadan with d tot dat it ws over btw US buh im tεlling you, we are still togeda.
After reading thru ds trend ystday, i called him and told him i wanted to go for aanoda test since iv havent started any medication. He said No, i i shud wait till we are togeda. Although, im not feeling anythg within m buh i just feel i shud start taking drugs.
What do you think?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 11:36am On Nov 21, 2013
cyty:

The septrin I was given @ d clinic is different from the normal septrin, its bigger and of a different shape...So I guess its kind of different from d normal septrin...
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 11:44am On Nov 21, 2013
cyty:

Wow, i really dnt know What to say buh im really touched. Your story is close to mine.
I ws pursuing a job in lagos just cos my fiance stays in Lag so for me to join him,ds ws early ds year while in ibadan. In d process, i ws asked to bring My medical report. Went to an hospital and told d doctor i wanted a medical report. At dat point- i braved up and told mysef i wanted to know My HIV status. I ws asked to come d next day. D next day, i went back to d hospital and d doc told m i ws positive. I ws shocked. i left d hospital trecking a long distance not knowing wat i wud do next. Immediately, i caalled My fiance and told him. I really did broke down. I ws shocked/confused.i wondered Where i got it from. After speaking with him,he asked me to come meet him in lagos. Iwent to lagos to meet wiv him and we both wen to two diff hospitals to get tested- i tested positive,he tested negative. Dere and den i told him to move on with his life. Crying bitterly and wonderg Where i must have contacted it frm. And he said NO! We were going thru dis togeda. That same nyt, he made Love to m. Telling m i ws gong no Where. I just felt he wud leave m sooner or ltr cos i cudnt blv it. I left lagos for ibadan with d tot dat it ws over btw US buh im tεlling you, we are still togeda.
After reading thru ds trend ystday, i called him and told him i wanted to go for aanoda test since iv havent started any medication. He said No, i i shud wait till we are togeda. Although, im not feeling anythg within m buh i just feel i shud start taking drugs.
What do you think?
Sweet@ am happy U̶̲̥̅̊ have a man beside U̶̲̥̅̊ who is ready to go through dis journey with U̶̲̥̅̊...But plssssss I will advice u start medication soonest, just go back to the hospital and do the necessary test, know ur CD4 count and do the viral load test...its well with U̶̲̥̅̊ dear....
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by AnOlderAmerican(m): 12:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
cyty:

What do you think?

Follow your instincts. I let one act of loyalty displayed by a friend 2 years ago blind me to many abuses and financial burdens until I finally woke up to what is best for me now. I will value the earlier, happier times and the loyal stand taken on my behalf but I have to respect and care for ME now and receive the treatment (not for HIV+ but as a giving, considerate, and passionate person ) I deserve!
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by buklan: 12:54pm On Nov 21, 2013
Dis trend is so beautiful.
I thank whoever started ds trend. GOD BLESS SIR/MA
From all iv read frm ds trend...I see ppl getting encouraged and getting out of deir hiden shield.

Wat people tend to forget abt ds disease is dat anyone can av it n its not just thru unsafe sex buh also thru some oda means. We can never b too careful . Lets just all pray for those dat av bin infected for a quick cure.

I really have to get mysef tested again cos the last tym I checked myn ws on my birthday month. Dats 5months ago n I ws negative. I thk im due for anoda check up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by buklan: 2:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
Dis trend is so beautiful.
I thank whoever started ds trend. GOD BLESS SIR/MA
From all iv read frm ds trend...I see ppl getting encouraged and getting out of deir hiden shield.

Wat people tend to forget abt ds disease is dat anyone can av it n its notjust thru unsafe sex buh also thru some oda means. We can never b too careful . Lets just all pray for those dat av bin infected for a quick cure.

I really have to get mysef tested again cos the last tym I checked myn ws on my birthday month. Dats 5months ago n I ws negative. I thk im due for anoda check up.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by buklan: 2:56pm On Nov 21, 2013
cyty:

What do you think?

Cyty...
Im so happy for you. I realy admire ur courage in telling him as soon as u found out, damming all cons3quences.
However, I will suggest u go back to d hospital or any hospital u r comfortbale wiv.#HEART TO HEART. U could google heart to heart center,get d address of ur location nearest to u And visit dem.
Dont wait for ur fiance, u shud start medications immediately.ok?
Pls do take care of u and in all....m dnt loose hope

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by soulglo: 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
cyty:

What do you think?

I am so happy for you. Love truly conquers all

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by MariaGoretti: 4:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
I wish we have majority of people who really understands that there is more to life than all these diseases.

An Hiv+ patient is better than any manner of dead person today.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by buklan: 4:19pm On Nov 21, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
I wish we have majority of people who really understands that there is more to life than all these diseases.

An Hiv+ patient is better than any manner of dead person today.

Dnt get. Whats ur point exactly

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by MariaGoretti: 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2013
buklan:

Dnt get. Whats ur point exactly
where there is life, there is hope.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by fsb(m): 7:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
Greatlydia: my
mum hav being living wit HIV for ova 14years now and i love her more
than anyone else in dis world. we eat and drink water together from same
plate and cup. every day i pray and cry to GOD on her behalf to grant
her a long life and take away conplications from her. SHOW THEM LOVE

Thanks for sharing with us the story of your mum....
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by fsb(m): 8:00pm On Nov 21, 2013
icebeatz: Hop3 u dont mind me asking but how do u get your drugs...... my colleague is hiv positive and im d only one he told. He discocered this year though. But when his cd4 runs down, how will he get drugs??

Where is your friend based (state)? It's easier to provide facility names that way...
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by fsb(m): 8:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
Odukes: This is a very nice and informative thread and my support goes out to all positive folks, a female colleague of mind who is positive needs a positive partner to settle down with, any one on this forum who wants to settle down may open up, I will link you up. She is and independent working class.

Thanks Odukes for sharing with us. HIV is not the same thing as leprosy, in other words, there is a guy who is HIV -ve out there who would be willing to get married to her. I have seen a few situations where that happened even though it's a rarity.

But in the meantime, invite your friend to join this thread.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by fsb(m): 8:10pm On Nov 21, 2013
casket:
I feel you. I've been there as well.
Mine wasn't needle prick but a busted condom while shagging one runs babe.
It happened on a Friday evening, I was living in hospital quarters where I was working then.
I took the babe to maternity ward where she was screened and the test was reactive. I did mine as well , I was negative.
There was ICAP facility within the hospital but none of the staff was around to give me some drugs that I could use as post exposure prophylaxis.
I drove down to one of our clients residence and I got combivir with Nevirapin ( wrong combination ).
Taking those drugs was like hell to me. I later changed to ideal and recommended combo and completed the drugs for 28 days.
I'm still negative and pray to remain like that !

Thanks for sharing Mr. Casket. Thank God you were using a condom in the first place....but moral is "RUNZ BABES ARE ALWAYS A BAD IDEA"
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by buklan: 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
where there is life, there is hope.

Agreed.
Now I get!
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by buklan: 9:23pm On Nov 21, 2013
fsb:

Thanks for sharing Mr. Casket. That is why safe sex is being advocated. Let's learn to enjoy sex with condoms...is the moral of this

U dnt seem to get his story. He said his ws due to condom busting whilst ln aaction. Now how shud he have known dat d condom will bust?
Condoms of now adays... toor
Anyways... its well
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by applelady(f): 9:25pm On Nov 21, 2013
Zona.com:

Whats up with the custom job dear? Hope you are fine

I'm alright thanks for asking, I just ignored that my uncle cos I don't know what the outcome would be, I'm now into biz and have forgotten about white collar jobs entirely.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by applelady(f): 9:34pm On Nov 21, 2013
Obinoscopy: Yes, provided they use condom and the person with the virus is compliant with his/her medication. Presently, we even have medications for sero-discordant couples. This will ensure that the man does not infect his wife and vise versa for the rest of their lives

Do they give this medications for sero-discordant couples in Apin clinics or you get it from the pharmacy?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by fsb(m): 9:44pm On Nov 21, 2013
cyty:

FACTS ABOUT SEPTRIN:

Q1. Does Septrin kill HIV virus?
Septrin has no direct effect on the virus

Q2. If it has no anti-viral effects, why did my doctor prescribe the drug?
Although, it has no anti-viral effects, it is prescribed to HIV infected individuals in the following circumstances:
a - ALL HIV infected persons who are co-infected with Tuberculosis (irrespective of CD4 count)
b - ALL HIV infected persons with CD4 count <350. WHY?

BECAUSE, people with a CD4 count <350 are at increased risk for the following:
*severe bacterial infections (including diarrhoea - remember, septrin is a combination of 2 antibiotics)
*prophylaxis against Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (due to a fungi and seen in persons with a CD4 <200)
*prophylaxis against Toxoplasmosis (an infection of the brain due to an organism called Toxoplasma gondii, and found in cat faeces)
*it is also useful against Malaria (but it is usually NOT given for this reason alone)

Q3. How should it be taken?
Usually, a single double-strength (giant sized) tablet is taken daily. Septrin is NOT for ALL patients who are infected with HIV and it should be prescribed by your physician

Q4. Who should not use Septrin? Include
a - Individuals allergic to sulfa drugs
b - Pregnant women in their 1st trimester
c - Babies less than 6weeks of age who have been exposed to the virus
d - Breastfeeding women who are HIV infected (in the first 6 weeks after child birth)

Q5. What are possible side effects of Septrin? Include
a - Skin eruptions
b - Renal insufficiency
c - Hepatitis
d - Anemia & other signs of bone marrow suppression
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by fsb(m): 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
applelady:

Do they give this medications for sero-discordant couples in Apin clinics or you get it from the pharmacy?

* the medications (HAART therapy) are for the infected partner only
* medications used for HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) have serious side effects and should never be purchased from a pharmacy for several reasons
* contraception is encouraged to prevent a change in status of the uninfected partner
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by NaijaDoWell: 7:04am On Nov 22, 2013
Congratz everyone! I am proud to know dat people are begining to come out and understand the issues. We from the Civil Societies (NGO) we hv dis challenge of convincing ppl to go for testing. Even simple test to prevent breast cancer, ppl find it difficult. They wuld rather say 'its not my portion'!
Thank God our effort at enlightening d public is yielding good fruit. I would like to hav volunteers who can publicly speak at forum about their status. Interested persons can reach me on bigboy2real-at-yahoo-dotcom.
Note dat we enlighenghten people on all medical and social conditions! Its a free service to humanity. Its fun!
STAY HEALTHY!
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 8:42am On Nov 22, 2013
[quote. author=NaijaDoWell]Congratz everyone! I am proud to know dat people are begining to come out and understand the issues. We from the Civil Societies (NGO) we hv dis challenge of convincing ppl to go for testing. Even simple test to prevent breast cancer, ppl find it difficult. They wuld rather say 'its not my portion'!
Thank God our effort at enlightening d public is yielding good fruit. I would like to hav volunteers who can publicly speak at forum about their status. Interested persons can reach me on bigboy2real-at -yahoo-dotcom.
Note dat we enlighenghten people on all medical and social conditions! Its a free service to humanity. Its fun!
STAY HEALTHY![/quote] I will love to do that @ least to let people know they can still ve a better life even their status especially the youth
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 22, 2013
Did u peeps not hear about d 'ciclopirox cure' Plz hw true is this...and is that 'ciclopirox' common in Nigeria
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 22, 2013
Kizmarty: Uzuazokaro<when there is life,there is HOPE>.this is a great initiative & am happy to be part of this.

I heard of something called'ciclopirox',that it can cure HIV;is it true?if yes..how is it applied*have got an infected relative,really need to help*

ANY CONTRIBUTION TO THIS
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by skypopson(m): 10:49am On Nov 22, 2013
Mobsync: Really inspriring posts here. I don't know my status and I'm afraid to go for testing.

Does anyone here know an HIV testing centre in Ilorin, Kwara state?
Yes.you can get it done @ UITH & ur result will be strictly confidential
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by teddybearlove(f): 11:59am On Nov 22, 2013
I hv been positive since 2004 nov,it hasn't been easy,my aunt shoved me to d boys quaters from d main flat,gave me separate plates n cutleries,but if u c me today u can swear I'm hiv negative,I guess I'll have write my story smday,relationships hvnt been easy cos dey leave after I tell dem of my status wit d "I don't wanna catch it" excuse,I'm alive n healthy,I'm on ARVs n cd4 is high

6 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by teddybearlove(f): 12:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
cyty:

What do you think?

I tink u should see ur doc n do a cd4 count test b4 d doc can put u on meds or can tell u to just eat healthy n take immunace,u r blessed u still hv ur man,mine took to his heels like one sighting a ghost.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Obinoscopy(m): 8:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
applelady:

APIN Clinics and other heart to heart centres can provide services for HIV sero-discordant couples. Its not advisable you get these drugs from a pharmacy without going through the proper channel (heart to heart centre for counselling and prescription).

I also recommend you read these materials:

www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/prep/
www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/9789241501972/en/
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by rezzy: 9:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
I have been so scared since sunday. The make-up artist that wants to make me up on my wedding day came around to do a test on my face. The blade mistakenly cut her, she cleand it and turn the other end. I didnt want to sound rude by saying pls dont touch my face again with ur wounded fingers. So i just stayed calm, when she turned the blade and used tissue to tie her finger. When i bathed, i found out that one of my eyes brow is peppery me. Since then, fear dey catch me o. Cos i dont know her HIV status

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Rejects Cars Exxonmobil Donated / 387 New COVID-19 Cases, 105 Discharged And 2 Deaths On May 29 - (2099 Tested) / A Lesson From Tramadol Abuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.